Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D

Talk about the latest 3D movies in the theater and at home!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D

Post by Chiefwinston »

A flaming skeleton riding a motorcycle always looks cool. And so we now have a second Ghost Rider movie. There are area's of the film that come across kinda cheesey. The 3D is weak. I'm thinking its probably a conversion. It's actually quite a weird movie at times- story wise. But I did enjoy the show.

Chief's score card:
Story: 7
Acting: 8
Special effects: 8
3D: 6.5/6.75
Final Score: 7.25

Dispite some flaws this is a strangely entertaining movie. The 3D is there but hardly noticable at times. I'll be looking for the 3D Blu-ray in the coming months.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D

Post by cybereality »

Probably the only reason I would see this film is the 3D. If you think its weak, I guess I'll just pass.
Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Gae43 »

Yes, it's a conversion.

http://realorfake3d.com/

I refuse to watch a new film that is converted because personally, I don't want to promote widespread use of this method. For me, the only pleasure that I get from a live action 3D movie is knowing that it was shot with two lenses on the set. You can't replicate the real thing with a conversion. I read elswhere and agree that a natively shot 3D movie has in "infinite" amount of reflective 3D elements to the 2nd view. No conversion can ever create that natural phenomenon. When I saw my one and only modern day 3D conversion "Captain America", I could see throughout flat 2D areas within every image of the film and it bugged the hell out of me. In the end, i forgot the movie and just played "spot the element that they missed".

Gae43
Neil

Post by Neil »

Check this article out:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... n?page=all

I suppose if your fixated on not having more than a few hairs of separation, it doesn't matter if you want to use camera rigs or 2D/3D conversion. It's only when you really get down and dirty that the differences (and benefits) become clear.

Regards,
Neil
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

They didn't take the time to learn 3d-shooting properly and therefore junked it. Imbeciles... :roll:
Another option is to make the entire movie cg animated (those are the only that actually works to some degree). Then 3d is almost an easy bonus and besides that: proper. I just can't state how much i dislike how the late evolution with 3d-movies has gone.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Likay wrote: Another option is to make the entire movie cg animated (those are the only that actually works to some degree). Then 3d is almost an easy bonus and besides that: proper.
Maybe easy, but not free. That means they have to either double their render time or double to computers to render. Some films could spends months just rendering, so this adds significant cost.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

At least we get some actual real movies in 3d, which they never really had before. The 3d out now reminds me of the tape recorder tapes of the 80's, where you like the mechanics of it but it takes a hard time to get to the right spot and wish the quality was better.

The light bulb has not gone on yet for some things in 3d mainstream.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Gae43 »

On the bright side...House of Wax and Dial M for Murder on Blu-ray 3D might make up for some of the modern day 3D shortcomings. :)

http://3dperfection.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... ay-be.html

Gae43
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

Gae43 wrote:On the bright side...House of Wax and Dial M for Murder on Blu-ray 3D might make up for some of the modern day 3D shortcomings. :)

http://3dperfection.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... ay-be.html

Gae43
Now you're talking!
I've been putting off getting a 3D Blu-Ray player because there is still nothing worth watching out there. I've told myself that I will buy the player as soon as Dial M for Murder is released.
It drives me crazy that they will spend millions converting films like Titanic and The Phantom Menace (not to mention all the new films released in fake 3D) but they continue to ignore the substantial catalogue of titles that are already in 3D, just waiting to be released.

It's a world gone mad.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

cybereality wrote:Maybe easy, but not free. That means they have to either double their render time or double to computers to render. Some films could spends months just rendering, so this adds significant cost.
They could also convert those scenes in the same way they did for Meet the Robinsons, ie. using the 2D render and the 3D assets to generate the second image.

With the appropriate tools I guess the render time would only be a fraction of a standard second view render, with a much better result than a standard 2D-3D conversion.
Gae43 wrote:On the bright side...House of Wax and Dial M for Murder on Blu-ray 3D might make up for some of the modern day 3D shortcomings. :)
Nice find, signed up... :)
ShawmK wrote:It drives me crazy that they will spend millions converting films like Titanic and The Phantom Menace (not to mention all the new films released in fake 3D) but they continue to ignore the substantial catalogue of titles that are already in 3D, just waiting to be released.
It's a question of patience I guess, you can already find one 3D movie and two 3D shorts from the 50's on the PSN (The Mad Magician and two Three Stooges shorts), with at least one more to come (Miss Sadie Thompson) and probably some others from the 10 owned by Sony (Gun Fury, Man in the Dark, etc.).

Return to “3D Movies (Blu-Ray and Theater)”