Xboox 360 OR playstation 3(PS3)

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Xboox 360 OR playstation 3(PS3)

Post by ancjob »

Guys!
whether it's Xbox 360 or PS3 i am so confused which one to get ?
i do not know if other brands exist but they are the most talked about

my console 'd have the following
1)All modern games be playable in high quality settings - no exceptions allowed
2)it 'd have 3D capability [field sequential ONLY] guaranteed
3)it'd have VGA output with always powered-on USB port [support 800x600@60Hz VGA out] , composite output , component output desired
4)preferable with region-free DVD drive / blu-ray drive
5)it 'd have hard drive
6)be light enough to carry and extreme portable
7)computer connectible to transfer files..

so guys suggest me the brand that conforms to above...
only gaming consoles are xbox 360 , sony PS3

Currently i have crappy non 3d laptop and upgrading to 3D 'd incur cost as much (or more) as buying the gaming console..

i think console gaming is more exciting than PC gaming..

please suggest!
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: Xboox 360 OR playstation 3(PS3)

Post by tritosine5G »

you are part of the problem
Sorry . :lol:
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

tritosine wrote:

you are part of the problem
Sorry . :lol:
i used to play a lot of quake 3 arena [ 15 hrs minimum]..
but now what to add 3d gaming with those crysis etc...
sadly the issue with my laptops...

top gaming laptop 'd cost around US$2.5k... so looking for chaeper options...
if these consoles can do field sequential 3D in high settings (capable of playing the most demanding game on earth) then rest my HMDs 'd do for monitor connectivity.....

let the headplay be put to better usage..than watching the 'unwatchable(s)'... :lol:

and let me become gaming freak...to whom this forum is meant.. :mrgreen:
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

I think you have a misconception, consoles are no PC replacements by any means. Its for guys who are not looking for tweaking stuff, just plug in a TV and sit back during the loading screen. You can't tweak, modify the games at all nor it going to support the 3d hardware you re after imho .

Maybe you can fish for second hand gaming laptops , I think the people who buy these buy the latest ones all the time and sell the old at huge loss.

BTW the perfomance you're after (for 3d) is not easy for a laptop (heat, cpu limit at 720p), so, good luck. Sounds like mission impossible.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobili ... 073.0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

285m SLI might do it . That kinda perfomance worths like 160 usd if you are building a desktop pc.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

tritosine wrote:I think you have a misconception, consoles are no PC replacements by any means. Its for guys who are not looking for tweaking stuff, just plug in a TV and sit back during the loading screen. You can't tweak, modify the games at all nor it going to support the 3d hardware you re after imho .

Maybe you can fish for second hand gaming laptops , I think the people who buy these buy the latest ones all the time and sell the old at huge loss.

BTW the perfomance you're after (for 3d) is not easy for a laptop (heat, cpu limit at 720p), so, good luck. Sounds like mission impossible.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobili ... 073.0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

285m SLI might do it . That kinda perfomance worths like 160 usd if you are building a desktop pc.
got crysis but when tried to play it 'd not install even saying video card unsupported...i do not have any video card in the laptop [integrated graphics]...

damm - got two laptops and both are worthless for gaming...
i wish i knew what to look for while buying a laptop....that's 3yr ago

pal what about PS3 - with 3D support... ?
if yes then does it do - field sequential 3D [for headplay] ?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Well if you want a console for 3D support then, no question, go with the PS3. Sony has a serious mission to get 3D on that system, with games like GT5, Killzone3, etc. and it supports 3D Blu-Ray. However it does not support field-sequential. Barely anything does at this point. The PS3 supports HDMI 1.4a exclusively (aside from a couple of games with native support for other formats, ie Avatar). You will need a device that can support this standard (ie the Carl Ziess Cinemizer OLED if it ever comes out).

However, even then, I am not sure all you criteria are met. For example "All modern games be playable in high quality settings - no exceptions allowed"? Only that is going to happen is on a high-end PC system. Consoles are notorious for sacrificing quality, running at sub-720P resolutions, sub-60fps frame-rates, even in 2D. So in 3D you are lucky to get a standard-def image running at 30fps (seriously). Some simple casual games might be able to run at 1080P60 3D, but anything remotely taxing on the system is going to suffer. Both consoles have powered USB support (for hard-drives, etc.) and support output via VGA cables or legacy cables (RCA). I don't think the Xbox or PS3 support region-free movies. Even the PC does not support this without special software. "Light enough to carry and extreme portable"? dude, have you ever seen on of these consoles? They are *not* ultra-portable in the least. Even if you wanted to put on in your backpack (which I guess is technically possible if not a bit uncomfortable) how are you going to power it? You carry a generator around with you? Have $10k to have Ben Heck make you are custom one-off?

Really, probably the only thing that is going to fulfill most of your requirements is a gaming laptop. I don't think the consoles are really going to do it. But seeing as high-end laptops can cost $1,500+, I can see why a console would be more attractive. However what you are looking for does not exist.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Well if you want a console for 3D support then, no question, go with the PS3. Sony has a serious mission to get 3D on that system, with games like GT5, Killzone3, etc. and it supports 3D Blu-Ray. However it does not support field-sequential. Barely anything does at this point. The PS3 supports HDMI 1.4a exclusively (aside from a couple of games with native support for other formats, ie Avatar). You will need a device that can support this standard (ie the Carl Ziess Cinemizer OLED if it ever comes out).

