Optoma GT750E, 720p, hdmi 1.4a, 3d projector

Share your experiences and learn about big-screen 3D gaming.
seattledesi
One Eyed Hopeful

Optoma GT750E, 720p, hdmi 1.4a, 3d projector

Post by seattledesi »

http://www.optomausa.com/products/detail/GT750E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoughts? Opinions? First hand reviews?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Optoma GT750E, 720p, hdmi 1.4a, 3d projector

Post by cybereality »

I've been eyeing that one also. It sounds absolutely incredible. In my living room I could have a ~120" 3D screen.

I am almost considering getting that instead of the the Sony HMZ-T1. Its a tough call.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Oh, so I ended up getting this projector. Shipping will take a week or so. But I am really excited to soon have a 100"+ 3D theater in my living room.
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

cybereality wrote:Oh, so I ended up getting this projector. Shipping will take a week or so. But I am really excited to soon have a 100"+ 3D theater in my living room.
Great!
I'm sure your views on this pj will help me as i'm seriously thinking about getting the uk gt750.
Cybereality i'd be very greatfull if you could test 3dtvplay frame packing and 3dvision 120hzpage flipping, wondering which glasses and 3d option works best.
Love the fact this pj can do frame packing and has 120hz input, this 2x colourwheel thing seems alittle iffy though but i know if you say the pj is ok that's good enough to seal the deal for me :)
Ta
Samsung ps51e6500, Acer h5360bd + 80" fixed screen
Sli Gigabyte gtx670 Windforce x3
Intel 3770k Oc'd + Noctua Nh-D14
Asus Sabertooth Z77
8gb 2133mhz Crucial Smart Tracers Oc'd
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX
Demciflex full Magnetic Filter Set

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
Coolermaster Sirus 5.1 Headset
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well I will probably do a more in depth review at some point, but here is a quick overview after testing last night.:

First off, in 2D the projector is nice and bright, great colors and a sharp picture. Looks very good, and the screen is absolutely huge (I got up to 116" in my living room). It can do 120Hz at 720P (2D). I have not noticed much rainbow effects, aside from extreme situations (like moving the white cursor over a black desktop really fast). Normally when playing games or movies I did not notice rainbows at all.

In terms of 3D, the GT750 supports HDMI 1.4a and also SBS, over/under, and frame-sequential. I was just testing on my non-3D laptop, so I just used SBS. The 3D is great, no ghosting or anything (if there is, its not noticeable). I have DLP-Link glasses, and they were able to keep perfect sync with the display. Played some games with the IZ3D driver, and also tried the Stereoscopic Player. Both worked well. I imagine Nvidia 3DTV Play and AMD HD3D will work with no problems, but I have not tested yet.

Keep in mind this is NOT a 3D Vision projector and will NOT work with Nvidia glasses. The GT750 can use either DLP-Link glasses (which I used) or Optoma RF glasses. It comes with the VESA emitter, but the RF glasses are around $85 a pop. I got the DLP-Link glasses for $40, though I've heard the RF ones are slightly better. Technically it could work with even older glasses like eDimensional and ELSA, etc. but the wire or IR emitter would be limiting.

Also, the best part: there are not one but TWO 3D buttons on the remote. One controls the 3D input format (Auto, SBS, etc.) and one controls the sync method (DLP-Link, VESA, etc.). Amazing. No need to go through complex menus to enable or disable 3D. Very cool.

Hopefully I will have time to do a proper write-up, but so far this projector looks like gold.
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

Thanks Cyber,
From what i read the 750e does work with 3dvision, needs a edid overide, allso it's stated the 3dv glasses work allso?
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?show ... &p=1348268

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?show ... &p=1400297

If you have time could you test the 3dv glaases please, i've allways wanted a pair and would love a them with teh gt750 as there so cheap from amazon uk for the v2 kit, and if possible test the optoma glasses out with 3dvision 120z obviously with teh edid mod.

