Anyone using PS3 for 3D gaming and blu-ray?

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
GoldChain
Two Eyed Hopeful

Anyone using PS3 for 3D gaming and blu-ray?

Post by GoldChain »

So, as a PS3 owner, I'd be interesting in hearing from anyone using the PS3 for 3D gaming and movies. What sort of display are you using, any issues you may have, what your thoughts are on the quality of the games, etc.....

GC
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Anyone using PS3 for 3D gaming and blu-ray?

Post by cybereality »

I think this thread is a bit premature. I don't believe any 3D PS3 games come out until the summer and BluRay shortly following.
GoldChain
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by GoldChain »

I've read in other forums of people playing Avatar 3D on PS3 with Mits 73" DLP using XpanD DLP Link glasses.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/Play ... p/45260622
http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/Play ... p/44876585

Also, 3D Blu-Ray movies are starting to get out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Blu-Ray-Monsters-Vs ... 45f2432e7a

I saw Monsters-vs-Aliens in 3D at a store the other day..... it's available as part of a promotion, but point being if that's out now, then it shouldn't be long before other BD movies hit in 3D

You are correct that Sony is saying the update for PS3 for 3DBD is coming later, June timeframe....... Either way, I'm just trying to get ahead of the curve. :mrgreen:

GC
DevilMaster
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DevilMaster »

This page (in Italian) says that stereoscopic 3D versions of Wipeout HD, Pain and Stardust HD have been released. Is it true? Did anyone try them? Are they available for in Europe as well as the US? Do they work with any of the HMDs available from VRealities?
pete12
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pete12 »

DevilMaster wrote:This page (in Italian) says that stereoscopic 3D versions of Wipeout HD, Pain and Stardust HD have been released. Is it true? Did anyone try them? Are they available for in Europe as well as the US? Do they work with any of the HMDs available from VRealities?
Yeah they came out the other day. They cost £24 as a pack which also includes a motorstorm 3d demo. If you already own the games its free to update! Unfortunately i have no way of testing at the minute. Also on the US psn you can download the motorstorm demo on its own, for free. I think the motorstorm demo is only part of the £24 pack on the EU stores at the moment.
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

I will be trying out all the PS3 3D games shortly. I bought a Panasonic TC-P50VT20 on Sunday, but I'm putting it through it's "break-in" process before trying any of the video games. I did watch a tiny bit of World Cup Soccer in 3D (couldn't help myself), but now I'm running a "break-in" dvd on the plasma. There is quite a bit of debate as to whether "break-in" dvd's are still needed with the current modern day plasmas, but I still like to err on the side of caution. I hope to run the break-in dvd for at least the first 100 hours of use, but after that I'll most likley try out the various PS3 games in 3D. As soon as I try them out, I'll report back.
DevilMaster
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DevilMaster »

I'd also like to know if they are compatible with the nVidia 3D Vision suite (I read in a blog that someone played the PS3 version of Avatar in stereoscopy with the nVidia 3D Vision...)

P.S.
I read in the Vuzix forum that Avatar is compatible with the Wrap920. Did anyone here experiment with that?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

DevilMaster wrote: P.S.
I read in the Vuzix forum that Avatar is compatible with the Wrap920. Did anyone here experiment with that?
Well the Wrap920 supports side-by-side 3D video and the Avatar game supports side-by-side formats like Sensio. So yeah, it should work.
DevilMaster
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DevilMaster »

cybereality wrote:
DevilMaster wrote: P.S.
Well the Wrap920 supports side-by-side 3D video and the Avatar game supports side-by-side formats like Sensio. So yeah, it should work.
What about the other stereoscopic games?
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

DevilMaster wrote:What about the other stereoscopic games?
Our old friend Invincible Tiger has a side-by-side mode, so that'll work too.

It would be nice if all the newer PS3 games would also support side-by-side, but it wouldn't surprise me if most end up only supporting HDMI 1.4 frame packing (especially the PS3-exclusive games).

