My PS3 3D Gaming Experience

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: My PS3 3D Gaming Experience

Post by Chiefwinston »

3D gaming.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Chow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Wow! Great captures!
Any doubt which is your fave game for the moment?
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Forgot this one.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Well I completed the journey through Crysis 2 last night. And my copy of mortal Kombat arrived, also. I got it off of scam bay for $32. Yeah its full of fake 3D. Some of it doesn't hold up to well in the cut scenes. But the actual kung fu fighting has fun plastered all over it. It is quite bloody and violent. Probably not appropriate for all ages. Tho I'm old enough and I kinda dig this game. I think its a nice addition to the collection.

Finish Him
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I don't like these games and their bogus 3D. Developers should go big or go home.
artox
Cross Eyed!

Post by artox »

So MK doesn't do true 3d, big deal....but when Uncharted 3 arrives 3d gaming goes mainstream. All the comments from E3 this year have been - uuu, aaa, awesome and I've seen the 3d trailer form (sadly not the one from this year) and have to say that with its great "camera work" uncharted 3 will push the boundaries for native streroscopic experience.
I suppose that if an algorithm for managing separation and convergence in specific scenes to make autofocus usable existed it native stereoscopy wouldn't be such a necessity.
PS.:
wow definitely have to finish motorstorm :)
Last edited by artox on Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
lnrrgb
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by lnrrgb »

How are you grabbing those PS3 stereo captures? Does MA have a 3D capture built into it?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

artox wrote:I suppose that if an algorithm for managing separation and convergence in specific scenes to make autofocus usable existed it native stereoscopy wouldn't be such a necessity
I think it's pretty easy to do, you just need to know the scale of the scene, the size of the display and the position of the viewer to get this right.

The problem is people don't necessarily want the same settings, most of them seem to prefer non-realistic stereo parameters in order to artificially enhance the depth effect. You can see that when looking at screenshots that are posted here by different members of the forum.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Yes, the shots are my experiments with 3D from a single camera.

As are these Wipe Out HD shots- experimental.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

I don't follow... ...experimental shots from a handheld camera?? I'd say the experiment is a success! But I still don't get how you are getting the PS3 to cooperate.
Vic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vic »

download the 3D Uncharted3 reveal and E3 trailers from the US PSN store, they look AMAZING! not only will it be the best looking game ever (UC2 was unbelievable and made my PS3 fan hit 100%) but UC3 will take those amazing graphics and put the same amount of effort into making sure the 3D has the same kind of treatment. Naughty Dog are all quality, they push the PS3 hardware to the limit and they don't deliver anything under 10/10. Just download those UC3 trailers from the PSN store and prepare yourself. Best 3D I've ever seen.

What TV are you using Chief? because Wipeout is the worst looking 3D game for me, the ghosting is so bad it's unplayable. I don't have this problem with ANY other game, only Wipeout. I'm using a Samsung LED, UA55C. I downloaded the 3D Sony trailer and Wipeout looks perfect in 3D in the trailer, but the game itself has too much ghosting. Motostorm Apoc also had perfect 3D in it's trailer, but the game has ghosting too.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

lnrrgb wrote:I don't follow... ...experimental shots from a handheld camera?? I'd say the experiment is a success! But I still don't get how you are getting the PS3 to cooperate.

Here's what I did. I paused the game. I then went to the in game screen shot/photo taker. I snap one right eye photo. I horizontally translated the camera using the targeting circle as a guide for how much to move the camera to the left. I snapped another photo for the left eye. I exported the photo's to a usb stick and combined the two in MS Paint. Wolaa, stereo 3D.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

well, thx for the explaination... but I must just not understand something about 3D on the PS3. Those pics look 3D to me though. Are you taking pics while holding your glasses in front of your camera lens? I guess you'd have to be, so it is kinda nooby for me to ask. I sure wish Sony would see the value in adding a feature for grabbing 3D shots, considering how much they are pushing this along... and how many games offer screen captures. Lot of work to get those!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

yeah its a manual step by step process. I'm surprised at how well they turned out.

