YouTube 3D Player

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

YouTube 3D Player

Post by user2319 »

I don't know if there's a better forum for this post or not.

I've created the beginnings of a simple webpage that will take two YouTube video ID's (the last part of the video URL) as input then load, cue and play the videos side-by-side more or less synchronously if there are not bandwidth/connectivity issues. This is not finished and I don't have a lot of time to work on it, but currently it will play and replay the same pair of videos using the sound from the left video frame (refresh is required to play a new pair). It uses the YouTube JavaScript API to control synching and playback. There is much to be desired so please don't expect much at this point. Everyone is welcome to modify, rename, host and distribute this project and otherwise use it as desired. I only ask that its origins are not misrepresented.

http://dumpplace.com/files/483/YT3D.zip

The files must be hosted or the YouTube API will not work. I am not currently providing access to a hosted version at this time, but anyone else is more than welcome to.

One change I think would be useful is a modification so that a link to the 3D player, containing the video ID's, can be put in a YouTube description of one of the videos to view the 3D version.

BTW if you have a fast enough connection the videos can be played back in higher quality, if YouTube has such a version available, by adding "&ap=%2526fmt%3D18" to the end of the video id's in the form blanks. Someone has also apparently succeeded in removing the YouTube logo from embedded videos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qb_213cnVY. Here's an example of it working.

-The Missoulian
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Nice idea!

PM me the alias you would like on the forums, and I can adjust your user profile. Unless you want to be USERXXXX to everyone! :lol:

Regards,
Neil
wuhlei
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by wuhlei »

cool! I seen a lot of stereoscopic movies on youtube.
Albert Einstein
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

If that works, is it possible to make a Video in high-Res from maybe 8 files?

like this:
OO OO
OO OO

Every O is one stream of the youtube file. Now you have to make (or find) a program that cuts every frame of each channel in 4 - and then saves them uploads them in a special place on youtube.

The viewing program has to put them back together and has to load the complete streams first - except you have a extremely fast connection.
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
sharky

Post by sharky »

hi! nice project! but just a stupid question:

wouldnt it be easier to use a simple flash player and use ti with double width instead of putting two toghether?and in the upload give the possibility to select 2 clips instead of one and put them toghether?

let me know!
user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user2319 »

I think the upload part of what you suggested would require a lot more work on the development end, and I don't know if it would work with any current large video sharing sites. I haven't checked out other video sites in regard to playback API's, but I use YouTube myself and figured it's the best site for attracting the most viewers to the 2D version of the video, with possibility for a link to the 3D version, and it's a way for people to host and share their 3D videos for free. The advantage over a split-screen version of the video on YouTube is that this effectively produces twice the resolution (and now even more with YouTube's new resolution modes).
user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user2319 »

Luke,

I think that would be possible and it's an interesting idea. The main problem is the playback controls and logo being in the way. The playback controls can be removed by registering for a YouTube API developer key but that doesn't remove the logo. The logo can apparently be removed through "unofficial" means, but I would imagine that would jeopardize use of the developer key. :(
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

Hm. I see it's to much effort to realize my Idea.

If you made 2 streams with the logo... the logo would be at screendepth and you could watch through it. You could see it as a feature or as a point to refear to :)
ayqz1u0s

user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user2319 »

Yes, I think the logo should be okay with two streams in 3D although I would prefer it gone. Your suggestion got me thinking that the two streams could also be used with a video split in half to show "YouTube widescreen" with an 8x3 aspect ratio (plus 2 logos). BTW if you haven't tried adding &fmt=18 to the URL of some of the better quality videos on YouTube I would suggest that you try it. I uploaded an HDV transport stream as a test (no longer up) and the resulting playback quality with the additional parameter was a lot better, including the sound quality. Reportedly not all videos have a higher quality/resolution version available, but the &fmt=18 parameter plays it if available. The widescreen trick should produce a pretty nice end result. I think I'll try it...
wuhlei
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by wuhlei »

does this support the VR920 headset and can I play flv videos from my hard drive?
Albert Einstein
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user2319 »

wuhlei wrote:does this support the VR920 headset and can I play flv videos from my hard drive?
It isn't designed to support any method except cross-viewing and parallel viewing, and currently it will only play YouTube videos online. I suspect that it may be possible to modify it for passive projection systems using horizontal span mode, by triggering a second identical window for one of the videos. If there's a way to use other viewing systems with a horizontal span display mode I think it may work with those too.

