Gadmei 3D media player

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Gadmei 3D media player

Post by ShawmK »

Ok, I confess; I'm weak :shock:

http://usb.brando.com/gadmei-p83-3d-pmp ... 1d015.html

I decided to take a chance on this thing - I figured that for the price, it was worth the risk (especially when you convert the price into Pounds). I didn't have high expectations for it, but I was curious, so I gave it a try.

It arrived a couple of days ago, and I am very impressed by it; the quality is far better than I was expecting. The screen produces a very decent stereoscopic image, with good resolution. There is a little bit of ghosting present, especially if there is a large divergence in the image, but I have seen far worse, with more expensive displays. As with all autostereoscopic displays you have to get the viewing position exactly right, but once you find the sweet spot, the 3D image is bright and crisp and very satisfying. The resolution is higher than the Fuji picture frame (which is a lot more expensive) and it also works with a greater range of file formats.

So far, I've loaded a selection of my own 3D photos onto it, and also about eight feature films (Toy Story 3, Avatar, Monsters vs. Aliens, The Hole etc) and everything works beautifully. Thank god it takes SD cards up to 32GB, because the internal memory is only 4GB!

My only serious criticism of the player is that there is no option to adjust the parallax; that would have been a very useful feature. Most of my 3D films are recorded from the Sky 3D channel, and they are not perfectly aligned when you record them (because of the bleed around the edges of the screen). In Stereoscopic Player, this can be corrected with a couple of keystrokes, but that is not possible here. I had to re-encode the video files to align the left and right images (which was rather labour-intensive) but once done, the results were dramatic. (My friends and family were blown away - now they each want one :lol:) If your video files are already correctly aligned, this will not be an issue, but it would still be a nice feature for a future firmware upgrade.

The player is about the size of an eBook reader, but it's a little bit heavier, and you really start to notice that once you've been watching a film for awhile. You have to hold it in one position to maintain the stereo, and your arms can get tired if you aren't careful.

Loading my 3D photos onto it was a little bit of trial and error; if the photos are jpegs it needs them to be half-frame side-by-side. They supposedly have their own proprietary 3D format, but all the documentation is in Chinese (in the box and on their website) so I was none the wiser about that... I eventually settled on using the Fuji .mpo format, and it plays those with no problem at all.

I'm really pleased I took the risk on this thing. If anyone is looking for a very nice little photo and video player, you can do a lot worse!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Gadmei 3D media player

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, not a horrible price. Looks interesting.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

If only they made these things with a pc input it could make an experimental hmd. Although im sure the close viewing distance wouldnt work. Even the LG HD 3dtv's require a 2m viewing distance.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

Okta wrote:Although im sure the close viewing distance wouldnt work.
No indeed; although this has a very good screen, it has a very narrow viewing angle - there would be no way to make it head-mounted.

You could probably build something interesting, but it would end up looking more like this:

Silversurfer

Post by Silversurfer »

@ShawmK,

I believe this PMP has a USB host option for external hard drives, could you tell me if you tried a USB 2.0 external hard drive as a source for your media library? If not could you please try it?

Regards, Silversurfer
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

Hi, Silversurfer,

I have used it with external HDDs, and it mostly works. I have one 320gb drive that it doesn't recognise (the drive requires more power than this player can provide) but every other drive I have plugged into it works fine.

I think the USB port is intended mostly for flash drives, but it has no problem reading larger drives as well, as long as it can power them (or if the drive has its own power source). I have used it successfully with a 650GB drive; it was absolutely fine. It also seems to read NTFS and FAT32 equally well.

One little quirk I have found with this player is that it seems to have a problem with video files if they are over 2 hours long. At first I thought it was the file size, but it seems to be the running time that confuses it. It just means that if you want to watch Avatar on this thing you need to split it into two files ;) . It's not a big problem, since I doubt you would be able to hold the screen in one position (for the 3D sweet spot) for two continuous hours anyway!

Shawm
Silversurfer

Post by Silversurfer »

hi ShawmK,

That's very helpful I now need to make my choice between the Gadmei T883-3D Tablet ( price 222 $ )
http://usb.brando.com/gadmei-t883-3d-ta ... 1d015.html and the Gadmei Wikipad 3D tablet (price 250$ with game controler)
The WikiPad will be on sale in the spring through retailers and through the WikiPad website http://wikipad.com/ and will cost around US$250 with the controller.
I've e-mailed pr@wikipad.com for UK availability and as they are sponsoring the US pentathlon 2012 Olympic team I'm guessing it's due for release before then. Notice the 30° and 30 different viewing angles claims on eBay and YouTube, I guess it's not as good as they claim?
Very interesting update to the WikiPad at Engadget.com today. It seems that the tablet is being upgraded from 8 inch to 10 inch and getting a quad core processor as well! Here is the story URL:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/03/wiki ... ds-gaikai/

What do you think, do you think there's been a massive improvement with the later models? And as you mentioned you converted the price of your model to pounds can I ask you where you purchased yours from?

Regards, Silversurfer
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

The Wikipad tablet looks interesting; I hadn't seen that before.

The Gadmei tablet looks like it has the same screen as their original model; with a few extra bells and whistles. The quality is not bad, but the viewing angle is very narrow. If you don't get it exactly right, there is significant ghosting. Once you find the sweet spot, however, it works very well.
On paper, the Wikipad seems to be quite a bit better, but who knows if it will live up to the publicity... I'll be very curious to see!

I bought my Gadmei player from here:
http://usb.brando.com/gadmei-p83-3d-pmp ... 1d015.html
They ship worldwide (and I wasn't charged by customs) and I paid with Paypal. I seem to remember it arrived in less than a week, which was very good.
Silversurfer

Post by Silversurfer »

@ShawmK, thanks for the reply regarding the sweet spot and your thoughts on the upgrades they've made. I guess it's just a waiting game until the wikipad ships.

To tell you the truth I'm a bit disappointed with the increase in screen size from 8 inches to 10 inches. I already have an 11 inch Sony android tablet and I wanted the 8 inches to be a bit more portable etc, especially while watching a movie in bed. also I don't see a real shed load of 3-D android games but I could be wrong as I haven't looked into that area much as it wasn't a high priority so I guess I could just go for the 8 inch Gadmei T883-3D Tablet pickup your model which has benefits of a remote-control? However the quad core upgrade sounds interesting as long as the battery life doesn't suffer.

I'll report back if and when I made my purchase from USB Brando, which interestingly I have used before also myself when importing the original 1 GB OLED MPEG 4 wristwatch back in the day. There is also this guy on eBay who seems to have a small inventory in the UK for immediate shipping of the current model.

anyway am very grateful for your input as I don't know where I would've started without an objective hands-on that you have provided in this forum.

Return to “3D Monitors”