Stereoblindness

This website is for our members. Do you have some design ideas? Are there features you would like to see? What additions would drive this site forward? POST YOUR IDEAS HERE!
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Stereoblindness

Post by yuriythebest »

If a previously active forum member suddenly contracts stereoblindess he should be banned
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Stereoblindness

Post by cybereality »

Its really not funny to make fun of people with disabilities.

On a related note, earlier today while I was walking home I decided to to close one eye and experience what it would be like to be stereoblind. I managed to walk around the street for about 5 minutes with one eye closed the whole time. It was a little weird to do it, and everything felt like it was right on top of me (especially turning cars as I was crossing the street). However it was manageable. When I opened my eyes I realized the world did not look so much more 3D. I mean, it was 3D for sure. But it didn't really add a whole lot of depth. In fact, I think I can get more 3D effects in video games than I can in real-life. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. Makes me interested in maybe building a real-life hyper-stereo headset. Meaning an HMD with dual video cameras attached. However, instead of setting the camera at 65mm normal stereo-base, do something crazy like 150mm. Maybe mount the cameras on a slide-bar controlled by some servos. Real-time depth adjustment for real-life!!!!!! LOL!!!!!
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

cybereality wrote:Its really not funny to make fun of people with disabilities.
AHAH! gotcha! **adds to list**
In fact, I think I can get more 3D effects in video games than I can in real-life.
definitely. Our stereobase allows for " just enough" 3d to survive in the wild as cavemen. Usually games provide much more 3d that we can naturally see, and I think in the same way that when we play a racing game or drive a car really fast in real life we receive a natural high from the speed I think we also receive a natural high from seeing "enhanced" 3d

Makes me interested in maybe building a real-life hyper-stereo headset. Meaning an HMD with dual video cameras attached. However, instead of setting the camera at 65mm normal stereo-base, do something crazy like 150mm.
I remember posting an image I made of that concept on MTBS but that was a while back. Ιndeed t'would be awesome, however you'd still be almost blind I think since the human eyes have a combined estimated resolution of 576 megapixels
http://news.deviantart.com/article/27174/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so while it would look nice on a 3d screen, if you were to actually see nothing but, say, 1280*720, or even hell, full HD per eye it would appear grotesquely blurry/stretched. However, I'm sure in a few decades this won't be a problem.

EDIT: Then again, since most HMD's do not have a full FOV and are like "viewing something out of a helmet with a small slit or as if a large tv was a few meters away" it could be okay-ish but I wouldn't feel safe walking down the street in that sort of contraption

EDIT2: Then again, stalk eyed flies compete for mates by measuring the spread of their " eye rods" (the long stick thingies with their eyes on the end)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalk-eyed_fly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There should be similar competitions where 2 or more people wearing HMD's with webcams set to a large stereobase would get into matches, sort of like mooses. that would be very cool.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Well obviously current-gen HMDs are nowhere close to the resolution or FOV of the human eye. However for the purpose of experiencing depth, I think even the VR920 at 640x480 would be adequate. It is more just an experiment to see how it would feel, rather than anything I would be interested in using on a regular basis. Sorta like what this guy did:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuC1st-cA9M[/youtube]
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

haha that is awesome. I can only imagine this in "drunk mode"
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

In real life we get a lot of more depth cues than on a monitor screen. Motion parallax is a strong depth cues in real life that you can only have with eye/head tracking on a PC. As it's said on Wikipedia some birds that lack binocular vision bob their head to achieve motion parallax to get a perception of depth.

The relative size and familiar size depth cues are also quite often badly reproduced on PCs since drivers don't generally allow setting precise life-like stereo parameters in 3D games or videos. Accomodation can't be reproduced either nor peripheral vision and realistic blurring. So there are a lot of depth cues that are lost in stereoscopic imaging.

The calculations on DevianArt can be discussed too. They consider the power of separation of the eye for lines but visual acuity does in fact correspond to the power of separation for points, which is a lot less precise. They say that this acuity for lines is equivalent to a pixel size of 0.3 arc-minutes but the visual acuity for a normal person is in fact of only 1 arc-minute. They also ignore that fact that this acuity is only that precise for a visual field of 40°, at greater angles we are not able to distinguish symbols but only colors. So that 576 megapixels resolution is quite a stretch from reality.

Return to “MTBS Website Ideas”