Some edids can be found here if you need them.
http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopi ... =27&t=2027

Lookinhg at ordering teh 750 in about 5 days :)
As 3dv2 kit is only alittle more than 3dtvplay i may aswell get the kit which will unlock 3dtvplay if 3dv does'nt work, this way i get 3dtvplay free as many times as i want and have the option of 3dv other j's and screens ect.
Time to give abit back so 3dtvplay or 3dv2 wil get some cash off me :)

One more thing :)
Hows the panning judder in films, i like to use interpolation with my films so the judder would be annoying, allthough using a pc with sbs material we can use Smooth Video Project, can't do this for 3d bluray though but it can be used with 2d bluray.
Seeing as how i'd want full 3d blurays togo with this pj i'm wondering if it's watchable if i'm addicted to frame rate smoothing for films.
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well I only have it plugged in my (non-3D) laptop, so I can't test with 3D Vision. Don't feel like lugging my huge PC to the living room for this. I figured there might be a hack, but I don't like to give people purchase recommendations based on hacks that may or may not work in the next driver update. Also, to be honest, the Nvidia glasses are not that great. The 3D looks nice, sure, but they are pretty dark compared to other stuff out there. The other problem with Nvidia, is that the emitter needs a line-of-sight to the glasses (meaning you will need to somehow wire it so the emitter is in the front of the room). DLP-Link syncs directly with the screen, no emitters. The Optoma RF glasses also don't need line-of-sight either. Personally find the DLP-Link glasses to work nice, but admittedly I have not tried anything else on this projector.

Probably watch a Blu-Ray tonight and I will comment on any judder, or how it handles 24P content. Did watch some 1080P video clips (Blu-Ray rips, so I assume at 24P) and they looked pretty darn good. It does properly handle 120Hz at 720P, so I assume you can use 5:5 pulldown if you have the right hardware/software (never tried myself). Not sure if that would work in 3D, though. Did watch some Avatar in 3D, and I didn't notice any choppiness (though I wasn't looking for it either). Clearly this is not a 1080P projector, but it supports a 1080P signal and still looks crisp (though you can see some stair-casing in games without AA).

Also, I started to notice the rainbow effect a little more. If you stare straight at the screen you don't see it at all, but if you move your eyes around quickly it is there. So for movies, this is not much of a problem, but in games (especially FPS) you may be quickly scanning around the screen to see enemies and this can make the rainbows show. Honestly it is not so bad, and not enough for me to be disappointed. I still love this projector. But it should be mentioned, I know some people are more sensitive than others.
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

Thanks Cyber,
I remember on my hd700x i seen rainbows for teh first few weeks, even after changing teh bulb i never seen them again after the first few weeks, i take it my brain become accustomed to something or another.
I could shake my head and still see no rainbows :)
Cant wait, only another 5 days :)

I'm having issues with the screen though.
As this will be a 3d gaming and 3d film pj 99% i need a higher than 1.0 gain as i'll allways be using the pj with glasses.

There's a deal with the rf glasses so i'll just get them and see if the edid overide works via other methods with the rf glasses.
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I'm using the projector currently on an off-white colored wall. It still looks decent. Will probably paint the wall with a fresh coat of white paint (from this article: http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_p ... n_$100.htm ). Don't feel like spend big bucks on special projector paint.
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

Last year like a freak i decorated my whole front room black, it's very hard to find anything i must say and loads of people hurt there nose when they walk into my black doors, it's stupid really fro a front room but i get maximum fun in a dark room and a 3dtv.
So i no longer have a wall i can paint white due to the wallpaper has raised bits.

So a woodworking friend is going to build me a 100"ish frame for something or another, plan was to keep it cheap with blackout material but after seeing teh drop off of around 50% in brightness in 3d i think a blackout is'nt going to cut the mustard enough, -50%+40% witha 1.4 gain screen should roughly = -10% in loss of brightness,should help to bring back teh brightenss in 3d, but to get the 1.4 gain i'm finding that a £50 budget is'nt enough for what's going to cost around £100/£150.
Times like this i wish i had a flat white wall again :(

Allso read that sometimes a higher gain screen can be abit gash for 2d, seeing as how the gt750 will only be used for 3d 99% of the time i think i can live with this easily.

