help, ATI laptop or NVIDIA all in one 3-D purchase?

Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

help, ATI laptop or NVIDIA all in one 3-D purchase?

Post by Silversurfer »

I currently have a Nvidia-based gaming desktop which I will upgrade to 3-D with the addition of a second Nvidia graphics card at some stage later But in the meantime I need to upgrade my laptop to a 3-D multimedia /daily multitouch spec and dual link DV I connection to a Acer 273D monitor and as I don't believe in putting all my eggs in one basket I want to give ATI 3-D a shot.

I have my eye on the new (but currently not available in the UK) HP envy 17 inch Sandy Bridge and more importantly, the 1GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6850M Graphics [HDMI] GPU.

however, I cannot get over the value for money of the Asus ET2400XVT-B009E Nvidia 3D + multitouch all in one. it is not aTI 3D but on the plus side, to my knowledge, it is the first all in one, which is being marketed as hardware easily upgradable through the rear panel configuration.

Also, I would be gaining on the screen size at 23 inch-120 Hz 3-D panel and the prices currently only £1200, £300-£400 cheaper than the HP 17 inch 3-D laptop. On the negative it doesn't seem to have a Sandy Bridge refresh in the near future, but as this will be used as a multimedia /daily multitouch use rather than a gaming PC. I think the .Intel® Core™ i7 -740QM and NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX460M GPU Video RAM memory 1.5 GB would be good enough?

the other negative would be I would have to in fairness change my desktop gaming laptop into a 3-D ATI config, more expensive due to moving from NVIDIA to ATI platform and I'm not sure that ATI 3-D gaming is as advanced as NVIDIA 3-D desktop play gaming, especially in a SLI? Or more disadvantage with the Asus is it is not so future proof that it uses the HDMI 1.3 spec to the best of my knowledge.
my ideal scenario would be a ATI 23 inch all in one 3D PC so I can stick to my plan of a NVIDIA 3-D gaming desktop cheaper upgrade option.

does anybody know of a soon-to-be-released ATI all in one 3D as I am prepared to wait?

You can see my quandary so I would appreciate any help from you guys on this 3D forum :-)
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: help, ATI laptop or NVIDIA all in one 3-D purchase?

Post by cybereality »

As far as I can tell, there aren't any AMD laptops that are confirmed to be working with HDMI 1.4 3D. In terms of laptops, I would recommend the ASUS G73SW-3DE, which is the model I am planning on buying. Its a little expensive but it has a full 1080P 3D screen, comes with the Nvidia glasses, and works with external HDMI 1.4 displays. It also includes a 1TB HDD + 8GB SSD, a Blu-Ray BURNER, USB 3.0, the works.

If you want an all in one unit, then take a look at the MSI Wind Top AE2420 3D.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: help, ATI laptop or NVIDIA all in one 3-D purchase?

Post by Silversurfer »

cheers i'll give them a check. ;)
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”