LG D2342P-PN (Passive)

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
neol
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: LG D2342P-PN (Passive)

Post by neol »

is LG D2342P-PN a 120Hz monitor ? cause the spec says
Input Signal
H. Frequency(Digital) 30 ~ 83 kHz
V. Frequency(Digital) 56 ~ 75 Hz
cybereality wrote:Flat panel display technology, mainly LCD, has come a long way in recent years. The latest 120Hz displays, like the Acer HN274H, are competitive with what I remember CRT looking like. Maybe even better, I'm not sure. But its significantly better than older LCD displays. Or go to the store and check out the Sony Bravia 3D HDTVs. They really do look great, it doesn't get much better. Things are improving, gotta stop living in the past.
yeah saw those sony bravia hdtv in store with 2012 movie(2D) demo & i was like :woot awesome & very rich in color.

lately visited around 10-12 store within a week & checking only 3D products. :P
Last edited by neol on Thu May 05, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Maybe you can buy the Sony for half or third its price once Apple's TV comes out ( this year).
Philips already quit this market, and others will follow.
...I just think you give these companies too much credit, & they dont deserve it . This is badge engineering, bad input lag, bloated functions, barf.

Mobile is where the real innovation occurs.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

tritosine2k wrote:I have an idea ! Let's Test it with CRT!
CRT is still superior compared to most displays, especially cheap digital displays, those have soooooo many issues I lost count.
CRTs are less sharp than LCDs. I can distinctly remember the stunning difference in sharpness I immediately noticed when switching from my good old 19" Sony Trinitron CRT monitor to my first LCD monitor (as bad as it was at the time).

The effect of burst exposure (flickery) vs long exposure (flicker free) on spatial resolution exists, it's proven, but it's really weak.
The area that is really affected by this difference is motion. (my LCD projectors offer the option of 2:2 pulldown, aka double-flash, when working in 24Hz mode, the difference is obvious)

CRTs were also riddled with issues, weight and size, sensitivity to magnetic interference, picture distortion, flicker, power consumption,.... the list goes on.
CRTs are dead, they're not coming back, and it's a good thing.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Not to beat a dead horse, but the flicker on CRTs were killer. Forget 3D, if you want a real headache just look at a CRT monitor. Even at 85Hz, it was unbearable for me. I could literally see the scan lines animating down the screen. Talk about a flicker-fest. That alone is enough to put the nail in the coffin for CRT.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Theres a difference between a well-kept (calibrated) CRT and a home-CRT.

Compared to a finicky analog display, sure ,cheap digital can be thought of as one-size-fits all and stuff , I don't question that, it's true, but that's just a different matter.

...Why you see CRT's used at true 21th century innovators like Hewlett Packard, & universities to this day , doing the heavy lifting?

Thats why:
http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_18616 ... talon.html
CRTs are dead, they're not coming back, and it's a good thing.
you will be suprised ...
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Laser Phosphor Display = CRT mk2.

http://www.physorg.com/news196574334.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

240hz, 3D ... Much better tech than plasma.
( only the red phosphor is problematic with plasma/ CRT now, the other two are fine, so they just need better red's & they are cool , no ghosting )
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

CRT = cathode ray tube

CRT technology is dead, period.

This Laser phosphor display is a projection based technology. It has it's chances in the projector market but cannot compete against flat panels like LCD.
The only true competitor to LCD is OLED and it's not coming to the masses anytime soon. LCD is here to stay, like it or not.
Passive 3D forever !
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

