Legend Of The Guardians 3D

Talk about the latest 3D movies in the theater and at home!
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Legend Of The Guardians 3D

Post by android78 »

The Legend of the Guardians is a film based on a children's book which is essentially about sibling rivalry and good vs. evil. The plot is simplistic and we all know where it's heading from the beginning (hint: the good guys win), but it is beautifully depicted in one of the best 3D animations I have seen and there are a few nice twists and absolutely mind blowing scenes along the way.

In this review, I won't focus too much on the story since it is a children's story and I wouldn't want to ruin the few surprises in an otherwise predictable tale about good triumph over evil. What prevents this from being just another boring movie though is the delightful mix of amusing characters that the main character, Soren, meets on his journey to the inevitable final battle, along with animation that rivals (and often in my opinion surpasses) that of Avatar.

The scenes are all beautifully rendered, with every detail, be it every individual feather or the trees dotted on distant hills disappearing into a sunset. This has been done before, but the 3D actually adds a vastness to the scenes that I haven't seen before in an animated movie.

It may be disappointing to some 3D experts that most of the visuals are rendered at screen depth or behind with little pop-out, but it works well in this case. I say this because, while there is a decent depth to the scenes, I never felt any eye fatigue or discomfort. The times when there was out of screen effects, they were appropriate and mind blowing. Flying with water almost hitting your face felt wonderful and exciting - I don't believe it would be the same in 2D.

Some people complain about the halving of light when you are watching 3D content, but I think it works in this movies favor. For a kids movie, it is quite dark, both in story line and visuals. If you think of Tangled, Shrek or toy story when you think kids movie, this isn't a kids movie.

I have seen this movie in 3D both at the cinema and at home (3D Blu-ray on a 58" plasma) and, while the 3D on the blu-ray isn't as life-like as it was in the cinemas, it is still a delight to watch and much more pronounced 3D then most of the content that I have seen.

In summary:
While this movie may not have the most complex of stories, it is one of the best 3D movies to watch, be it in cinema or on 3D Bluray. The characters are adorable (although aimed at children), the rendering and animation is beautifully and lovingly executed, and the 3D is pronounced, appropriate, comfortable and wonderful to look at. If you're a fan of 3D, I recommend getting this movie, especially if you have children.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Legend Of The Guardians 3D

Post by cybereality »

Nice. I'll have to check this out. I did see it in theaters and I thought it was OK. Still for kids, but not as cheesy as some other stuff.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Legend Of The Guardians 3D

Post by Likay »

android78 wrote:In summary:
While this movie may not have the most complex of stories, it is one of the best 3D movies to watch, be it in cinema or on 3D Bluray. The characters are adorable (although aimed at children), the rendering and animation is beautifully and lovingly executed, and the 3D is pronounced, appropriate, comfortable and wonderful to look at. If you're a fan of 3D, I recommend getting this movie, especially if you have children.
I can't do more than agree! The release of the bluray is here by march (as many others) so meanwhile i have to settle with "other medias"... Imo this cg-animated movie works well for both adults as for kids even if the plot is copied from a numerous number of movies. It's like a mix of matrix, lord of the rings, star wars, "name whatever movie here"... Nonethless i like it a lot and it's my for now fave showcase vid for 3d. The graphic is sometimes breathtaking. I can recommend it for movie and 3d-lovers.
Cheers!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “3D Movies (Blu-Ray and Theater)”