3dvision interleaved 3d on active and passives :)

Own a 3D HDTV? Trying to learn about the latest and greatest? Post here!
ujangjampang
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: 3dvision interleaved 3d working on any passive 3dtv!

Post by ujangjampang »

@Butmunch
Pardon me, I've try to my friend PC + 32LW4500 (the same TV model)
But he still using Windows XP

Somehow this override EDID mod inf doesn't work properly.
Under device manager, Monitor name already changed as Zalman
But inside NVCP, monitor name still using LG TV

is that true, the EDID mod only works with Windows Vista or newer (windows 7) ?

Thanks in advance
Blackbelter
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Blackbelter »

Thanks a lot man! This is working brilliantly on my lg lw6500!
takbal
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by takbal »

Found a way to swap eyes with Nvidia 3D Vision drivers. Check it here:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=14912
gkv311
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gkv311 »

If someone interested...
I slightly extended functionality of console application StMonitorsDump.exe packaged within sView player.
The main idea is that no need to install alien EDID into your system - nv driver checks only identifier.

To make binary dump of EDIDs for yours display (several files will be generated in case of several displays connected):

Code: Select all

StMonitorsDump.exe --out=C:\mydisplay.bin
To replace PnPID:

StMonitorsDump.exe --in=C:\myDisplay.bin --out=C:\myDisplay_patched.bin --setId=AAA0000
To generate simple INF file:

StMonitorsDump.exe --in=C:\myDisplay_patched.bin --genInf=C:\myDisplay_patched.inf
So to make your display kind of Zalman you may replace PnPId with ZMT2200.

StMonitorsDump.exe --genInf=C:\myDisplay_patched.inf --setId=ZMT2200
Current limitations:
  • Only NVIDIA and AMD/ATi drivers supported to dump EDID information.
  • EDID dump is limited to first 128 bytes (main part). Thus if your display has EDID extensions them will be dropped.
AMD FX-8350 / RadeOn HD6850 / ASUS Xonar D2X / 32GB RAM
ASUS VG27AH 27" (passive stereo, IPS) / Ubuntu 13.04 AMD64
sView (stereoscopic viewer) author
aduy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by aduy »

hi im new here and i have a passive 3dtv 1080p and i want to do this but im not sure how, could some one post some detailed steps on how to make this work. any help would be greatly appreciated :).
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

gkv311 wrote:If someone interested...
I slightly extended functionality of console application StMonitorsDump.exe packaged within sView player.
The main idea is that no need to install alien EDID into your system - nv driver checks only identifier.

To make binary dump of EDIDs for yours display (several files will be generated in case of several displays connected):

StMonitorsDump.exe --out=C:\mydisplay.bin
To replace PnPID:

StMonitorsDump.exe --in=C:\myDisplay.bin --out=C:\myDisplay_patched.bin --setId=AAA0000
To generate simple INF file:

StMonitorsDump.exe --in=C:\myDisplay_patched.bin --genInf=C:\myDisplay_patched.inf
So to make your display kind of Zalman you may replace PnPId with ZMT2200.

StMonitorsDump.exe --genInf=C:\myDisplay_patched.inf --setId=ZMT2200
Current limitations:
  • Only NVIDIA and AMD/ATi drivers supported to dump EDID information.
  • EDID dump is limited to first 128 bytes (main part). Thus if your display has EDID extensions them will be dropped.

Hi,
Thanks for the info, i'd love to try it but you have included no download link, google search shows very little of STMONITORSDUMP.EXE apart from info relating to a virus?

http://www.novirus365.com/Softwareantivirus/71421.html

Eset: Adware.Purityscan
McAfee: Backdoor.Win32.Hupigon.aetk
K7AntiVirus: Trojan.Win32.LdPinch
Eset: Trojan.Win32.AproposMedia
G-Data: AdWare.Win32.SponLink
F-Secure: Backdoor.SDBot
STMONITORSDUMP.EXE infected Countries:
Bolivia
Qatar
Slovakia
Spain
STMONITORSDUMP.EXE virus spread method:
Connection to Specific Sites
Malware Installation
Download From website
USB Disk
Windows Vulnerability
Level of Spread:5
Level of Threat:2
File type:STMONITORSDUMP.EXE is other file type.STMONITORSDUMP.EXE related files:

