Windows 8 Consumer Preview kill DDD/IZ3D/3D Vision?

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Earmack
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Windows 8 Consumer Preview kill DDD/IZ3D/3D Vision?

Post by Earmack »

UPD: Microsoft released Win 8 Consumer preview release!!!
download: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download
Also AMD released NEW WIN 8 drivers with some very VERY interesting (for US (3D USERS)) features:
download here:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pa ... ivers.aspx

Feature highlights of the AMD Catalyst™ driver for the Windows® 8 Consumer Preview:
Full WDDM 1.2
Highlights include:
Native Stereo 3D support: Windows 8 will natively support Stereo 3D for full-screen and windowed gaming, and video applications
Unified Video API – Video playback is now integrated within the DirectX® 11 API; enabling simultaneous high quality Video and 3D content, and the potential for enhanced video transcoding performance
Optimized screen rotation
improved sleep / resume performance
Optimized Power Consumption

So Im very excited about this, intertesting Tridef ignition works with that?
Sapphire 7970 ghz 6gb
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH
Intel I7 3770k @3,5ghz
Kingston DDR3 khx21c11t2k2/16x 4 x 8gb = 32gb
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000 M
Windows 8 Pro 64x
Samsung UE40D7000LS
HDMI 1.4a
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview kill DDD/IZ3D/3D Vision?

Post by cirk2 »

Without being able to confirm it:
I think the "old" way Tridef etc. currently use will still work (we're talking windows here, and thus it is backwards compatible). But ther could be a possibility to unify the middle wares to work via the new Windows/DirectX interface so Tridef and DDD could work with 3DVision if nvidia also includes Win8-style 3D support in their drivers.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Then microsoft will release their own sets of 3d-hardware which is supported only by win8 (and win8 only supports them of course...). I'm just joking but in these times things tend to go this direction. Are everybody sure native 3d in an op-system is good?
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

Probably it will be the same thing as with DX10: Not for earlier systems. But i suspect that the will give DX11.1 to Win 7 because they know that win 8 will fail horribly...
Own set of hardware won't be likely... that would mean to pull of a complete new product category and we havn't seen any hype about it. Also Microsoft hasn't propagated native 3D support as some kind of killer-feature so i doubt the'll monetize it much.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

This would only kill 3rd party drivers if game developers all embraced it and coded native support, which is probably not happening any time soon (though I wish). Even the few games that have native support, it was because of partnerships with the GPU makers (mostly Nvidia). This wouldn't be possible unless Microsoft was putting some muscle behind this. And there will still need to be drivers to support specific display setups, especially weird stuff like dual projector, planar mirror, etc.
sinean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sinean »

It would be nice if DDD and iz3d continue development and if game developers want to add 3d to their games to just add a side by side option regardless of what hardware the game detects or doesn't at least minimally. Most 3d monitors have sbs. Like Crysis 2
Asus Sabertooth P67
Intel I5@4.5ghz
16gigs of Gskill 1600@1866
850Watt Pc&c Power supply
6950's in Crossfire
Windows 7 Premium x64
12.8 drivers
Vizio E3D320vx
Samsung S27A950D
LG WH12LS39 3D Blu-ray
CoolRonZ
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CoolRonZ »

i also read somewhere they said 3D natively in Windows 8, then it specified it required middleware to use it.... I'm like what? hahaha I'll pass... Until someone actually uses Windows 8 and confirms how it works.... altho I have seen posts about how to get DDD to work in Windows 8 by googling.... again a driver related thing the hardware companies are supposed to work on.... I'm just glad my CF HD7970s work in 3D in Windows 7 unlike the odd game that gets worse performance in CF and EYEfinity(5760x1080) but i must say the new 12.11 drivers rock my CF setup!!!!! :D
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

Direct3D 11.1 SDK documentation has been released back in September 2011 and I assume no major changes have been made since.

So yes, it's just a quad-buffer interface much like AMD HD3D, which requires either your game/application or middleware "stereo driver" to implement actual rendering into each L/R view.

Far from a developer-friendly solution when you pass a flag and the Direct3D runtime takes care of the rest.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”