That's why BBC bought all the professional trinitron stock not too long ago, because its "dead".
Apparently they bought it , so they can trash it themselves .:lol:
I remember reading an article a few years ago about the BBC purchasing all the remaining stock of Sony's Professional line of CRT video monitors (PVM series I believe) upon hearing that Sony was ending production of CRTs entirely. Says a lot about how important CRTs are in professional broadcasting and the superiority of CRT in general. Still a shame they aren't made anymore, seems there would always be some demand in Pro circles and even a niche community with gamers and those of us who still prefer CRTs.
Should I feel bad that I'm part of that niche community now ??
With my dead horse & stuff....
cannot compete against flat panels like LCD.
Good luck with your 65" plus flatpanels man... Cool jokes on this site, really.
Too bad sometimes i barf.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Quality isn't the only factor.
I do not work for the BBC so I cannot speak for them, however the company I work for : DGAC (French air traffic control) bought all the stock of Sony's Trinitron 28" medical CRT monitors when they announced they stopped production. The reason is that they were already using them previously and had the entire country's ergonomics and hardware setup and calibrated with all the safety certification that is mandatory in air traffic control for these CRTs only.
If they switch they can't just change the monitor like you'd switch your desktop monitor, they have to redo all the work again which takes an enormous amount of time : They desperately needed all the remaining stock in order to fill the gap.
-the desks are cut to fit a 28" square monitor, they need to be recut for the new 30"
-the colour and brightness are calibrated to fit the room's ambient light, and the controllers are used to their colour schemes, they want to get it back with the new screens
-the computers used don't have DVI Dual-link outputs, they need new graphics cards (which also need to be tested, calibrated, certified not to crash the operating system or the radar software, etc...)
-the UI needs to be changed to fit the new aspect ratio
-even the the typeface needs to be adjusted.

etc...

It took a few years but we now work with the flat panels.
Quality isn't the only factor.
Compatibility with previous working conditions is an extremely important reason for not changing of dispay type. The #1 reason why people dream about giant Home cinema displays but don't buy projectors (i remember that from an Epson projector christmas sales presentation).
Passive 3D forever !
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

BlackShark wrote:Quality isn't the only factor. I do not work for the BBC so I cannot speak for them
In this case quality was the factor, the stocks of monitors the BBC bought were Sony PVM reference CRT monitors which are used for image calibration in broadcasting.

These monitors are still the de facto standard for image calibration, but due to the fact that they are not environment friendly (they contain toxic elements such as lead) they have to be replaced. The only technology that can rival their quality is OLED, Sony has recently presented an OLED model at HPA 2011 that will be available this spring and which is intended to replace CRT reference monitors.

http://www.etcenter.org/2011/02/sony-un ... -displays/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well I have never seen the Sony FW900, but I did use my fair share of CRT monitors over the years. And from what I recall, they weren't that good. Not sure why some people are obsessed over them. If you see the Acer HN274H, I'm telling you, its competitive with anything else out there. I would certainly choose it over a CRT any day, all day. Is it suitable as a studio monitor for broadcast tv? Maybe not. But from a gamer's perspective, it doesn't get much better.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

cybereality wrote:Well I have never seen the Sony FW900, but I did use my fair share of CRT monitors over the years. And from what I recall, they weren't that good. Not sure why some people are obsessed over them.
It's not "some people" that are obsessed with them, it's all the people who care for image quality (color accuracy, black levels, contrast, etc.). And among them are many professionals that need the best monitors for color calibration.

When other characteristics like size, weight or thickness become more important than image quality, CRT technology is clearly not the best choice though. That's why I bought a LCD TV when I needed a lightweight thin display with a big image diagonal. But since I don't have these restrictions with my desktop PC, I still use my CRT monitor for everyday use and I'm very happy with it.

I'm not in love with CRT monitors though, I would be the first one to buy an OLED monitor if they came at an affordable price, but for now I don't consider LCD monitors as a valid buying option for my usage.
cybereality wrote:If you see the Acer HN274H, I'm telling you, its competitive with anything else out there. I would certainly choose it over a CRT any day, all day. Is it suitable as a studio monitor for broadcast tv? Maybe not. But from a gamer's perspective, it doesn't get much better.
Yep, it's probably good enough for 3D gaming considering other characteristics like size and weight, but it's not really "competitive with anything else out there" if you only consider image quality. Even when comparing it to other 3D LCD monitors it's really far from being the best, in the DigitalVersus review it only got 3 stars out of 5, and from a ghosting POV it is even worse than the GN245HQ from the same company. The Planar SA2311W seems to still be the king in this category.

