"VIP 3D-Gamer" adapter for PS3! Got it and love it...

HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful

"VIP 3D-Gamer" adapter for PS3! Got it and love it...

Post by HeadTrip »

"VIP 3D gamer" PS3 to Projector adapter

I received the "VIP 3D gamer" for my 'Optoma GameTime GT700' projector recently...
The real reason is to convert the Frame packed 3D that the PS3 uses into a signal my Optoma can use (what type, I don't know...I'm sure you guys do).

Ordered from Curtpalme.com (I have no association with them or VIP)... the order shipped from VIP.
I have to say the ordering process was great, CurtPalme's order went through fast with good email updates...
VIP was great, they sent me an update email letting me know it would ship on last Friday...It shipped early, last wednsday (always a plus). They even sent me a tracking number (yay!)

So, does it work? YES. I hooked it up right after the PS3... hdmi out from PS3, into VIP , out to projector.
I had to go into my Ps3's display settings and did an autodetect... This picked up the 3D resolutions.
They list them as 720p(3d) and 1080p(3D). I use 720p...
I'm not a videophile when it comes to projectors, but it looks great! As good as my NVIDIA output from my laptop...
Killzone3, crysis2, Deblob2... all ran no problem in 3D... Deblob2 was REALLLY deep.
I ordered a pair of the glasses, and will share my thoughts soon.

Thats it, just wanted to share my experience and open a thread up for questions if needed.
Great little product so far! The 3D results from the PS3 seem to vary from title to title... Killzone3 was sort of blurry, but DeBlob2 was crisp... still tons more testing to do! *oh yeah, it ran a frame packed video file I found on the web, Bonus!

http://www.3d-vip.com/
http://curtpalme.com/3DGamer.shtm
3Dvision Blog info:
http://3dvision-blog.com/vip-3d-gamer-i ... converter/
Last edited by HeadTrip on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: "VIP 3D-Gamer" adapter for PS3! Got it and love it...

Post by cybereality »

Nice.
HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by HeadTrip »

Got the glasses today...

Not bad, lighter than my optoma glasses, but still bulky (unlike Nvidia). They fit well, but the arms feel delicate....
One issue, i hear a buzzing from the glasses when the shutters start to flicker...its barely noticable during gameplay, but annoying during loads.
Good thing Ill be using headphones usually...im going to contact VIP and see if they are faulty...

Otherwise they work great, just a light green tint but no biggie...
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Can someone explain the difference between the GT700 and the GT720? The GT700 is $700 and the GT720 is $930, but both are 1280x800 with 2500 lumens. Is the 720 quieter? Does it have longer bulb life? Does it have greater compatibility?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

GT720 is certified by Nvidia.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Isnt this the thing that was supposed to make 3d on ANY screen? 60hz Lcd included?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Okta wrote:Isnt this the thing that was supposed to make 3d on ANY screen? 60hz Lcd included?
No, but its by the same company. What this does is convert HDMI 1.4a frame-packed to frame-sequential for use with non-HDMI 3D projectors.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

cybereality wrote:GT720 is certified by Nvidia.
That's the only difference? How is that worth $200? If I buy the 700, will I have compatibility issues?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Aphradonis wrote:
cybereality wrote:GT720 is certified by Nvidia.
That's the only difference? How is that worth $200? If I buy the 700, will I have compatibility issues?
Well if its not on Nvidia's officially supported list then there is a good chance it won't work (unless you want to get into hacking drivers, etc.). Technical capabilities have little to do with it, Nvidia charges companies big $$$ to be "certified" for 3D Vision. What it basically amounts to is a white-list of EDIDs which only allow devices Nvidia approves. So other, perfectly working, 3D solutions will be blocked by the driver. There are ways to get around this, for example using a .inf file for a different projector, removing pins on the cable so Nvidia can't detect it, things like that. But I wouldn't really depend on these techniques. That said, both iz3D and DDD provide some support for 3D projectors (at least with AMD cards). But not all 3D projectors are supported by every driver solution. I would make sure to do as much research as possible to make sure the projector you want will actually work (for example, searching on the Nvidia or IZ3D forums).

Also, if I was going to buy a 3D projector, I would get the Acer H5360 and use it with the Nvidia 3D Vision solution. They are sold for around $500 and are supposed to be the best quality available.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

cybereality wrote:Also, if I was going to buy a 3D projector, I would get the Acer H5360 and use it with the Nvidia 3D Vision solution. They are sold for around $500 and are supposed to be the best quality available.
Thank you so much for that recommendation! I didn't know about that one. I really need to keep the costs down since I want to do Surround. That $500 LED projector I found, the Qumi Q2, only outputs 300 lumens, which made me extremely skeptical about its 3D performance, even in perfect darkness. 2500 lumens is much better. I will probably get three of these, and build a custom curved screen similar to the one that other guy posted. It seems I will soon be entering both PC and 3D gaming, finally. I'm not going to wait around for a solid HMD anymore; I may have a PhD by then lol. A curved triple projection setup with a manual treadmill and haptic devices will fully immerse me in FPSes and RPGs, better than any other realistic option available now or in the near future, I think.

EDIT: Can I get it to work with Xbox 360 and PS3? Will I have to get an Optoma 3D-XL converter for $350, and will it work? Any HDMI 1.4 720p 3D projectors on the horizon?

EDIT:There don't seem to be any, so unless there's a workaround I'm unaware of, and I doubt there is, since we're talking about a different cable, I think I'll have to spend an extra $350 just for console gaming.

And does the 3D gamer allow Blu-ray movie playback on PS3?

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”