I'm seriously considering the Samsung PN50C7000

Own a 3D HDTV? Trying to learn about the latest and greatest? Post here!
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

I'm seriously considering the Samsung PN50C7000

Post by Anthony1 »

I'm seriously considering getting a Samsung PN50C7000. Mainly due to pricing. I've only seen this TV demoed once, and the ghosting was disappointing, compared to the Panasonic plasma. However, this was before a firmware update that supposedly corrects alot of the ghosting issues. Still, I would absolutely have to see one of these in action before jumping on the bandwagon, but I'm definitely interested. I can buy one of these at Amazon.com for $1600, with no tax and free shipping. Very tempting.

The thing is, I just bought a new TV for the living room only a few years back. Late November 2008, actually, a Samsung PN50A450 plasma. It's supposed to be 3D ready, but it won't really work with any of this new 3D stuff, unless I try to find some workaround to get it to work, but even if it did work, the 3D just isn't that good on this Samsung. I don't really think it's worth all the drama. So, I'm thinking of just taking the loss on it, and selling it off. I paid about $950 for the thing in late November 2008, and I'd be lucky to get $600 for it. So, it would basically cost me a cool grand, just to bump it up to 1080p resolution, and having a more legit 3D mode that is compatible with ESPN 3D and PS3 3D, etc, etc.

Still, I just might have to do it. I need to find a retailer somewhere around town that has this TV with the latest firmware, and try to get another demo. Hopefully next to the Panasonic, so I can compare them side by side.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: I'm seriously considering the Samsung PN50C7000

Post by DmitryKo »

Anthony1 wrote: I need to find a retailer somewhere around town that has this TV with the latest firmware
The firmware is user-updatable, so you may just want to find the nearest store and try to persuade the sales people to update it themselves.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-v ... ab=support" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Well I haven't seen this set myself so I can't speak to the quality but it seems like an alright kit. Like you said I have heard there was ghosting but that should be mitigated slightly by the new firmware. I know myself that I have considered this TV and it has all the features you could want but the ghosting reports still scare me. For the price and all things considered its probably not a bad buy. And its probably still a really good 2D set also (which is important given the lack of any 3D content). So I am not sure what to tell you, the choice is yours.
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

One thing that I'm really concerned about this set is it's black level. I've heard the black level is really weak. God, I just wish I could afford the extra grand for the Panasonic.
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

I think I've changed my mind on the Samsung. The way I understand it, the Panasonic VT25 absolutely kills the C8000 series, much less the somewhat weaker C7000 series. The bad news, is that the Panny costs about $700 more. One bit of good news, is that the Panny comes with one pair of 3D glasses ($150 retail value - $100 real world value), and you can do the mail in for Coraline and Ice Age.
I know it's possible to get the PN50C7000 for $1600 out the door, and I've heard it's possible to get the TC-P50VT25 for $2300 out the door. It's a $700 difference, but if you factor in the glasses ($100) and selling the two 3D BD's on Ebay ($100), it's basically a $500 difference. Well, well, well... worth the extra $500 thrown in. The 3D is superior, and the 2D picture quality is vastly superior. Basically, the Panny plasmas are the best (consumer level) 3D tv's currently available.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Ive had a brief look at the samsung and the ghosting was horrendous. Possibly worse than my old sammy like yours.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

Okta wrote:Ive had a brief look at the samsung and the ghosting was horrendous. Possibly worse than my old sammy like yours.
Are you talking about the Samsung plasmas? I know the ghosting is very bad on the LCD's that haven't had the newest firmware update from Samsung. The ghosting on the plasmas is a little bit concerning, if they don't have the newest firmware either, but I wouldn't all the ghosting horrendous, at least in regards to their plasmas.

Return to “3D HDTVs”