Review : http://www.digitalversus.com/acer-hn274 ... 72_38.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Acer HN274H ghosting :

Planar SA2311W ghosting :
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yes, but show me that DDD image on a CRT. Cause I clearly recall ghosting on CRT monitors.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

The red phosphor is the usual suspect when it comes to CRT ghosting , it has worse memory effect than the green or blue, but it still worths it because phosphors are better color primaries than LCD subpixels. So plasma / CRT ghosting is content related.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Also, here is a picture I personally took of the Acer HN274H:
Acer_HN274H.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

@Fredz: Where's your source of ghosting test images of different screens? Just out of curiosity: I've lately run ghostingtests on 2 different dlp-projector/shutters rigs (both on close to 100" screen) lately and the very first 3 fields of the calibrationscale is not even visible using dlp+shutterglasses. I had to turn up brightness and contrast down to see those but then it get's very difficult to see which specific field that responds to the actual ghosting and then it seems very equal to the ghosting that my dual beamer rig has. No ghosting is visible in either rig but you need images like this to evaluate it. One rig i've tested was an optomaprojector and my old edims and the other one i tested so fast i don't know what brands that is used. :oops: I get back to that...
You're using a dlp yourself right, so you should know what i'm talking about?
There's a clear difference between the image cyber and you presents of the very same monitor...
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Likay wrote: There's a clear difference between the image cyber and you presents of the very same monitor...
I should mention that I optimized the settings to reduce ghosting. Basically this means brightness at 100% and contrast at 0%. This was not something I did just for the ghosting test, but how I use the monitor normally.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Just to humor myself (and to remind people how bad CRT actually was) I have dug up some old pictures of HL2 taken with my NEC SyncMaster 21" flat-screen CRT using ELSA Revelators and Another-Eye 2000. See below. Take notice of the dark pole and the silhouette of the building.

Now here is the same shot (as close as I could get it) taken on the Acer HN274H with Nvidia 3D Vision glasses:
Acer_HN274H_HL2.JPG
See any ghosting on the pole? I don't.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Well I have one of those professional 21" CRT's. It ran me about $2500 back in 1998. It still runs fine. But I don't use it any more. I prefer my newer LCD's. The CRT's day in the sun has passed by. I wouldn't even consider a CRT for 3D anymore. And I wouldn't recommend any to anyone. CRT's for 3D is crap advice. No matter how you package it.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

cybereality wrote:Yes, but show me that DDD image on a CRT. Cause I clearly recall ghosting on CRT monitors.
I didn't say CRT don't exhibit ghosting, I said that CRT monitors are better in any regard compared to LCD monitors from an image quality point of view. CRT monitors still exhibit less ghosting than most LCD monitors, apart for some recent ones like the Planar SA2311W. We already had this discussion in another thread about finding an objective measure for ghosting.
tritosine2k wrote:The red phosphor is the usual suspect when it comes to CRT ghosting , it has worse memory effect than the green or blue, but it still worths it because phosphors are better color primaries than LCD subpixels. So plasma / CRT ghosting is content related.
No, you're completely wrong. The red phosphor is the best in regard to ghosting on CRT monitors, it has practically no ghosting, hence the "Red eye" shutterglasses method. The culprit is often the slow decay of the green that is used in P22 phosphor, blue is generally very acceptable. Monitors using the P43 phosphor for green wich have faster decay do exhibit a lot less ghosting.

Red eye method without glasses :

