My PS3 3D Gaming Experience

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

My PS3 3D Gaming Experience

Post by Chiefwinston »

I'm currently gaming on a 50" high definition plasma 3D TV (Panasonic VT25). I purchased all my current 3D games from the Playstation Store on-line. Here is my thoughts regarding them.

MotorStorm 3D Rift (full game): This game has outstanding 3D effect. It also runs at a very high frame rate. Controlls are great. And all menu's are clear and easy to use. There is mud and debris flying off racers in front of you during game play. My point being there is some good off the screen 3D- which I like. I'm able to play for an entire evening 4-5 hours with no eye strain or headaches. I absolutely, love this game.

Super Stardust HD (full game): Here's a game I would normally pass on. It's a modern day asteroids game. Playing this game in 2D I would be bored and ready to move on in about 15 minutes. Turn the 3D mode on and I can't stop playing. The 3D really turns this game from one I wouldn't play to one I must beat. It also has a high frame rate. And fantastic 3D effect . I'm able to play for hours and hours with no eye strain or headaches.

Wipeout HD (full game with fury-add on): This game is beautiful in 2D and has a very high frame rate in 2D. It's a futuristic hover craft racer. I read various blogs and opinions that suggested that this game would take a hit on image quality or frame rate. I do not see this. This game retains all it's original splendor and now is in 3D. It's very important to have your display set-up properly for this game. It's very fast. Any ghosting and this one becomes an eye strain headache fest. With some slight contrast adjustment I'm able to play this ghost free. I love this game. Again I'm able to play for several hours with no ill side effects.

MLB 10 (Demo): I haven't played this one very much. Sorry, but I'm not much of a baseball fan. I can tell you that the 3d is top notch and looks very cool. The frame rate is very high ,also.

Pain (full game): I just down loaded this one. I'll have to get back to everyone once I get some time to play it.

In my opinion, the PS3 is very capable of doing 3D gaming. I can't wait to see what's in store for us PS3 owners.

Cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Re: My PS3 3D Gaming Experience

Post by Anthony1 »

I temporarily had a VT20 which is basically the same as a VT25, and my feelings are pretty much identical. I played all those games (except for Pain), and thought the experience was pretty amazing. Motorstorm 3D Rift wasn't available back when I had the VT20, so I only played the 3D demo of the one track, but thought that Rift's 3D was the most impressive of the bunch.

The thing that really amazed me about Rift, is that it seems like you can see a full country mile "into" the screen. It really is amazing, because you can see the upcoming twists and turns of the track way ahead of time. It's really hard to explain to somebody that doesn't have the shutterglasses on, looking at the same thing you're looking at, but you can see really far "into" the screen with Rift.

Super Stardust is amazing to me, because it still seems like it's running at 1080p, even though it isn't. I think with Wipeout HD, it's a little easier to notice the drop in resolution, but not as much with Super Stardust. I owned both Super Stardust and Wipeout way before the whole 3D thing started up, and I loved both of those games before the whole 3D thing took off. Playing them in 3D is just icing on the cake.

I can't wait for even more 3D games. I've jumped back on the 3D bandwagon with a purchase of a Samsung PN50C680. It's a 50 inch 1080p 3D plasma. Was able to get it for $1338 shipped, no tax, no California E-Waste fee. I also got a free 3D starter kit that has 2 pairs of glasses and the Monsters vs. Aliens 3D Blu Ray. I went to Fry's electronics, and brought my PS3 with me, and tried the Motorstorm demo and Wipeout HD and Super Stardust in 3D on the Samsung before buying it. Amazingly, the 3D quality seemed identical to the VT20 that I owned before. I'm sure the 2D quality of the VT20 shits all over the C680, but the 3D quality seemed basically identical, which was pretty amazing considering the price.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Anthony1, yeah the MotorStorm 3D Rift is quite impressive. If you pick up the full game with 10 tracks you'll see that some of them race right next to cliffs. It gives a very strange like I'm way way up in the air feeling- very immersive. Also, normally I like to race in the first person perspective. But with 3D on I actually like the outside 3rd person perspective more. I also, prefer to use the motorcycle for the racing. I like how the flames are painted on it.

There's also a 3D video at the playstation store called E320103DSizzle_Trailer-3D720 it works in 3D with shutter glasses. It's free. It shows off some of the up coming 3D games. Take a look at MotorStorm:Apocalypse. For some reason I thought I caught a release date of Nov. 16th somewhere for this. I can't confirm this now so this is probably bad release info on my part. But it can be viewed in regular 2D for those that haven't made the jump into the 3rd dimension. Also, Crisis 2 looks pretty nice, same for killzone 3. Though, the very brief killzone 3 footage seems to suffer with a frame rate issue. All these and a few more titles are shown in 3D on this file. Looks like another banner year for the PS3.

Cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
vrekks
Cross Eyed!

Post by vrekks »

What glasses and emitter do you have? How is your emitter set up? Do you have the emitter connected to a pc running a looped 3d video or can you connect it directly to the ps3? Thanks.
"Who has ever torn himself from the claw that encloses you when you drop a seed in a TV parlor? It grows you any shape it wishes! It is an environment as real as the world. It becomes and is the truth. Books can be beaten down with reason. But with all my knowledge and scepticism, I have never been able to argue with a one-hundred-piece symphony orchestra, full colour, three dimensions, and I being in and part of those incredible parlors."
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

vrekks, my glasses came with the Panasonic TV. The emitter is built into the TV. One set of glasses come with the TV. Another set of glasses can be bought for approx. $150. The PS3 has built-in wireless networking. I connect my PS3 to the internet and open the Playstation Store application. In the new release folder there is another folder called 3D.(Sony recently updated the PS3 with firmware that enables 3D.) In this folder are most of the new applications that benefit from this firmware update. The video I was refering to is in this folder. No PC is involved in this. This is Sony's world. And I believe you need there equipment to access it. No need to worry about which O.S., Processor, Video card, Video card Drivers, Direct X revisions, ect.... It's Sony's canned solution. The only down side I see right now is the wait for gaming content. The games I've played in 3D on the PS3 have all ran without a glitch with all menu's legible. And all in-game content rendered at there proper depths. Each game that I have played has the option to play in 2D or 3D. Each game also, has a stereo seperation option that can be turned up or down. I've played all my current games at max. stereo effect.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Okay, I've had a little more time to play the Baseball demo. It is simply outstanding. I don't normally like baseball but if this becomes a full release title. I will buy it. I don't see myself ever playing a full 162 game season. I would, however, play against friends and family. And is worthy of my game collection. I have ,also, played Pain. It's a very zanny game. It's a sling shot a guy around kind of title. The complete game is NOT in 3D. The game modes Alien Toss, Bowling, and if I remember right Mime Toss are in 3D. The game mode "Spank The Monkey" is not in 3D. I'm still playing around with this title. The 3D is top notch. All menu's are legible. All geometry in the game appear at the right depths. I'm not sure this is a game I'll play much. But with only 7 titles available for 3D game play. Selections are small. Grand Turismo 5 is due Nov. 2nd. I've never played a Grand Turismo title. This one looks real nice though.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Hi Chiefwinston,

Did you bother with any calibration with your 3D HDTV(s)? What display settings (contral, color, etc) work best in 3D on your console? I'm wondering if there are ways to get even better results with the glasses on.

I've got the VT20.

Regards,
Neil
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Sure thing Neil, this will take a little while and will involve several posts. Some of which will appear to drift off topic- but will all in the end be relevant to PS3 console gaming. I'm in Michigan. Work and lifes resposibilities come first. I have not calibrated in any fashion my VT25. When I bought it the salesman through in a free Panasonic DMP-BDT350 3D Blu-ray player. I really wasn't looking for a 3D blu-ray player. It comes with a demo disc. It has a couple of clips that I use as refererance material. I view this disc in VIVID Mode. The set needs to be showing 3D content at the time you change the viewing modes. You can only make changes in color, contrast, ect... that effects the quality of the 3D while the 3D is active. There are a couple of clips showing Drag Racing and Motor Cross racing. They are amazing. I've viewed these 2 clips in every mode. Vivid is the best. The Drag racing shows broad daylight footage. It has a lot of light and dark objects agianst each other. Usually, the type of footage that will show ghosting in other displays. On the VT25 there is zero ghosting with this clip. This tells me that the camera, display, and shutterglasses are working perfectly. The same is true for the motorcross footage.

too be Continued.........
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

These clips to me confirm that this technology is successfully isolating the left and right images. There is no cross talk- Not even a little. So for the entire demo disc this is what I see.
  • 1. Drag Racing: High Definition Imaging, good example of dark and light objects agianst each other, very good stereo seperation, and zero ghosting.
    2. Motor Cross: High Definition Imaging, good example of dark and light objects agianst each other, very good stereo seperation, and zero ghosting.
    3. Coral something: High Definition Imaging, good example of dark and light objects agianst each other, very good stereo seperation, and zero ghosting.
    4. Mexico City:High Definition Imaging, good example of dark and light objects agianst each other, very good stereo seperation, and very faint ghosting in some high contrast areas. Possible source- focal point is off a tich, a different 3D camera is used, or both.
too be continued..........
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

