800x600 Microdisplays for Sale

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

800x600 Microdisplays for Sale

Post by Synexious »

I was trying to find the microdisplays used in Replicating Reality, which is being shown at E3, and found these. How much do you think they cost? Could they be used for DIY projects? Do you know of any other microdisplays that are available for purchase?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: 800x600 Microdisplays for Sale

Post by cybereality »

Wow! That looks interesting. And it says it supports stereo, so maybe it comes with a suitable control board to link multiple units.
3. Support Binocular Stereovision Mode Application

- Frame/Field sequential mode
Depending on the price, maybe we can get some people to chip in on an order (not sure if that will effect price or not).
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

0.5 inch is a bit small to do anything with really.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Okta wrote:0.5 inch is a bit small to do anything with really.
VR920 displays are 0.44", though I am not saying they look that great either.
Okta

Post by Okta »

Its not the lcd quality im refering too its that, as we know, near impossible to get any of the shelf consumer optics that can give any worthy FOV to such a small screen. Maybe Palmer's fashark optics could work with these as they are simliar to teh Kopins size?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I have some 0.55" panels, I will see how they work with the Fatshark optics. Only 180k pixels, but I should be able to see if the size works, at least.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Got in touch with the factory, and got quotes for low quantities. They will not lower prices unless the order is over 10 units, in which case it would be a small discount. No large discounts unless you order in quantities of 2,000 or greater.

Single black and white OLED panel: $425
Single full color OLED panel: $435
Driver board: $80

At that rate, enough parts to make a full dual input HMD (Well, minus the optics and mounts) would be $1,030 USD.

I also tested 0.55" panels in the Fatshark optics. 0.55" panels work, but have the edges cut off just a little bit, but 0.5" might just fit. However, a 0.5" panel would give a fairly large FOV with some EyeTrek FMD150W optics, and I just got one of these (It is a higher FOV, widescreen version of the FMD200, essentially). The Eyetrek optics are far superior in quality, in my opinion, and I think you could get a FOV of between 40 and 42 degrees. Oddly enough, the eyetrek uses freeform prism optics, much like the Z800, though they are much less picky about eye placement.

In short, you would basically be building a dual input Z800 with slightly better optics for barely less than a brand new $1500 Z800. Not sure if it is worth the effort. :(
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Too bad. Thanks for following up on this.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

So this is completely worthless? Who would be buying these, then?
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Not worthless, just not worth it in small quantities unless you are a prototyper or something.

It is good news that these exist at this price, though. In larger quantities, they probably cost substantially less.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”