Viewsonic PJD6531w and Directv

Share your experiences and learn about big-screen 3D gaming.
NormByers
One Eyed Hopeful

Viewsonic PJD6531w and Directv

Post by NormByers »

Has anyone attempted to use a Viewsonic PJD6531w with Directv's 3D content and HR21 or HR24 DVR Receivers? Is it even remotely possible? I can't even find much detail about what Directv's 3D format is beyond requiring HDMI 1.4 (at least requiring an update of the PJD6531w firmware to 1.47 that I've not yet figured out either due to USB problems...).

I do see that Directv is compatible with a bunch of Panasonic products, but no details on the format.

- 3d novice...
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Viewsonic PJD6531w and Directv

Post by cybereality »

I believe Directv broadcasts 3D in side-by-side mode. This method is supported by most newer 3D HDTVs (Panasonic, etc.) and has nothing to do with HDMI 1.4 standard needed for PS3 or 3D Blu-Ray. However the Viewsonic PJD6531w only works in 3D with a page-flipped input (like Nvidia 3D Vision) and not with side-by-side mode. However if you have an HTPC with a video capture card, you may be able to hack something together. There is a thread over at AVS discussing this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1254052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NormByers
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NormByers »

Thanks. Another stupid purchase on my part...
Fortunately I do have a spare computer with appropriate specs, needing minor updates.
NormByers
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NormByers »

Has anyone come out with a format converter similar to the Mitsubishi 3DA-1, but with the ability to take checkerboard, side by side, or page flipping input and convert to any of those formats? Would have made 3D life so much easier....
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hmm, I don't know of any commercial adapters available today that will do what you want. I mean, there are some adapters but they are for different formats. Like theres the Tru3D adapter for Samsung DLP TVs. And of course the Mitsu 3DA-1. Then there is also the Optoma 3D-XL ( http://www.optomaeurope.com/projectorde ... t&PC=3D-XL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), which converts HDMI 1.4 and side-by-side broadcast to 720P 120Hz format for Optoma 3D DLP projectors. So this does basically what you want, but it remains to be seen if it will work with brands besides Optoma. I know, for example, the 3DA-1 only works with Mitsubishi devices. So Optoma may have gone down the same road (although there are work-around to this using the HDMI Detective and similar products). The 3D-XL comes out in January, so I guess you can wait and see if anyone gets this to work with other projectors.
NormByers
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NormByers »

Thanks much for info on the 3D-XL. I see it supports side by side, frame pack, and over under under. As I understand the PJD6531w is frame sequential (is this the same as page flipping?). But whats not detailed is are these formats input and output? They claim to support the playstation, but I thought that was checkerboard output? So, as usual in all this 3d stuff I'm still confused. Will likely have to wait the 3D-XL to come out to get all the answers.

Wish I could find a list showing all the formats accepted by various projectors, tvs etc, and ouput by all all the sources: BD, game consoles, video cards, and cable/sat systems...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yes, frame-sequential is the same as page-flipping. This is the format your projector should accept (in this case input and output are the same). PS3 outputs a HDMI 1.4a frame-packed signal and modern 2010 model 3DTVs will accept the frame-packed signal and output at 720P 120Hz page-flipped. Checkerboard is only supported on legacy "3D ready" tvs like the Mitsubishi DLPs and is not supported on PS3 3D games or most 3D Blu-Ray players. At the moment everything is moving toward the HDMI 1.4a frame-packed 3D standard. However this is not possible on cable/satellite broadcasts, so they are using either side-by-side or over-under in order to fit within the normal 1080P 2D bandwidth. For this reason most newer 2010 3DTVs also support these "frame compatible" formats like side-by-side. Unfortunately these older "3d ready" projectors do not support these formats. I don't believe there are yet any projectors (at all, for any price) that fully support the new 3d standard. However I imagine whatever projectors they unveil at CES will have support.

Return to “3D Projectors”