Multi-projection 85hz?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
BHawthorne
Cross Eyed!

Multi-projection 85hz?

Post by BHawthorne »

Greetings, I'm new around here. My current setup is a 180 degree circular projection setup using Tri-SLI GTX470 and three Optoma EX525ST projectors. The projection setup uses advanced keystoning to achieve the circular projection using NTHUSIM Plus. I also have an analog TH2G and a digital TH2G to fall back on if 3DVS won't work for my particular setup. With the lastest nVidia driver my projectors seem to be able to do custom resolutions of 100hz and 120hz and the projectors show a lock at that in the OSD. I believe that my particular projector are only 85hz true though. What are my best options to achieve stereo 3D without a significant change of setup and hardware?

My current setup is shown at: http://nthusim.com/setup/bhawthorne-tri ... projection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S3D Multi-projector Gaming System:
Intel i7 930, EVGA E762 4-Way motherboard, NVIDIA GTX470 Tri-SLI, 3x Optoma GT720 projectors, 180-degree circular screen, NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit, NTHUSIM Plus 3.2, Windows 7 Pro 64
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: Multi-projection 85hz?

Post by tritosine5G »

Petrus uses 85hz , with his custom IR emitter, theres no flicker according to him. Plus 85hz DLP is better than 120hz , in one aspect, namely , the white segment of the colowheel is still used ( unused at 120hz) that results in 2x the brightness, 120hz pj 's have only 800 lumen in 3d mode.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/search.php? ... mit=Search

I'd try this too. ;) But im not in a hurry now, playing with audio stuff, and 120hz seems to be cool enough just yet.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
BHawthorne
Cross Eyed!

Post by BHawthorne »

Making curcuits to fix it is way over my head. I'd be willing to pay someone to make me the curcuits though.
Intel i7 930, EVGA E762 4-Way motherboard, NVIDIA GTX470 Tri-SLI, 3x Optoma GT720 projectors, 180-degree circular screen, NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit, NTHUSIM Plus 3.2, Windows 7 Pro 64
BHawthorne
Cross Eyed!

Post by BHawthorne »

Most of my problem is that I sort of grasp what I need but there are a ton of gaps in my reasoning in order to achieve it. I guess I'll systematically go through a list of questions until I understand. :)

Q: In order for nVidia 3D Vision to work is it keyed to look for the nVidia 3D Vision emitor? Can I use another emitor instead of the nVidia kit and still use nVidia 3D Vision and no 3rd party control panel drivers? (My reasoning behind not wanting to deal with 3rd party stereo drivers is that I'm already running ImmersaView NTHUSIM and I know current nVidia drivers work jsut fine with it. Adding in other variables such as 3rd party stereo drivers might break NTHUSIM functionality. I'd rather eliminate unkown variables from effecting my success.)

Q: Is the nVidia 3D Vision emitor capable of 85hz? If not, do I plug in both the nVidia 3D Vision emitor and a second one that does 85hz?

Q: Will the nVidia 3D Vision glasses work at 85hz? If so, what exactly do I need to achieve it?

Q: If the nVidia glasses don't work at 85hz, which would be the best wide angle consumer grade glasses to get?

While this forum exists to help people get up and running with 3D, like any forum the answers to questions are many times hidden quite deep in random threads. To help me dig to the core issues I post the above questions. ;)

In order to help others once I get this all figured out I plan on making a YouTube how-to video. :)
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

-that'd all work afaik with single display. IDK about surround. IDK about this project much either, i wanna try passive polarzied 60hz DLP now with iz3d.

-what happens to the emitter is that the usb connection is bypassed entirely. We only use the infrared transmitter , while the sync signal itself is obtained out of video cable. So in theory it works like DLP_link glasses, where the sync signal goes down in the chain.

Only look for Petrus posts , those contain everything.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

BHawthorne wrote:Q: In order for nVidia 3D Vision to work is it keyed to look for the nVidia 3D Vision emitor? Can I use another emitor instead of the nVidia kit and still use nVidia 3D Vision and no 3rd party control panel drivers?
I don't think you can use another USB emitter than the one NVIDIA provides or else a lot of people would be using their driver with other, less expensive systems.