Manual Removal of STMONITORSDUMP.EXE:
1. For Windows Me and Windows XP users, System Restore must be disabled to prevent the STMONITORSDUMP.EXE virus from restoring itself. [Click to follow the Instruction of How to Disable System Restore]
2. Update installed antivirus programs.
3. Reboot computer in SafeMode. [Click to follow the Instruction of How to Start Computer in Safe Mode]
4. Run your antivirus program manually with a full system scan and clean/delete all infected file(s). If the file refuse to be deleted, please download the Strong Maleware File Remove tool to kill the file. [Click to Download the tool]
5. Delete/Modify any values added to the registry. How to Edit Windows Registry
6. Restart the computer normally.

Note: Above result based on the samples we received of the file STMONITORSDUMP.EXE, not means all the orginal STMONITORSDUMP.EXE file is a virus or threat
Samsung ps51e6500, Acer h5360bd + 80" fixed screen
Sli Gigabyte gtx670 Windforce x3
Intel 3770k Oc'd + Noctua Nh-D14
Asus Sabertooth Z77
8gb 2133mhz Crucial Smart Tracers Oc'd
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX
Demciflex full Magnetic Filter Set

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
Coolermaster Sirus 5.1 Headset
gkv311
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gkv311 »

butmunch wrote:Hi,
Thanks for the info, i'd love to try it but you have included no download link
StMonitorsDump.exe is part of sView player distribution (new functionality currently available only in sView 2011 alpha). There no link in Start Menu though because it is small command-line utility.
AMD FX-8350 / RadeOn HD6850 / ASUS Xonar D2X / 32GB RAM
ASUS VG27AH 27" (passive stereo, IPS) / Ubuntu 13.04 AMD64
sView (stereoscopic viewer) author
goemon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by goemon »

Looks like no one asked in this thread already, but getting 60hz 1080p 3D over HDMI goes against everything I heard before. I've read many forums about this like on avsforums.com and other places that the HDMI processors at the input or output end of whatever HDMI plugs into need to be like 300mhz to have enough bandwidth for 3D at that resolution, and also that the HDMI cable itself didn't have sufficient bandwidth, and that such HDMI devices are not available yet which is why to do this they always said you needed a DisplayPort or dual-link DVI. How can this work? Is everything I read before wrong? I guess this is possible since my LG 47LW6500 manual says it supports checkerboard and frame sequential 3D formats at 60hz in 1080p but I thought it was a misprint or something. I see no one else is asking so I feel like I wasted hours of my time in the past getting lies and misinformation. Can someone please explain this because I'm really like "WTF" right now.
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

goemon wrote:Looks like no one asked in this thread already, but getting 60hz 1080p 3D over HDMI goes against everything I heard before. I've read many forums about this like on avsforums.com and other places that the HDMI processors at the input or output end of whatever HDMI plugs into need to be like 300mhz to have enough bandwidth for 3D at that resolution, and also that the HDMI cable itself didn't have sufficient bandwidth, and that such HDMI devices are not available yet which is why to do this they always said you needed a DisplayPort or dual-link DVI. How can this work? Is everything I read before wrong? I guess this is possible since my LG 47LW6500 manual says it supports checkerboard and frame sequential 3D formats at 60hz in 1080p but I thought it was a misprint or something. I see no one else is asking so I feel like I wasted hours of my time in the past getting lies and misinformation. Can someone please explain this because I'm really like "WTF" right now.
The major roadblock in your understanding is that these 1080p 60Hz sterescopic video signals are "half-resolution". The one being discussed specifically in this thread is 1080p row interleaved, which is processed by the 3D Vision driver. The driver merges the left and right views in to a single 1080p frame and sends that as a standard 1080p 60Hz signal to the display.

