Samsung 3D Plasma's

slipstream
Cross Eyed!

Samsung 3D Plasma's

Post by slipstream »

I have just bought the PS50C680 version and am having a nightmare with my grainy 3D image. There are 7 modes available. these are

1) 2D-3D

2) side by side

3) Top and Bottom

4) Line by line

5) vertical stripe

6) checker board

7) Frequency

I only have option 1 available to me, and my desktop res is set to 1080p@24.
I am using the nvidia 3DTV Play software and have a mini hdmi to hdmi cable running from my gtx 480.

The picture quality in 3D is terrible, especially the blacks, very grainy. Just wondered if anyone else here has the same TV and can give me any guidance.
:?:

When I am at the desktop and activate the 3D mode the picture quality goes grainy straight away.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Samsung 3D Plasma's

Post by cybereality »

Does the quality look any better with 2D content, like a regular 2D Blu-Ray?
slipstream
Cross Eyed!

Post by slipstream »

Yes Cyber's. All is perfect in 2D. Its just 3D mode that the grainy image appears.

If it's the TV that produces the 3D image then what does the 3DTV Play software do exactly? This is what confuses me. I assumed that my PC produced the 3D image but it seems to me that a 2D image is sent from the PC and then the TV converts it into 3D, but does it horribly.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

You DO NOT want to use the built-in 3D conversion. It is not real 3D, it is basically a cheap gimmick that might look cool 10% of the time. I mean, even a broken clock is right twice a day... You want to feed the TV a true 3D image, either in HDMI 1.4 mode or something like side-by-side. You don't have to set your desktop to 24Hz. You should be able to leave it at 1080P @ 60Hz and it will switch when you load a game or play a movie. Games will only be able to do 720P, but I believe the Nvidia 3D TV Play software will handle this. You can also try the iz3D driver is side-by-side mode. I know some LCD monitors run in overdrive mode in 3D, but I didn't think this was necessary on plasma due to the high refresh. Its possible that the hardware scaler on the TV is just cheap, or runs in some low quality mode due to the extra processing needed for 3D. Not sure why no one has brought this up before.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”