Vic and Artox, I have played through the Uncharted games. They are superb. I'm going to refrain from viewing previews or playing the beta that I have access too. I'll simply buy the game when it comes out. Previews often times ruin movie and gaming experiences for me. We have a lot of big 3D games coming this fall. I'm also, looking forward to Resistance 3. The first two were fantastic games. Naughty Dog and Insomniac have made great exclusives for the PS3. Their games are great from beginning to end.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Ha Ha, well I broke my rule about not watching the 3D trailer for Uncharted 3. I watched it yesterday. We are just over 1 year for Sony doing 3D with their console. I must say they are getting a lot more quality 3D than I was expecting. It goes to show that a lot can be achieved with good code writing. The last few releases I have really enjoyed. For those that have never played the Uncharted games. They are highly polished games. There more like interactive movies. With a story, plot, and action through out. The 2 Uncharted games really show what Sony can do. They now have a high quality interactive game engine that can be used in all sorts of different ways. I'm sure the Uncharted series is going to have a long long history. And yeah the 3D in the trailer looks real good.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Well its been a good shopping week for me. There are a few games out there that I'm after for my collection. I found this one at my favorite store Toys-R-Us. I almost bought the light saber and megatron mask instead. But I figured I'll get those later. So I ordered and had delivered this very fine title. Now a while back I tried the game Top Spin 4. A fine game. It just didn't have the quality 3D that I like to see. I really didn't see any 3D with that title. So I tried this new title called Virtua Tennis 4. For those that are interested a 3D demo is available at the playstation store for free. This game does have Move controller support. Now In my opinion this tennis game kicks Top Spin 4 to the curb. I really like the quality 3D and Move controller support of Virtua Tennis 4. And you can order this title for $25 with free shipping from Toys-R-Us. A great deal and one I couldn't pass up. A great 3D indoor tennis game. I'll put some more time into it and report back. Obviously, tennis isn't for everyone. If you have the ability to enjoy these specialty titles- this is a first rate 2011 3D game with excellent move support. I'll see if I can make some 3D photo's , also. It does appear to be dual render 3D to me.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I took a sneek peek at the Uncharted 3 Multiplayer beta this weekend. Unfortunately, I was at my second home for the weekend which doesn't have the 3D Panasonic plasma. So I only got to peek at the 2D game play- which is excellent. I'm not really sure if you can play the beta with 3D just yet. I'm going to give it a try tonight tho. Its kinda hard for me to get excited about Multi-player deathmatch. There are simply many gaming options for that kinda game play. And they are all excellent in that regard. Take killzone 2 and 3 or Crysis, and even Call of dukey for instance. I'm certianly going to buy Uncharted 3 the first day. I just don't think I'll be playing the Multi-player online deathmatch much.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Call of Doodie.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

You have two homes? If you sold one you could have basically anything you want for your U3DGR ;). Or is this "second home" just a friend's/relative's you frequent? I'd much rather have all the electronics I want than a second home. Of course, I just want a single fully automated room stuffed with electronics so I can escape into the metaverse like Hiro Protagonist and Vitaly Chernobyl in Snow Crash 8-).
artox
Cross Eyed!

Post by artox »

You can also play the co-op campaign online :)
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Yes Aphradonis, technically I could go to the store and buy what ever I want. But I have kids and gandkids that I like to spoil. Thier needs come before mine. Which is the way I like to handle it. Believe me I have plenty of toys. Though I can't get the light saber and Megatron mask out of my thoughts.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Virtua Tennis 4 has no 3D adjustments. You have the option to turn it on or off. With it turned on it is excellent 3D in my estimation. Its certianly as good as lets say Avatar the Game. Some game modes allow you to use the move controller. Theres a wackey arcade game mode that doesn't allow for move support. So basically the game uses a game pad and at times the move controller. For a straight up indoor one on one tennis match the move controller works very well for me. To the point were I believe I'm putting spin on the ball when I return it. I played for about 6 hours last night. Make sure you clear out some room and have the strap on. Cause you'll be swinging and moving alot.

I finally picked up this title also, I rented it a while back. I picked it up from my local game stop for a cool $25. Definately a good bargin. Wow I got loads a 3D games to make my way through now.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

No 3D settings? Fail.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Okay, I just picked this up. I played the demo a few months back. It looked interesting then and now I'm going to play it through. Says on the package that it will work with my Sharp Shooter controller. I was at the store @ 11:00pm last night when I spotted this one for $19.95. I thinking that there is a good chance it was mis-marked. Because Ive been bargain shopping for it for the past month. The lowest Ive seen it is around $35 on scam bay. Well its mine now. I've read various mixed reviews regarding this one. I didn't have time last night to check any of it out. But I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to do the single player campaign first.

