Forum Structure

This website is for our members. Do you have some design ideas? Are there features you would like to see? What additions would drive this site forward? POST YOUR IDEAS HERE!
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Forum Structure

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

Our forums have grown big...maybe too big? :o

Are there sections you think we should get rid of or restructure? How can we make MTBS' forums more effective for new as well as tenured members?

All ideas welcome.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Re: Forum Structure

Post by cybereality »

Personally I think the forum has a ridiculous amount of sub-sections that mostly go unused but maybe thats just me.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I know!

We need to clean it up.

If you have ideas, etc. - don't hesitate!

Regards,
Neil
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

I guess you could simplify the forum structure by deleting/regrouping many sections that have very few posts.

Maybe you should regroup all the hardware sections regarding displays (and glasses) into one single common "3D displays" (you don't need a separate section for each)
Have one "other 3D related accessories" (3D webcams, BluRay players, 3D cameras, etc...)

Bring the DIY section right next to the other hardware sections.

Get rid of the non-3D related tech support sections, drop everything in the "off topic" section
Make the "off topic" more visible, put it at the same level as the general section

Delete the programming subsections to make it more simple, regroup everything in a single "programming for 3D" section
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

Yes, the forums have become too cluttered. I propose that the most popular forum sections should be reorganized, unpopular groups and forums should be merged, and 3rd-level subforums should be eliminated.

I don't think it's a good idea to merge subforums in 3D Hardware just yet.

1. MTBS Article Responses is one of the most popular forum groups, so all the subforums should probably be moved one level up and make a new top-level group.

Rename the group to MTBS News & Article Responses.

Move S3D movie topics from User Contributed Stereoscopic 3D News & Announcements to S-3D Cinema News, move both forums to MTBS News & Article Responses.

Move MTBS Forum Announcements & FAQ to MTBS News & Article Responses.

2. Make MTBS' 3D Game Analyzer & Recommended Games Settings a top-level group.

3. The Development Corner and General Gaming Enthusiasts! are quite underpopulated and some forums didn't have a new post for 2 years.

Rename Technical Support to Software & Technical Support.

Move existing topics in Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support to relevant forums in Software & Technical Support and Stereoscopic 3D Hardware.

Move Stereoscopic 3D CG Art to Software & Technical Support.

Merge all the subforums in the Stereoscopic 3D Software Development Corner into the parent forum, rename the topics as necessary, rename the forum to S3D Programming and move it to Software & Technical Support.

Merge subforums in AMD/ATI, NVIDIA and Operating Systems to their parent forums and move them to Software & Technical Support.

Merge subforums in 2D/3D Conversion into the parent forum.

Merge Sound Cards with General Hardware Technical Support.

4. S3D @ Home group is not popular too, so its subforums should be moved elsewhere.

Move Do it Yourself! to 3D Hardware, move relevant topics on software (if any) to relevant subforums in Software & Technical Support.

In General Talk About S-3D Movies & Simulators, move S3D movie topics to S3D Cinema News, and move Simulator topics (if any) to 3D Hardware.

Move Favorite Online S-3D Videos to MTBS News & Article Responses

5. Re-organize General Stereoscopic Discussion.

Off-topic Discussion should be moved up one level, it doesn't belong to Stereoscopic Discussion.

MTBS Website Ideas should be a subforum in MTBS Forum Announcements & FAQ.

"Stereoscopic 3D Industry Needs" should be moved up one level, and probably re-dedicated to "S3D Gaming Alliance".

It's probably worth it to walk down the General Stereoscopic Discussion and move most recent topics related to specific hardware and software to relevant subforums in Stereoscopic 3D Hardware and Software & Technical Support.
Neil

Post by Neil »

These are good ideas.

I'm working remotely, so I will do more cleaning when I get home.

Regards,
Neil
Neil

Post by Neil »

Ok!

Check it out now. Is it better?

Regards,
Neil
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Some more suggestions.
Merge 3D projectors with all the other 3D displays and remove the sub-sections. just put everything in "3D displays"

Merge 3D BluRay, 3D cameras/webcams with "other 3D hardware", do not create sub-sections, just put everything in "other 3D hardware"
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
Neil

Post by Neil »

I added the projector section the way you recommended. I'm not sure about the others. I think the future is going to be filled with diverse equipment choices, and it will be hard to find the right information if everything is in a single forum.

Regards,
Neil
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

It's certainly better than it was before (hopefully no threads have been lost), however 3rd-level forums are still confusing. Most popular forums do not have 3-level structure, it's a much simplier 2-level structure with groups and forums.

I specifically find it annoying that it's hard to see new posts in the most popular forums like General Stereoscopic Discussion from the front page - if it were on the 2nd level instead of 3rd level, things would be much easier.

Return to “MTBS Website Ideas”