• 5. Grand Canyon: High Definition Imaging, good example of dark and light objects agianst each other, very good stereo seperation, and faint ghosting in some high contrast areas. The cross talk is more than the Mexico City video. Possible source- focal point is off a tich, a different 3D camera is used (I'm guessing its an IMAX 3D Camera), or both. The cross talk is less than or equal to what I see at my local IMAX theater.
    6. Astro Boy:High Definition Imaging, good example of dark and light objects agianst each other, very good stereo seperation, and significantly more ghosting in some high contrast areas. The cross talk is more than the Grand Canyon video and the Mexico City Video. Probable source-this computer generated imagery is slightly flawed. If the mathmatical model used to generate the left and right images more closely matched the optics used in the Drag Racing video you would have zero ghosting. Still it matches the worst case ghosting that I see at my local IMAX theater.
Too be continued.......(sorry I'm an engineer)
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

but in these video's it is only fleeting instances of crosstalk.So how does this relate to console 3D gaming. Well I'm going to give you the all my secret settings. And rate there cross talk relative to to Demo 3D Blu-Ray that I think shows the full range of fleeting cross talk that can be expected.

First up. Super Stardust HD:
Just remember to have the 3D active before you make any adjustments. Go to MENU and you'll need to adjust to the following.

Picture (3D)
Picture Mode: Cinema
contrast:+70
Brightness:+58
Color: +50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +50
Color Temp: Warm2
color Mgmt: off
X.V.Color: off
Photo enhancement: Blank
C.A.T.S.: off
Video NR: wear
Blur Reduction: on
everything else is default.

Cross talk is not in the imaging. It's in the same catagory as the drag racing video. The Stereo seperation is much stronger, also. I think these settings bring out the color vibrancy. Simply reference quality 3D. The explosions rising up, debri everywere some hitting you in the face. For me the imaging simply "pops" at these settings. I can sit 3 feet away from the display. The game is a bit hard though. I've wimped down to easy setting so that I can advance to other levels. I'll also, highly recommend manually setting your anti-image retentions to there highest settings. And closely inspecting with all white and all black screens for I.R.. If you see some I.R. don't poop your pants. I've seen very faint I.R. Run regular TV switch to a different game and it will go away. My non-3D 50" samsung plasma that has been running for a few years still displays more I.R. after a heavy gaming session than the new Panny. These babies cost a small fortune. So get in the habit of inspecting.

Neil If you wanted to move this or link it to the 3D HDTV forum. I'm cool with that.

cheers

too be continued..........
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

hmmm, well I've had my VT25 plus PS3 running 3D material for approximately 1 month now. This is what I have found to be the all around killer setting for 3D gaming.

Picture (3D)
Picture Mode: GAME
contrast:+100
Brightness:+100
Color: +90
Sharpness: +75
Color Temp: Warm1
color Mgmt: on
X.V.Color: auto
C.A.T.S.: on

Neil, try those. I found varying degrees of ghosting in other modes. This I believe is the best this TV will do with the PS3. Wipeout and MotorStorm 3D Drift are in perfect 3D at this setting. Casper the ghost is gone. It's quite impressive. For me the stereo seperation is stronger than the demo disc.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I'm going to do some testing as soon as the PS3 3D blu-ray update comes out next week. I have an hdmi 1.4 compliant full hd 3D blu-ray player (panasonic) that I'll compare to the PS3. I'm interested in how well the PS3 compares and if I can see a difference.

Neil, I've been visiting your site since you first dropped links in stereo3d/stereovision.net. years back. It's a great site, you've brought it along ways. You have surpassed all others.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Neil

Post by Neil »

Nice! I will give this a go and report back. Casper the ghost is gone, eh? :lol:

When I was at the 3D Entertainment Summit (just got back), I asked Panasonic if they recommend any special calibrations, but they weren't aware of any.

