New member, build questions (3-D DLP)

driver7408
One Eyed Hopeful

New member, build questions (3-D DLP)

Post by driver7408 »

I really like this forum; I have found a TON more info in here over the years than anywhere else. You guys are very knowledgeable, and have taught me a lot. I have been eagerly waiting for quite some time to take the plunge and go 3-D. After a bit of homework, I've developed a budget, and decided on what I want to do.

Currently I have an E8500 running @ 4.2 with an 8800 ultra.

I'm looking at upgrading to a GTX 470, and going with a 2011 Mits 60" DLP 738 series. I want to run 1080 at 60 Hz, so I'm assuming that the Nvidia 3D bundle would be the best for this. I plan to use the computer dedicated strictly for racing sims (mainly iracing, rfactor and GTR2) and eventually with a Simxperience stage IV motion simulator, with 5.1 surround and seat mounted LFE's. I'm trying to build something for racing that will be as immersive as humanly possible. I was originally going to run 3 monitors with no 3-D, but I think a single 60" with trackir in 3-D would be better.

Does this 3-D setup seem to be a good way to go? as it appears to be the most cost-effective I have found for the monitor size. Any further recommendations, or concerns I should be aware of with this DLP setup? Does trackir work well with 3-D?

Also, does anyone else race in 3-D? How well does the 3-D seem to work with the different racing games? Particularly iracing and rfactor?
Thanks,

Brian
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: New member, build questions (3-D DLP)

Post by cybereality »

Cool man, welcome to the forum.

I had a similar machine (that has since been upgraded). Originally an E8400 w/ 8800 GTS, but now I am running GTX 470. The 470 is great for many games, but still feels underpowered in high-end stuff like Metro 2033 or Crysis. I wasn't really looking to spend more than $300 on a GPU though, so I can live with having to tone down the settings on a couple of games. Most games, though, are able to run at max settings even in 3D. Especially with those older sims, you will have no problems. The Nvidia kit is a good solution, and I find it the easiest to work with. Just make sure the exact model number you are getting is listed on their support page:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision- ... ments.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are Nazi's about supporting hardware and if its not on the list then it probably won't work. However you will still be able to use the iz3D or DDD drivers and get the same quality 3D image. However this won't work with the Nvidia glasses, so you would need to get other generic DLP glasses for that purpose. The 60" Mitsubishi is a nice system from everything I've heard. I was even in the store looking at it today and it looked great. Unfortunately the 3D glasses were broken, so I didn't get to see the 3D, but the 2D quality looked nice. The price is also very reasonable. I would certainly take that over triple-head 2D monitors.

Never tried the TrackIR, but I imagine it would be really cool with 3D. However the Nvidia glasses work using an IR emitter, so this will likely interfere with the head-tracking. However, you should be able to use DLP-Link glasses without a problem on that TV. I do have the VR920 headset, and I have played rFactor with it using headtracking in stereo 3d. Its pretty cool. It was actually the first thing I tried when I got the headset and it was impressive. Even with the low FOV of the HMD, it still almost felt like I was in the driver's seat. The 3D was great by itself, but it was the headtracking that really took it to the next level. If you add a steering wheel and a seat into the mix you would have a pretty immersive setup right there. Personally, I am a big first-person-shooter fan, don't play too many sims. But if I did, I would probably be looking into something like you are building.
driver7408
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by driver7408 »

Thanks cyber. Much of the advice I'm going from are from your previous posts. I think the 470 will run most of the current racing sim stuff just fine, as my 8800 in 2D does it without a hitch. I know how Nvidia is about their drivers, trust me on that one. I do know what works, and I think I could set this up and actually rely on it without worrying about updates or changes for awhile. Its been tried and proven for the most part, so I dont think support will be much of an issue until I get into newer software. I can always buy the DLP sync glasses and fall back on HDMI 1.4 and iz3d if the case need be.

I am concerned with the track ir, not so much because of the receiving range of the 3D emitter, but more of what it will do if I'm racing in a motion simulator that is constantly jolting my head around (this is what I'm looking at getting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vuOiSv2Tec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). When I race, I only use trackir for yaw axis viewing, under rather subtle head movements, so I don't predict it to be much of a problem. I'm surprised you haven't tried it yet; its a very reliable and accurate setup, especially in a 3D environment where you rely on strong visual cues to orient yourself.

I've always liked the VR stuff; the Army uses a VR setup in one of our flying simulators, and despite the poor graphics, I really enjoyed it. I wish it would have gone further.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

driver7408 wrote:I'm surprised you haven't tried it yet; its a very reliable and accurate setup, especially in a 3D environment where you rely on strong visual cues to orient yourself.
Well I have known about the TrackIR since it first was released, and did at one point want to get one. However, I realized that it seems mostly geared toward simulation titles, and I don't play those. The only games supported that I own are Dirt/Dirt2 and GRID. And they are not even my favorite games. Now if it was supported on popular FPS games like Crysis, then maybe we would be talking. I even thought about writing a wrapper myself and modding my favorite games. However NaturalPoint does not supply a free SDK to hobby developers, you have to be a major commercial studio and license the technology. Just that alone made me not want to support their product.
driver7408
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by driver7408 »

I don't know if you have ever heard of freetrack (http://www.free-track.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), Its a free alternative to trackir. I built a tracker unit for my friend with about $20 worth of parts. I actually prefer it to trackir, because it is much more adjustable, although a bit more complex. I can see your point of view though as to not really needing it for FPS applications.

I had an additional concern:

Do you think that 1 GTX 470 will run this DLP in 3D ok, or would I be better off trying to use a pair of GTX 460's in an SLI configuration? I am trying to keep things simple, but adequate.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

I have never used TrackIR, but I was wondering if there could be a risk a interference between the shutter glasses IR signal and the TrackIR Infrared source and camera.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”