Sony single lens 3-D Cyber-shot @ CES 2011

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Sony single lens 3-D Cyber-shot @ CES 2011

Post by Silversurfer »

By Ben Bowers posted Jan 5th 2011 11:23PM

Sony has announced the DSC-TX100V, DSC-TX10, DSC-HX7V, DSC-WX10 and DSC-WX9 16.2-megapixel Cyber-shot cameras here in Las Vegas, which are the world's first compacts to include a 3D still capture feature using just one lens and imager. This is made possible via a special shooting mode that takes two consecutive shots in different focus positions that are then combined to produce a 3D effect. All also feature so-called Dual Rec technology borrowed from the Handycam line that enables users to capture three megapixel stills while recording video.

Outside of what they have in common, several of the models have a few noteworthy details. The DSC-WX10 is the only digital compact to support full 1920 x 1080/60p video capture. Speaking of firsts, the DSC-TX100V is the first Cyber-shot to to feature a 3.5-inch OLED touch screen. Less revolutionary (but still drool-worthy) is the DSC-HX7V's ability to record the location and direction of a particular photos thanks to a built-in GPS and compass, while the DSC-TX10 is ruggedized to be waterproof, dustproof, shockproof and freeze-proof. All of these models will be available this March, and cost between $220 and $380. For more details be sure to check out the full PR after the jump.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/sony ... -worlds-f/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Sony single lens 3-D Cyber-shot @ CES 2011

Post by Silversurfer »

world's first compacts to include a 3D still capture feature using just one lens and imager. This is made possible via a special shooting mode that takes two consecutive shots in different focus positions that are then combined to produce a 3D effect.
Neil I take it you are in Vegas for CES 2011, any chance you could swing by Sony's booth and check this cyber shot 3-D camera out?cheers
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

How can it be 3d when it shoots from one point???
Is this related maybe to conversions of the fly, like: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12390" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I know it's sony but i'm very skeptic.... :shock:

edit:
This is made possible via a special shooting mode that takes two consecutive shots in different focus positions that are then combined to produce a 3D effect. All also feature so-called Dual Rec technology borrowed from the Handycam line that enables users to capture three megapixel stills while recording video.
Sounds like a "cha-cha" method which is hardly feasible for a new product. Plz tell me i'm wrong!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Now this, this is a bad joke. Calling a camera with a single lens 3D?!?!?!?!? No way that is going to work. What do you have to do? Take one picture and then move it to the side and take another? I could do that right now with my 2D Canon Powershot. Whats the point of this?
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:Now this, this is a bad joke. Calling a camera with a single lens 3D?!?!?!?!? No way that is going to work. What do you have to do? Take one picture and then move it to the side and take another? I could do that right now with my 2D Canon Powershot. Whats the point of this?
It probably has the amazing ability to stitch the two images into one side-by-side. Ho-hum... I think I'll move along now.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”