The first models of LG's new 3D TVs

Shilar
One Eyed Hopeful

The first models of LG's new 3D TVs

Post by Shilar »

I recently visited and demoed the new LG TV, with a review under Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/47In-1980X1080-24 ... VFCY7Z5VDY

Great news, the RealD glasses DO work on this model, and the 55 inch.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: The first models of LG's new 3D TVs

Post by cybereality »

I heard the Vizio's are using these same panels, and they are a little cheaper. The 32" Vizio is going to sell for $500. I'm trying to decide between that and a projector, but I will probably go with the projector just due to size.
Shilar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shilar »

I'd go for the Vizio too, but I have heard the ominous item: Vizio is using some other polarization, so RealD glasses won't work. Also, if you're gonna go for the gusto, get the first one to come out with it, and get it big.

Course, if you want the better 3D, build a 3D PC and two projectors.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

No, the Vizio are using the same circular polarizers as RealD.

http://www.vizio.com/accessories/xpg201.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shilar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shilar »

cybereality wrote:No, the Vizio are using the same circular polarizers as RealD.

http://www.vizio.com/accessories/xpg201.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh ok, I heard one of the groups developing 3D TVs was using a different pattern is all ;) Thanks for the tip.

However, if I read that right, I only see the 65" on the vizio site... and it's $3100US! Jeez...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The entry level model has a MSRP of $550, but Amazon has it listed for $500.
http://www.vizio.com/lcd-hdtvs/e3d320vx.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.amazon.com/Vizio-E3D320VX-32 ... B004T1YAEI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is also a 42" version for $700:
http://www.amazon.com/Vizio-E3D420VX-42 ... B004U5T2OG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shilar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shilar »

cybereality wrote:The entry level model has a MSRP of $550, but Amazon has it listed for $500.
http://www.vizio.com/lcd-hdtvs/e3d320vx.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.amazon.com/Vizio-E3D320VX-32 ... B004T1YAEI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is also a 42" version for $700:
http://www.amazon.com/Vizio-E3D420VX-42 ... B004U5T2OG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks. I'll find a local store and see how it is compared to the LG. I prefer to look before buying is all.
Shilar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shilar »

I looked at the website, and while it sounds promising, when are they coming out? May?
Shilar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shilar »

Ok, I tried the Vizio 32" model 3D, and it's a bit... ghosted, even with the optimal viewing range (4-6 feet away) on the Blu-ray menu. Also, it only had 3D on the viewing modes (don't know the mode, but I suspect RealD, or Left/Right). The Vizio 65" had 3 modes (Left/Right, Over/Under, Sensio). LG 47", 5 (Over/Under, Left/Right, Checker board, Frame Sequential... and 2D-> 3D conversion). Only question remains is how would one play a 3D DVD on the Vizio... I could on the LG.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Shilar wrote:Only question remains is how would one play a 3D DVD on the Vizio...
If you had an HTPC you could use the Stereoscopic Player. Outputting interleaved should work, or you could use Nvidia or AMD HDMI 1.4 modes.
Shilar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shilar »

cybereality wrote:
Shilar wrote:Only question remains is how would one play a 3D DVD on the Vizio...
If you had an HTPC you could use the Stereoscopic Player. Outputting interleaved should work, or you could use Nvidia or AMD HDMI 1.4 modes.
Mhmm, it still leaves to question whether 3D Vision will work with it. I suspect it might, either in HDMI or RGB mode. At least with the LG, one can make a RealD DVD, and play it on there without hassle. At least until someone comes out with a 3D Blu-Ray maker (since also they have 3D camcorders). Let's pressure some companies!
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

ive had the 32" for a couple weeks now, (and also happen to be in ft worth btw). i wrote up a short tutorial on how to get 3d vision/3dtv play working on this tv:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=13176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ive noticed the ghosting can vary a lot depending on viewing distance and vertical angle from center. i use it mainly as a computer monitor and have so far found that viewing from about a meter away square at the center yields the best image for close up 3d viewing. unfortunately, the stand is not adjustable so i have mine propped up on phonebooks on the desk.

i have had good results using powerdvd and having it output in interlaced mode for 3d. i use videolan for my sbs mkvs and set the tv to sbs mode. if the tv is receiving a standard signal, you can choose sbs, top/bottom, or sensio. if it is receiving a framepacked signal, you will be limited to just on/off for 3d.
Shilar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shilar »

bgnome wrote:ive had the 32" for a couple weeks now, (and also happen to be in ft worth btw). i wrote up a short tutorial on how to get 3d vision/3dtv play working on this tv:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=13176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ive noticed the ghosting can vary a lot depending on viewing distance and vertical angle from center. i use it mainly as a computer monitor and have so far found that viewing from about a meter away square at the center yields the best image for close up 3d viewing. unfortunately, the stand is not adjustable so i have mine propped up on phonebooks on the desk.

i have had good results using powerdvd and having it output in interlaced mode for 3d. i use videolan for my sbs mkvs and set the tv to sbs mode. if the tv is receiving a standard signal, you can choose sbs, top/bottom, or sensio. if it is receiving a framepacked signal, you will be limited to just on/off for 3d.

