My PS3 3D Gaming Experience

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: My PS3 3D Gaming Experience

Post by Chiefwinston »

So you think your a tough guy. You think you can kick everyone's @ss. Your no girly man. Your a bad as mo fo. Heck your wallet probably says Bad Mo Fo on it.

And so we dive into the outlandish world of The Fight: Lights Out. This is really an over the top acting wise fight game that uses 2 move controllers. The production and game design is top notch. You will have to practice and study how the movement of the 2 move controllers correlates to your on screen fighter. It does take time and patience to get to a point were your on screen fighter is doing what you want. It can work quite well. The down side is you'll be so worn out from fighting with the air. That you'll probably last about 10 minutes and have to take a break. And this brings me to a major design flaw with the game. Once your tired how do you play the game any further. I didn't see any way to use a standard controller with this game. So once your too tired to swing your arms anymore, there's no way to continue playing.
And that brings us to (drum roll please) the 3D. Yes folks we have a winner here in the 3D department. It has proper 3D. The 3D actually looks really pleasing to my eye's. If one really gets into this title you will need some type of shutter glasses strap to secure the expensive glasses to your noggin. The 3D does appear to be dual render.
And so I only had a couple of hours to sample the game because of time contraints. My opinion is that its a dud. But when the price comes down to the $10-$20 range I will be buying it. I'm going to use it for some much needed exercise. I'm not fat. But getting some movement wouldn't hurt me at all. I don't see myself using any of the current exercise games that are on the market right now. This one I think will be my exercise game. So that will be my motivating factor for owning this one.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
lnrrgb
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by lnrrgb »

I am downloading the Motorstorm Apocalypse Single Player demo as we speak, off the EU PSN store. FYI

edit: pretty impressive, sadly though, I heard they were postponing retail release until very late in the year - Amazon shows a release date of 12/31/2011.

Sure hope they are blowing smoke.
Vic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vic »

I tried to download the MS3D demo off the EU PSN but it was down last night (hackers), GRRRR. It's been delayed in NZ because of the damn earthquake, not even in our PSN store.

I also bought Ridge Racer 7, the 3D is barely noticeable, only the car is noticeable and the rest just looks bad. It's still a fun game, just don't buy it for the 3D.
artox
Cross Eyed!

Post by artox »

I just got Killzone 3 and Motorstorm Apocalypse and I'm loving the stereo. It is obvious from the first moment the games load up in stereo, that they were made with s-3d in mind. Pity Motorstorm sucks in terms of gameplay when compared to previous installments. Killzone 3 on the other hand is truly spectacular when the low resolution is taken out of the equation. It's good that one doesn't really notice it that much in the heat of the battle, but the aliasing issues on a 50'' tv are a bit too much and some textures are really blurred. Aside from this issue, the use of particle effects and the way the cut scenes are done with regard to camera angles is simply phenomenal. Once I started playing it I realized that I want all games to be s-3d ready on an production level and not have to use a driver. If you have a ps3 and a 3dtv this is a must-play title. Story-wise all reviews say it's worse than second and having just played through the second I can absolutely recommend checking it out for the great set-piece moments and challenging gameplay.
I guess now we wait for Uncharted 3 and a GOW 4 3d ;)
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Artox,make sure your at least 9 feet (2740mm) away from the display with Killzone 3. They have pulled every trick out of the hat to bring it in 3D. 9 feet allows the eye's and mind to do simple anti-aliasing for you. Your discription is exactly how I would describe it at less than 9 feet viewing distance. And playing killzone 3 with a sharpshooter controller just adds to the immersion for me. Simply a superb game. Enjoy.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

lnrrgb, thanks for the heads up. I recieved your post just after dinner last night and I downloaded and played it right away. I LOVE this game Motorstorm Apacolypse. I too have been looking for a release date for awhile. If the date you listed is actual. I'm going to pull the trigger and import it from my friends in europe. If the wait is more than a month I'm for sure going to import it. I currently own all the Motorstorms games for the PS3. I have enjoyed them all. this game is a perfect example of what can happen when the hardware is in place and is not a moving target. The software engineers, game designers, artist can then just go to town making a great game. I'm very exited to see games looking and playing this good with my Panasonic plasma and PS3. Its performing way beyond what I was expecting.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Thanks Vic, I'm going to take your advice with ridge racer 7. I'm throwing in the towel for now. I may import Motorstorm:Apacolypse instead.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Well I'm currently trying to play through a pile of games right now. First off, I'm still playing Crysis 2. I am having a GREAT time with this game. The demo does not reflect what you will experience with the actual game. I'm sure having a high definition VT25 helps. I'm playing for a few hours every night- so I'm deep in the game. Superb gaming. If your in doubt I'd suggest renting it. Thats how I approached it. I'm a convert. This is a great game on my VT25.