Pageflipping at full 1080p resolution requires the left and right frames being sent to the display sequentially, each view 60 times per second, resulting in 120 frames per second. This 1080p 120Hz signal is not currently supported in the hdmi1.4a standard, hence the dual-link dvi requirement for this type of signal, which I believe is predominantly used for Nvidia's 3D Vision and 3D Vision 2 solutions. The vast majority of 3DTVs that operate at 120Hz do not support the input of such a signal.

Checkerboard input, used mostly by DLP displays due to built in wobbulation support by the TI chipset, is also a "half res" technology in that it throws out every other pixel in a frame, as opposed to every other line in row interleaved. My understanding is that the signal is still sent in the same fashion as pageflipping, with left and right frame sequential, each 60 times per second, but since each frame only has half the image data, the total stream is the same as a 1080p 60Hz even though the frame rate is actually 120Hz. Now I could be wrong on this point, as it could easily be sent as a full frame with both left and right combined in to a single frame and then separated at the display level, (which is what the Sensio method does on my TV). I believe that non-DLP displays that accept checkerboard input use it the same way as a pageflipping signal and just interpolate the missing visual data in each frame.

Now I am not a pro at this particularly, but this is how I understand it so far. If I am incorrect on something, I would appreciate the feedback.
goemon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by goemon »

so this 1080p 60fps people are talking about here is interlaced half resolution so it would be no better than 720p? so this signal type cuts 1080p in half to 540, then i put my FPR glasses on and it drops to 270 lines? doesnt make sense to me but i guess i dont need an explanation because if the signal is half of 1080p then i think 720p is better because at least i will get better frame rates in games that way.
Last edited by goemon on Mon May 21, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

goemon wrote:so this 1080p 60fps people are talking about here is interlaced half resolution so it would be no better than 1280p? so this signal type cuts 1080p in half to 540, then i put my FPR glasses on and it drops to 270 lines? doesnt make sense to me but i guess i dont need an explanation because if the signal is half of 1080p then i think 1280p is better because at least i will get better frame rates in games that way.
I think you mean 720p? I have watched 720p movie rips that are squished side-by-side, which results in my TV only displaying 1/4 of the original image to each eye and find the quality acceptable. I have also spent a good amount of time gaming in 720p60 and have found it enjoyable.

When you are talking about 1080p, the frames are rendered at a full 1920x1080. The display can only show you half of those lines for each eye, simultaneously. Now, whether this is detrimental to the image quality, it is obvious that at any given moment, each eye is only getting half the image. The question is whether or not this is better than one eye getting the whole image and the other a black screen? Passive is inherently brighter, has no sync issues, and honestly, left/right eye images are usually so similar that the "in-between" spaces are easily filled by your brain when viewing the display. Active vs. Passive has been long debated and is up to you to decide which you prefer. "Half resolution" is not the same as 540p. In fact, the reason why I keep putting it in quotes is because it is more of a conception of the general public than an actual aspect of stereoscopic display methodology.
http://stijndewitt.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... revisited/
goemon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by goemon »

haha yeah ive been reading so much about 3d resolutions lately that i must be getting my numbers mixed up. 720p is what i meant instead of 1280p.
skyguy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by skyguy »

3dvision interleaved working great here. I'm using two GTX 470s in SLI and I have 3d vision working on a LG 55 inch 55LW5600 at 1080p.

There really is no reason to upgrade to the newer model LG passive tvs as of yet if you already have the 2010-2011 models because they have not introduced anything new that affect line-interleaved gaming that I could tell. If you do get a good deal on the newer tvs and do not have 3d yet, then go for it, the tv size alone makes it easy to get immersed into the game.

