Driving Headplays Displays with Generic Display Controller?

Fionn
One Eyed Hopeful

Driving Headplays Displays with Generic Display Controller?

Post by Fionn »

Hi all, I have a set of Headplays that developed a problem with intermittent picture.
There is a common issue with the connectors that has caused issues for a large number of users.
Anyway I tried removing the connector from the liberator pcb and soldering the cable directly but was unsuccessful.
Ideally I would like to drive the headplay display with a small controller that would take a PAL composite video signal and feed the displays. I would just want it to turn and start outputting video to the goggles, i don't need any of the functionality that the liberator provides.

There is a 14 wire cable running to the goggles, 5 shielded video wires each with individual grounds and 4 other wires (presumably power at two discrete voltages but I'd need to check again).
I was hoping that someone here with experience with the LCoS displays used in the headplay unit might be able to point me in the right direction.
Thanks for reading,
Fionn.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Driving Headplays Displays with Generic Display Controll

Post by PalmerTech »

There are no display controllers that would work out of the box, at least not that we would be able to know would work.

I do not know what country you are in, but on the USA eBay, you can get a headplay for less than $200. That is probably a lot cheaper than the parts (Not to mention the time) it would take to make your own controller.
Fionn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Fionn »

Hi PT, thanks for the reply.
Thats a little disappointing that it wouldnt really be worthwhile. I think there would be a market for modded headplays for FPV users where the liberator is more of a hindrance than anything else. I guess I'll have to bin my pair and pick up another then as you say.
Thanks again,
Fionn.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

If you are just going to bin it, you should send it to me or another member here who can take it apart and experiment with the optics and document the insides with some good pictures.

I would be interested, but I don't want to seem biased in my suggestion that you get a new one! :P Otka, Cyberreality, zacherynuk, or bobv5 would all be people that might be able to get some use out of a dead headplay.
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

Hi here are details about soldering and schema of HP cables. Have soldered my HP (under operating microscope, of course) for my experienced eye microsurgeon it was very difficult!
I think only serviceman from handy service can you help.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252501" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fionn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Fionn »

Hi Hornet,
I actually used the pinouts provided on that thread when soldering the cable on my set but I only made matters worse.
Before I removed the connector the goggles worked fine but wouldnt respond to button presses on the cable / remote, now I have no picture.
I'll give it one more go and see how I get on. If I give up I would certainly send them to PalmerTech rather than binning them.
I did open the goggles yesterday though and there's not a lot to see.
The optical path is as follows: Protective outer lens -> convex lens that can be moved in and out with the adjusters -> 45 degree mirror that moves with the side to side adjustment - > secondary mirror that reflects back through the 45 degree one and into one side of the module.
Does anyone have details on the module they use or a datasheet perhaps?
I would still like to look into an alternative to the liberator.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”