Games I'll follow up on the the future:
1)Mortal Kombat
2)Motorstorm: Apocalypse
3)SOOCOM 4 w/sharpshooter support
4)Red Faction: Battlegrounds

I have sampled all of these but I'll give a deeper assesment once I get some dedicated time to them. I will complete Crysis2 first. Before I move on.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
artox
Cross Eyed!

Post by artox »

Thanks for the idea Chief, and while moving a bit back from the screen will indeed make me notice the jaggies less it will also take me a bit out of experience. Sadly I haven't gotten around to buying a move and will probably buy a cockpit first ( I'm a huge racing fan) so the dualshock will have to suffice for now. Playing in low resolutions may be not as annoying in s-3d as it in plain 3d, but the mind doing anti-aliasing may be a bit of an exaggeration. I remember thinking 6x4 is enough 3d, bearing in mind that I don't have powerful enough hardware to handle more, but believe me 1920x1080 ( even SBS) is much better and 720p is pretty nice with AA. Just test a game in 1080p (SBS) and in 720p (frame-packed) without AA and you can very quickly spot the differences when you look at objects deeper in the screen. Killzone 2 is known for using MLAA in plain 3d and is obviously not using it in s-3d which is obvious the moment you decide to switch 3d off.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Hi artox, I too am looking to buy a cockpit. For me I have found 720P content is best viewed around the 9 foot (2743mm) distance. However, 1080P side by side content I can move up to around 5 feet (1525mm) from the screen. Thats with my eye sight and what I find to be pleasing. Its a much different than what can be done with a PC monitor. I'm sure each person may find a different layout that works best for them- which is good. I hope you enjoy Killzone 3. I played through it twice. I've beatin it at the elite level. Simply a superb game. I've played some on-line multiplayer, also. That too is kick @ss gaming.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Okay I've come across a release date in the US of A for Motorstorm: Apocalypse of May 3rd thats from Amazon.com. Unfortunatley, work has been very, very busy for me. I have not finished playing Crysis 2 yet. Work is preventing me from having the time to complete it. I am enjoying Crysis 2 though. It is an outstanding 3d game. Even with its faults, It could be my favorite game so far this year.

The good news is that once I get all my work business out of the way I'll be springing for a racing cockpit and probably a rocking PC with Nvidia triple surround 3D monitors. Should be great additions to the ultimate game room. I've got my fingers crossed that this will all fall in place.

There's a new demo for Red Faction: Battlegrounds at the PS3 store. The 3D looks quite nice. I think I'll pick this up for the game collection. Its not a AAA game title. But I'll get some good entertainment out of it certianly, my $10 worth.

So you won't hear much from me for a few weeks- but I'll be back.

cheers everyone (and play Cysiss 2- it won't hurt ya.)
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Vic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vic »

wow RFB has 3D?! I had no idea. It's free for us in NZ for Plus members, so it should probably be free for the US too, maybe next week if not now. (The KZ3 map pack was free for us, but wasn't free for the US until the 2nd week).
I grabbed it for the 4 player local multiplayer, so 3D will be even better! there's hardly any 3D multiplayer games.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

cheers everyone (and play Cysiss 2- it won't hurt ya.)

