Does DLP Link finally work with HDMI 1.4a Projectors?

Shutter glasses and custom polarized! Talk about them here.
billqs
One Eyed Hopeful

Does DLP Link finally work with HDMI 1.4a Projectors?

Post by billqs »

I've seen several very nice inexpensive DLP 3D projectors that are built for the HDMI 1.4a spec. I'm currently using an ACER H5360 and while I love the picture it produces, I'm pulling my hair out over left/right eye pseudostereo because DLP Link does not control which eye a signal is being fed to.

Does anyone know if this has been corrected with more recent projectors such as the ACER H9500BD? If I knew for certain I would get correct eye sync everytime, I would buy this one, but if it's still hit and miss, I'll probably go with something like the Optoma HD33 that has the Bit Cauldron RF system.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Does DLP Link finally work with HDMI 1.4a Projectors?

Post by Dom »

I don't know about the syncing problems but I seen these glasses which have a button on them to switch eyes: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-True-Depth-3D- ... 20c0993ec1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

I am looking at the Optoma GT750E. It supports DLP-Link, but it also has a VESA 3-PIN SYNC-PORT (thank god) so you can always use IR glasses.
billqs
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by billqs »

The new ACER H9500BD has better specs than the Optoma HD33, but the lack of a 3 pin VESA gives me pause. I also like the idea of the RF BitCauldron glasses that Optoma is using in addition to DLP Link.

Several users over at AVS Forums state they haven't had to change polarity using the ACER H9500BD in DLPLink and that eye sync seems perfect. I would still like some other opinions as I am more bothered about reverse eye polarity than the average user.
GregK
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GregK »

The DLP Link reversed 3-D nightmare is over. (Thank goodness!!)

I can confirm the HD33 (an HDMI 1.4 projector) now handles DLP-Link with correct L/R orientiation 100% of the time.

I've previously owned the Optoma HD66 (3D ready -meaning before the HDMI 1.4 specs were in place) and with DLP Link, as most of know, the odds of correct L/R orientation were 50/50. It could do nvidia IR 3-D correctly, as nvidia had standards for that. But sadly there were never Link orientation standards for 120hz 3-D signals fed into these PJs.

On a sidenote, Rear PJ Checkerboard DLP never had this problem, as with checkerboard encoding, the pattern was always consistant. With 120hz alterating L/R frames, the pre-HDMI 1.4 PJs had no idea which frame was left and which was right. It could change whenever the signal changed or was disrupted.

Now that all 3-D formats are handled internally by the DLP PJ (be it converting side by side, top bottom, or HDMI 1.4 3-D content) the white or red DLP link flash is no longer left to chance on where it is inserted.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yes, I can confirm that DLP-Link works with newer HDMI 1.4a projectors, specifically the Optoma GT750. The only issue I have is sometimes the glasses will shut off in specific parts of L4D2 (and then maybe turn back on inverted). This is usually when I look up at a light (yellowish white) colored sky. I guess this looks similar to the white flashes and confuses the glasses. Luckily the glasses I have can be inverted by clicking a button, so its not a big deal. I could also swap eyes on the projector if needed (but obviously much easier with the glasses). With Blu-Ray 3D movies there is no inversion though for the whole movie.
GregK
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GregK »

On a minor sidenote, the Optoma HD33 uses a red DLP-link flash instead of a white flash. This may help with "all white" scene scenarios and possible Link 3-D Glasses misfires.
CoolRonZ
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CoolRonZ »

cybereality wrote:I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

I am looking at the Optoma GT750E. It supports DLP-Link, but it also has a VESA 3-PIN SYNC-PORT (thank god) so you can always use IR glasses.
I love x3 my GT750E.... of course i feel my HD7970 having hdmi1.4a out also helps.... i have BenQ DLP glasses from my old MW512 3D project(what a pain to get running, when it actually did do 3D) wich sync up just fine. DLP 3D is a set standard, so i cant see a $35 pair off of eBay not doing the job? I'll kno forsure in about 3 weeks.... DLP and the GT750E just work! Its soooo easy to get up and running... with my PS3 its even easier, no software to buy, just works! but with more and more 3D SBS stuff being downloadable, PC 3D is coming right along :D
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Not all DLP glasses are created equal due to tint and light leakage. So far, my best glasses are Optoma ZD201.

Return to “3D Glasses”