This time, a REAL 3D ViewMaster!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

This time, a REAL 3D ViewMaster!

Post by PalmerTech »

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Hasbro-un ... 79378.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like they will be putting out some augmented reality applications! But even better, you could use these optics with pretty much any screen in that size range (I am hoping a 4.3" screen will work with some tweaking!). It would make for a very cheap, basic 3D viewer, and maybe it could be adapter for an HMD, depending on how good those optics are. They look pretty large, which is a good start. REALLY hoping for 40+ FOV.

Thoughts?

(News topic here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 85&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: This time, a REAL 3D ViewMaster!

Post by Fredz »

There are really not much details about this device, from the photo I'd say it will only offer an half resolution image for each eye by displaying cross-view content in frame compatible format thanks to some mirrors like in a stereoscope.

The resolution is going to be quite low with the iPhone 3GS (240x320) and in the same league than entry-level HMDs for the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch (480x640). I wonder if they've found a solution to rotate the images with optics to give a 4:3 image instead of a 3:4 one.

Or maybe they'll use prisms to artificially double the horizontal size in order to obtain a 4:3 (or 16:9) image for each eye. It would be quite logical since this sort of doubling is commonly used in broadcasting. It would then offer a 4:3 or 16:9 3D frame compatible image with 320 lines (3GS) or 640 lines (4/Touch).

I also think they've made a compromise between the apparent size of the pixel and the FOV, but considering the resolution is at most 640x480, I don't see how they could offer a better FOV than 32° which seem to be the standard for 640x480 displays.

If they make the FOV bigger, the pixels will look larger, which is quite bad for immersion. If they've stretched the horizontal resolution the FOV may be a little bit bigger, with quite a nice pixel size in the vertical range but not so in the horizontal one.

I think this device will offer a 360-degree gaming experience only on the iPhone 4 and the iPod Touch thanks to their 3-axis gyroscope, but the iPhone 3GS won't since it's only equipped with a compass and an accelerometer.

To me it's not going to be something very impressive compared to HMDs, the iPhones are quite heavy and from the design of this device I guess the user will need to maintain it in position with one of its hands or even both.

I wonder how they'll make people interact with it since the touch screen won't be accessible. Maybe they will make the two volume buttons accessible on the top of the device for basic actions (shooting, jumping, etc.). In this case I think one would need to handle it with the two hands, like a camera.

Still a quite interesting device at $30 though...
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Since it is an Apple sanctioned product, there could be buttons on it that communicate with it via the dock connector.

In addition to your analysis, I would add that I would not be too surprised if they added a diffuser of some sort.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

PalmerTech wrote:Since it is an Apple sanctioned product, there could be buttons on it that communicate with it via the dock connector.
Nice idea, I didn't think about that. Unfortunately I didn't see anything resembling to a button or a directional pad on their device.
PalmerTech wrote:In addition to your analysis, I would add that I would not be too surprised if they added a diffuser of some sort.
What do you mean by a "diffuser" ?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I did, and still do, love the ViewMaster but I am not so sure about this new product. I just can't see a market for it. Maybe they will convert a couple of 3D trailers to this format but, aside from that, what else could you possibly do on this? Like Fredz said, the touch screen is obscured so you can't easily interact with the content. Even a 3D image slide-show application could be a problem, forget 3D gaming. And even for video, how are you going to cue up the video? You would have to press play on the screen, then attach the visor, then put it to your face. By that time you missed the first 30 seconds of the trailer. Doesn't make sense.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

@Fred: Some earlier HMDs used a depixelization filter/diffuser. It basically diffuses the light from each pixel element so that there is no black space in between, and the edges of each pixel overlap. For example, the MRG 2.2 used a Kaiser optics holographic glas diffuser panel that made the low resolution look acceptable, if a bit soft. I would not be surprised at all if there was a diffuser sheet in this thing to just barely blend the pixel elements, they are very cheap these days, seen them on a few cheap, low res chinese photo frames.

@Cyber: According to several news articles, they are working directly with Apple on this. Apple will only certify product that they deem to be user friendly enough to put an "Apple Product" sticker on. Considering that the ViewMaster has always had at least a lever/button to advance to the next frame, I am sure they will have some physical controls on this. The parts needed cost next to nothing, which is why you can get remotes that plug into iPods for less than $2 on the internet. I would not be surprised if they used the accelerometer for selection and movement, so maybe no dpad, but for them to have no buttons at all would be crazy.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I'm not sure they'll include a new controler, that seems quite unlikely to me in a $30 device. They'll probably use the accelerometer for navigation as cybereality said, using the volume buttons would be a nice addition too.

Concerning content, the article said that they intend to create virtual travel experiences that include visits to the Wax Museum and the Santa Monica Pier. That could be a great use for this device, 3D gaming would be even greater if they find a way to interact with the virtual world.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”