Dual Projector display not quite right on Win7 & ATI 6970

InlineTwin
One Eyed Hopeful

Dual Projector display not quite right on Win7 & ATI 6970

Post by InlineTwin »

I use a passive dual PJ setup I have had since Feb, but it has always had the issue that one side is a less dynamic image. For example in a dark scene one picture is very dark, almost no image at all and the other is highly detailed; a very good image. I tried swapping cables and then swapping desktops (I use extended desktop view). What I found is the main desktop always is the better image, regardless of cable or projector. Does anyone have experience with an issue like this? I would conclude it seems to be related to the display driver, but I don't know and I would expected to have found some comments here about it already.
I would add that the bright scenes are just fine; 3D looks great in fact.

The PJ's are EPSON PL Pro 6100 HT and connected by display port -> HDMI. (I also tried the dvi -> HDMI outputs but it is exactly the same results)
My 3d player is the stereoscopic player.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Dual Projector display not quite right on Win7 & ATI 697

Post by Likay »

You can switch displays in the displaydriver (alter the primary display) to see if it's eventually a driverproblem or card-outputrelated issue. Try install slightly older displaydrivers if there are any for the 6970.
What happens if you try running in clone mode with the same image on both projectors?
I'm running a similar rig with win7-32 but have nvidia. No problems at all.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

What if you run in Eyefinity resolution and then set the Stereoscopic Player to side-by-side output?
InlineTwin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by InlineTwin »

Yep. Tried changing the primary display also tried to clone the desktops. Still no good.

I just tried again to find out anything else. I pulled the plug for one PJ and the picture seemed good on the remaining one. I swapped the cable and it still was good. Repeated for the other projector. It seems the picture is good when there is only one projector plugged in. When I plug in both the picture is degraded on one. After this last test I would modify my first post that it does seem to be related to one cable (one port) when both PJ's are plugged in regardless of the desktop configuration.

So would that mean it is a driver issue or a hardware capability issue with the Gfx card? I did have two ati 4870's before I added the 6970 and I don't remember this being an issue. (I do forget a lot though) Maybe this card is not good for dual PJ setup?
cybereality wrote:What if you run in Eyefinity resolution and then set the Stereoscopic Player to side-by-side output?
I am not sure what is Eyefinity resolution? Do you mean to create the Eyefinity display? I tried that in the past and Stereoscopic player only recognized one display as existing.
InlineTwin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by InlineTwin »

I went ahead and did as suggested and setup the Eyefinity display. I maximized Stereoscopic player with my low light "starry night" image (had to leave it monoscopic since it doesn't recognize two displays) for testing and it is clear that the same side which has poor display quality still does even in Eyefinity mode. Then I reduced resolution and the poor quality side still is present.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

With stereoscopic player, you don't need to use dual output if you use Eyefinity. You just use side-by-side output and it will be the same as dual output when you go full-screen. But I guess that won't fix your problem.

What kind of cable/adapters are you using to go to the projector? I would buy some different ones and see if that makes any sort of difference.

Also, I remember having issues on an Nvidia card when using HDMI. Basically the card/driver would output at a limited color space (I think they call in black crush), which may be similar to what you are seeing. There were options in the driver settings to adjust the color profiles for video, and that helped, but it never solved the problem.

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”