I expect Crysis 2 will have a full set of 3D output formats, but that's just a hunch.
DevilMaster
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DevilMaster »

phil wrote:it wouldn't surprise me if most end up only supporting HDMI 1.4 frame packing (especially the PS3-exclusive games).
Is any HMD compatible with that format?
pete12
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pete12 »

I hope non exclusives give a full set of 3d options, just played Invincible Tiger on the ps3 using my new dlp-link glasses with my acer h5360 and it actually worked. Its the first time I've had anything working on it so I'm happy at the minute, would love it if future games support it.
As far as I'm aware there is no reason why developers can't give us a full set of 3d options is there?
DevilMaster
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DevilMaster »

Will 3D in the HDMI 1.4 format work if the PS3 is connected to a PC monitor through an HDMI to DVI connector? I really want to play PS3 games in stereoscopy, but I'd rather not pay $3000 for a 3D-compatible TV!
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

DevilMaster wrote:Will 3D in the HDMI 1.4 format work if the PS3 is connected to a PC monitor through an HDMI to DVI connector?
No, this is not possible. There are no stereo 3D monitors that support HDMI 3D formats.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

DevilMaster wrote:
phil wrote:it wouldn't surprise me if most end up only supporting HDMI 1.4 frame packing (especially the PS3-exclusive games).
Is any HMD compatible with that format?
i read Vuzix wrap 920 supports side-by-side [http://www.vuzix.com/iwear/products_wra ... l#features]
Has anybody tried side-by-side 3D on vuzix wrap 920 with any of the sensio 3D DVDs...?

my headplay does not play that format - only 3d nvidia [VGA] and interlaced [composite/s-video]

so the sensio 3D DVDs cannot be played on my headplay - this sucks..

a bit of research - and i get to the one i hate so much - vuzix av920 which does Side by Side,Field Sequential,3 formats of Anaglyph(Amber/Blue,Red/Cyan,Red/Green)]

the above has been discontinued [why?] - can anybody confirm having played any SENSIO 3D DVD side-by-side format on AV920...?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The Vuzix Wrap line supports side-by-side in both parallel and cross-eye formats (and also anaglyph too, of course). I imagine SENSIO format would work on it since SENSIO is essentially side-by-side.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:The Vuzix Wrap line supports side-by-side in both parallel and cross-eye formats (and also anaglyph too, of course). I imagine SENSIO format would work on it since SENSIO is essentially side-by-side.
pal - they write a lot of good things to sell their units espacially vuzix ..

now - has anybody 'ACTUALLY' tested Vuzix AV920 with a side-by-side 3D format [Sensio or otherwise] ?
they are selling for US $450 on ebay
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:The Vuzix Wrap line supports side-by-side in both parallel and cross-eye formats (and also anaglyph too, of course). I imagine SENSIO format would work on it since SENSIO is essentially side-by-side.
which is better for side-by-side / field sequential / anaglyph 3D - Vuzix Wrap 920 OR Vuzix AV920 ?

i guess AV920 'd be more immersive as i has slightly bigger FOV ... anyone please advise...
?
?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Again, this topic is about PS3 3D gaming and blu-ray. Not about HMDs. But I will try to answer your question anyway.

