Curved surround gaming screen With finished chassis new pics

mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Curved surround gaming screen With finished chassis new pics

Post by mayaman »

Hello boys and girls. I am one of those people who have been wanting more immersion for years. HMDs, triple monitors, Track ir, etc.

I recently saw a video for VCsims 180 degree screen on youtube. Blew me away. Loved it. Then realized that while I wouldn't be able to completely replicate it, I knew I could get pretty damn close.

So I went on my mission. Took off to Home Depot and with a determination and grit I seldom have, decided I wasn't going to leave till I had everything I needed.

Here are what you'll need.

1. 36x76 piece of LEXAN. It must be LEXAN as its pretty much indestructible. If you buy the other stuff, the acrylic stuff you'll just end up going back to the store to buy the LEXAN, trust me on this.

2. Next you'll need the 76" vertical vinyl blind in white. Its pefectly white, and perfect for projecting onto. Easy to cut.

3. One can of 3M spray adhesive for headliners.

4. Two patio umbrella cast iron umbrella stands.

5. Two five foot lengths of 1" PVC pipe

6. Coil of 14 gauge steel wire and wire twirl.

This project was completed from start to finish in 12 hours. One day to have the most immersive screen I've had since I started playing in 3D

Take the Lexan and lay on the floor.

Take your vinyl blind and lay over the Lexan.

Cut the vinyl blind horizontaly so it hangs at 48". Exactly 12" longer than your lexan.

Take a very sharp razor knife and cut the vinyl blind in six vertical strips. Slightly angling your cuts toward the center of the Lexan.

Once you have this done, spray the 3M headlinger glue onto the lexan at both ends and place your two end vinyl pieces. Proceed to lay the rest of the vinyl pieces in the same manner till you have a slight overlap in the middle. The best part is that you cannot see the seams at all when projecting on this surface. Its great.

Let that dry for about an hour. At this point, mount your vinyl covered Lexan to the two five foot PVC poles making sure the Lexan is mounted at the very top of the poles. You use the 14 gauge wire for this making six holes in the Lexan evenly spaced on both right and left side. use the wire twirl to get a nice tight bond.

Once this is done place the structure in the umbrella stands and secure.

You then take drill 2 holes in the top of each PVC pipe. Through these holes you thread a triple strand of the 14 gauge wire. Make sure to pre twirl the wire so that its almost like one cable. Thread it through the hole and down to the unbrella base. This is easier if you have someone helping. Pull down on the PVC pipe till you have about a 5 degree bow. and secure the Wire to the umbrella base with the wire twirl. Do this for both sides adn you should have a screen that pretty much mimics the VCsims screen for 9,800K less.

You then adjust the screens width at your leasure to your comfort. And focus your projector.

The results are stunning, simply stunning. I'm running an Optoma GT720, running through the 3D-XL and PS3 3D literally feels like you're inside the game. Super Stardust blew my socks off. Motorstore 3D rift is unbelievable.

I played NFS shift and Race 07 on PC and the results were equally amazing.

Forza on Xbox 360 was amazing.

Simply put, the best mod I've ever done. EVER. And it cost me a total of $250 in materials and 12 hours of my time.

I know my directions are long and sound complicated but it really isn't. Seriously if you take your time and think things out this is a super easy project. You're going to be amazed. The vinyl blind makes an incredible projector screen. LOL

Oh in case you're wondering how I have the projector mounted, I went to target and picked up one of the narrow, wire shelving units from the furniture/bath section. I believe its a kitchen shelving unit in black heavy gauge wire type matieral covered in rubber. Its 76" tall and make a great projector tower and even looks great.

There you go guys. Have fun, you won't regret it. Even if you mess up, the 3M headliner glue remains pliable for a couple of days. You can always buy another blind and just rip the old one off.