There has been a thread about 3D Adventurer, a replacement for NVIDIA emitter + glasses at a lower price made by a company from Hong-Kong, but I don't think anyone has tried it yet.

As for 85Hz support, it seems both the emitter and the glasses support this from what I've read on some posts here, but you'd need someone to confirm it since I don't have 3D Vision nor a 85Hz DLP projector.

I think you would also need 3D Vision Surround to be able to handle three outputs in stereo. You can find the system requirements there. I don't know any other driver able to support three outputs in stereo 3D.
BHawthorne
Cross Eyed!

Post by BHawthorne »

I guess I'll ask the question in a simplier manner:

What do I need to do stereoscopic 3D glasses with three 85hz DLP projectors with a Tri-SLI GTX470 system?

So far the replies are muddying the issue more than helping with a definitive answer.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

To get a definitive answer you'd need someone who has already gone through all this, unfortunately I've never heard anyone talking about such a setup in this forum.

Still, it could be as simple as :
- get the 3D Vision kit ;
- download the 3D Vision driver ;
- setup 3D Vision Surround.

But you'd need to be sure that :
1 - your Optoma EX525ST projectors are compatible with the 3D Vision driver ;
2 - your Tri-SLI GTX470 and the rest of your configuration is compatible with 3D Vision Surround.

For 1, you projectors are not 3D Vision ready, so you'd need input from someone who owns both this projector and the 3D Vision kit to know if it's compatible.

For 2, provided that you have :
- Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit ;
- a SLI motherboard updated to the latest SBIOS, preferably the PCI-E 2.0 x16 as recommended by NVIDIA for best performance ;
- 2GB of RAM, 4GB being recommended for 64-bit operating systems ;
- three all digital (DVI, HDMI) or three analog (VGA) connectors but not a mix and match of digital and analog connectors ;
it should work considering the 3D Vision Surround requirements seem to indicate that a 3-way SLI GTX470 configuration is supported, but having a confirmation about this could be useful.

Or you can test it by yourself by buying a 3D Vision kit or finding someone who can lend you one.

Hope that helps more.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

nah 85hz is way more troublesome than that ;)

in the s3d dictionary , it'd look like

85hz : hard nut

:lol:
Petrus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Petrus »

tritosine wrote:Petrus uses 85hz , with his custom IR emitter, theres no flicker according to him. Plus 85hz DLP is better than 120hz , in one aspect, namely , the white segment of the colowheel is still used ( unused at 120hz) that results in 2x the brightness, 120hz pj 's have only 800 lumen in 3d mode.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/search.php? ... mit=Search

I'd try this too. ;) But im not in a hurry now, playing with audio stuff, and 120hz seems to be cool enough just yet.
There is flicker, but it is only visible in bright scenes.
And I had to deactivate the white segment too. If activated I get a brightness difference between left and right eyes on clear area on the picture. Only less than 1/2 (white segment is more than 1/4) of my colorwheel is used on each rotation :(

Do 120Hz projectors work with the full colorwheel @ 85Hz and keeping the sync ?
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

I can't test it without DLP_Link glasses. With USB all I get Is desync, even though brightness is still there. I think everything is resampled to 60 / 120hz. I dont hear the colorwheel spinning on different speeds....should I?

So this tells me it won't work. But. Theres that old megabuck 120hz pj, with analog VGA in, depthQ.
Those guys say that the pj has 2000 lumen in 2d mode , and 2000 in 3d mode.

This seems not the case with projectiondesign pj's, and those are every bit as professional (and megabuck) as depthQ.

Saw ozone's topic?
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yet to read it thru, but I know ozone has fpga experience ;)
Petrus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Petrus »

Yes, if the projector doesn't change the color wheel speed, The input is re sampled to 60Hz or 120Hz

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”