3D Gaming on PCs Is Looking Bigger and Brighter (Literally)

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

3D Gaming on PCs Is Looking Bigger and Brighter (Literally)

Post by Silversurfer »

I would be lying if I said I was going to rush out to buy a new PC and 3D monitor so I can stab zombies in the brain in 3D, but I can honestly tell you Nvidia's 3D Vision 2 is much better than the original.

Nvidia's second jab at 3D gaming on the PC fixes a lot of the problems with the original: The images are twice as bright, thanks to a tech Nvidia's calling LightBoost, which essentially lets more light through the lenses at a time (3D tends to be dim, as you might've noticed at the movies). The new flagship 3D Vision monitor is a 27-inch, 1920x1080 LED display from Asus, up from last year's 24-inch screens. (You will pay for that extra real estate though: With a pair of the new glasses, the monitor's $700.) The new glasses have 20 percent larger lenses to boot, but are cheaper than before, at $100. I think they're slightly less comfortable than the originals, but they totally look less dorky.

The proof is in the pixels, though, and the handful of games I played through, like Batman's latest, Arkham City were definitely way more engaging with 3D Vision 2 than the original, since I could actually, like, see things. A dark game + dim picture = emo sadness.

I'm still not entirely sold on 3D gaming—I haven't really played anything in 3D that has shaken me to the very core of my being—but if progress can be made along the lines that Nvidia's made here at short, regular intervals, that may increasingly be a question about content rather than technology. Expect more soon, either from us or the guys at Kotaku. All the new gear goes on sale later this month. [Nvidia]

http://gizmodo.com/5850074/3d-gaming-on ... -literally" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Silversurfer

Re: 3D Gaming on PCs Is Looking Bigger and Brighter (Literal

Post by Silversurfer »

Surely you could just buy a pair of the new LightBoost spec's and use the on the older Acer HN274H? Or wait for generic LightBoost spec's to hit the market?
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

No, it only works with the new monitors.
Silversurfer

Post by Silversurfer »

cybereality wrote:No, it only works with the new monitors.
Looks like we've had some good news confirmed by this Engadget article, these new 3-D glasses will be compatible with the older monitors :D

NVIDIA intros 3D Vision 2 glasses with brighter field of view, comfier design
By Dana Wollman posted Oct 14th 2011 9:30PM

NVIDIA's 3D Vision is impressive and all, but one trade-off you'll have to accept when you put on those active shutter glasses is a markedly dimmer field of view than what you'd get if you settled for plain-Jane 2D gaming. Well, the outfit just unveiled the second generation of the technology -- appropriately named 3D Vision 2 -- and this go 'round it promises not to strain your vision quite so much. These shutter glasses have a lens that's 20 percent larger, promising a brighter experience. As an added perk, the frames have been rejiggered to be lighter and more flexible so that you can comfortably wear headphones without pinching your lobes. As for the newest 3D Vision monitors and laptops, those panels promise reduced ghosting, as well as 120Hz 2D gaming. In tandem with today's announcement, NVIDIA announced that a trio of products -- the Toshiba Qosmio X770 / 775, Toshiba Satellite P770 / P775 and ASUS's 27-inch VG278H 1080p monitor -- will support now 3D Vision 2. If a new rig's not in the cards, the company also assures us that these glasses will be backward compatible with older 3D Vision panels. Look for them this month in the form of either standalone frames ($99) or as part of a $149 kit. All those details and more in the PR tucked after the break.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/14/nvid ... of-view-c/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

It looks like they will work, but it remains to be seen if they will have less ghosting/higher brightness. They repeatedly mention "3D LightBoost-certified desktop displays", so it might only see the new benefits with a new display.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yes, I should have been more clear. All the hardware is cross-compatible. But you will need a Light-Boost monitor and the 3D Vision 2 glasses for the full effect. I am not sure if the new glasses will make any difference at all on the old displays.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Found this quote, does not look good for old monitors:

"3D LightBoost works by adjusting the LED backlight in the monitor to pulse twice as brightly in unison with the LCD lenses in the 3D Vision glasses, making the resulting images 2 times brighter than previous 3D products. In contrast, older 3D monitors and laptops without 3D LightBoost have constant backlights where half the light is wasted.

On the old monitors with CCFL lamps that are on all the time, both lenses were forced into a dark phase while the image shifted from left to right. Now that the LED backlights switch off quickly in-between frames, refreshing at 120 times per second with a 2ms response time, the open timings of the glasses can be stretched. This lets in more ambient light so gamers can see the keyboard better. 3D LightBoost technology is a giant leap in the visual quality of 3D gaming on a PC"
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Good to see development :D
I do think the glasses look more dorky though, still Nvidia 3D today rocks! Way bettar than in the old days for sure.
Thank You Nvidia :shutter U R A number 1 :lol:
Neil

Post by Neil »

We reviewed the new specs and monitor in the 2011 3D Buying Guide. While the glasses are better, they aren't what is ultimately responsible for the 3D magic.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”