Crysis 2 PC 3D support?

Fasty
One Eyed Hopeful

Crysis 2 PC 3D support?

Post by Fasty »

Just wondering if anyone can report on what 3D options there are in the full game on PC? In the demo you had to have an NVidia card or something to be able to utilise it (the 3D option was greyed out otherwise), which is ridiculous.

I would love to know from anyone with an older ATI card (4xxx series for example) if there is an option for side-by-side viewing?

Also, how does it look? Is it obvious that it is using depth maps to create the effect?
plagiarize
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Crysis 2 PC 3D support?

Post by plagiarize »

I have a HD5870 and that option is still greyed out for me. i have heard from a friend with an nvidia card that they can get into the menu. they don't have any 3d drivers or Nvidia 3D play. they were able to choose from interlaced and side by side and play it on their samsung 3d tv.

Tonight after work I'm going to put my old nvidia card into my pc to see if that unlocks the greyed out menu. i'll be pretty mad if it does since nothing on the box says that it requires an nvidia card to work. I was able to get true stereoscopy working with the iz3d drivers, though there were a few notable glitches (gun and hands in one eye were completely blurred, lighting effects didn't all show up in both eyes)... still looked pretty damn good though.

i really want to be able to compare the two methods. i think i'll be unsatisfied with the depth map 3d, but i'd like to find out for myself. the perfomance difference may be worth it.
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Crysis 2 console commands

Post by AntiCatalyst »

I haven't gotten the game yet(and i have an nvidia card), but seems to me like you should be able to turn on stereo output through console.

CryTek is known for doing that you know, just look at the original crysis. When running Crysis in DX9 mode, the top end graphics were greyed out, but if you enabled them in the config file, it would look just as good as in dx10. So, microsoft and/or the graphics card companies probably sponsored them to make Vista and/or DX10 graphics cards look better.

Anyway, these are all the crysis2 console commands that have "stereo" in them.

Code: Select all

g_stereoIronsightEyeDistance "0.0064"
g_stereoIronsightWeaponDistance "0.375"
hud_stereo_icon_depth_multiplier "1"
hud_stereo_maxDist "10"
hud_stereo_minDist "0.1"
hud_stereo_multiplier "1"
hud_stereo_objective_icon_depth "500"
r_StereoDevice "100 [DUMPTODISK,rEQUIRE_APP_RESTART]"
r_StereoEyeDist "0.02"
r_StereoFlipEyes
r_StereoGammaAdjustment "0.12"
r_StereoHudScreenDist "0.5"
r_StereoMode
r_StereoNearGeoScale "0.65"
r_StereoOutput
r_StereoScreenDist "0.25"
r_StereoStrength "1"
sys_flash_stereo_maxparallax "0.02"
"This is great!"
plagiarize
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by plagiarize »

thanks for the help, but no luck yet. can't seem to open the console in game even with the ini commands to enable the console... i tried putting the display and output ones in my ini, and tried setting them = 1 but that didn't do anything.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Nice find, I wonder what the r_StereoMode is for, maybe a choice between brute-force and reprojection. Did you try to modify it ?
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

r_StereoDevice

Sets stereo device (only possible before app start)
Usage: r_StereoDevice [0/1/2/3/4]
0: No stereo support (default)
1: Frame compatible formats (side-by-side, interlaced, anaglyph)
2: HDMI 1.4 (PS3 only)
3: Stereo driver (PC only, NVidia or AMD)
4: Dualhead (PC only, two projectors or iZ3D screen)
100: Auto-detect device for platform

r_StereoMode
1: Dual rendering
2: Post Stereo
color me supriced if this works
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Another nice find, so it looks that they've also implemented the brute-force method (dual rendering) and not only reprojection (post stereo).
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

but it won't work , they already tried . Maybe when they launch gtx590 but extremely unlikely.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

According to the list the r_stereomode "1" or r_stereomode=1 parameter should let one choose dual rendering. Strange that the parameter else exists but at least promising for future patches if not working right now...
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

I'd just forget about this game.
The regular method to be honest while looks good hurts in multi player games like this. However I do enjoy getting FRAGGED in 3D.
-they don't even notice they arent looking at 3d.
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

tritosine wrote:-they don't even notice they arent looking at 3d.
well, they kinda are. Like the virtual 3d mode in Tri-Def, they're using the Z-buffer to parallax-shift the images, so it's not just your average guess-based conversion... but you probably already knew that ;)

IMO, it's no less "3d" than rendering two separate viewpoints.. The Z-buffer method is just a tradeoff; it's a lot faster but introduces some occlusion artifacts.
"This is great!"
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