for the record we expect to get hi res texture, new AI , dx11, and stereo 3d on the pc.
http://www.pcgames.de/Crysis-2-PC-21310 ... ek-820808/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We 'd have some of that already if they choose not to scramble their stuff.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Well Tritosine2K, It really doesn't appear to me that you actually play any 3D games. I'm cool with that. I think 3D gaming is about the games and not the hardware. I think its about the artristry and new a fun game styles. Yes, I wish all 3D games had super killer seperation and convergence control. We are in a transitional period for 3D gaming. I hate to rain on the parade. But I have invested massive amounts of money into PC gaming hardware. All of that hardware is now obsoleted. I've crossed from current 3D hardware to obsolete hardware 3 times. Current PC 3D hardware is on the road to early obsolesence. The PC hardware vendors would like a less than 2 year life span. Its just business. The software guys need time to bring these games to life without constant hardware changes- thus the rise of console gaming. How many games will actually use DX11? Does it matter? It doesn't to me. And I buy and play all the time. Higher rez. graphics? so what. Its about the software for me. There are kick @ss games to play right now. Why wait. If your not pushing 3D content through your equipment why have it? Its just an expensive brick if you don't use it.
Having played quite a few triple A game titles over the last year and seeing this new reprojection technique I'll tell you kids straight up. It could be 3 to 5 years before we see a new console from Sony or Microsoft. And I personally believe its going to be 5 years. Don't confuse that as anything but my opinion. The reprojection technique should be viewed as just a transitional 3D technique until consoles can do a Crysis 2 level game using the brute force method. A future hybrid game engine using 2D+depth and dual render may be the way to go. There are effects and items with this technique that come across real well. But you would have to see and play the Crysis 2 3D game in order to understand what I'm trying to convey. Or one should continue playing all these perfect 3D games that are raining down everywhere. The Crysis 2 game is what it is 3D wise- its certainly not horrible. And remember its just my opinion- nothing more.

cheers everyone (there's no such thing as a perfect 3D game- just some really really good ones)
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I believe the next-gen consoles should be coming out for holiday 2014 at the latest. So until that time, have fun playing sub-720P@30FPS reprojected "3D". I'll stick to PC gaming.
mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mayaman »

Actually I've been enjoying the piss out of the 3D games on my PS3. With my Optoma GT720 and my suround screen now its even better. :D
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Okay time for some much needed 3D gaming. I've been busy with work and have had no time for games lately (8 weeks). All work and no play makes chief a dull boy. So I went to my local Block Buster Video store and rented The Green Lantern: Rise Of The Manhunters and Mortal Kombat. I rented the two of them for $12 for 5 nights. Its the way I check out games before I buy them. I have played the 3D demo version of the Mortal Kombat fight game. I would like to own it, but I don't feel its a $60 title. When it comes down to $20 to $30 then I'll add it to my ever expanding game collection.
So first up is a movie game- The Green Lantern: Rise Of The Manhunters. I have not seen the movie or seen previews of the movie nor do I now anything about the comic books and the characters. And so I ,apprehensively, rented this one- heck its only $6. Most movie games suck. I started this one late last night at 10:00 PM. I stopped playing at about 2:00 AM. I have found this to be one of those rare exceptions to movie games. Its not great, but it dosn't suck either. I like to check some of these movie games out because usually they are made quickly and with low budgets. And its interesteing to see what can be made with those constraints. This game looks to me as if it is using the God of War III game engine. Don't take that as an endorsment that this is as good as that game. Its not in my opinion. It just looks to me that they took the game engine and re-did all the art and characters from the Green Lantern. So I would classify this one as a platformer. Platformers are one of Sony's strong points in the gaming world. I would say the game play elements are very very similiar to God of War III. I actually think I'll probably play this one all the way through to the end. I'm not super excited about the game. I'm just happy to see that its at least competently made. And now for the 3D. Drum roll please...... We'll guys this one is fake 3D. Yup, fake as can be. The game has the 3D opton for anaglyph beside the hdmi 1.4 3D. I turned on the anaglyph mode for a few minute just to check it out. I was kinda suprised to see the games vibrant color palet was not destroyed. I switched back to my shutter glasses and played for probably 4 hours last night. I actually put my motorstorm games on the screen and switched back and forth with the Green Lantern: Rise Of The Manhunters. While the fake 3D here is inferior to the dual render games. The fake 3D looks to be competently done. It does have its faults and issues. But used with this platformer game engine. It does add considerably to the game experience. This game in 3D will appeal to boys around 11 to 12 years old and younger. They will digg it. I will be looking to buy this one for $20 when I can find it. So my verdict is give it a rental- play it for a few hours. You'll probably be suprised that its a competently made 3D game. And that fake 3D is getting better all the time.