100% getting teh 750 in a few days time, shame i'll have nowhere to use it untill i've seen how big i like the image and then make the screen.
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
rde
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rde »

Hi, how does it compare to the acer H5360BD ? Would you rather go for the acer ?
Anyone who have both ?
The better brightness 3200 vs 2500 might make it better for 3d daylight viewing ?
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

Seeing as how a 1.0 gain screen would'nt fit the bill for 3d for me i found that my budget was suddenly too little for what i wanted so in the end i ended up with a z77, 3770k, sli gtx670 gigabyte windforce, vertex 4 128gb.
Lol
I could'nt afford teh pj and screen, god knows how i afforded that lot, it's beans and spaggetti for awhile :(

The 670's run awfull, the 3770k with hyper threading on sucks and i have HT off lol.

Should of just got a high gain screen and teh gt750 :roll:
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Just sell one of the 670's and get the PJ. I'm just using it on a white wall, its fine.
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

cybereality wrote:Just sell one of the 670's and get the PJ. I'm just using it on a white wall, its fine.

I'll most likey get a pj next time, i know though i would'nt be happy with a white wall or a 1.0 gain screen, i'd want around 1.4 gain.
At least when the time comes in a few months there will be plenty of power to power the pj :)
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
seattledesi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by seattledesi »

sweet! When is the full review Cyber?

I'm still in the market for a 3d PJ, and waiting for the dust to settle.

What games did you try in SBS? Does the game need to support the "half-frame" resolution? im fuzzy on this topic.

Can you hook it up to a PS3? How well does it work?

What about PJ placement? i believe this PJ doesnt have any lens zoom (fixed focus).

Also instead of wall paint, highly recommend getting a high-gain screen.. as 3d glasses cut the brightness, i'm confident a screen like Da-lite High Power will do nicely.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/da-lite ... review.htm
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@seattledesi: Yeah, I'm still planning on doing the review. Just got side-tracked with some stuff.

In terms of SBS I tried YouTube3D, the IZ3D driver with Lead4Dead and Half-Life 2 Ep 1, Stereoscopic Player. It works well, and the 3D effect is nice. However the resolution takes a noticeable hit. It just looks blurry and low quality. I guess this is OK for YouTube3D, but I would not want to play a game like this if I didn't have to.

The HDMI 1.4a frame-packing mode looks way better. I have played a number of games like this (L4D, HL2, Far Cry 2) and it looks great. I also tried 3D Blu-Ray. Very nice. Its only 720P, so its not the best quality I've ever seen, but it still looks fine. Everything is nice and crisp, and the projector is still bright even in 3D. I'm using DLP-Link glasses, and they are brighter than some other shutter glasses I've tried in the past (like 3D Vision 1). And this is just on a white wall, surely it would be better with a pro screen. Should work fine with PS3, but I don't have one so I don't know.

Yes, the PJ has no zoom or anything. But it is a short-throw, so you can get a huge image. I have mine on the bottom of a coffee table about 6 feet from the wall, and I get a 100" image. Very nice. I could probably mount it on the ceiling if I wanted, but its nice not having a bunch of wires hanging off the walls.

Overall, I am very happy with the purchase, and the thing is a lot of fun.
seattledesi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by seattledesi »

any updates on the projector Cyber? anything better on the market? Prices are under $700 for this model now..

advise on the glasses and where one could get them for cheap will also help..
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The projector is great. I don't know of anything better (for any price). Recommended.

In terms of glasses, I just got some Chinese generic DLP-Link glasses from eBay. Seem to work OK.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

I've been quite happy with the True Depth 3D DLP-LINK Rechargeable 3D Glasses I bought at Amazon for around $60. They've been trouble free after 6 months of use thus far.

Just a few days ago I purchased Dimensional Optics DLP Link 3D Glasses for DLP 3D TVs and Projectors rechargeable from Amazon. It was $99 for a pair and came with cases and a wall plug adapter. They seem to be the same glasses as the TrueDepth, just rebadged.

If you do get DLP link glasses, make sure you get some that allow you to reset the sync on the glasses. (so much easier than toggling thru the PJ menu)

Oh and stay away from glasses that use proprietary non-rechargeable batteries that you have to reorder from the manufacturer.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Ok, I finally had a chance to use the Dimensional Optics DLP Link 3D Rechargeable Glasses for DLP 3D TVs and Projectors .

They seem to be the exact same as the True Depth 3D DLP-LINK Rechargeable Glasses, just a different name on the side.

I've had the True Depth 3D DLP-LINK Rechargeable for over 6 months now without a problem, so I imagine these will have no problems as well.

Return to “3D Projectors”