Regards,
Neil
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I'm looking at Avatar the PS3 game. Will all copies play in 3D? After reading the box art It makes no mention of 3D play. I know that there are special copies of Batman that play in 3D- mine won't. Anyone know?
I took the family to see Alpha & Omega 3D last night. Everyone agree's our 50" screen looks just like the big screen. We all love it.

cheers
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Also, we have been running the TV and PS3 in 3D mode at about a 10 to 1 ratio. Thats 10 hours in 3D to every 1 hour of 2D content. I have experienced some eye fatigue. But we are also, way beyond recomendation.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

someone posted this recently on avsforums, found it interesting:
If you do not suffer from vision defects, but experience eye fatigue take a break. Your eyes have to move and twitch at a much faster rate to view virtual 3D spaces presented on 3DTV type imagry than in the real world. In some scenes, depending upon the amount of out of screen or in to screen effects, your eyes have to move 4-5x faster. What does this mean? Your eye muscles that control eye movement get one heck of a work out. It takes about 2-3 weeks of consistent 3D viewing for the eyes to really begin to adjust, so don't over do it. Some people have 'slower' vision than others. IE your hockey goalie or NASCAR driver will be expected to have much 'faster' vision than your office secretary, so the NASCAR driver can see 3D images with less fatigue.

I have been using 3D for over 20 years and am able to push my depth and convergence settings way beyond what my buddies are able to do at a comfortable level on PC games because my eyes are conditioned for it. If it hurts, take a break, let your muscles rest and then give it another whirl in a day.

If you have ever excercised, then you realized that building strength fibers or twitch fibers takes time and training, so be patient with your eyes. In 6-12 months the rule 'the hands are faster than the eyes' may not apply to you any longer.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I'm currently playing AVATAR the game. I picked it up for $15 out of a bargian bin. I didn't know for sure if it would play in 3D or not. It does in side by side mode. I also, have to manually start the shutter glasses in the TV's menu options. Last night was my first night of playing this title. In 3D mode it has frame rate issues- serious frame rate issues. The 3D seperation is much stronger than the other titles I've tried. I'm also, using a Splitfish FragFX V2 SE controller. I'm a PC gamer that has struggled with shooter type games on the PS3 console. This controller has made it so I can enjoy FPS on the PS3. Once I got the 3D and the controller all running to my satisfaction in game. I procceded to play for the next 6 hours. Even though this title looks to be around 20 frames per second It's had its moments of immersion and fun. It's no triple A title like MW2 by any means.

to be continued.....
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

For AVATAR the game I'm using the followig settings.

In game display:
3D= Enabled
3D Intensity = 2
3D format = side by side

Brightness= 1.2
Gamma= 1.2

And the Panasonic is set to the following:
Picture (3D)
Color Temp: Warm2

I would not recomend this title to anyone. It's very imperfect. The frame rate in 3D is disappointing. I'm going to continue with this title and play it to the end. It does require one to look past all its problems and simply enjoy it. I play games primarily for the single player experience. I rarely go on-line to play. After playing Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament in 3D and on-line for several thousands of hours. I've meet my lifetime quota for on-line play, and now prefer a good single player deep story game experience. This title seems to have some of that. Oh and I played for about 5 minutes in 2D. Frame rate in 2D was not a problem.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Played some more AVATAR last night. There are area's of this game that play very well in 3D with an acceptable frame rate. I made it to those dragon like thingy's. Yeah real nice and smooth animations when flying one of those dragon thingy's. Looks real nice.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Neil

Post by Neil »

Chiefwinston,

Are you using a PS3 classic, or a PS3 slim?

Regards,
Neil
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Funny that the experience differ between pc and consoles in 3d... Avatar is still visually the best pcgame i've played in 3d.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... cle?page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

look at those framerates... (video halfway in text) that game won't use CELL , much better suited for PC or box.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Neil I'm using a PS3 classic.

Likay, it is visually outstanding. Now I'm hoping that the frame rate issue can be overcome with pure graphics card horse power. Because, I'll be adding a gaming PC to my ultimate 3d game set-up in the future. Also, gaming on a 50" screen does make any slow downs in frame rate more pronounced. So if the PC version is silky smooth and the PS3 is choppy in places. I'm thinking its a PS3 weekness. And or possibly a poor port. I do also, in my own mind mark games down heavily for frame rate issues. But I'm still playing it , I'm having fun. It's incredibly immersive.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Thanks tritosine, the video in that link is what I'm seeing frame rate wise. Not always though. But enough for the PS3 version to be in the bargian bin.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

This is a little off topic to this forum but Neil if you see this. I think its great news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11434545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have fond memories of playing Star Wars: Rogue Squadron on my PC 3D set-up. Specifically, the Hoth level is incredible. I played this one level over and over agian it was so good. Hmm, makes me wonder how I might get it to work on my VT25.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I have connected to the Borg and accepted the 3.50 update. I have become fully assimilated. And I now have a 3D blu-ray player in my PS3. My initial test indications are very positive. I have a Panasonic 3D blu-ray player with hdmi 1.4 ports to compare. I also, have a couple of 3D blu-rays to play. More to come.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Minor correction- the Star Wars game that really was fantastic was Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire. I had to use my old Wicked3d drivers for that PC game. I actually still have the Wicked3d CD.

