Upgrade Your 2D Display to 3D. Is this for real?

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Upgrade Your 2D Display to 3D. Is this for real?

Post by cybereality »

I have recently stumbled upon a few different solutions claiming to convert *any* old 2D LCD/Plasma/DLP HDTV or projector into a 3D display. At first this seems like nonsense. I mean, with everything that has been said about timing issues on LCD panels, flicker with 60Hz displays, etc. it would seem like this is not possible. But there are multiple companies claiming it works (there's even a video demonstration below). So if this is for real, have we all been hoodwinked? Have all the HDTVs and computer monitors we own been 3D capable this whole time? If that's true then it would seem like quite a conspiracy. Whats the deal here?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLweREUTDiI[/youtube]

http://www.explore3dtv.com/article/1609 ... able-Sets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3D-Displayer Flyer 1.jpg
http://www.3d-vip.com/#!products/viewst ... layer-info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ERP
Cross Eyed!

Re: Upgrade Your 2D Display to 3D. Is this for real?

Post by ERP »

Looks like they have a box that converts HDMI1.4 to 30Hz/eye sequential, which obviously you can watch on any 60Hz TV with the obvious ammount of additional flickering involved.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

No, it is actually not that obvious. I have tried shutter glasses on 60Hz LCDs and they didn't work, as have numerous members on this board. People said that the timings on standard LCD panels were not precise enough to sync with shutter glasses or something to that effect. Surely there was a reason everyone thought that shutter glasses wouldn't work on 60Hz LCD displays.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

If thas was true, don't you think the information wouldn't come from major manufacturers instead of small obscure companies ? The VIP 3D Displayer is a variation over the VIP 3D Gamer, ie. a box that transforms HDMI 1.4 signal to field sequential. They advertise televisions and projectors as supported, and although it'll work on DLP projectors even if they aren't 120Hz as we already know, the results on LCD TVs will be a lot more less convincing.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Newer lcd's have generally quicker responcetime than old ones but saying they work decent with 3d and shutters is a lie at this state. They works well with anaglyph though but that's not really a "counted" option...
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

yeah its 30 / eye = 60 hz

as far as desync and anomalies go, they might just open the shutter for some 1.5 ms... but twice or something...
the custom installer is able to dynamically control various functions such as frequency (60Hz/120Hz),

if 120hz won't work (opening the shutter twice per frame), then the product must be practically useless.
IT IS TIME TO TAKE THE BRAGGING RIGHTS FOR HAVING THE BEST HOME THEATRE SETUP ON THE BLOCK!
:lol:
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

First, JAP demonstrated its solution using the 60Hz frequency. I think 120Hz and 240Hz may have met their match when it comes to 3D.

Personally I found a couple of reasons why 60Hz may be better than the higher rates, starting with adjustment times. My eyes seemed to adjust much faster and more comfortably with the lower range.

Also, overall comfort was much better. 60Hz means breaking the video down to about 30 frames per second for each eye, which is much easier on the eyes.

How about a BIG issue with traditional 3D: Crosstalk. With JAP's solution, crosstalk was less bothersome than it tends to be with traditional 3D implementations.
All for a mere $5000.

"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Okta wrote: All for a mere $5000.
I know, right! You could buy a top of the line Sony Bravia 60" 3DTV for that price. And without even seeing their solution I guarantee that Sony set will blow them away. You'd be a fool to pay that much.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

yuriythebest wrote:Image
That is so wrong on so many levels. But just FYI, I did test my parallax barrier with some NSFW content, and it does indeed work.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

yuriythebest wrote:Image
Cool! It's indeed 3D!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Love the website. Zero details just give us your money. This thing proven to work yet?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Okta wrote:Love the website. Zero details just give us your money. This thing proven to work yet?
I think someone on AVS had gotten the VIP Displayer and claimed it worked, but I still have my doubts.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”