Vuzix Wrap 920 and AV920 are both 640x480 and practically the same FOV. I don't think one degree is going to make much of a difference. The things you should be looking at is the features. First, think what it is you are going to do most with the device. For example, if you want to hook it up to a PC then the Wrap might be better since you can buy a VGA adapter. The AV920 is just composite and iPod I think. If you just plan to use the composite inputs (for example, with a portable DVD player) then this shouldn't be an issue. Then ask yourself what type of 3D content you wish to watch. Both headsets support side-by-side and anaglyph, but the AV920 adds field-sequential to the mix. This could be a nice bonus but would you really utilize this feature? Most software the would support interlaced will also support side-by-side (ie The Stereoscopic Player). Also, playing HQFS DVDs probably would still be problematic even with the field-sequential support. This is because the resolution will likely need to be scaled and ruin the interlacing. The only thing I can think of that supports interlaced but not side-by-side is PowerDVD 10 for playing 3D Blu-Rays. So that might be a consideration. Also, I am not sure what the maximum resolution supported on the Wrap920 is. I know the VR920 supported up to 1024x768. Not sure if the Wrap does too (or maybe it can go higher, who knows). AV920 might be limited to VGA resolution. Probably only a concern if you want to hook it up to a PC. On big feature the Wrap has going for it is independent diopter adjustment (+2 to -5). AV920 has fixed optics. So if you are like me and wear glasses this can be a big deal. For example, I can wear the Wrap310 without any glasses but the VR920 looks blurry as all hell without my glasses (but is somewhat uncomfortable to wear with my glasses on). If you are just going to watch anaglyph, then either will probably do. Also the AV920 has an "immersion shield" which helps somewhat to make the screen appear bigger. But the Wraps look nice and stylish, if you care about things like that. Seems like the AV920 can be had for a little cheaper but both are in the same ballpark. I think the colors might look better on the Wrap but maybe that is just my memory playing tricks. Both are alright headsets considering they are on the low-end. Not sure what else to tell you. If you explain exactly what it is you are going to do with the headset maybe I can help further (i.e. is it for a PC or iPod, will you watch 2D movies mostly or 3D DVDs, etc.).
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Again, this topic is about PS3 3D gaming and blu-ray. Not about HMDs. But I will try to answer your question anyway.

Vuzix Wrap 920 and AV920 are both 640x480 and practically the same FOV. I don't think one degree is going to make much of a difference. The things you should be looking at is the features. First, think what it is you are going to do most with the device. For example, if you want to hook it up to a PC then the Wrap might be better since you can buy a VGA adapter. The AV920 is just composite and iPod I think. If you just plan to use the composite inputs (for example, with a portable DVD player) then this shouldn't be an issue. Then ask yourself what type of 3D content you wish to watch. Both headsets support side-by-side and anaglyph, but the AV920 adds field-sequential to the mix. This could be a nice bonus but would you really utilize this feature? Most software the would support interlaced will also support side-by-side (ie The Stereoscopic Player). Also, playing HQFS DVDs probably would still be problematic even with the field-sequential support. This is because the resolution will likely need to be scaled and ruin the interlacing. The only thing I can think of that supports interlaced but not side-by-side is PowerDVD 10 for playing 3D Blu-Rays. So that might be a consideration. Also, I am not sure what the maximum resolution supported on the Wrap920 is. I know the VR920 supported up to 1024x768. Not sure if the Wrap does too (or maybe it can go higher, who knows). AV920 might be limited to VGA resolution. Probably only a concern if you want to hook it up to a PC. On big feature the Wrap has going for it is independent diopter adjustment (+2 to -5). AV920 has fixed optics. So if you are like me and wear glasses this can be a big deal. For example, I can wear the Wrap310 without any glasses but the VR920 looks blurry as all hell without my glasses (but is somewhat uncomfortable to wear with my glasses on). If you are just going to watch anaglyph, then either will probably do. Also the AV920 has an "immersion shield" which helps somewhat to make the screen appear bigger. But the Wraps look nice and stylish, if you care about things like that. Seems like the AV920 can be had for a little cheaper but both are in the same ballpark. I think the colors might look better on the Wrap but maybe that is just my memory playing tricks. Both are alright headsets considering they are on the low-end. Not sure what else to tell you. If you explain exactly what it is you are going to do with the headset maybe I can help further (i.e. is it for a PC or iPod, will you watch 2D movies mostly or 3D DVDs, etc.).
very informative...
my headplay is tad heavy for 3d field sequential - puts a lot of weight on my head just like wearing a brick...[ [ http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 8&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ]

so i need a multiformat 3D video glasses set which can play [side-by-side/field sequential/anaglyph] with higher FOV for immersion...
i considered wrap 920 also because of computer interface possible but it's NOT usb-powered - changing batteries is cumbersome for me

So have u tried 3D [[side-by-side/field sequential/anaglyph] on AV920 [it's usb powered, not computer comaptible]

1)how's the 3D on AV920 ?