I've played some 3D blu-rays through the PS3. As expected the image is identical to the Panasonic 3D blu-ray. I do not have a high end sound system. So I do not hear any differences in sound quality. Sony gets a gold star from me regarding this update.

I'm still playing Avatar, Motorstorm 3d Rift, Wipeout HD, Pain, and Superstardust. I'm nearing completion on a couple of them. I think its worth noting that the pop-out 3D is some what lacking in these titles. I'd like to see a convergence option from Sony. I've played Unreal Tournament on my old PC 3D set-up. Where I've set-up Rocket arenas and had killer pop out 3d settings. The immersion was so great that I kinked my neck trying to get out of the way of incoming rockets. And this has acured on more than one ocassion.

My granddaughter has asked me to get her an EyePet. Hmm, whats a grandpa ta do... Okay an EyePet it is then.

cheers
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Chiefwinston wrote:Were I've set-up Rocket arenas and had killer pop out 3d settings. The immersion was so great that I kinked my neck trying to get out of the way of incoming rockets. And this has acured on more than one ocassion.
Im expecting such with Duke Nukem forever multiplayer;) The developer , Gearbox, patched their other game , Borderlands, to s3d perfection.

DNF and S3D will go hand in hand, Im willing to bet. ;) You'll need a PC though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-97N6jN ... r_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Duke Nukem 3D is one of my favorite games. It's the first FPS that I played through to the end. I also, played tons of multiplayer on-line through a network called Kali. Duke didn't support TCP-IP originally and you had to use Kali for internet play. That video is interesting to me- in that the battle in the football stadium is the final boss battle in Duke Nukem 3D- but with next gen. graphics. In the original game you could shoot the blimp and it would rain down an unlimited supply of guns and ammo to fight the final boss with. At the start of the battle Duke tells the final boss "I'm going to rip your head off and s@!t down your neck". And well after you kill the final boss. Duke grabs a newspaper and sits down and.... well you get the picture.

Gearbox has a great reputation. I'm sure they'll do fine with this very valuable I.P. I'll for sure play this one in stereo 3D.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Hmm this is quite unexpected news.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010- ... runs-in-3d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, COD in 3D is going to be sick. Not that I have a PS3 or anything, but I'm sure some people will be happy.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I am very concerned with COD and a thing called acceptable frame rate. I've played plenty of Activision games that looked like they could use another year of developement. For them to throw a Stereo 3D badge on it and kick it out the door- would not suprise me. Good 3D for high end 3D PC gamers and lousy 3D for PS3 owners. I won't have the dough for my new 3D gaming PC until after christmas. So I'm hoping that I'll get some decent 3D action untill then.

For those curious.
My current master Plan for my High-End Ultimate 3D gaming set-up.

Display: 50" Panasonic VT25
Game Systems: PS3, High-End gaming PC, XBOX 360 (Once they support 3D). Wii HD (Once they support 3D).

Controllers: Splitfish wired FragFX V2 SE controller (PS3), Logitec racing wheel G27 with a racing chair(PS3,PC), Thrustmaster t-flight hotas X joystick (PS3,PC). Move controller(PS3). Kinect (Xbox).

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Well I have some good news and some disappointing news. First the good, I bought my granddaughter an EyePet. It was a package deal that for $100 you get the Eyepet game, one video camera, and one Move controller. I'm still evaluating the set-up and I won't give you my final take on it until I get a chance to try it. My granddaughter is having so much fun with it she won't give me a try at it, yet. Now the Eyepet isn't something I would play, but I will give it a go in the next couple of weeks. The 3D is top notch. the interaction between the Eyepet and my granddaughter is stunning in its originality and quality. The move controller seems to be far more responsive and the movement acuracy translated to the TV is remarkable and probably superior to the Wii controller(we have a Wii console and love it). Much more on this one later. She's laughing and gigling very hard while playing with the Eyepet- so it might be a while before I can get some quality time with her EyePet.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

And now for the disappointing part. I recieved my copy of Monsters Vs Aliens last night. I bought it at a resonable price off the secondary market. It would be nice to just walk into a store and buy this item. But Samsung has it locked up as a Samsung exclusive for a while. Anyways, I poped my brand new Monsters Vs Aliens 3D Blu-ray into my Sony PS3 grabbed the popcorn and kicked back. And so the disappointing part begins. It would NOT play in my PS3. I had my brother bring his PS3 over so that we could try it there, also. The bottom line is that I tried to play Monsters Vs Aliens 3D on two PS3's. And it did not work. You put the disc into the PS3 and it doesn't even react as if there's a disc inserted- big fat bummer. Sony, whats up with dat?