I tried the widescreen trick with one 16x9 video split in half (plus blackspace added) and it worked quite well, although the two playback control bars were kind of distracting since they were wider than the video portion, and I had to add a delay to one video apparently because YouTube encoder either delayed or shortened the beginning of one. I think a much simpler solution for widescreen YouTube videos would be to get a developer key and set the height and width of the embedded video using YouTube's API, to play back videos anamorphically. Below are some ID's of test videos I uploaded to YouTube in case anyone wants to upload the project to their hosting space and try it out. I may look for a free hosting account soon for the project so people can easily see it working, and YouTubers can add links to their video pages for people to see 3-D versions.

widescreen test left: bRloCgKYVtY right: XbP1o1rrG70

3-D test left: wPJRX1hL9io right: 2cS79vOD-40

Don't forget to add "&ap=%2526fmt%3D18" (minus quotes) to the end of each of these ID's if you have a fast connection, so you'll see a higher quality encoding of the videos.
user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user2319 »

I found a free hosting provider - 000webhost.com, and I don't know how they make money because there are reportedly no ads. Here's the URL to the viewer: http://3d.890m.com

It's still buggy and I want to add a variable delay feature so that links can contain the necessary info to sync the videos if YouTube doesn't encode them exactly in sync. If the videos don't both play after initial cueing, try putting both videos on pause and clicking the Cue & Play button again.
user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user2319 »

***** UPDATE *****

The page now requires the video ID's and other parameters to be specified via querystring. Here are the parameters:

L - Left video ID
R - Right video ID
HQ - optional, 1=higher quality version of video
D - optional, number of milliseconds to delay left video

Here's an example:

http://3d.890m.com?L=wPJRX1hL9io&R=2cS79vOD-40&HQ=1&D=3

There is currently no way to delay the right video. I'm not sure it's necessary because the order in which they are triggered is left then right unless enough delay is added to the left video. However, I'm not sure that YouTube's encoding won't cause the left video to be too much delayed in some instances. I think I'll add the option for D to be a negative value just in case.
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

The given example seems to work, but the videos are missing ;-(

2nd example (I hope it :? ):

http://3d.890m.com?L=bRloCgKYVtY&R=XbP1o1rrG70&HQ=1&D=3

it should be the widescreen thing...
ayqz1u0s

user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user2319 »

LukePC1 wrote:The given example seems to work, but the videos are missing ;-(

2nd example (I hope it :? ):

http://3d.890m.com?L=bRloCgKYVtY&R=XbP1o1rrG70&HQ=1&D=3

it should be the widescreen thing...
Sorry about that. The videos were set to "private" and I thought they worked before even when I was logged out of YouTube. I've set them to "public".
user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user2319 »

The "D" delay parameter may now be negative, which will delay the right video instead. I've put links to the viewer in the descriptions of the left and right videos on YouTube.
user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user2319 »

The hosting provider put a redirect stating that they are manually checking the files for malicious content. Great. This had better be the only such interruption...
user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user2319 »

Meanwhile, here's a Geocities version in reverse for cross-viewing:

http://www.geocities.com/themissoulian? ... HQ=1&D=-50
user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user2319 »

000webhost CANCELED my account. Apparently they think my 3D viewer was abusive. Yes, those poor little videos...

Anyway, the Geocities version is still up at last check (see previous post). I also registered for a YouTube developer key which I now have, and have used it to make a different kind of widescreen player that simply changes the aspect ratio of a single video:

http://www.geocities.com/themissoulian/ ... WMdkmn7a2M

One benefit of this method is that YouTubers can upload captured widescreen video directly without recompressing it in letterbox format. I would also like to provide handling of an aspect ratio parameter in the URL for custom ratios besides 16:9. That would allow for two 4:3 videos side-by-side as one file for 3D with perfect sync! I have also been working on a widescreen 3D version of the original two-player concept.

btw I haven't found out if it's possible to play the anamorphic videos in the 'HQ' mode. It doesn't seem to work with the normal parameters.
user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user2319 »

I've added an aspect ratio parameter to the widescreen player that can be passed as "&ar=" followed by a floating point aspect ratio value x in the ratio x:1, so example numbers would be 1.78, 1.85, 2.35, etc. The player default is 16x9. "&ar=DV" will also set the player to the aspect ratio for widescreen DV or mini-DV videos, which are not actually 16x9.