See you cats in 3D
cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Vic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vic »

That's the ONLY game that doesn't slow the framerate down by half when it 3D! It actually stays at 30fps whether it's in 2D or 3D, unlike just about every other 3D game. They actually put a lot of work into the 3D for this game and it shows, looks great. This is what Sony wanted, they said a lot of devs are adding 3D just for the hell of it, but it takes a lot of work to get it right, that's why some games look bad and some like Socom look awesome.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Well I started my journey through SOCOM 4 last night. I fired up the plasma and the PS3 around 9:30 pm. Which is kinda late to start gaming for me. It took me a good 45 min. to get the stereo 3D dialed in to my liking. The game has various pre-set 3D settings if one choses that path. It also, has 2 adjustment settings called 3D effect and another called 3D depth. There's a preset setting called "deep" that I have adjusted a little into a custom setting with a tich more depth. The game has a nice gamma calibration menu, that when set properly contributes mightily to reducing and in my case eliminating ghosting. And so after my 45 min. ritual at the visual settings I have arrived at what I believe are my maximum 3D settings. And well I like the way the game looks. I would like a little more depth and seperation- lol thats really nothing new though for stereo 3D gamers. And so here's the kicker. Its clearly, 2D+depth 3D. So I don't feel the 3d is of the quality that can be attained with dual render. Yet its becoming clearer to me these programmers are incrementaly closing the gap with dual render tech and it kicks anaglyph to the curb. And next up was getting the sharp shooter controller honed and polished into a fine killing machine. Now, I have played through Killzone 3 twice with my sharp shooter controller. So I thought I was going to be all set and jump in and be a killing machine. But Killzone 3 is a FPS. SOCOM 4 is a third person shooter. And the controls are handled just a bit differently. There is a multitude of adjustments that can be made in SOCOM 4. This game clearly is designed for the sharp shooter controller. After I adjusted my turn speed, aim speed, sensitivity, and many many other fine adjustments. I can say the software of the game is an improvement to what I already liked from my Killzone 3 experience. 3D + Sharpshooter controller is for me KICK @SS gaming. It took a bit of time for me to get the controller to my liking. I'm going to say about 1 hour of effin around with it. I will take this sharp shooter set-up over any gamepad or mouse/keyboard set-up. And so I reached the point of finally firing the game up and wreaking mayhem upon all I see. After all that set-up time I played through one level. The game looks really nice from my one level of play. I will tell you guys I play all my shooters on the hardest level available. And well the first thing I noticed was superb and challenging A.I. This is no stinking turkey shooter. The game brings it. And it brings it good. One last note, the game is in general a third person shooter. But when in battle there's a button that brings your gun sights up and you can fight and aim in first person mode, which I find to be a plus for the game. I'll fill ya in more once I get more game time.

cheers everyone
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Sounds cool.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

SOCOM 4: Navy Seals.
I had to take a break from gaming for a couple of weeks. But I have returned to this game for the past few nights. I'm normally not to thrilled with modern shooters like Call of duty/Battlefield/Bad Company/Home Front/Medal of Honor/..ect...Now I do play them. But I like the sci-fi shooters more. I prefer my enemies to have 4 to 6 arms and to be as tall as a building. But SOCOM 4 is a great game in my opinion. It has been VERY challenging. Which I feel is a strong plus. I see IGN gives this game a 7.0 rating. I'm going to give it an 8.0/8.50. I'm playing in 3D and with the Sharpshooter controller that I have adapted too. The addition,of those 2 elements is significant- for me anyways. Its taken a rather boring genre and added the spice back into it. The 3D is 2D+depth. And its probably the best example of this 3D technique that I have seen. Much more depth and fewer artifacts than Crysis 2.
And one final note. Resistance 3 is coming really soon. I can't wait. I played the first two Resistance games. They are excellent. Resistance 3 will support 3D and the Sharpshooter controller. Resistance 3 will be in my hands Sept. 6th.
Well its off to search the net for some walkthrough help. I'm kinda stuck on a level in SOCOM 4. Like I said its challenging. And I'm at a level thats kickin my ass.