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

And So after the disappointing performance of my PS3 Blu-ray player. I plugged in the trusty Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player. I'll list my Panasonic VT25 settings later (I forgot to write them down). Anyways the full 1080P for each eye on the Panasonic VT25 plus the Panasonic 350 blu-ray is beyond amazing. I saw zero ghosting on the Monsters VS Aliens 3D Blu-ray. Not a little here and there- none. It's my new reference disc. I saw this movie in the theaters in 3D and really liked it. On my 50" 1080p per eye plasma- well you have to see it to believe it. The 3d stereo seperation seems stronger on the 3D blu-ray than in the theater.I know its probably not any different than what was shown at my local theater- but the 3D seperation looks better on my 50" plasma. The convergence looks better, also. The scene were the general is flying around with his jet pack shows real nice off the screen 3D. Not way off the screen 3D like I've had with some of my old pc 3D games. But very respectable pop out 3D.

Monsters VS Aliens 3D blu-ray is simply a masterpiece on my panasonic VT25. I have most definetly found the sweet spot for this TV. I played the movie 2 times last night and skipped around to various scenes for what would equal watching it 3 times in one night.

hmm, did I mention I love this 3D Blu-ray. I can't wait for more 3D blu-rays. They are simply incredible.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Chiefwinston wrote:Wii HD (Once they support 3D)

Nintendo has said that their next home console will not be 3D capable. So it will be a full console cycle, at least 6 or 7 years before that happens. :(

In the meanwhile, use your gaming PC to run Dolphin, a Wii emulator. You can play games in 1080p 3D using the IZ3D drivers.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Thank you for the tip PalmerTech.

Here's my VT25 settings that I used with the Monsters Vs Aliens 3D Blu-ray.
Picture (3D)
Color Temp: Normal
Video NR: off
Aspect adjustment
Pc Adjustments
HDMI/DVI RBG Range (3D)
Advanced Picture (3D)> Mosquito NR: Off
Black Level: Dark
24P Direct In: 96 hz

And enjoy the show from their. I'm going to try this same setting with Coraline 3D and Ice Age 3D. When they arrive. I gotta tell ya. The Monster vs Aliens 3D Blu-ray nocked my socks off. I would like to know why the PS3's failed to play this disk. It's the first blu-ray disk that has not played in it.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, you are not the only one that has had problems playing MvA on the PS3. Supposedly this was a defect in a whole run of the Blu-Rays, meaning it is likely the disc and not the PS3. However since it does work in stand-alone players, it also might be some bug in the PS3 implementation. Whatever the case, it is a major problem because, from what I understand, Samsung is not issuing replacements (since it only comes in the bundle). Plus many people are buying copies off eBay, in which case there is no warranty at all. Pretty crappy situation all around.

Also, I too have noticed that somehow 3D Blu-Ray looks more impressive at home than in the theater. Not sure why, but the 3D effect looks better on my 22" Zalman than on the big-screen. I will have to watch some more movies to be certain but, so far, home 3d is where its at. There are a number of disc coming out next month so that should get you busy.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Thanks cybereality, for the additional confimation that an incompatability exists.

In those settings I listed above for the Monsters Vs aliens 3d blu-ray. The last line
24P Direct In: 96 hz. Has the option for 48hz, 60hz, and 96hz. I'm not exactly sure what this does. But when set to 48Hz there is a very slight bit of ghosting in the imaging. At 60hz there's even less ghosting. At 96hz there is no ghosting. This 3D blu-ray is the first time I've noticed this setting available. I'm actually thinking its changing the shutter speed. And the higher the better. Anyone know for sure?
I watched all the trailers for "how to train your dragon" and "shrek 4" from this disc.
and there's no ghosting. So I'm thinking that original Panasonic demo disc is now kicked to the curb. I may never pull it out and show someone it agian. Monsters Vs aliens all the way.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents

Return to “3D Console Gaming”