LG fixes so far completed on this tv,
Lag input-fixed
Colorbug-fixed
Greyscale ghosting-wip
3d stereo imaged reversed-wip, *takbal has a solution for this
Vizio's tv work correctly without problems because they are already set to the similar Zalman/Acer even/odd patterns.
Fullscreen 3D AR adjusted playback with any source O/U, SBS material-fixed

One year ago when I bought this tv, I only wanted to fix the colorbug on this tv. Over the course of a year, together with the community, we got a ton of extra addons and mods to this tv that make it even better than it worked originally. Thanks to the guys that made this happen.
relaxman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by relaxman »

"LG fixes so far completed on this tv"

You mean, on LW5600 you don't have colorbug, and input lag?
With the latest firmware? I have the LW5500, would it work also?
I hate input lag which i have now :(

thx
shappy1010
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by shappy1010 »

After reading through the posts here, I think I'm beginning to grasp the idea. Now I'm on the verge of buying a (passive) 3DTV to compliment my excellent Optoma HD33 pj, been looking at the Philips LED 42PFL4307, which is on sale. I can bring it back to the store within 8 days, so I'm inclined to give it a shot, unless you guys think it's not going to work.

In that case, any recommendations on sets which are for sale at this moment?

Thanks a bunch..
shappy1010
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by shappy1010 »

Never mind, I tried a new Philips set, but passive 3D simply looks horrible, even interleaved 1080p. There is just no beating active shutterglasses it seems.
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

i am sorry that you had a poor experience.
personally, wearing glasses over my own glasses is a significant drawback. the 3D on my tv seems to work well enough for me and the clip-ons are very easy to use.
shappy1010
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by shappy1010 »

bgnome wrote:i am sorry that you had a poor experience.
personally, wearing glasses over my own glasses is a significant drawback. the 3D on my tv seems to work well enough for me and the clip-ons are very easy to use.
I totaly get the advantages over shutterglass, I own an Optoma HD33 but with only 2 sets of (expensive) glasses watching a 3D movie with a crowd is not possible. But this TV I bought 100% for gaming, and I was shocked at the quality loss, I couldn't play on it, the low res was just to distracting. The strain of active glasses doesn't botter me as much as I thought it would, judging I can play for hours on the Optoma without any trouble. Which leaves very little incentive to go for passive.

I guess we'll have to wait until the next generation of HDMI / resolutions comes along. If 1080p becomes 2160p, you can effectively watch passive 3D in FULL HD 1080p.
ujangjampang
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ujangjampang »

I just found a solution how to swapping eye with 3DVISION.

http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopi ... =13&t=2206

Woohooooo..... cool! Now I don't have to flip my 3D Glasses anymore! :)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

takbal wrote:This post is useful for people who are using the .inf hack with NVidia 3D Vision as descibed in http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopi ... =13&t=2042 or http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=13821, but have the eyes swapped, and they seek a more elegant solution than gluing their own glasses. The problem is these displays (like my Toshiba 42VL863) are using a different interleaving pattern than the Zalman or the Acer passive monitors. Fortunately, the pattern can be specified in the registry, but the keys must be protected.

After the .inf hack was applied and the display is working with the swapped eyes, open regedt32.exe and find the NVidia Stereo3D settings. ON my Windows 7 64-bit machine it is at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D, I guess in 32-bit OS it is going to be at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D.

Now find the keys 'InterleavePattern0' and 'InterleavePattern1', and modify their values from 0x00ff00ff to 0xff00ff00.

You are not finished yet, as 'nvSCPAPISvr.exe' will overwrite these values all the time when the drivers are launched. You have to deny delete and set operations for SYSTEM to keep these values unmodified. On my Win7 it goes as follows: Right-click on the Stereo3D folder in the registry, then click the followings: Permissions..., Advanced, Add..., Advanced..., Find Now, choose 'SYSTEM' from the list, Ok, Ok, tick 'Set Value' row and 'Deny' column, tick 'Delete' row and 'Deny' column, tick 'Apply these permissions...', Ok. Now the driver will not overwrite these values. Enjoy your regular glasses.

The issue with this solution is that access to the registry must be enabled whenever settings in the control panel are changed, or per-game settings are saved, or before a new driver is installed. Maybe there is a way to binary hack nvSCPAPISvr.exe, or to find a way to force it to apply a different interleave pattern, but as I rarely touch my 3D Vision settings, I am happy with this solution.

