The quality of passive glasses?

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
levinite9720
One Eyed Hopeful

The quality of passive glasses?

Post by levinite9720 »

I have recently bought an LG D2342 3D monitor. I am satisfied with the 3D effect but have concerns about the included glasses. If I place the glasses a couple inches from my eyes and slowly move them relative to my eyes while observing a pinpoint of light such as reflected on a sharp edge, there are several positions where the light becomes distored and blurry. Note, this has nothing to do with the monitor itself, although it does affect its viewed image. I conclude it is a defect in the glasses, although both included pairs suffer the same effect. I am also concerned that this is not good for one's vision. Has anyone else had this problem with passive glasses?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: The quality of passive glasses?

Post by cybereality »

Thats strange. I do not notice that effect when I try the passive glasses for my Zalman monitor. I believe you can also use RealD compatible circular polarized glasses like from here:
http://www.berezin.com/3d/3dglasses.htm#Circular" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe give those a try.
GregK
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GregK »

levinite9720 wrote:I have recently bought an LG D2342 3D monitor. I am satisfied with the 3D effect but have concerns about the included glasses. If I place the glasses a couple inches from my eyes and slowly move them relative to my eyes while observing a pinpoint of light such as reflected on a sharp edge, there are several positions where the light becomes distored and blurry. Note, this has nothing to do with the monitor itself, although it does affect its viewed image. I conclude it is a defect in the glasses, although both included pairs suffer the same effect. I am also concerned that this is not good for one's vision. Has anyone else had this problem with passive glasses?
+1

I recently purchased the LG 2342 and had the same effect. The clip on for perscription glasses was fine, but the included pair of passive glasses had blurry spots. At first I thought there was a protective coating that needed removed, but sadly that wasn't the case. I used standard Real-D and my Vizio 3D glasses - or the Clip on's to evaluate the monitor.

I ended up returning the LG, because the ghosting (at any viewing angle or distance) was not acceptable to me. I have a 42" passive Vizio that doesn't have ghosting anywhere near what this one had. Who knows, maybe I had a defective model?
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

I been using this monitor from last almost 2 months.
Played DRAGON AGE & DRAGON AGE 2 loved both a lot

Now on DEAD SPACE 2 its spooky and you have to turn shadows off
some artifcats are there but its almost unplayable on shutter glasses
due to dark enviroments here Passive Wins

Yep, the regular glasses do distrort light little bit near turning edge

Its sad my friend has also purchased this monitor after watching demo of my monitor he also is ended up with same problem though his glasses are more bad

Luckily he wares precision glasses so he uses clip-on type which are perfect
same is with mine glasses too. Clip-on type have no distortion.but i don have Vision Correction Specs so i felt bad for this.

It produces very high ghosting if you use monitor with REAL D Glasses i too noticed as i tried that. but when you use LG glasses no ghosting so they might have some different angle of polarization.
bk2001050
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bk2001050 »

Hey Guys, so I am planning on buying the D2342 P, I did a lot of research and your forum helped a lot too. Went through the entire blog. Does anyone by chance know where this product can be tested before being bought because all I see are online retailers on amazon and ebay and newegg. I am from ottawa and its surprising that theres no retailer that carries the monitor. Also a couple of quick questions, I have heard mixed reviews about the monitor, worst one being the cnet review but i never trust those idiots.

1) I was wondering if I can hook my xbox 360 to it and play gears of war 3 or crysis 2 in 3D. Also, since i have the pro version that doesnt take hdmi out, can i connect vga and get a decent 3d experience? If not, will an xbox 360 elite with hdmi out port work instead?

2) Also for my PC, i have an ATI HD5570 2gb in crossfire, does this gpu have to be compatible with hdmi 1.4a or will my set up work with the iz3d driver?

3) Final question, is the 2d to 3d conversion decent, I mean could I watch say Fast 5 with the iz3d 2d to 3d media converter on lg's 2d to 3d mode and have a decent experience? Thanks a lot guys, any help is really appreciated.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

1) I don't think so. Xbox does not support HDMI 1.4a, only side-by-side. And 3D monitors generally don't support side-by-side.

2) Yes, your card is supported. You can see it listed here: http://www.amd.com/us/products/technolo ... dware.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3) For the most part, 3D conversion (especially real-time) is garbage. Some software works better than others. You can try the DDD TriDef one, it looks OK compared to other stuff.
bk2001050
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bk2001050 »

Thanks for the reply, is there a difference in the d2342p and and the d2342p-pn models? Also, check out this link
http://www.blitzgamesstudios.com/invinc ... _setup.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thats why I am confused about the whole console thing.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Disregard that link. That was because the developers of Invincible Tiger implemented their own 3D support for all sorts of displays. This has nothing to do with the support you get from titles like COD:BO or anything like that. All the newer titles for Xbox usually support Side-by-Side only (which don't work with passive interleaved monitors like the LG). PS3 games use HDMI 1.4a, which should work with the LG.
bk2001050
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bk2001050 »

Thanks for the info, yeah your right, I did so much research because I am planning on buying a 3d monitor but none of them have commercial 3d for the xbox 360 yet. I just saw COD in 3d at futureshop on a huge LG passive 3d and theres a real depth and difference, thats why I was impressed. Oh well, since none of them have the 360 support yet, I am going to buy the iZ3D monitor, found it for real cheap online. I hear really good reviews about them. Do you have any experience or other choices that you think I should consider? Thanks again
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

From what I hear the IZ3D monitor is not that great, but if you got a really good deal it might be worth it. That LG d2342p-pn is probably not that much more expensive and I imagine a lot better (thought admittedly I've never seen either).

Return to “3D Monitors”