Peace
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Okay, I finished up SOCOM 4- great game. Now its time to move on. What we have here is a sequel. Its Resistance 3.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

This game does support 3D+ sharpshooter controller. Now I have played resistance 1 and 2 all the way through. Just superb FPS game play. I give those two games a 9.0 each. Heres a shot of godzilla in action from Resistance 2. If you played the game and got to the Chicago level you got to fight this bad boy. This game sequence is one of my top moments in any game that ive ever played- yeah its that good.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Now here's the downer. I picked this game up today. And I won't be able to start until tommorow. All I get to do is stare at the box tonight. Cool 'eh.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I hope its a nice box at least.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

RESISTANCE 3:
The wait is over. Cybereality the box is kinda uninspiring. I’ve seen cool box art- and this isn’t one of them. Well, all that I say here is preliminary. I’ll give my final opinion once I complete the story/campaign mode. I am playing the game in the hardest difficulty with 3D + a sharpshooter controller. I spent about an hour adjusting my 3D settings and calibrating my sharpshooter controller. Resistance 3 is a first person shooter. I usually fiddle with all the settings over and over through the first 5 minutes. Until it all feels just right. The games graphics at times look a little fugly and out dated. This is very apparent at the beginning of the game. It’s a grim world setting: a world devoured by freaky aliens. At the beginning the graphic are not Killzone 3 quality or SOCOM 4 either, as I moved through the opening story and into killing freaky aliens. The graphics improved. Kind of strange, cause at the beginning your under ground living cave like and the graphics look bad at times: and when you move up to the surface and start battling hoards of alien scum- the game looks great. So there is a range of graphical quality. I’ll say there’s 10% that doesn’t look so good followed by 60% that looks real good and another 30% that looks great. The combat and action area’s are were the better looking graphics reside. The game does seem to have a competent action packed story unfolding. Now Insomniac studios has in there prior Resistance games, lead you along in the story only to come up upon spectacular game sequence that knock your socks off. I have not been in the zone yet, though the game has been fun and interesting. I played for 6 hours last night. I finally, put the controller down at 2:00 am and said- hmm I gotta go to work in the morning. So how’s the 3D? Well it is dual render during game play, and looks fine and acceptable. The cut-scenes, however, are 2D + depth 3D and it shows. The in game 3D looks better to me. The games controls are nice and comfy. The weapons do feel nice. I did have one glitch in the game though. I came through a section and destroyed everything that moved. I spent the next 30 to 45 minutes looking for my way forward. I proceeded to touching everything, jumping everywhere, blasting everything once more, and look under every rock. I was stuck. I replayed the moment and wow my partner kicked open a door and I was back in the swing again. The game glitched. And so tonight I’ll give those pesky aliens more hell. I don’t feel I’m anywhere near the main heart of this game. So it is as I said preliminary.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Cool man. Still don't have a PS3 yet. Probably get one for the HMZ-T1.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I spent another night with Resistance 3. I haven’t finished the game. So my final opinion is still not rendered. But I’ll fill you in were my thinking is. Based on the 3D graphics this game will not get a 10 from me. Nor a 9. Not even an 8. The highest might be 7.5. I’m disappointed in the graphics. There’s been some areas were frame rates have slipped, not good. The game play and great looking creatures are the only thing keeping me interested. I’ll finish the game.
Insomniac Games this is to you. I’m disappointed in you. What are you thinking using an old graphics engine in a 2011 game. We gamers expect much more.

UUGHHHHH
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

I've been 3D gaming on my PS3 now for almost six months. I use the Samsung HL67A with the awesome Viewsonic DLP link glasses. I say awesome because they sync perfectly with this TV. I don't know why but I went through three pairs of glasses and these provide incredible 3D with ZERO, thats right zero ghosting.

Anyway, I play every 3D game the PS3 has and the image quality is superb, especially if you have your display calibrated correctly.

I will spend hour and hours with Motorstorm and Super Stardust as well as MLB and Killzone. When the HMD comes out, I gotta say its going to get better.

Can't wait.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Well I've kicked Resistance 3 to the curb. I'll finish it sometime soon. I may bring the difficulty level down to see if I can get a better frame rate. For now though, its disappointingly kicked to the curb. I have moved on to this.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

Chiefwinston wrote:Well I've kicked Resistance 3 to the curb. I'll finish it sometime soon. I may bring the difficulty level down to see if I can get a better frame rate. For now though, its disappointingly kicked to the curb. I have moved on to this.
good move!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I rented this one. I've heard good things about it. I played about an hour of each game. There's two here if you didn't know. They both look good and the 3D is definately dual render and looks nice. I will give the 3D a 8.25 rating. Any one looking for a good 3D experience these two will deliver it. Now I do feel the 3D is good and a lot of gamers will like these titles. So this is only my preference for gaming. I don't like the pacing, the music, the subtitles, the general anime feel to the games. I know a couple of hours isn't a lot of time to dedicate to these title. Its just not my type of games. So once again I have moved on........

Peace
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents

Return to “3D Console Gaming”