Thanks for this info. So if HDMI 1.3, it'll show the other modes? That means I can burn RealD.
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

Shilar wrote:Thanks for this info. So if HDMI 1.3, it'll show the other modes? That means I can burn RealD.
if you mean that you are running at 1080p60hz, 720p60Hz, etc., then yes, you can manually switch the tv to one of the 3d modes. i think this is the only way to run 1080p60Hz in 3D if you have a half res source.
Shilar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shilar »

True. Most of my movies are 720p.
soundstorm
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by soundstorm »

Sorry if this is a dumb question but is the 3D mode FullHD? Not half-res? Im waiting for passive TV's... And with checkerboard support and 1.4.. seems like they're here. :o
Shilar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shilar »

soundstorm wrote:Sorry if this is a dumb question but is the 3D mode FullHD? Not half-res? Im waiting for passive TV's... And with checkerboard support and 1.4.. seems like they're here. :o
Sounds like you went to Best Buy (worst place to talk tech)...

The TVs are not "FullHD" (FullHD is another moniker for HD). They use the same Full HD programming RealD uses to show its movies in 3D. RealD is the best in the market for any 3D IMO (IMAX uses shutter glasses... so I won't watch those as I'm "one of the few" that gets headaches from them). As for the Blu-Ray/Directv angle, all 3D TVs are fully compatible up to 1080p, with most starting the refresh rate of 120 Hz (compared with 60Hz for the old HDTV models). Certain models use motion sensing, and can clear up the picture when an item is moving fast, eliminating blur. "FullHD is just a branding they can put on the TV.

With passive 3D, the only thing you need to worry on is distance from the TV. 4-6 feet is optimal for the 3D effect to work. Aside from that, it doesn't matter what position you're in to see the 3D (you can be on the side, or in front). And again, it is as HD as you can get (only non-HD you'll see in 3D is my 3D DVDs).
Last edited by Shilar on Mon May 09, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@soundstorm: This TV, like pretty much every passive home display, uses interlacing to produce the 3D effect. So it is not "FullHD" but rather 1920 x 540 per eye. However, it still probably looks better than 720P, just not as nice as the full 1080P HD.

@Shilar: At least in the U.S., IMAX theaters stopped using shutter glasses many years ago. I recall going to IMAX back in the 90's and they had these crazy helmets you had to wear. They looked like this:

Thankfully they stopped doing that a while ago. Now they use thin passive polarized glasses:

soundstorm
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by soundstorm »

Thanks Likay for the info. By the way, have you guys been visiting the website of RealD recently?
RealD's RDZ 3D display technology offers full resolution, high-definition 3D video and is compatible with the same passive 3D eyewear used in most of the world's 3D-equipped motion picture theatres today. Unlike other 3D display technologies compatible with passive eyewear that cut resolution in half in 3D or lower image quality in 2D, RealD's RDZ technology delivers full resolution images and is 2D compatible, resulting in no degradation of image quality in 2D mode.
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

cybereality wrote:@Shilar: At least in the U.S., IMAX theaters stopped using shutter glasses many years ago. I recall going to IMAX back in the 90's and they had these crazy helmets you had to wear.

Thankfully they stopped doing that a while ago. Now they use thin passive polarized glasses
the last time i saw a 3d movie at the imax was for the superman remake. i kept the glasses. they were linear polarized.
soundstorm wrote:Thanks Likay for the info. By the way, have you guys been visiting the website of RealD recently?
RealD's RDZ 3D display technology offers full resolution, high-definition 3D video and is compatible with the same passive 3D eyewear used in most of the world's 3D-equipped motion picture theatres today. Unlike other 3D display technologies compatible with passive eyewear that cut resolution in half in 3D or lower image quality in 2D, RealD's RDZ technology delivers full resolution images and is 2D compatible, resulting in no degradation of image quality in 2D mode.
if i am not mistaken, RDZ is similar to their Z-screen tech where polarization is actively modulated per eye. it is basically the same thing that IZ3D used in their monitors, except circularly polarized. This means that each eye is getting a full screen image but at alternating frames, much like pageflipping. samsung already demonstrated this in one of their displays, but it is prohibitively expensive and thus marketed for professional/medical use only.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

bgnome wrote: if i am not mistaken, RDZ is similar to their Z-screen tech where polarization is actively modulated per eye. it is basically the same thing that IZ3D used in their monitors, except circularly polarized. This means that each eye is getting a full screen image but at alternating frames, much like pageflipping.
The RDZ is nothing like IZ3D, aside from the fact that they are using a dynamic polarizing layer. The method is totally different.
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

cybereality wrote:
bgnome wrote: if i am not mistaken, RDZ is similar to their Z-screen tech where polarization is actively modulated per eye. it is basically the same thing that IZ3D used in their monitors, except circularly polarized. This means that each eye is getting a full screen image but at alternating frames, much like pageflipping.
The RDZ is nothing like IZ3D, aside from the fact that they are using a dynamic polarizing layer. The method is totally different.
then i am mistaken.. :lol:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?su ... 1304582822" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
looks like LG updated their firmware in order to deliver both even and odd lines to each eye. since the lines per eye are fixed by the fpr, does this mean that the extra frame is shifted up a pixel for the left eye and down a pixel for the right? would that really be better than the current method where only odd lines are shown from the left and even for the right?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

That sounds interesting, but I'm not so sure if that would help. At any one instant of time, you would still be getting 1920x540 pixels per eye. They would just to quickly flashing the data that would otherwise be thrown away. But this sounds to me like it would be jarring to look it. Unless they are combining the frames into one, sort of like is done on the iz3D driver's optimized interlaced mode. Not sure whats going on here exactly.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”