Red eye method with eDimensional glasses, no ghosting :
cybereality wrote:Also, here is a picture I personally took of the Acer HN274H
I don't know how you take your pictures, but I think they make monitors look a lot better than what they are. Both my previous screenshot and this one show that this monitor has an awful ghosting, confirmed by the review at DigitalVersus :
Likay wrote:@Fredz: Where's your source of ghosting test images of different screens?
They come from an extensive research on every site I found with ghosting images, I've collected almost an hundred of them by now. I wanted to put them all on a website and use them for the creation of an objective measurement method I was devising, but I found a new job and lacked time for it. Since it ended recently I might have a try at it again.
Likay wrote:I've lately run ghostingtests on 2 different dlp-projector/shutters rigs (both on close to 100" screen) lately and the very first 3 fields of the calibrationscale is not even visible using dlp+shutterglasses.
Yep, DLP projectors exhibit almost no ghosting, in fact they shouldn't exhibit any ghosting at all, the remaining ghosting only comes from the shutter glasses or the not perfect sync with the projector.
Likay wrote:I had to turn up brightness and contrast down to see those but then it get's very difficult to see which specific field that responds to the actual ghosting and then it seems very equal to the ghosting that my dual beamer rig has.
Actually I find that dual beamers (polarized LCDs more than LCDs with Infitec) exhibit more ghosting than DLP projectors, I've put up a webpage (in french) illustrating the different levels of ghosting and an arbitrary scale to classify them, but it's still a bit rough on the edges for now :
http://askyl.free.fr/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Likay wrote:You're using a dlp yourself right, so you should know what i'm talking about?
Yep, I've recently bought a 3D DLP projector, I didn't took pictures of the ghosting test with it yet but in games or movies I don't see any ghosting at all.
Likay wrote:There's a clear difference between the image cyber and you presents of the very same monitor...
Yes, I think he took the pictures in a darkened room, cameras can't handle these conditions really well. You can see that white seems to be burned and that it adds a lot of image noise, with greys showing random colored points. It makes it hard to compare them with shots taken in good conditions, that's why I've proposed in another thread about the creation of a new ghosting test that it should incorporate some sort of calibration, to avoid those kind of situations.
cybereality wrote:I should mention that I optimized the settings to reduce ghosting. Basically this means brightness at 100% and contrast at 0%. This was not something I did just for the ghosting test, but how I use the monitor normally.
This won't give you a good image, either from a 2D or 3D POV. You should at least calibrate the gammas with the simple method I gave in another thread, or use the calibration software included in NVIDIA drivers. Or much better, use professional color calibration DVDs, ideally with a colorimeter if you intend to write more reviews of 3D displays. This way you would have correct colors, better blacks and contrast and your whites wouldn't be burned, that would be a lot better for games and movies. I guess now I see why you don't see any advantage in using CRT monitors, image quality doesn't seem to be a priority for you (no criticism intended, to each his own).
Last edited by Fredz on Sat May 07, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

cybereality wrote:See any ghosting on the pole? I don't.
Neither, but with the particular calibration you've used on your monitor which has inversed the ghosting and the different separation that has been used for the two shots that's not really surprising.

You'll see white ghosting on the left of the building which appears on the light grey sky, and since it's white on grey, it's barely visible as expected.

The fact that the separation is much lower in the third shot makes the ghost image of the building not appear on the pole but on the sky, so you can't have white on black ghosting, which should have looked a lot worse.

This last shot seems to have been taken almost in the dark, the colors are mixed up with visible noise and this reduces the contrast even more and makes ghosting appear more faintly. The first shots are brighter, which makes ghosting look worse in comparison.

Also, the shots from the CRT monitor are a lot bigger than the shot from the LCD monitor, in this situation the ghosting is evidently more visible on the bigger images than on the smaller one.

Not a very conclusive example I'd say, looks more like someone who wants to have the last word than someone who wants to present an objective comparison.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I think cyber did a fine job with his review. For me, 3D gaming begins with getting rid of the ghosting. Then I adjust for the best image quality. The fact that cyber can get rid of the ghosting and still have great image quality- is quite significant. If cyber has sat down with that acer and finds he likes it. hmm kinda good enough for me. A CRT with its massive ghosting- and massive isn't an exageration (I get a headache just thinking back to those days). CRT seems like bad advice for 2011 3D display tech.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

If I still had the CRT setup, then I could take an apples to apples shot. That was the closest I could get to the original shot, but its hard to get it exactly the same. But the 2nd and 3rd shots have almost the exact same 3D settings, but its hard to notice since there's not much ghosting. And its not like I doctored the images or anything. Even without the latest shot I took from the Acer, just looking at those first images shows how much ghosting was apparent with CRT. Maybe CRT technically has some advantages in picture quality. I am not doubting that. What I am doubting is that these advantages translate into a significantly better experience. I just don't think that's the case. LCD technology today is very much competitive with with what consumer-level CRTs were back then. I'll admit LCD is not perfect, but it still looks great and its more than adequate for any gamer's needs.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Chiefwinston wrote:I think cyber did a fine job with his review. For me, 3D gaming begins with getting rid of the ghosting. Then I adjust for the best image quality.
As I said, it's a question of priorities. If you need to sacrify image quality to lessen the ghosting, I can understand, but that's not my way of doing things. At least you could use two types of calibrations, one for 2D with correct colors and contrast, and another one for 3D with reduced ghosting.
Chiefwinston wrote:The fact that cyber can get rid of the ghosting and still have great image quality- is quite significant.
I'm afraid we can't talk about great image quality here, both from his settings and the characteristics of this monitor. Read the review on DigitalVersus, this monitor is bad quality.