2)is it really good and immersive ?

3)i have TV-out on my laptop so i can connect av920 via composite / s-video[if av920 supports]

4)what's the max resolution supported through TV-out [headplay has 1024x768 , not sure of av920]

5)what's the quality of colors , brightness/contrast/saturation etc ?

i want this for sesio DVDs in 3D hi-res [cinemizer OLED aslo supports this - it may end up TDvisor way not seeing the light of day.... who knows]
i am not sure about the resolution av920 will support for sensio format - but basically for sesio format with anglyph & field sequential as bonus !

please advise and oblige
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Keep in mind I own the VR920 and the Wrap310, not the AV920 or Wrap920. So while they are pretty much the same product lines and share display modules and/or optics, there may be slight differences between them. That said they should be close enough to give a fair review. For the VR920 the FOV is 32 degrees. This is about the same as a lot of headsets, so if you have tried other low-end HMDs you will know what to expect. I wouldn't really go as far to say that its "immersive" but I think the screen size is big enough to watch comfortably. Again, it can't compete with a big-screen HDTV. The experience is similar to watching a movie on a laptop screen. One thing I just noticed after trying the VR920 just now was that the colors are really washed out. It had this subdued tint to it, like everything was whiter than it should be. Also there is only controls for brightness/contrast on the VR920. On the other hand, the Wrap310 has perfect colors and even has hue/saturation controls to adjust it further (in addition to brightness and contrast). The difference was pretty big. Not sure if the Wrap920 display module is related to the Wrap310 or if the Wrap920 uses the same Kopin displays as the VR920 and countless other headsets. Maybe the Wrap310 in particular might be better in this case. Again, you are not going to "jack into the matrix" with any of these HMDs. But the screen size provides a watchable experience, and is superior than watching the small screen of an iPod or portable DVD player. If you have TV out on your laptop (or use a converter) then you should be able to hook up the AV920. However the quality might be pretty low compared to a VGA connection. I don't know what the resolution maximum is. I know with the VR920 on VGA its 1024x768 but it might be less on the AV920 via RCA. Either way, the native resolution is 640x480, so its only going to look so good. However you will probably get better quality out of the Wrap920s with the VGA adapter. In terms of 3D, the VR920 actually looks decent. I've watched some various 3D videos on it and it gave the impression of being there. Probably more so than even a 3D monitor can. So yeah, 3D is good. I watched some 3D on the Wrap310 and I wasn't as impressed but maybe that was just the content I was watching. Also, if you are looking for something light you may want to go with the Wraps. They are very light, almost like wearing sun glasses. The VR920 is also light but maybe just a little more cumbersome to wear. However on the Wrap310s I did have some issues with part of the screen going dark (like a negative effect). This is similar to when you look at cheap LCD screens from an off angle. Its something I can live with though and only happens sometimes. I didn't have this problem on the VR920. However the optics on the Wrap310 are a lot better and give a screen that is clear and in focus with no distortion along the edges. The VR920 also has a sort-of tunnel vision effect because of border around the screen. The Wrap310s looked a little more natural in this respect. Also the audio is way better on the Wrap310 than on the VR920. The Wrap earphones are actually really good and go pretty loud. The VR920 earphones are crap (worse than the free ipod headphones) so you will probably want to take them out and use real ones. In terms of batteries, the Wrap310 lasts for 10 hours on 2 AA batteries. You can get a set of rechargeables (with the charger) or like $10 so this is not really an issue. So if all you want to do is watch SENSIO DVDs then either of these headsets will probably work using the side-by-side mode. Personally I would probably go with the Wrap920 since its the newer headset and probably has some improvements, but the choice is up to you.