console gaming via pc idea

Daemon
One Eyed Hopeful

console gaming via pc idea

Post by Daemon »

I just got tridef connected through my pc and am astonished how some of my old vids look. Quite frankly, im sorta having a brainstorm, so bear with me.

I was reading over some old posts regarding second life and console gaming, and thought, why cant a 3d conversion software utilize the player controls, both with a console system and a pc app, like second life. Would it work if a 3d conversion app were to comandeer the the user controls to shift the user's point of view left and right to derive the images necessary for 3d conversion while allowing the user to imput control signals.

Something like fly by wire. The conversion software would act like an intermediary between the user and the game, both on the visual level and the control level, sending a command to cycle the view controls to derive the necessary visual data AND as a secondary function, pass the user's commands through?

The block chart I suppose would look like this:

cycle left
read user commands
cycle right
read user commands
cycle left
etc

Im not sure of the capabilities of an xbox 360, but it would seem that without user imputs, a program could interface with the controls to create 3d. Why couldnt it do it with user controls.

I hope you all can understand what im asking.

So an example setup would have both the controls and the video/audio signal from an xbox 360 fed into a pc. The Pc would, as a primary function, feed a signal through the xbox controls to shift the user view so that a 3d signal is derived, as a secondary function, the user controls fed into the PC would be passed through to the xbox. The video imputs to the pc would be changed into a format compatibler with the user's display and sent on their way.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: console gaming via pc idea

Post by PalmerTech »

For PC gaming, you can use Tridef, IZ3D, or Nvidia drivers.

Your idea might work for, say, generating 3D screenshots of a console game (Actually, this really intrigues me), but it would not work for most games, because you would need to swap between views tens or hundreds of times per second, and I have never seen a console game that lets you move back and fourth that fast.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: console gaming via pc idea

Post by Fredz »

I'm not sure I really understand what you're talking about, but this idea seems to be very similar to the eyeFX 3D adapter for the PlayStation 2. You can buy it there for $39.95 if you still own a PS2 : http://www.berezin.com/3d/playstation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”