Budget Pc building for 3d

kriss332
One Eyed Hopeful

Budget Pc building for 3d

Post by kriss332 »

Hi there, i m planning to build a pc for moderate gaming, limited budget(PC-<500$; 3d-~300$ Earlier i planned for i-3 530. Initially i had thought of PCSX2 (PS2 Emulator). But laterz 3d popped up in my mind. Hav searched for 3d monitors. But damm high prices.PC+3d monitor+nvidia kit is bloody costing me a kidney. So i m planning 2 get a PC as of now & get a 3d monitor laterz as prices come down. So guys, plz suggest me a 3d gaming hardware rig which cud b compatible wid 3d laterz. Thanx
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Budget Pc building for 3d

Post by cybereality »

For best compatibility you want to make sure to get an Nvidia card. Although AMD is now adding some 3D support, Nvidia is a better option. At the very least you want a GTX 460 for 3D gaming. Although you could get by with less, it probably wouldn't be a good investment to buy a weaker card today. As far as CPU/Mobo/RAM goes, just get anything that is decent. Anything dual-core 2.4Ghz (or better) and at least 4GB of RAM. The benchmarks for 2D gaming will be indicative of how good the setup will be, just expect that you will lose performance in 3D. So if you read a benchmark that says a rig can get 90fps in L4D, for example, then in 3D you will only get like 60FPS. The Nvidia 3D Vision kit can get expensive, but there are other options. For example, I own the Zalman Trimon 22" 3D monitor (ZM-M220W). It works with polarized glasses (same like the theaters), the quality is good and its pretty affordable. Although it is hard to find these days, if you search you might find a deal for around $300. This is a full package coming with 2 glasses. They have newer 1080P models, but these sell for $500 and up and are equally hard to find. While you save for a 3D monitor, you can try the old-school anaglyph glasses on your regular display. These glasses (red/cyan) sell for under $10. I recommend the Pro-Ana brand anaglyph glasses. You can use these, for example, with the iz3D driver and test out many games in 3D. This will let you get accustomed to the 3D settings and stuff like that. Obviously this is going to be lower quality than a read 3D monitor, but it should still be fun for testing.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

NVIDIA 3D Vision used to be the be-all and end-all but now that AMD is in the place with its open HD3D technology (used by TriDef and iZ3D drivers) it's no longer the case. You should still wait a little bit before making a decision since the HD3D initiative is quite recent, but if feedback is positive there will be no reason to follow the costly and exclusive NVIDIA route.

If you really don't want to spend much money and still want to experience an interesting stereo 3D experience, a CRT with shutter glasses would be much better than anaglyphs for an approx. $50-$70 investment.

If you want something less bulky than a CRT I don't think the best choice would be an half-res line interleaved Zalman display with polarized glasses. I would preferably go for a 120 Hz full-res display like the ViewSonic FuHzion VX2265wm using shutter glasses. But you should also wait for the HD3D hardware compatibility list to evolve in regard to supported 120 Hz LCD monitors.
kriss332
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kriss332 »

Well thats gr8,thanx guys. Till i get a 3d monitor, i can go abit 3d by using anaglyph glasses or shutter galsses. Well i hav a 19 inch LCD TV with PC in port(RS port). FREDZ ! I cant use shutter glasses on other than CRTs. What can i use with LCD ? HEY CYBER! Is there ny better stuff than anaglyph glasses for my LCD tv?Ny suggestions pple? Thanx for yor advices.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

kriss332 wrote:FREDZ ! I cant use shutter glasses on other than CRTs. What can i use with LCD ? HEY CYBER! Is there ny better stuff than anaglyph glasses for my LCD tv?Ny suggestions pple? Thanx for yor advices.
If your LCD TV is not designed for stereo 3D it won't work with shutter glasses, you would need a screen with a 100-120 Hz refresh rate and designed for low ghosting to experience a stereoscopic effect.

With this type of screen you can also try stereoscopes or prism glasses which will give a better image than anaglyph glasses for $10-$30 at the condition you don't move your head much while looking at the screen. Look at this thread : http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11126" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can find a list of CRTs suitable for stereoscopy at this place : http://pymol.sourceforge.net/stereo3d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Shutter glasses don't really work with LCD screens, expect for the new 120Hz ones made specially for 3D. If you want to use your existing screen then anaglyph is really the only practical option. Give it a try. With a nice pair of anaglyph glasses (like the Pro-Ana) its really not as bad as you think.

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”