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Keep in mind I own the VR920 and the Wrap310, not the AV920 or Wrap920. So while they are pretty much the same product lines and share display modules and/or optics, there may be slight differences between them. That said they should be close enough to give a fair review. For the VR920 the FOV is 32 degrees. This is about the same as a lot of headsets, so if you have tried other low-end HMDs you will know what to expect. I wouldn't really go as far to say that its "immersive" but I think the screen size is big enough to watch comfortably. Again, it can't compete with a big-screen HDTV. The experience is similar to watching a movie on a laptop screen. One thing I just noticed after trying the VR920 just now was that the colors are really washed out. It had this subdued tint to it, like everything was whiter than it should be. Also there is only controls for brightness/contrast on the VR920. On the other hand, the Wrap310 has perfect colors and even has hue/saturation controls to adjust it further (in addition to brightness and contrast). The difference was pretty big. Not sure if the Wrap920 display module is related to the Wrap310 or if the Wrap920 uses the same Kopin displays as the VR920 and countless other headsets. Maybe the Wrap310 in particular might be better in this case. Again, you are not going to "jack into the matrix" with any of these HMDs. But the screen size provides a watchable experience, and is superior than watching the small screen of an iPod or portable DVD player. If you have TV out on your laptop (or use a converter) then you should be able to hook up the AV920. However the quality might be pretty low compared to a VGA connection. I don't know what the resolution maximum is. I know with the VR920 on VGA its 1024x768 but it might be less on the AV920 via RCA. Either way, the native resolution is 640x480, so its only going to look so good. However you will probably get better quality out of the Wrap920s with the VGA adapter. In terms of 3D, the VR920 actually looks decent. I've watched some various 3D videos on it and it gave the impression of being there. Probably more so than even a 3D monitor can. So yeah, 3D is good. I watched some 3D on the Wrap310 and I wasn't as impressed but maybe that was just the content I was watching. Also, if you are looking for something light you may want to go with the Wraps. They are very light, almost like wearing sun glasses. The VR920 is also light but maybe just a little more cumbersome to wear. However on the Wrap310s I did have some issues with part of the screen going dark (like a negative effect). This is similar to when you look at cheap LCD screens from an off angle. Its something I can live with though and only happens sometimes. I didn't have this problem on the VR920. However the optics on the Wrap310 are a lot better and give a screen that is clear and in focus with no distortion along the edges. The VR920 also has a sort-of tunnel vision effect because of border around the screen. The Wrap310s looked a little more natural in this respect. Also the audio is way better on the Wrap310 than on the VR920. The Wrap earphones are actually really good and go pretty loud. The VR920 earphones are crap (worse than the free ipod headphones) so you will probably want to take them out and use real ones. In terms of batteries, the Wrap310 lasts for 10 hours on 2 AA batteries. You can get a set of rechargeables (with the charger) or like $10 so this is not really an issue. So if all you want to do is watch SENSIO DVDs then either of these headsets will probably work using the side-by-side mode. Personally I would probably go with the Wrap920 since its the newer headset and probably has some improvements, but the choice is up to you.
pal - since you have not been hands on with av920/wrap 920 - so let 's talk about vr920 / 310