The "Virtual 3D" mode on DDD has way more depth than whatever BS Crytek is trying to pass off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3auOYN9EFQI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

yeah, but my point is it's not the tech itself that is at fault here - crytek just kept the separation settings VERY low to keep occlusion artifacts to a minimum.
Hopefully this will all be changed through a simple console command :)

Has anyone here tried the r_StereoEyeDist command?
"This is great!"
rvdm88
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rvdm88 »

Just tried adding the 2 commands "r_StereoMode = 1" and "r_StereoDevice = 1" to the system.cfg as a last attempt to get 3D to work on my Zalman screen and ATI 5870.

it had no effect, am i doing something wrong?
KrisRoberts
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by KrisRoberts »

The occlusion artifacts around the gun look pretty severe to me. Once I started seeing them its hard for me to ignore.

Each eye sees an area around the gun that appears to be a transparent outline of the same shape where the other eye sees the gun geometry.

The background is filled in on each eye's transparent section but it is not aligned properly with the real background.

In the screenshot below, look at the iron sight at the end of the gun, the tip of the barrel and the near sight.

tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

its a joke man, its all cardboard cut out basically
Looks like Crysis 2 3D is still three 2D layers but with some miniscule z-based parallax added on the world layer
guido vision ready
plagiarize
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by plagiarize »

rvdm88 wrote:Just tried adding the 2 commands "r_StereoMode = 1" and "r_StereoDevice = 1" to the system.cfg as a last attempt to get 3D to work on my Zalman screen and ATI 5870.

it had no effect, am i doing something wrong?
i don't think you're doing anything wrong. i don't think it works on ATI cards currently, and that better be something they fix because the box says nothing about it requiring specific cards to run in 3D.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

with this excessive motion blur, and depth of field all over the place, I wouldn't even play it if we can't shut down those first.
Guido Vision ready.
-you and your ATI cardsss, we ownn yoooo
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

???
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Likay wrote:???
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... off?page=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
protip: forget about the game, cuz,
nVidia won't admit theres anything wrong with this, ppl with the surround rigs will be happy anyway*, while objective reviewers like Digital_Foundry are laying a smackdown on fake 3d, & that won't count at all.

(you missed the guido craze in sweden?)
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

No, it's not news in any way. Correct me if i'm wrong but nvidia doesn't have anything to do with cryteks bad choice of trying to introduce their no performance hit 3d... As for you i'm astonished that someone with their right minds approve this as a good solution. I didn't expect wonders but i admit i hoped for alot better from crytek.
Now still: There's a dual rendering option in the configfile (eventhough the actual function doesn't work yet) and maybe they implement it in a future patch. Why include it if hasn't been there before? Unfortunately this kind of logic doesn't seem to apply too much regarding stereoscopy these days though. Only time will show but it's too early to trash it already. It seems like a good game otherwise, just yet not in 3d.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

wow, I can't hardly believe that 3D reviews in gaming press has changed so much in the right direction.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

crim3 wrote:wow, I can't hardly believe that 3D reviews in gaming press has changed so much in the right direction.
that's digital foundry article and they are professional to begin with, it's read by professionals and industry ppl. Don't worry, Crytek won't care, just buy some more shameless PR.
too early to trash it already.
Then, who wants to bet we never see dual rendering in this game? They are so knee deep in 2d post processing ( UGLY!!!), it wouldn't look anything like this blurry hell.
Fasty
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Fasty »

Well, I finally got the 3D options working by adding r_StereoSupportAMD=1 to my system.cfg file.

Here is an example of the spectacular 2D post-processing effect in action.
2011-04-04_00002.jpg
I am in cloaked mode here. Notice how the texture of my cloaked gun has just been flattened against the scenery? Mind you, I am using an AMD graphics card, which was locked out of being able to use 3D by default for some unknown reason. Any nvidia users experiencing this effect?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

well I thnink you are spoiling the game in case a true stereoscopic patch comes out ...
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Fasty wrote:Mind you, I am using an AMD graphics card, which was locked out of being able to use 3D by default for some unknown reason.
Well that's probably not the Way it was Meant to be Played! :lol:
Fasty
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Fasty »

True! That's why I asked if anyone with an nvidia card could confirm if it happened with theirs too :P
dumoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dumoss »

for anyone who has an ATI card to make stereo 3d work on a supported ati card you must go into the game configuration file and add the line r_stereosupportamd = 1 before you start the game up then the 3d options will become available to you. it runs awesome on my system ( i7 950 overclocked to 3.84 ghz 6 gigs of 1600 triple channel ram and crossfired radeons hd6950s with 4 gigs of ram and a ssd hard drive) hope this helps anyone having problems, it took me some time to find the answer to this myself so i though i would pass it on. good luck.

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”