"The deltaE score, or the difference between the ideal colours and those shown onscreen, is as high as 3.8. That's too much of a discrepancy for us to say the colour reproduction is accurate. Unfortunately, like with the GN245H, we couldn't manage to fix this problem however hard we tried."

Good CRT monitors have a deltaE under 1.0, which is considered a perfect result.

"The contrast ratio isn't much good either: at 720:1, it's below the average value of 850:1 we've found on other monitors."

Good CRT monitors have contrast ratios with 4 digits, the best ones can attain 15000:1, professional calibration CRT monitors are at 30000:1.

"The HN274H doesn't do any better than any other monitor with a 5 ms TN panel and has a ghosting time of 15 ms. Not only will that not be enough to win over gamers, the HN274H also suffers from crosstalk when showing games or video in 3D. We didn't spot this problem on its faster little brother, the GN245HQ. It's a real shame, because the HN274H doesn't have much input lag, so with a touch more responsiveness, it could have been a great friend to gamers."

Ghosting time for CRT monitors is around 10ms, and they have not input lag.
Chiefwinston wrote:If cyber has sat down with that acer and finds he likes it. hmm kinda good enough for me. A CRT with its massive ghosting- and massive isn't an exageration (I get a headache just thinking back to those days).
To each his own, ghosting with CRT is still lower than on almost all the LCD monitors in existence. Even when comparing a CRT monitor (NEC 1250+) with the Planar LCD monitor which should be the best, my measurements for black-on-grey and white-on-grey ghosting were worse for the LCD (5,42% - 5,83%) than the CRT (2,98% - 3,48%). The Panasonic VT20 was at 1,20% - 0,60%. I haven't mesured the center ghosting for the CRT monitor yet, which should be more in favor to the Planar, as it was the case compared to the Panasonic Plasma.
Chiefwinston wrote:CRT seems like bad advice for 2011 3D display tech.
I don't say to buy CRT monitors, I just say that LCD is still an inferior technology compared to others (CRT, Plasma, DLP, LCoS, OLED), be it in 2D and 3D, and that's why I won't buy a LCD monitor if image quality is the only criterion. I'll wait for OLED monitors, there's no way I'm buying something crappier than my current monitor.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

cybereality wrote:Maybe CRT technically has some advantages in picture quality. I am not doubting that. What I am doubting is that these advantages translate into a significantly better experience.
Depends on what you base the quality of the experience on. If it's image quality, LCD is not adequate, if it's comfort (smaller desk, lightweight monitor, bigger diagonal and resolution), then it's adequate.
cybereality wrote:LCD technology today is very much competitive with with what consumer-level CRTs were back then.
LCD technology is only competitive because people buy it, but from a technical standpoint it's the worse of all the existing technologies. Heck, a recent news on this site even showed that 3D Plasma TVs - which are a lot better than LCD, especially in 3D - are struggling in sales compared to 3D LCD TVs. In the end you are right, LCD wins, but not on his technical merits unfortunately.
cybereality wrote:I'll admit LCD is not perfect, but it still looks great and its more than adequate for any gamer's needs.
In the particular case of this Acer monitor, I'm afraid professional reviewers from DigitalVersus don't share your opinion :

"The Acer HN274H monitor is almost as big a disappointment as its little brother the GN245HQ was a success. There's really nothing left to save the day ..."
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well I wasn't going to bother reviewing the Acer monitor on its 2D merits. I'm sure there are lots of other sites with people more qualified to comment on those aspects. I was simply focusing on it as a 3D monitor, and more about the general experience. For me, that is more important than some number. I never tried to say that this monitor was the best 2D monitor out there, its probably not. But as a 3D monitor I think it is very nice. Maybe the GN245HQ is better, I can't say. But I like the HN274H. I also, honestly, don't have a whole lot of experience with 120Hz monitors, this was the first one I've seen in person. So maybe that biased the review somewhat. If I had seen every single 3D monitor released in the past 3 years, maybe my opinion would be different. But at the same time, I think a lot of people reading the review are people that also do not own 120Hz 3D monitors, so an initial impression is maybe even more valid.