Hope you find it useful!
I have quoted the instructions so its not lost.

Also, thanks for posting the link ujangjampang.
Blackbelter
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Blackbelter »

cybereality wrote:
takbal wrote:This post is useful for people who are using the .inf hack with NVidia 3D Vision as descibed in http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopi ... =13&t=2042 or http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=13821, but have the eyes swapped, and they seek a more elegant solution than gluing their own glasses. The problem is these displays (like my Toshiba 42VL863) are using a different interleaving pattern than the Zalman or the Acer passive monitors. Fortunately, the pattern can be specified in the registry, but the keys must be protected.

After the .inf hack was applied and the display is working with the swapped eyes, open regedt32.exe and find the NVidia Stereo3D settings. ON my Windows 7 64-bit machine it is at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D, I guess in 32-bit OS it is going to be at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D.

Now find the keys 'InterleavePattern0' and 'InterleavePattern1', and modify their values from 0x00ff00ff to 0xff00ff00.

You are not finished yet, as 'nvSCPAPISvr.exe' will overwrite these values all the time when the drivers are launched. You have to deny delete and set operations for SYSTEM to keep these values unmodified. On my Win7 it goes as follows: Right-click on the Stereo3D folder in the registry, then click the followings: Permissions..., Advanced, Add..., Advanced..., Find Now, choose 'SYSTEM' from the list, Ok, Ok, tick 'Set Value' row and 'Deny' column, tick 'Delete' row and 'Deny' column, tick 'Apply these permissions...', Ok. Now the driver will not overwrite these values. Enjoy your regular glasses.

The issue with this solution is that access to the registry must be enabled whenever settings in the control panel are changed, or per-game settings are saved, or before a new driver is installed. Maybe there is a way to binary hack nvSCPAPISvr.exe, or to find a way to force it to apply a different interleave pattern, but as I rarely touch my 3D Vision settings, I am happy with this solution.

Hope you find it useful!
I have quoted the instructions so its not lost.

Also, thanks for posting the link ujangjampang.
takbal has posted this information on this forum here quite some time ago:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=14912

I think you should give him credit for that.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Blackbelter wrote: I think you should give him credit for that.
He was given credit, look at the name on the quoted text.
ujangjampang
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ujangjampang »

----------------------------- deleted ----------------------------------------------
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I'm posting the rollermod here, since this is the closest thread I can find. Should enable the use of checkerboard TVs with the Nvidia drivers:
RollerMod.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

cybereality wrote:I'm posting the rollermod here, since this is the closest thread I can find. Should enable the use of checkerboard TVs with the Nvidia drivers:
RollerMod.rar

Cool,
Thanks
I can't test this now as i do'nt have a passive but i can confirm it would work with no colourbug on a 55lm760t as it is the first passive 3dtv from lg i've seen with no colourbug with a stock edid, they finally fixed the issue for this model, interleaved and checkerboard work now!
Sadly it had too much blur so off it went and in came the 46es8000, rollers checkerboard rules, my games look crisp as on this active set!
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: 3dvision interleaved 3d on active and passives :)

Post by butmunch »

Going to update this, i do'nt know if it has been covered elsewhere, i can't find any info.

I'm a tool, i was allready running the acer mod before i went to this samsung es8000.
First it was the 3dvision emu does'nt work on new drivers, second i got the 3dvision clone kit and forgot about the red overlay in checkerboard, bugger.

Just for the fun of it i tested out interleaved on the es8000 fully expecting it to reduce my displays fps to 30fps for each eye.
Bugger me timbers and blow me overboard!!!!
The edid trick for passive works 100% with a solid 60fps in game and a possible 120hz display hz, i'm shocked beyond belief that a active set can do 120hz with interleaved and give each eye at least 60hz=60fps, wonder what the actual 3d refresh rate is of the es8000.
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
TheRoggan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheRoggan »

butmunch wrote:Going to update this, i do'nt know if it has been covered elsewhere, i can't find any info.

