LG's Making a Full 3D Smartphone—Complete With a Built-In 3D

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

LG's Making a Full 3D Smartphone—Complete With a Built-In 3D

Post by Silversurfer »

LG will soon show off its newest device: The Optimus 3D. It's a smartphone with a nice assortment of connectivity options such as HDMI and DLNA, a glasses-free 3D display, and a built-in dual-lens 3D camera. What the hell, LG?

Either this device will be all sorts of awesome—a built-in 3D camera does sound fun—or it will be the worst horror unleashed onto the tech world in recent memory.

I can't wait to see it.

http://gizmodo.com/5748325/lgs-making-a ... Gizmodo%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Silversurfer

Re: LG's Making a Full 3D Smartphone—Complete With a Built-I

Post by Silversurfer »

LG confirms Optimus 3D for MWC 2011: glasses-free screen and 3D camera
By Ross Miller posted Jan 31st 2011 9:37PM

We've had a feeling that LG was going to tackle 3D smartphones heads-on sometime in February, and after a spat of rumors today purported to be showing off the Optimus 3D (pictured above, via Phandroid), the company's flat-out confirmed its Mobile World Congress debut. The Optimus 3D sports a dual-lens 3D camera, a glasses-free LCD display, and HDMI / DLNA for sharing on whatever 3D sets you have. A live demo will be at Barcelona, but whether that means we'll get to hold it in our own hands. Other specs? We'll have to wait and find out. Press release after the break.
Show full PR textPhandroid

Press release

LG TO UNVEIL WORLD'S FIRST FULL 3D SMARTPHONE AT MOBILE WORLD CONGRESS 2011

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

LG TO UNVEIL WORLD'S FIRST FULL 3D SMARTPHONE AT MOBILE WORLD CONGRESS 2011

3D Recording-Viewing-Sharing of Life's Precious Moments Anytime, Anywhere

SEOUL, Feb. 1, 2011 – At this year's Mobile World Congress, LG will unveil the LG Optimus 3D, the world's first 3D smartphone offering consumers a full 3D experience right in the palm of their hands.

The LG Optimus 3D addresses the lack of 3D content issue -- one of the biggest problems facing the 3D market -- with a complete platform for a one-of-a-kind experience on a mobile device. LG's most advanced smartphone to date will feature a dual-lens camera for 3D recording, a glasses-free LCD panel for 3D viewing and diverse connectivity options such as HDMI and DLNA for 3D content sharing anytime, anywhere.

Further details and a live demo of the LG Optimus 3D will be offered at Booth #8B178 at MWC in Barcelona from February 14 to 17.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/lg-c ... -3d-camer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I am selling my Galaxy S Vibrant so I can get this.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

:lol: I love the way, in the photo there is no network connectivity... That's pretty common with my android phone. ;)
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

i predict 720p projectors in handhelds by the end of the year and laser next year
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

tritosine wrote:i predict 720p projectors in handhelds by the end of the year and laser next year
Something like this:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/29/germ ... projector/

Reading the article, it says there are 45 200*200 pixel projectors in it... I guess that's 9*5, giving a resolution of 1800*1000 pixels... At that size, it would be fantastic for playing with for HMDs!!!
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

i dunno if that pico IQ is any good .

pico DLP:
Thers a problem , native contrast is severely limited because of the physical size of the device.

scanning laser:
best native contrast, enough brightness will be problematic because fast switching laser restrictions or something...

Obviously for me the best would be a large, silent scanning laser with 400 lumens............. that's sure not handheld :(

For HMD, scanning laser is best. ;) FullHD is coming next year by microvision...
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

3D phone with 3D camera, very cool. Personally I am not sure this will be necessary since I plan on getting the Nintendo 3DS (which will probably have better 3D games anyway). Having a pocket sized 3D camera would be pretty cool though.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

True, but the 3DS only does photos, this does video recording as well. And the 3DS is only 640x480, most decent phone cameras are at least 5mp these days, with a lot of these new superphones packing 8mp.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yes, that is true. I guess I'm just trying to convince myself I don't need this 3D phone seeing as I just bought an Android phone last week (on 2 year contract).

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”