Now is it iwear 310 XL [http://www.vuzix.com/iwear/products_wra ... l#features] you are referring to?
the other iwear 310 is in the list of discontinued products ?

Not too sure but i guess "310 XL" and iwear 310 'd be more or less the same

does 310 support anaglyph and field sequential as well besides side-by-side format ?

await reply
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I have the original Vuzix Wrap310, not the new Wrap310XL model. I've looked at the specs and they seem almost exactly the same. The only difference I noticed is that the 310XL only takes one AA battery and the original 310 takes two AA batteries. The 310XL also has a zoom feature I don't think the 310 has. It seems like the 310XL *only* supports side-by-side, though. While the original 310 supports side-by-side and 3 types of anaglyph. Neither support field-sequential. In that respect the original 310 might be a better choice and can easily be found on ebay for cheap (I see one for $160 right now). One of the reasons I got the Wrap310 over the Wrap920 was that the Wrap310 is 16:9 format while the 920 is 4:3. Although the resolution is pretty low, I still find watching content on it to be acceptable (although it could certainly look better). For the price, you really can't go wrong. Might at least hold you over until something better comes along (like the Cinemizer OLED).
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:I have the original Vuzix Wrap310, not the new Wrap310XL model. I've looked at the specs and they seem almost exactly the same. The only difference I noticed is that the 310XL only takes one AA battery and the original 310 takes two AA batteries. The 310XL also has a zoom feature I don't think the 310 has. It seems like the 310XL *only* supports side-by-side, though. While the original 310 supports side-by-side and 3 types of anaglyph. Neither support field-sequential. In that respect the original 310 might be a better choice and can easily be found on ebay for cheap (I see one for $160 right now). One of the reasons I got the Wrap310 over the Wrap920 was that the Wrap310 is 16:9 format while the 920 is 4:3. Although the resolution is pretty low, I still find watching content on it to be acceptable (although it could certainly look better). For the price, you really can't go wrong. Might at least hold you over until something better comes along (like the Cinemizer OLED).
Great!
New Av920 is being sold on ebay on a high quote so got it from amazon for US$300 +shipping ..
waiting for it's arrival...
usb powered all popular 3d formats supported , 32FOV - i hope it will be a great buy..
let's see..
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

ancjob wrote: Great!
New Av920 is being sold on ebay on a high quote so got it from amazon for US$300 +shipping ..
usb powered all popular 3d formats supported , 32FOV - i hope it will be a great buy..
let's see..
Awesome man. I hope that works out for you, I know you have been fiending for a new HMD. Let me know how it goes.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

What - blu-ray 3D format is better than sensio .....................
how come...?
surprising..
i wish i'd get a portable 3d blu-ray with component out/and optional progressive scan mode also to complete my AV collection
cybereality wrote:
ancjob wrote: Great!
let's see..
Awesome man. I hope that works out for you, I know you have been fiending for a new HMD. Let me know how it goes.

yeah - 34-35 FOV [headplay] is straining as you get a very big screen too close...
the best is 32 FOV but the 3d may not be immersive...the higher the FOV the better immersion for 3D!
let's see...
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Ancjob, the size of the screen has nothing to do with the focal length. You seem to not get this. :P
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:Ancjob, the size of the screen has nothing to do with the focal length. You seem to not get this. :P
pal - i am not a hardcore tech
but i can tell you that headplay has the screen which is big,reflective and strains after 30 min , a bit too close +
you guys talk about 60 fov - it must be going out of the eye pieces...surely
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Nope! It all depends on the focal length of the lenses, I guess the Headplay is not too good.

Plus, on large FOV headsets like the V8, the lenses are much larger, so it does not go "outside". :)
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:Nope! It all depends on the focal length of the lenses, I guess the Headplay is not too good.

Plus, on large FOV headsets like the V8, the lenses are much larger, so it does not go "outside". :)
pal - i agree but if V8 had been like headplay for inputs then it 'd have been great...
i guess the weight of V8 is more or less the same as headplay....also it just takes VGA [640x480] and for stereoscopy dual VGA inputs...
my laptop does not even support 3d let alone dual VGA out..hehehe
headplay does 3d great... have experimented with some field sequential movies... i like it but same issue straining after 30-40 min of use plus the bulk of it drooling on my nose requires constant re-adjustment..

that's why i ordered vuzix AV920 and plan to get another VGA resolution sun-glasses style HMD[Q london 80'' video glasses trading on ebay for US$350+]....for 3D
i guess i'd put headplay back in the box if others do their job well.....for a long time!

by the way - can PS3 play mkv with embedded subs [ official specs do not mention!] also if anybody verified playing 3D blu-ray / stan. DVD with it and using HMD - does it work..?
No information regd what 3D formats supported by PS3...
winlonghorn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by winlonghorn »

GoldChain wrote:So, as a PS3 owner, I'd be interesting in hearing from anyone using the PS3 for 3D gaming and movies. What sort of display are you using, any issues you may have, what your thoughts are on the quality of the games, etc.....