I'm a tool, i was allready running the acer mod before i went to this samsung es8000.
First it was the 3dvision emu does'nt work on new drivers, second i got the 3dvision clone kit and forgot about the red overlay in checkerboard, bugger.

Just for the fun of it i tested out interleaved on the es8000 fully expecting it to reduce my displays fps to 30fps for each eye.
The edid trick for passive works 100% with a solid 60fps in game and a possible 120hz display hz, i'm shocked beyond belief that a active set can do 120hz with interleaved and give each eye at least 60hz=60fps, wonder what the actual 3d refresh rate is of the es8000.
I can confirm this works perfectly fine with the active Samsung LCD UE D8005 series as well (previous model to the ES8000)!

I think this will work fine with any 3D TV which can manage interlaced 3D input, active or passive. You will need to kick the 3D in manually though via hotkey and on the TV on mine.

On my TV I also needed to change the input name on my 1st HDMI/DVI input to "DVI PC" to be able to select the interlaced 3D input option manually (no idea why that is). Before I had only side by side and stacked, after changing the name I have interlaced (horisontal and vertical), checkerboard and frame sequential options as well.

Feels awesome to finally being able to play in 1080p 60hz in 3D on a large screen!! I have been looking for this for over 2 years now!
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

TheRoggan wrote:
butmunch wrote:Going to update this, i do'nt know if it has been covered elsewhere, i can't find any info.

I can confirm this works perfectly fine with the active Samsung LCD UE D8005 series as well (previous model to the ES8000)!

I think this will work fine with any 3D TV which can manage interlaced 3D input, active or passive. You will need to kick the 3D in manually though via hotkey and on the TV on mine.

On my TV I also needed to change the input name on my 1st HDMI/DVI input to "DVI PC" to be able to select the interlaced 3D input option manually (no idea why that is). Before I had only side by side and stacked, after changing the name I have interlaced (horisontal and vertical), checkerboard and frame sequential options as well.

Feels awesome to finally being able to play in 1080p 60hz in 3D on a large screen!! I have been looking for this for over 2 years now!
Hi, checkerboard is now part of 3dtvplay and the new beta drivers from nvidia ;), thats a better option than interleaved allthough for the latter you need no 3dtvplay or an emmitter.
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
JamesR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JamesR »

Does this mean active shutter lenses can be used with passive monitors under 120hz?
I have tried this inf swap on my acer gr235h and achieved shutter lenses be active on the glasses, but with a flashing screen and blurred images. (that might be interleaving that the lenses don't get rid off.)
I constantly get the using non stereo display mode red writing. It's at 720p and 59hz actively flashing (no real 3d though) etc..
The triangle an hexagon wizard fails to show a both icons individually.
Or does it just mean 3dvision software can work with passive glasses on passive monitors.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Active shutter glasses will only work on 120Hz screens that are made for 3D. They will not work on passive screens or with passive, totally different things. There was a hack for Nvidia that allowed people to use passive glasses on passive displays (inteleaved). Not sure if that still work.

But anyway, if you have a passive display you should try the DDD TriDef drivers, they work well on passive.
JamesR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JamesR »

Yes the tridef drivers are pretty good. But they're not active 3d. I found games like the Witcher 2 it goes out of sync in the background if the foreground is showing good.

It depends the actual proper 3d content isn't at all bad. Actually I managed to read somewhere that my monitor does 120hz. But I don't believe it does. It becomes clearer the more you read about stuff, like requiring dual dvi for active 3d computing. Reading the setup rates on the monitors comparatively. 120hz is a xvga or something setting not an hdmi setting.

I'm wondering about buying a 120hz monitor or even a projector, but I don't know how good projector images are, like how well does a projector resolution compare to a monitor resolution. Plus, at high resolution, you can't actually sit particularly to close or too far from a monitor.

Thanks. Things were quite hopeful for a minute, you can get active shuttering to process with a edid hack, but realistically there is a refresh rate problem.
tifftrip76
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tifftrip76 »

Hi.

