Does this change the game?!?!? (Toshiba Glassesless 3D)

Own a 3D HDTV? Trying to learn about the latest and greatest? Post here!
GoldChain
Two Eyed Hopeful

Does this change the game?!?!? (Toshiba Glassesless 3D)

Post by GoldChain »

http://gizmodo.com/5725149/toshibas-gla ... inch-sizes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps it's a bad move, but I can see myself picking up the DLP set with glasses anyway......... you know when these come out later this year they'll be EXPENSIVE! If nothing else because they know that folks that are turned off by glasses are automatically potential customers........

We'll see how it shapes up........

GC
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: Does this change the game?!?!? (Toshiba Glassesless 3D)

Post by tritosine5G »

lol .

No.
http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/columns/201 ... s-rant.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Autostereo for portable devices will be a reality this year. Autostereo in the living room is many years away. The current technology is too limited to really compete with glasses-based solutions (outside of closely controlled situations like a small portable device for a single user). Even then, you are sacrificing quality to get rid of the glasses. Of course autostereo is the ultimate future, but there is no reason to throw away the glasses just yet. We still have a ways to go.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:Autostereo for portable devices will be a reality this year. Autostereo in the living room is many years away. The current technology is too limited to really compete with glasses-based solutions (outside of closely controlled situations like a small portable device for a single user). Even then, you are sacrificing quality to get rid of the glasses. Of course autostereo is the ultimate future, but there is no reason to throw away the glasses just yet. We still have a ways to go.
I'm not sure.
You might have some that have a set number of positions you can vie them from. I just don't know that it would be a terribly good user experience since moving your head left or right a couple of centimeters will give mad ghosting and/or inverted stereo.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well the idea is that its a handheld device, so it it much easier to get the alignment correct. I mean, when people use their phone they almost always hold it in the same position (right in front of them). So I think a 2-view autostereo screen could work. Especially with something like the Nintendo 3DS. The issues are not solved, but I think it will be OK. Regardless, the devices are being shown at CES and will arrive later this year. The market will decide.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:Well the idea is that its a handheld device
I think the Toshiba TVs are meant for living room displays, not portable ones. Never heard of someone with a 40 or 50 inch TV on the train.
This is what I was referring to - for these, you will probably have a number (maybe 3 or 5) of positions where you can get acceptable 3d viewing. I don't see wide adoption of these though and am yet to be convinced that this will be viable any time soon. Fingers crossed I'm wrong and we have full holographic displays being produced before the end of the year though. :lol:
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well, those Toshiba TVs aren't even targeted at consumer market. I'm sure they will be priced at many tens of thousands of dollars. And I agree, they are not a mainstream product yet. But it could be used in things like advertising, which would expose more people to 3D and maybe convince them to buy the affordable auto-stereo portable devices or even a glasses-based TV.

Return to “3D HDTVs”