cheers everyone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Well I played the entire Green Lantern Game. I'm going to give it a C+. The 3D is fake and has its flaws. But if this was just a plain 2D game it would not be interesting enough for me. There are area's of the game were the controls are a little squirrely. I am playing on a Panasonic VT25 50". And so almost all 3D content looks good to me. Its really quite an impressive display. I only had about 2 hours of game time with Mortl Kombat. Agian it looks really nice on my VT25. I'm going to buy the Mortal Kombat game ("finish Him"). I need a good fighting game and this one definetly fits the bill for me. The 3D is a little hit and miss. There are times it looks really good and other times its less pronounced. But Mortal Kombat is an over the top outragous fighter. With hours and hours of mindlessly violent fun gaming in 3D. Now finish him.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Did you guys here that?
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

It's calling my name.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

That MotorStorm game looks really nice. You can't really go wrong.
Vic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vic »

Motorstorm Apocalypse looks awesome graphics wise, but it's one of the worst racing games I've ever played. The handling on all vehicles is terrible! the environments have TOO much rubbish and debris that it's hard to see the road and tell what's simply junk and what's an actual obstacle in the road, so I ended up crashing heaps. And as the environment is always changing it's even harder to know exactly where to go, so all the debris really makes it even harder.. it's all made worse with the bad handling, you barely get a chance to get the way.

I'd recommend Split Second instead, this game was clearly trying to be that. You can even control the environmental events, unlike Motorstorm where you wait for them.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Okay tonight I begin my Motorstorm Apacolypse adventure. I picked this one up at my favorite store- Toy-R-us. If you order it online you can get it for $49.99. You can then go to your local store and pick it up a couple of hours later. Its a $10 dollar savings. I then loaded it up and went on-line to the Sony playstation store and bought all the new DLC for this game. I do already own all the prior MotorStorm games they are already in my collection. I have enjoyed all of them. They are arcade racer games. And very good ones at that. I'm starting to get filled up with high quality 3D racing games. This one was a no brainer for me to buy- rather than to rent. I have a lot of 3D games I'm going to buy. I'm just a cheapskate and I'll buy them as I get good deals on them.
Vic, there are 2 to 3 games available in the european region that are for sale on the playstation store. Do you have any ideas how I may purchase them from the states? I was thinking of using a Sony gift card and redeem it using one of my bogus Euro accounts. The games Id like are the following:
1)Top Darts- the european version supports 3D and move.
2) Flight control HD-the european version supports 3D.
It seems there are a couple of others but I cant think of them now.

Vic, It looks like I'm going to pick up the remastered prince of persia collection soon. Once I locate a blue ray copy. I prefer physical media over digital download. So I'm now searching for a good deal on that game.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Well I have bought my own copy of Mortal Kombat. Off of Scam Bay. Got it for $32. Seems like a mighty fair deal to me. Now we'll see if it shows up on my door step. Finish him.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Why do you prefer physical media?
Vic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vic »

you can buy UK and US PSN voucher codes here: http://www.maximuscards.com/itempage.php?cat=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've used it to buy a US $10 code and got it within a few hours. They're also the cheapest I've seen.

I also prefer a physical copy because it just feels better seeing what you've spent your money on, plus I can sell it later if I get bored of it, can't do that on PSN.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Okay Thanks guys. Could someone que up the 1973 MONTROSE album. lets go to song number 2- "Bad Motor Scooter".

Play this in the background. For optimal viewing pleasure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8T_PQoTC30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

It flies.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Its a bad motor scooter.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I'm gonna ride that bad moto scooter.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

It didn't hurt.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Vic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vic »

haha some of those were amazing to look at crosseyed :D especially the closeup of the scooter.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Some more pics of my Bad Motor Scooter.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I can just hear Sammy Hagar every time I fire up my new bike.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Baaaad Moootor Scoooter.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Ok, now those are some serious 3D shots. Now we're talking.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Alright that batch of shots were experimental. Here's some more. These ones require a little less crossing of the eyes.
Please restrart the "Bad Motor Scooter" song. I know -we heard it yesterday. But I like it so were going to hear it agian- thank you.

Play this in the backgound for maximum 3D pleasure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8T_PQoTC30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers everyone
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

ooohhh.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

aaahhhh
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Bad Motor Scooter- he he hee
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents

Return to “3D Console Gaming”