[idea] Virtual reality room with cameras & beamers

mystd
One Eyed Hopeful

[idea] Virtual reality room with cameras & beamers

Post by mystd »

I've thought about this for some time. If projecors were used to completely fill the room (with some exceptions where the beamers & cameras are) and the cameras would capture the movement. If a person in the room had 3D glasses on would it be possible to interact with virtual objects? Like kicking a ball or evading it. Kinda like the startrek holo deck ^-^
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: [idea] Virtual reality room with cameras & beamers

Post by Likay »

Yeah. The holodeck of Enterprise... :P
To work somewhat properly a headtracking needs to be used that keeps track of movement, position, rotation etc. But then actually a decent hmd with similar headtracking wouldn't be too far off.
Just projecting the images on the walls, ceilings and floor with (just for example) circular polarized light is of no use if you move around. It'll break the stereoimage since stereoscopy as is today do not allow rotation (stereopsis is lost). With an advanced headtracking it's another story though! :P
Capturing movement with cameras in a 3d-space has existed quite some time and is implemented in the new xbox360.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
mystd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mystd »

Ahh ok so it dosn't work when you move around. Problem with the 360 is it's just moving in front of the monitor. I imagined it more like there are 4 cameras from different angeles to process movement in the room. Problem with the current hmds is they only simulate screens. Perhaps a combination of iris projector & webcams will make the right holodeck feeling ^-^
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yes, this has been done before. Its called C.A.V.E.:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnGRHWzGifU[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnq-8iaOcXk[/youtube]

And probably its the most immersive experience you can get for any amount of money. I would love to have one of those in my house but I have neither the space nor the money for a setup like that. However with the price of projectors these days, building a CAVE is as affordable as it has ever been. And its the closest thing we have to the Holodeck or Danger Room thats available today.
mystd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mystd »

Wow neat but they used active displays that would be a bit too expensive. They also use a controller but the holodeck feeling would only be there if cameras would capture the body movement perhaps with some white cloth and clored dots on key parts of the body, it could be accomplished well.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

you need a projector with laser light engine and a curved screen, that'd be pretty good with shutters.
However with the price of projectors these days,
-only the presentation type DLP's are low priced -> huge polarization loss, with sub 1000 lumen

-xga RGB LED still goes for 1000 eur -> huge polarization loss, sub 1000 lumen

-laser pj -> minor polarization loss, works well with curved screen, lumen rating not important (curved screen , huge hotspot) UNOBTANIUM

- high transmittance, micromechanical shutter -> UNOBTANIUM

this stuff is nothing close.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Lumen ratings do not matter all that much in perfect darkness, which is what you can have in a CAVE.

Read up on home theater grade projectors from, say, 2005. $2000+ projectors were putting out 500 lumens, and people were quite happy as long as the environment is controlled.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Let's be straight about this, polarization loss+ shuttering is brutal.

500 is cool for HT,
but you have 15% of that left after shutterglasses!

well LEDs are coming up too, I have a design in mind with two sets of RGB powerleds, LEDs would be 600 USD alone, and Im consulting about polarization recycling as well.
http://nl.mouser.com/images/luminusdevi ... bt-120.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <- x2

I could convert my two H5360's into one huge hushbox in time parallel brilliantcolor 2d mode with LED's instead . But when you guys goin to have tech, (or a techy like me :lol: ) like that.

This would be quite bright whether you retain polarization or not.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

I see this is all rear projection... Well...

it 'd be great if they'd sell rear projection material and 120hz short throw stuff too.

well, now I don know if I rather want this or a curved silverscreen.

I think the latter
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

Head tracking wouldn't be necessary(and shouldn't be used at all) in a CAVE, since when you turn your head to the right, you literally see what's on your right. in fact, the view should be locked in the four directions like in the Map viewer video, only the weapon is moving.

the real issue is mapping movement. the "step forward to move forward" system is really clumsy, so not really good for FPS gaming.

camera tracking is only good if your virtual environment is only as big as the room(like HoloDeck)

haha, i've got it! a giant trackball! then we could walk/run in any direction and still stay in the center. :D that's REAL immersion for you.
"This is great!"
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

AntiCatalyst wrote: haha, i've got it! a giant trackball! then we could walk/run in any direction and still stay in the center. :D that's REAL immersion for you.
They've got that too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duqMRfpcGFw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although something like this looks a lot more functional:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQw1tsgrJOs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

wow, that's exactly like i imagined it :D i wonder how they project the image though, since it cant be from inside the ball.

the treadmill thingy seems to work great, too bad you can only make those things infinite in one direction.

but, imagine actually running with a motion-sensitive crowbar down a zombie-infested corridor in HL3. Or better yet, with a high-def HMD coupled with Kinect body tracking, so looking down at your arms and legs,all you'd see is an orange HEV suit
:woot
"This is great!"
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

AntiCatalyst wrote: but, imagine actually running with a motion-sensitive crowbar down a zombie-infested corridor in HL3. Or better yet, with a high-def HMD coupled with Kinect body tracking, so looking down at your arms and legs,all you'd see is an orange HEV suit
:woot
They have that too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRXypOnizyo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

haha!

seems like yuriythebeast's been playing with his new 3d camera :>
honestly though, except for the hand and the shaky handheld camera, it could just as easily have been a scene from the jungles in crysis. tells you a little something about todays PC graphics, doesn't it? :D

(well that just means that if you were to film it with your cellphone and pull the contrast+color level up, you COULD mistake it for the real thing. But my point is that we're not TOO far from actual photorealism.)
"This is great!"

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”