To show cross or parallel view 3D videos encoded as one anamorphic video, simply set the aspect ratio for twice the width value of one video by itself (i.e. 4 x 3 = 1.33:1, times 2 = 2.66:1). Showing your 3D videos this way instead of letterboxed allows more available vertical resolution to be used. You can also set the width and height of the player in pixels manually by specifying "&w=" and "&h=" which will override any aspect ratio value.

Enjoy!
Mercy Yamada
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mercy Yamada »

Wow! It's great work!

I upload my test movie.
http://www.geocities.com/themissoulian/ ... lY&ar=2.66

It's perfect!
New Generation of YouTube has come!
Mercy Yamada
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mercy Yamada »

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

awesome invention user2319. Can you add a version that will interlace them? I wonder if it's possible to load to youtube movies into one swf, then you could just make a mask that consists of 1 pixel lines (actually rectangles stretched out to be lines, since the lines in flash behave differently). Anyhow a comprehensive solution where you can choose between crosseye, interlaced and anaglyph would rule. I would upload content to such a thing if it existed.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

yuriythebest1 wrote:awesome invention user2319. Can you add a version that will interlace them? I wonder if it's possible to load to youtube movies into one swf, then you could just make a mask that consists of 1 pixel lines (actually rectangles stretched out to be lines, since the lines in flash behave differently). Anyhow a comprehensive solution where you can choose between crosseye, interlaced and anaglyph would rule. I would upload content to such a thing if it existed.
Yeah. That would be pretty easy to do, you just render 2 video streams into bitmap buffers, then interlace the pixels onto the screen. I can maybe put a sample together if people think its a good idea.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

cybereality wrote:
yuriythebest1 wrote:awesome invention user2319. Can you add a version that will interlace them? I wonder if it's possible to load to youtube movies into one swf, then you could just make a mask that consists of 1 pixel lines (actually rectangles stretched out to be lines, since the lines in flash behave differently). Anyhow a comprehensive solution where you can choose between crosseye, interlaced and anaglyph would rule. I would upload content to such a thing if it existed.
Yeah. That would be pretty easy to do, you just render 2 video streams into bitmap buffers, then interlace the pixels onto the screen. I can maybe put a sample together if people think its a good idea.
well if you do, the next Gamerus Cleverus episodes will be provided both in this format (and also in S3D-HD from my site of course)
user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user2319 »

I don't have the time or currently the knowledge to make an interlaced or anaglyph solution, but I would like to see it! I would like to make a dual-view solution by simply opening a new window with one player centered on each screen, if time permits.
Last edited by user2319 on Wed May 21, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user2319 »

Mercy Yamada wrote: To user2319:
May I use this JavaScript on my own Web Space?
Feel free!
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

I'm still not able to get any picture in except black with a youtube sign and a replay button in the script.

All I have to do is click one of the links, correct?

Mercy Yamada wrote:I add more sample clips of YouTube 3D Player.

http://www.geocities.com/themissoulian/ ... iw&ar=2.66
http://www.geocities.com/themissoulian/ ... gA&ar=2.66
http://www.geocities.com/themissoulian/ ... Es&ar=2.66

This is large scale sample.
http://www.geocities.com/themissoulian/ ... 1024&h=384

To user2319:
May I use this JavaScript on my own Web Space?
I use FireFox and don't think I've got some popup blockers, but I'm not shure, if I have the right java installed...

Do you think that might cause the problem :?:
Did anyone but me get this nearly black screen?

thanks for your effort making the script - and the content :)
ayqz1u0s

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

LukePC1 wrote:
Did anyone but me get this nearly black screen?
black screen here
Mercy Yamada
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mercy Yamada »

This JavaScript does't work on FireFox.
Use Internet Explorer or IE tab.

To user2319:
Thx!
I'll try to use it.
user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user2319 »

I know sometimes the videos haven't loaded and the loading animation has just kept looping, due to a YouTube problem.
user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user2319 »

Mercy Yamada wrote:This JavaScript does't work on FireFox.

