PureDepth's Multi-Layer Display technology to ship soon, 3D?

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

PureDepth's Multi-Layer Display technology to ship soon, 3D?

Post by Silversurfer »

Engadget is reporting "PureDepth's Multi-Layer Display technology to ship soon

Filed under: Displays

If you're vaguely remembering a mention of MLD, you're not crazy. Around this time last year, PureDepth announced that it was teaming up with Samsung to crank out a 46-inch Multi-Layer Display LCD. Fast forward to now, and we're hearing that the first MLD wares should be hitting the streets relatively soon. The technology itself consists of building displays that are in fact two or more layers of LCD panel that share a common back-light source, thus creating a depth effect when viewing material. As it stands, the outfit has signed agreements with Samsung (obviously) for development of displays in mobile handsets and Sanyo for mobiles, gaming solutions and automotive electronics (including in-car navigation). Interestingly enough, Q1 2008 saw quite the surge in support for the 3D sector, making the launch of MLD that much more applicable to the apparent desires of content viewers. Check out a few sample images and product prototypes in the gallery below.

Gallery: PureDepth's Multi-Layer Display technology to ship soon

Article:
http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc ... 279646165/"

My question here is, has anybody in these forums had the pleasure of seeing this technology in the flesh, can it be called 3D?

Cheers
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

They give a link to a video on their website : http://youtube.com/watch?v=8UOY4kG_CGA

It basically displays at two depths and when you move your head sideway, you clearly see that it's physically two depths. Take a look at the beginning of the video to see what I mean.

Use I see for gaming (not much) :
  • You could use that in games to display the HUD at a depth closer to you than everything else.
  • You could use it with a racing game to render the cockpit on the front layer and the outside scene on the back layer. You would then get a pseudo 3D feel when moving your head in front of your screen because it would change what you see of the outside scene.
It's a nice technology but I don't see this as a gaming TV. You would get a getter stereo 3D feel by using one of Samsung/Mitsubishi HDTV that support stereo rendering combined a tracking sensor like TrackIR.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”