3d on Samsung DLP 3D Plasma

Own a 3D HDTV? Trying to learn about the latest and greatest? Post here!
Aztec
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Aztec »

chrisdfw,
I think it will just flicker too much. Plasmas only work at 60 hz, maybe a DLP would work. Anyways, I got very good results using old nvidia patched drivers and TriDef glasses (using the same Tridef dvi-hdmi connection, Tridef IR emmiter connected to TV, etc. ). This method only works with vertical mode, checkermode is not available.

It looks even better than the days I used the edimensional vga adapter with CRTs. Pros are it looks as good as using TriDef drivers, works with many old games and modern simple 3D applications. Cons are it only works with series 7 or older cards and that's all. Modern games might require a specific driver anyway. We gotta wait for an universal driver or nvidia upgraded drivers to work with 8800 cards or better.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Aztec, you forgot Perfomance! It is much better with GF7 :D

Or at least I expect it to be faster than FG8 and Trideff...

Does someone know, if this patch workes for the gf8? Maybe with this 'trick':

http://mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t ... ght=manual

afaik it should have some limited compatibility...

I'm thinking about getting a GF8 and try it out...
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

chrisdfw wrote:Unfortunately I am not going to be home for a week to try something on my Samsung Plasma so I was wondering if someone else could.

What happens if you hook up to it using the VGA connection using a 7900 series card and older working Nvidia drivers and have the refresh rate set to 120hz?

I am hoping that if the Plasma really is 120hz that it will let you synch to it at 120hz over vga and do the 3d-stereo test screen as well as games. I personally don't like the checkerboard pattern and would love to get it doing full screen page flipping at 120hz.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can test this.
well without having it tested i am 99,99% sure it will just jump into "unsupported mode". As i understand the *real* frequency you feed the set is always (let me look into manual for mine) 60hz at 1360 and ax. 75hz at 1024. So..the 120hz are created by internal doubling..but i think you cant feed 120hz to the set.

Also..when i hooked i up via VGA i didnt have 120hz available to select.

The other Q is whether pageflip would work AT ALL..using the (totally useless) ED drivers i used 75hz 1024...and i got a distorded screen. Pageflip didnt work as far as i remember..
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

LukePC1 wrote:Aztec, you forgot Perfomance! It is much better with GF7 :D

Or at least I expect it to be faster than FG8 and Trideff...

Does someone know, if this patch workes for the gf8? Maybe with this 'trick':

http://mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t ... ght=manual

afaik it should have some limited compatibility...

I'm thinking about getting a GF8 and try it out...
the latest drivers seem to have changed registry values, so the old "hack" doesnt work.

All i could do with experimenting is actually let it display the shutter-glasses instead of red/cyan...but i cant set any options nor output for shutters or on the DLP, it still displays anaglyph and constantly says "only anaglyph allowed for this display".
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

Sorry to hear it.
I wonder, why they limited the input to 60 and 75hz, when the system can output 120hz without problems? Except it does not realy 120hz...
If the pixels need some time to 'cool down' then we have a explanation why it has 'only' 75hz - and for the ghosting...

For the real DLP TV's it was the chip which did the mirroring afaik. So it could do 120hz, but only on low resolution... Maybe that would work :?

All very slim hopes and speculations :roll:
ayqz1u0s

android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

LukePC1 wrote:I wonder, why they limited the input to 60 and 75hz, when the system can output 120hz without problems
I believe this can be explained:
flexy wrote:As i understand the *real* frequency you feed the set is always (let me look into manual for mine) 60hz at 1360 and ax. 75hz at 1024. So..the 120hz are created by internal doubling..but i think you cant feed 120hz to the set.
I believe this is a limitation of the input/transmission bandwidth. It's easy to have many additional bandwidth internally, but you're limited with the external connections.
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

android78 wrote:
LukePC1 wrote:I wonder, why they limited the input to 60 and 75hz, when the system can output 120hz without problems
I believe this can be explained:
flexy wrote:As i understand the *real* frequency you feed the set is always (let me look into manual for mine) 60hz at 1360 and ax. 75hz at 1024. So..the 120hz are created by internal doubling..but i think you cant feed 120hz to the set.
I believe this is a limitation of the input/transmission bandwidth. It's easy to have many additional bandwidth internally, but you're limited with the external connections.
Why can my CRT conected by VGA cable - which is relativly outdated - get the picture @ 1024 with 100hz+?

Shouldn't there be some improvements in bandwith :?
At least I know, that I won't get a plasma - except it's cheaper than anything else :D
ayqz1u0s

android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

LukePC1 wrote:Why can my CRT conected by VGA cable - which is relativly outdated - get the picture @ 1024 with 100hz+?
Shouldn't there be some improvements in bandwith :?
At least I know, that I won't get a plasma - except it's cheaper than anything else :D
The actual data transmitted through HDMI (or DVI) is actually higher since it also includes the audio data. The actual data rate for 1080p/60Hz/8 Bits per chanel is 4.46 Gbps by the time you add the header and other over heads (8 bits encoded in a 10 bit word, error correction info, etc) and this is close to the max for the HDMI 1 spec (4.95 Gbps). There have been improvements though and in future, the 120 Hz at 1080p, 8 bits can be done through HDMI 1.3 since they've more than doubled the bandwidth to 10.2 Gbps.
You should also remember the analogue, you can get very high resolution since it doesn't matter if there is slight bluring between adjcent pixels (usually happens horizontally) and with monitors, they are able to compensate for this to re-sharpen the image.

Return to “3D HDTVs”