GO GO GO
Last edited by mayaman on Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Dome? Canopy? Triple screen? Pffffffft. Go to home D

Post by Chiefwinston »

Do you have any pictures? Racing simulators are kick @ss dude. I've been considering building my own mutiple axis simulator for a long time- with stereo 3D of course. My personal inquires into triple screen 3D have a racing simulator use in mind with it- someday.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

This sounds really cool. Can you take a picture of the setup?
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Just took some pics, will upload tonight. :)
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Here you go. :)

Feel free to ask questions. I'd like everyone to experiment and have fun. you can do a lot when you draw out simple plans, have an idea of what you want and take your time and have fun.

The Bob Earl VRC chassis is fantastic. Its super moddable and comfortable. I raised it, added a 300lb spring suspension and buttkicker. Great platform for flight and racing.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Curved surround gaming screen update, with pics.

Post by Chiefwinston »

Okay, yeah I see how you've taken a similar approach to screen as the VCsims 180 set-up. Your set-up looks really kick @ss to me. I image its very immersive with the screen wrap and lack of seams. Are you able to run stereo 3D? Your right in the realm of what I'd like in my Ultimate 3D Game Room (U3DGR). Are you using a single projector? Looks like hours and hours pure racing heaven.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
mayaman

Re: Curved surround gaming screen update, with pics.

Post by mayaman »

Here are some pics of the setup running GT5. Crystal clear and tons of immersion. This is the full chassis with F1 style frame, suspension, mounted gated shifter, Clubsport pedals mounted to the frame as well as the steering wheel. Final component will be a D-box motion platform and the other two projectors for the rest of the 180 degree screen. Almost finished with this project. So I can get back to online gaming. Been kinda obsessed with finishing it. :)

Notice the curvature of the screen and how that surrounds your field of view with minimal distortion thanks to keystone correction. You literally get almost zero distortion except at the extreme edges, which your eyes can't see any way. With the other two screens and two more projectors there will be ZERO distortion and you'll have a full 180 degree view. :D

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Curved surround gaming screen With finished chassis new

Post by yuriythebest »

please forgive me while I drool
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Wow! Friggin' sick!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Yeah that rocks big time. I don't know how I'll sneak something like that by the wife. Could you take some photos with some camo covering it or flower pots around it. I'm just planning how I might disguise something like this. Cause I really really want one. Thanks dude.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Why would your wife care if it's somewhere out of sight?
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

I left my girl, now I base which woman I date based on if she accepts my hobbies. Life is to short to bend to the whims of women. ;)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Ha!
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

ON TOPIC: How will three projectors fit on this screen? I don't see how there's enough horizontal space. Are you using 5:4/4:3 aspect ratio rather than 16:10/16:9? I think I'd want three in 16:10/16:9, mainly for FPS and RPG.

OFF TOPIC: I'd probably have to marry a gamergirl/transhumanist, because whenever I hear "Hmm, how'll I sneak that by the wife?" I cringe lol. I'm certainly not going to spend my life haggling with the person I live with. I understand many women are not interested in gaming, but I don't understand why they often seemingly insist on controlling every aspect of their husbands' lives. I'm a feminist of the gender equality, not male submission, type. More than the ultimate 3D gameroom, my dream is to build the ultimate reality escape system. THAT is not something many women will be on board with haha! I plan to write a book about it, in fact.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

ha ha good luck with the ladies guys. Me thinks your going to be alone and wondering why. :lol:
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Hehe, I'm 42 and Latin, I've had plenty of luck with the ladies. To be honest I've catered to their whims for 27 years, it's me time now. :)
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

well before anyone gets bent. I was only teasing and playing around- peace.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Hehe I know. Good luck with your build.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Okay, but you guys know to marry a rich girl, right? just check'n.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Chiefwinston wrote:ha ha good luck with the ladies guys. Me thinks your going to be alone and wondering why. :lol:
Actually, I plan on building the ultimate robot girlfriend. And I will program her to love playing stereo 3D games!!!!! :D
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

I've gathered that you are currently using only one projector. Which model? How will you expand to three? You'll need a wider screen, won't you? Landscape or portrait? I just discovered that portrait 3DVS is officially supported! Am I correct in thinking that portrait widescreen allows for a higher FOV than landscape widescreen? 2160x1280 sounds great.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”