That other site was probably measuring ghosting at default settings, or whatever calibrated color settings they used. I adjusted the settings specifically for the least amount of ghosting. And when it comes to 3D, THAT is the best picture quality: minimal ghosting. If you look at the image I posted, you can see I am not lying about the ghosting (unless you believe I doctored the image in some way). And the Acer saves the settings separately in 2D and 3D mode. So my zero contrast settings only kicks in when the glasses do. I'm not sure how they could say gamers wouldn't be happy with this monitor. Maybe they didn't try Batman:AA.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

cybereality wrote:I'm not sure how they could say gamers wouldn't be happy with this monitor. Maybe they didn't try Batman:AA.
Hem, I think they are pretty much qualified to tell if a monitor is adequate for gaming or not, and not only by showing numbers. They've tested lots of 3D displays (monitors, projectors and TVs) and 3D games (included Batman last year), so I think they know what they say when they tell potential buyers to avoid this monitor for S3D gaming.
cybereality wrote:I was simply focusing on it as a 3D monitor, and more about the general experience. For me, that is more important than some number.
The numbers they show come from the methods they have defined themselves to have objective measurements that better correspond to what they see in reality. That's why they devised that "ghosting time" test for example, and they explained that it corresponded to what they perceived while looking at the displays, contrary to the numbers that were provided by manufacturers (grey-to-grey response time). Using objective numbers certainly helps comparing displays between them, that's also why I was trying to find an objective measure for ghosting.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

No matter how people twists words about this, it's utterly a question of evolution. Lcd's are generally better than crt's, not in quality but the differences are too small to make any significance in practical applications. To the human eye the difference is only visible when comparing displays next to each other. Once looking at one display the difference doesn't matter thus making no significance at all.
When quality between techs is good enough then price, size etc will make more difference and is the reason why crt's disappears. If lcd's really were that inferior it's a wonder why we have them at all... Once there's better tech which meets the price/quality ratio better than lcd's, then their remaining time is also counted.
@Fredz: What i meant about the last three fields (or to be very specific, allways the last two and the third barely or not visible) not being visible is that i can't see them and make any evaluation at all. To see and evaluate ghosting i need turning up brightness and decrease contrast but then the fields turn so close to each other in nuance so it's still impossible to evaluate. Maybe something also happens with the ghosting itself by doing this but it shouldn't.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Rather than argue that LCDs are better than CRTs, I am just going to straight up say that I think CRTs have far better color reproduction, input lag, and a few other things over LCD (Though my Viewsonic IPS monitor has some really great color reproduction!). In the end, though, it does not matter, because to the VAST majority, LCDs are more practical. If you want to use a CRT, then that is awesome, more power to you! It is just not an option for me, though, or most of the population.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

PalmerTech wrote:In the end, though, it does not matter, because to the VAST majority, LCDs are more practical. If you want to use a CRT, then that is awesome, more power to you! It is just not an option for me, though, or most of the population.
I think this is an important point to recognize. With all factors considered, CRTs are just not a viable option for 99.9% of people and bringing them up when discussing modern solutions is disingenuous. I admit, CRTs do have some advantages but they have disadvantages as well. And even then, the difference is not so huge that you could honestly say high-end LCD displays are low quality. That just isn't true. Which is why I used the word "competitive", not necessarily meaning better. The fact of the matter is no one produces CRT monitors anymore, they are EOL aka DEAD. They're not coming back. Even if they are better, it doesn't matter. THEY ARE DEAD AND GONE. Its 2011. Time to move on.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

I think the important point is to recognize, is that once you grasp the concept of "pulse display versus hold display", you goin to avoid hold displays like pest, especially if its LCD.

Hell even LG's , and Sony's 10.000 megabuck LCOS beamer has crosstalk, what a joke of a company are these?...

It's 2011, Apple is coming, joke companies, time to move on... lol

10 grand XTALK -ing LCOS projector... if that's how they envision their future they are in deep troubles , lol
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

tritosine2k wrote:I think the important point is to recognize, is that once you grasp the concept of "pulse display versus hold display", you goin to avoid hold displays like pest, especially if its LCD.
l
Be careful with sentences like that, they're double edged swords :
Once you grasp the concept of time parallel vs time sequential, you're going to avoid active shutter technology and prefer passive ones
Once you grasp the concept of flicker, you're going to avoid pulse display and lengthen the light output so that the screen behaves like hold displays

etc... etc...

