What technology to use for precise parallax barrier?

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
valterdaw
One Eyed Hopeful

What technology to use for precise parallax barrier?

Post by valterdaw »

Hi All! I need your wisdom... My experiments with a various slanted parallax barriers lead me to conclusion that lines needs to be very precise and not a "hairy" ones, coming from even very good inkjet or laser printer.

What other technologies to create precise PB available? I read in one paper, that they used Black Mylar film and then used computer controlled laser to cut a stripes. But no reference to where to get this setup or whether it's possible to subcontract it to any company...

So the question is - what are the methods available to create precise PB other then printer? Marking laser? Something else? Thank you!!!!
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: What technology to use for precise parallax barrier?

Post by Fredz »

If you are using slanted barriers I guess you do the interzigging yourself, in this case instead of looking at a more precise way of building your parallax barrier you could try to adapt your interdigitation algorithm to your non-perfect parallax barrier. If the problem lies with the rectangular look of the image you'll need to do some anti-aliasing over it too.

Also I suppose you are printing slanted bars, if you didn't try yet you could simply try to display vertical bars as with orthogonal parallax barriers, then slant the sheet afterwards while on the screen.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I used an Epson Workforce 1100 printer for my parallax barrier project, and it worked good enough. I was using vertical lines, but I imagine you could print slanted ones as well (I did not try this, though).
valterdaw
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by valterdaw »

Thank you for replies!!! I am actually using the same printer for testing purposes. Under microscope lines are not really solid enough and with with high brightness screen and sub pixel interzigging (love the word lol) a lot of light bleeds where it shouldn't and resulting image contrast becomes not that good...

That's a very good point, Fredz! Printed barriers worked only with orthogonal printing and then sheet rotation and I spend a lot of time tweaking algorithms, but a lot still can be done.

At design studio I took my microscope to explore one of the industrial PB monitors, and the lines was just perfect... I don't know what they used to make it, as it is definitely seems to be a retrofit to me, and not a factory production...
sebastiaan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sebastiaan »

Maybe a bit late buy you could use a imagesetter.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”