Nintendo 3DS 3 to 8 hours of play time per charge

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Nintendo 3DS 3 to 8 hours of play time per charge

Post by Silversurfer »

By Ross Miller posted Jan 8th 2011 12:28AM

Remember those all-night Mario Kart DS and Advance Wars marathons? Looking to recreate the magic with the 3DS? Bring a wall charger. Nintendo's just unveiled its best-case scenario figures for the 3DS' battery life, and compared with its predecessors, it ain't pretty. The official numbers are three to five hours playing per game, or five to eight if playing an older DS title (and up to three hours 30 minutes to fully recharge). So... three to eight hours under the most ideal circumstances. Let's look at the family album: the DS is 10 to 14 hours, DS Lite 15 to 19 hours, DSi 9 to 14 hours, and DSi XL 13 to 17 hours (all figures also from Nintendo). Can't say we're entirely surprised; Haus of Mario Chief Satoru Iwata's own words back in October were "it is inevitable that Nintendo 3DS will be a device which requires more frequent recharging than Nintendo DS." Think of it as an extension of the warning label. You can never be too careful, you know.
Joystiq
Nintendo JP

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/08/nint ... er-charge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Nintendo 3DS 3 to 8 hours of play time per charge

Post by cybereality »

No surprises here. Can't expect to add a 3D screen and console quality graphics, keep it the same size, and still use the same amount of power. Gotta pay to play.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

A friend of mine bought two nds-lite for his kids. They always game on these nearby a walloutlet and on longer journeys they use car-adapters. So the 3ds shouldn't be limited in a different fashion...
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

3d eats up lot of power - whenever I take my Fuji3d on shoots I now take 2 extra batteries
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

To be honest, I don't think this is too bad.
I remember having an ATARI LYNX ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Lynx ) and it had a quoted batter life of 4-5 hours on 6AA batteries and my experience as a kid was closer to 2-3 hours. I still had many hours of fun with this and was willing to give up the extra play time and spend money all the time on batteries so that I could have a much superior system to the competition (Lynx had colour display and there were even 3D games mad possible hy a math co-processor, this is in comparison to B&W nintendo gameboy which had nothing but side scrollers with 8*8 pixel sprites).
Does anyone know if the 3DS will have removable battery? It would be a real shame if they didn't.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”