Almost every display technology makes compromises, the perfect display isn't available yet.
Passive 3D forever !
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

BTW this is very interesting ,seems like in the last years ,*cadmium is banned* , so they need new type of emissive materials into CRT alike displays either way, and this is a cool use for nanotechnology.

No, we don't need hold time (LAG), we need highest intensity possible in the shortest possible timewindow, that's why I comment against that red phosphor thing too, what they did there is they just rely on the longer hold decay (LAG) *like you can read they relied on cadmium for that too*.

With new engineered materials , that shouldn't be a priority, hold is just means to maximise brightness , it has no use if you strive to increase vertical refresh rate.

Besides, a pulse display can operate in hold manner if you have the vertical refresh rate and no LAG, whereas a hold display can hardly operate in a pulse display role, most of us saw the 2233rz............ That's Just Sad.

But this CRT mk2 stuff is happy times!
It's like you swap a shitty capacitor for something like teflon or polystyrol in a time multiplexed sample&hold circuit and you gain higher precision AND frequency ! Good! Going to kick so much ass.
* http://retroworks.blogspot.com/2010/12/ ... -crts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hahah there even was a FUD about this. CRT mk1 handling was always way unfair.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

You still need to weigh in every factor of each solution. The vanishing of crt's is not because of unfair treatment.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

The green phosphor for color TV had Cadmium until the No-Cad green came into use in around 1973 but phased in over about three years. RCA was the first to use No-Cad because they were the ones that discovered it and mass produced the powder until the other vendors figured out the process. The domestic tube makers changes slowly so the old tubes might have Cd. You can tell from the color of the unlit screen, the no-cad is lighter in color and not as yellow. The no-cad green also has a longer “afterglow” (persistence) when the energy is removed so the screen will have a slight greenish glow when the tube is turned off.
You see Fredz, Green phosphor is not the culprit , there were much better green phosphors, but the Red had long hold time, and we don't want hold time!
Hence red's a culprit, hold behavior sets CRT apart from ideal pulse display, also part of what makes it analog!!! Very important.
-some cool new phosphors (luminofor -s) here:

http://www.nanomaterialstore.com/nano-phosphor.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
also worth a look:
http://prysm.com/eco.php?display_area_u ... ator-table" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These nano-phosphor materials are ideal for white LEDs in obtaining desired color rendering index.
wow that's not bad.
White LED's out of QuantumDot's, coating out of NanoPhosphor. It's Impossible to tell what the Apple TV is...
http://www.ece.uci.edu/~rnelson/files-2 ... e_LEDs.ppt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Efficient phosphors for lighting applications have been a long standing goal for researchers. The nano-phosphors generated over the contract period will greatly improve the energy efficiency for varies of lighting sources. They will be the next generation of phosphors. The SSG technology will also generate a broad impact on nano-particle fabrication. Its potential application will not be limited.
Cerium-doped YAG (YAG:Ce) is used as a phosphor in cathode ray tubes
it emits green (530 nm) to yellow-green (550 nm) light. When excited by electrons, it has virtually no afterglow (70 ns decay time). It is suitable for use in photomultipliers.
70ns!!!
Fredz, you 're busted :lol:
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

tritosine2k wrote:You see Fredz, Green phosphor is not the culprit , there were much better green phosphors, but the Red had long hold time, and we don't want hold time!
Hence red's a culprit, hold behavior sets CRT apart from ideal pulse display, also part of what makes it analog!!! Very important.
No, the problem is with the P22 green phosphor as I said.

You can easily see that yourself by looking at the DDD ghosting test on a CRT monitor, you'll see that the center ghosting is mostly green and somewhat blue but never red on CRT monitors using P22 phosphors. You'll also see the same thing on most Plasma displays since they generally use the same types of phosphors than CRTs, that's the case for the Panasonic VT20 for exemple :

Some more references :

3-D Displays and Signal Processing: An Answer to 3-D Ills? :
"In systems using CRT monitor (or projector) and liquid-crystal shutters, the crosstalk is caused by
phosphor persistence of the CRT (primarily green)
, imperfect light extinction of LCS in the opaque state (light
leakage) and by timing errors of LCS (opening/closing too early or too late)."