To user2319:
Thx!
I'll try to use it.
Please note that for the widescreen player you'll need to apply for a YouTube developer key to get it to work in case you don't have one, assuming you don't use mine which would be against YouTube's policy and not something I'd want.
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

user2319 wrote:

To user2319:
Thx!
I'll try to use it.
Please note that for the widescreen player you'll need to apply for a YouTube developer key to get it to work in case you don't have one, assuming you don't use mine which would be against YouTube's policy and not something I'd want.
Did I get you right, that you (I ) need the developer key even to WATCH the vidoes? This makes very little sense and I hope there is a more common way, than get a developer key for everyone, who wants to watch it...

About IE: why does it work? Because it 'copies' the key? I don't want to use IE anyway. A lot of users use FF, so why does it not run on that browser :?:
ayqz1u0s

user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user2319 »

LukePC1 wrote:
user2319 wrote:

To user2319:
Thx!
I'll try to use it.
Did I get you right, that you (I ) need the developer key even to WATCH the vidoes? This makes very little sense and I hope there is a more common way, than get a developer key for everyone, who wants to watch it...

About IE: why does it work? Because it 'copies' the key? I don't want to use IE anyway. A lot of users use FF, so why does it not run on that browser :?:
You only need a developer key to host the Javascript yourself which is what Mercy had asked to do earlier, not to view the videos. I don't know why it doesn't work on Firefox and I actually haven't tested it on that browser. A lot of the code is from YouTube. I don't know which part isn't working. What does the error message say? I'll test it when I have time.
user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user2319 »

I just tested both the side-by-side player and the widescreen player in Firefox and neither one works properly, but I still don't know what the problem is. I was able to see a YouTube logo for one of the videos but no image with it.

By the way, the latest urls for both players (minus video parameters) are:

http://YT3D.com/ws.htm (widescreen player)

and

http://YT3D.com (dual player)

There is also now a widescreen multiplayer for playing multipart YouTube videos. See this example (copy and paste the URL if the whole thing is not a link):

http://YT3D.com/multiplayer.htm?v=FOQNA ... YasWJ5KDjk

The first parameter is the video ID of the video to play upon load, and the playlist parameter contains the video ID's of all parts in order separated by a }
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

I stepped into the cave of the devil/lion, but nothing else happened.

I think it was IE 7 or something... I don't know if it is up to date or old like XP...
(I was surprised, that I could find it :roll: )
Well I still get the black image with just some buttons. I tried several of the links given here...

Do I have to close down FF or what???

Maybe it's a good Idea to ask neil, if he can host it on MTBS. That way the right people were addressed and the link wouldn't change that often...
ayqz1u0s

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

user2319 wrote:

To user2319:
Thx!
I'll try to use it.
I see. I tried to use it but it just came up black. I saw one youtube logo and nothing else.
user2319
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user2319 »

user2319 wrote: You only need a developer key to host the Javascript yourself which is what Mercy had asked to do earlier, not to view the videos.
Mercy Yamada
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mercy Yamada »

user2319 wrote: Please note that for the widescreen player you'll need to apply for a YouTube developer key to get it to work in case you don't have one, assuming you don't use mine which would be against YouTube's policy and not something I'd want.
I worried about it.
But I tested this JavaScript on my Webspace with your YouTube developer key about 3 times. Very sorry.
So I will register my YouTube developer key.

I found a way to watch YouTube 3D Player's output in S-3D device.
(Like anaglyph glass, micro-pol monitor, LCD shutter glass, pageflipping HMD.)
But it takes many steps, very troublesome.
Here's an explanation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCA-Igz_i9s
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Mercy Yamada wrote:
user2319 wrote: Please note that for the widescreen player you'll need to apply for a YouTube developer key to get it to work in case you don't have one, assuming you don't use mine which would be against YouTube's policy and not something I'd want.
I worried about it.
But I tested this JavaScript on my Webspace with your YouTube developer key about 3 times. Very sorry.
So I will register my YouTube developer key.

I found a way to watch YouTube 3D Player's output in S-3D device.
(Like anaglyph glass, micro-pol monitor, LCD shutter glass, pageflipping HMD.)
But it takes many steps, very troublesome.
Here's an explanation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCA-Igz_i9s
cool I will make a point to try this some time... but yeah.. we won't see tons of people doing this

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”