I got a Question. I own this cool Asus Monitor with 3D Dongle integrated (Asus VG278HR )
Got an Gefore GTX 660 Ti and active Shutter Glases 3d Vision 2.
So far so good. But what really sucks that in Games Framerates goes to 50% when turning on 3D.
So I wondered if I could use this Hardware with an Combination of passive Pol Glases and TriDef. Because TriDef 3D I heard, lowers the Framerate just slightly. At least I think this all should work over DVI-D Cable, so I am not forced to 24 fps?
Important: I heard, with TriDef passive Monitors would not show horizontal Interpolation. Is that true? So it would be perfect to run Games with TriDef, DVI-D and passive Glasses!?
Is there a way to make 3D Gaming faster?
(TriDef and Shutter Glases are always forced to HDMI 1.4a which means 24 fps at 1080p, as far as I experimented)

Thanks.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The Nvidia driver has great performance. TriDef is about the same in full 3D mode. They have a "power 3D" mode that is faster but it looks not so great.

Rendering in 3D is just intensive. If you want better speeds you can get a more expensive GPU or turn down some settings.
tifftrip76
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tifftrip76 »

I don´t believe this. Also, it does not have "great Performance" - it just renders 2 Scenes and takes double the Power.

If my Question is a little bit complex, for the Beginning I´m just asking "is my Monitor capable of passive 3D"? It´s about these "passive-3d-monitor-edid-override-inf".

Thanks.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

tifftrip76 wrote:I don´t believe this. Also, it does not have "great Performance" - it just renders 2 Scenes and takes double the Power.
That's the case with all stereo 3D drivers, except for the ones that "cheat" by rendering only one eye and extrapolate the second view like the "Power 3D" mode in TriDef as Cyber said, but that's not looking good.
tifftrip76 wrote:is my Monitor capable of passive 3D
No, it's one or the other, you can't have both since they are completely different technologies.

And it doesn't make any difference in rendering whether the display is active or passive 3D, you still have to render one image per eye.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

tifftrip76 wrote:Also, it does not have "great Performance" - it just renders 2 Scenes and takes double the Power.
Right, that is how 3D works. What I meant by "great performance" is that some games (that are optimized for 3D) only take a 30-40% hit in performance (rather than the 50% hit you'd expect).

The TriDef "Power 3D" mode uses the depth buffer information to extract a "fake" second 3D view from one camera. It's fast, but it doesn't look that great, and you get halos around objects and other visual artifacts. I would not bother with this unless your machine is so low-end you can't play in stereo without it.

In any case, I think Nvidia might have fixed some of those "hacks" you hear about. So it's not like you really have any options (aside from using the Nvidia driver). I'd recommend turning down game settings to medium or low, turning off AA, etc. and you should be able to get playable speeds.
tifftrip76
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tifftrip76 »

I think this hack was about facking a different Monitor. I found it somewhere in this Forum.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

tifftrip76 wrote:I think this hack was about facking a different Monitor. I found it somewhere in this Forum.
You can't "fake" your monitor to have capabilities it does not. Just like you can't "fake" a black and white TV into color.
tifftrip76
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tifftrip76 »

So what does a passive Monitor has to be able to, instaed of having 120 Hz and a Sender?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Passive 3D monitors (of the FPR variety, which is the most popular) have a thin film placed over the LCD panel. This film is matched the the pixel format, and has a polarizing layer which filters every alternative row of pixels to a different angle. When you wear the polarized glasses, it has the effect of "blanking out" every other line. So, for example, the right eye will see the even rows and the left eye will see the odd rows. By displaying a slightly different camera position on alternate rows, this creates a stereo 3D effect.

There are pros and cons to the whole active vs. passive thing. Personally, I like the image quality of active displays better. You get the full resolution, things just look sharper. With passive you have the potential for a brighter image and no flicker effects (though most people can't see them at 120Hz anyway). Passive does have lighter and more comfortable glasses, and no need for batteries.

If you already have a 3D monitor, I wouldn't bother getting another one just for this. You are probably fine already.

Return to “3D HDTVs”