Crosstalk (Ghost Images) :
"The main cause of ghosting is the slow phosphor decay time. Monitor tubes with P22 phosphors (zinc sulfide for blue/green) are very bad in this respect. Much better would be P43 tubes (rare earth for green). The problem is: P22 dominates the market. I couldn't find a mainstream non-P22 monitor yet. If you can find any please tell me or post it on the discussion board."

Cancellation of image crosstalk in time-sequential displays of stereoscopic video :
"The three-channel model is appealing since in a typical monitor R, G and B phosphors have different characteristics; for example, the green phosphor’s persistence is longer than that of the red and blue phosphors."

"Encouraging experimental results for P-43, a rare-earth green phosphor, replacing the standard P-22 phosphor have been presented"

Depth Perception in Computer Graphics :
"To avoid problems caused by phosphor persistence between the left and right views, the stimulus objects were coloured red. Informal experimentation demonstrated that red phosphors had a faster decay time than the green or blue phosphors on the CRT used."
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

tritosine2k wrote:
Cerium-doped YAG (YAG:Ce) is used as a phosphor in cathode ray tubes
it emits green (530 nm) to yellow-green (550 nm) light. When excited by electrons, it has virtually no afterglow (70 ns decay time). It is suitable for use in photomultipliers.
70ns!!!
Fredz, you 're busted :lol:
The Ce:YAG green phosphor is used in cathode ray tubes as it is said, but not in the ones used for CRT monitors. These tubes are used in photomultipliers, which are devices used in research laboratories to detect interruptions in beams of light.

Most of the tubes in CRT monitors use P22 phosphors (ZnS:Cu,Al composition for green) which are sometimes but very rarely replaced by the P43 green phosphor (composition : Gd2O2S:Tb) which doesn't exhibit the ghosting problem.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Anyway, that P-22, P-43 sh*t is old . :lol:
"An Advanced Nanophosphor Technology for General Illumination"
Conventional phosphors are in micrometer scale, light scattering at grain boundaries is strong and decreases light output. Conventional phosphors obtained by solid state sintering method has lower concentration quenching threshold due to non-uniform doping. The cost of conventional the sol-gel method to produce nano-phosphors is too high, due to low solubility of metal alkoxides. Salted sol-gel method (SSG) can prepare nano-phosphors in size from tens to hundreds of nanometers that are smaller than the light wavelength and can reduce scattering. SSG can improve uniformity of doping and lift the concentration quenching threshold. SSG is capable for massive production at low cost. We plan to make high energy-efficient nanophosphors, such as conventional YAG:Ce, and novel R2O3:Ce.
then panasonic are cheapskates too? cheap posphor? no-cadmium behavior? who woulda thought.
http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/ ... tfolio.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The objective is to create white LEDs composed of blue LEDs and colloidal red, green,
and blue quantum dot phosphors. Quantum dot phosphors have the advantages over
conventional phosphors of very low optical scattering and the ability to create custom
LED system spectral responses. The final material properties will be red, green, and blue
quantum dot phosphor films having quantum efficiencies greater than 90%, optical
scattering losses of less than 5%, and very good temperature stability up to 150 º C. In
addition, the formulated white LED will have a correlated color temperature of
approximately 4100 K and an average color rendering index greater than 90.
!!!So in theory its also possible to make flatpanel TMOS / MEMS phosphor display with CRT rgb coverage!!!
protip:Forget about hold time.

-in theory, cadmium doping solved your afterglow even before 70's, but cheapskate manufacturers researched no substitute for rare earth doping!!!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Kinda feel this thread should now be renamed "battle of bull sh!T". I am an engineer. And I know when the B.S. is flying. I'm just not impressed.

Cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Is green phosphor wrong, or it's just scrambled?
http://catalogs.infocommiq.com/AVCat/CT ... t=xj-st145" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ultra short lag green phosphor here

we'll see , it looks better to me than the amoled vs Prysm topic over avsforums, soon we'll know if we are into something here , cause I asked "xrox" @ avsforums , and someone over Prysm too.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 17554.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xc ... n_2011.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
look,
this market is begging to be disrupted, and hopefully the market leader to be dissolved

Apple TV is coming in 2011 too

Return to “3D Monitors”