The coolest thing I saw at IFA: LG's passive clip-on 3D glas

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

The coolest thing I saw at IFA: LG's passive clip-on 3D glas

Post by Silversurfer »

By Zach Honig posted Sep 5th 2011 12:21PM

Berlin's Internationalen Funkausstellung is by no means an unexciting consumer electronics show. Sure, there aren't nearly as many new gadgets to play with as you'll find at even the tamest year of CES, but there's still plenty else around to leave almost any tech buff feeling full. Still, this year's most exciting gadget -- to me, at least -- wasn't a new tablet, or cell phone, or even that Android-controlled robotic vacuum. No, the highlight of my week was these clip-on 3D glasses, which LG reps handed out to every interested spectator as they entered the company's booth. These dead-simple, yet completely life-changing specs were almost certainly overlooked by the 20/20 vision-abled, but for folks like me who can't stand sliding one pair of glasses over another just to watch Kung Fu Panda in three dimensions, those clip-ons you see above are the absolute best swag I could ever hope to find.

There's really not much to them. The 3D experience was identical to what you'll get with traditional passive glasses -- these simply clip on top of your eyeglasses, rather than resting on their own. They also offer UV protection, and "communicate seamlessly with the TV." Well alright then. While attendees could get their own pair for free at IFA, you can also find these online for about 20 bucks -- sold as the LG AG-F220. I'd like to see them become much more widely available, and more affordable as well. So listen up, Hollywood: if you ever again want me to hand over five extra bucks at the box office to watch an animated bear kick his furry paw directly toward my temple, these better be waiting on the other side of the ticket scan.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/05/the- ... d-glasses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: The coolest thing I saw at IFA: LG's passive clip-on 3D

Post by Likay »

Been around for a while. I got clip-ons for both my dual projector rig as well as for the iz3d.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Just shows how behind the times these so-called "tech blogs" are. I've had clip-ons for years.
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

i got a pair of these off ebay a while back. i can understand the excitement of discovering how great they are compared to the bulky real-d glasses handed out at the theaters.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”