However, even then, I am not sure all you criteria are met. For example "All modern games be playable in high quality settings - no exceptions allowed"? Only that is going to happen is on a high-end PC system. Consoles are notorious for sacrificing quality, running at sub-720P resolutions, sub-60fps frame-rates, even in 2D. So in 3D you are lucky to get a standard-def image running at 30fps (seriously). Some simple casual games might be able to run at 1080P60 3D, but anything remotely taxing on the system is going to suffer. Both consoles have powered USB support (for hard-drives, etc.) and support output via VGA cables or legacy cables (RCA). I don't think the Xbox or PS3 support region-free movies. Even the PC does not support this without special software. "Light enough to carry and extreme portable"? dude, have you ever seen on of these consoles? They are *not* ultra-portable in the least. Even if you wanted to put on in your backpack (which I guess is technically possible if not a bit uncomfortable) how are you going to power it? You carry a generator around with you? Have $10k to have Ben Heck make you are custom one-off?

Really, probably the only thing that is going to fulfill most of your requirements is a gaming laptop. I don't think the consoles are really going to do it. But seeing as high-end laptops can cost $1,500+, I can see why a console would be more attractive. However what you are looking for does not exist.
pal - you understood my compulsion
i know that gaming laptop is the only out of this mess
how abt this [ASUS G60VX C2D 2.13GHz 1GB GTX 260M 16" GAMING LAPTOP]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-G60VX-C2D-2-13 ... 41558d5f40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it's equipped with this card : http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeF ... 559.0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

can it really do hardcore 3d gaming i wonder but the price is ok...?
vrekks
Cross Eyed!

Post by vrekks »

I would not buy a gaming laptop. Too much heat, can't upgrade and the gpu is on the main wafer. I would either get a console and take the hit on your graphics or get a desktop (even with a lan party case) and take the hit on portability.
"Who has ever torn himself from the claw that encloses you when you drop a seed in a TV parlor? It grows you any shape it wishes! It is an environment as real as the world. It becomes and is the truth. Books can be beaten down with reason. But with all my knowledge and scepticism, I have never been able to argue with a one-hundred-piece symphony orchestra, full colour, three dimensions, and I being in and part of those incredible parlors."
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

vrekks wrote:I would not buy a gaming laptop. Too much heat, can't upgrade and the gpu is on the main wafer. I would either get a console and take the hit on your graphics or get a desktop (even with a lan party case) and take the hit on portability.
you are right pal !
laptops cannot be upgraded especially the GPU...
i have a desktop in intel p4 3Ghz but the space i do not have else added a nvidia card to that..
and also it's an electricity guzzler - consumes a lot of power...poor desktop is retired for the time being..
and my 17' laptop running 24x7...saving on utility bill..at least.. :D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

That laptop actually doesn't look that bad for the price. You would still probably have to run the games on low/medium settings in order to get good performance in 3D, but it should be capable. Still not exactly sure what it is you are trying to accomplish here. I mean, do you plan on going portable with this setup or are you just using it around the house?
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

260m =/= gtx265.

Sounds its worse than 9800GTX, cause 9800GTX = 285M

I have 2x 9800GTX and sometimes it struggles. Not 1, two.

This laptop+hmd is way too futuristic , we re nowhere from that.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

tritosine wrote:260m =/= gtx265.

Sounds its worse than 9800GTX, cause 9800GTX = 285M

I have 2x 9800GTX and sometimes it struggles. Not 1, two.

This laptop+hmd is way too futuristic , we re nowhere from that.
forget it pal - q4 did not work so i got q3 arena working on my laptop...
this gaming laptop stuff is way too complicated and expensive...need sometime to research...
thank you guys for your help..
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:That laptop actually doesn't look that bad for the price. You would still probably have to run the games on low/medium settings in order to get good performance in 3D, but it should be capable. Still not exactly sure what it is you are trying to accomplish here. I mean, do you plan on going portable with this setup or are you just using it around the house?
oh - i forgot to respond to you... sorry for that
well - having you laptop for a long time - not gonna go back to legacy desktop with their attendant issues like hard drives not booting , power guzzling and so much space being occupied...and to top it all not portable either - hence the laptop

low power consumption almost flawless unless one thrashes it big time..laptop is the best only sacrificing on expandability...

so if ever it's about gaming - i will go for gaming laptop....and a good one at that...
currently playing quake 3 arena and it rocks...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

ancjob wrote: currently playing quake 3 arena and it rocks...
Yeah. I still have a lot of fun with Unreal Tournament 2004 for some reason.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:
ancjob wrote: currently playing quake 3 arena and it rocks...
Yeah. I still have a lot of fun with Unreal Tournament 2004 for some reason.
well not too sure i can play with integrated graphics card but quake 3 does great!

Return to “3D Console Gaming”