GC
I have just now started using my PS3 for 3D Blu Ray and 3D Gaming and I am very impressed. It is crisp, clear, has awesome contrast and black levels, and there is very little (if any) ghosting. :)
winlonghorn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by winlonghorn »

DmitryKo wrote:
DevilMaster wrote:Will 3D in the HDMI 1.4 format work if the PS3 is connected to a PC monitor through an HDMI to DVI connector?
No, this is not possible. There are no stereo 3D monitors that support HDMI 3D formats.
There is one LED with HDMI 3D capability coming very soon. 3D Vision emitter is integrated too!
GoldChain
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by GoldChain »

winlonghorn wrote:I have just now started using my PS3 for 3D Blu Ray and 3D Gaming and I am very impressed. It is crisp, clear, has awesome contrast and black levels, and there is very little (if any) ghosting. :)
So what display are you using? I just started a new thread in the display forum as I'm this close -->| |<-- to buying the 73" Mits DLP. I've got the PS3 just a waiting, and some 3D BD already also........ SOOOOO itching to pull the trigger!!!

GC
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

here's something to keep in mind and its just my opinion. 720P is best viewed at 50" or less screen size. Above 50" you'll appreciate 1080P more. Gaming at 720P with half resolution 73" dlp and PS3 will not look as impressive as at 50" or less. However, 1080P 3D blu-rays will look very good. just my $.02.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
GoldChain
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by GoldChain »

Chiefwinston wrote:here's something to keep in mind and its just my opinion. 720P is best viewed at 50" or less screen size. Above 50" you'll appreciate 1080P more. Gaming at 720P with half resolution 73" dlp and PS3 will not look as impressive as at 50" or less. However, 1080P 3D blu-rays will look very good. just my $.02.

cheers everyone
That makes sense. The larger the screen the higher rez you need to keep it looking good. Gaming on the PS3 is a secondary concern. (I'll play on it because I have it, and 3D will be cool, but my main goal is quality 2D and 3D movie viewing). Having said that, I deal with playing the Wii over composite on my 53", so I know what it's like to play games at a sub-optimal resolution on a bigger screen. :lol: (I hope moving to using the Wii over component will help some, but I'm not optimistic 480p will be any better than 480i overall).

If Nintendo wanted a huge WIN, it seems they'd make a hoss 1080p graphics chip that's essentially an updated version of the current chip (i.e. compatible with current graphics calls, etc). Model/textures of existing games should suffice to make a good looking 1080p game. Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 in 1080p would be the bomb!!

[update]
Well, the Dolphin emulator for GameCube/Wii can do 720p/1080p...... which makes me even more convinced Nintendo could've updated the Wii to HD with little effort.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzHz3_xoIdg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GC
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I had the component cable to Wii and it barely made a difference (but it was marginally better). However, the quality is crap no matter what you do. In fact, it actually looks better if you plug it in to an old-school CRT. Not much is going to help this. I could see Nintendo bringing out a new system that is backwards compatible, but I am not sure they will bother refreshing the Wii seeing as it is still popular. Never ended up playing it much so I just sold it last year. And my Xbox360 died, so I am exclusive PC gamer.
GoldChain
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by GoldChain »

Yeah........ You even with component, 480 is 480 (p or i).... aliasing and jagged edges are a fact at 480. DOH!

it's be cool if a new WII is backward compatible..... But I wouldn't hold my breath... The Wii can do GameCube games, only because it has the same processor/graphic hardware as the GC...... (i.e. it was a beefed up GameCube) I doubt they'll keep CPU/graphic compatible hardware with a new version........ so without some emulator (which = slow/bad performance typically), we're outta luck...... makes me wanna built a small PC to connect to the TV just to run Dolphin to play Wii games in 1080p. :)

But, I like to play the Wii with the family (there's me the wife and 2 boys, ages 3 and 4).... PS3 controller is a bit much for them, but they can play Wii games where they swing their arms, etc.... (plus, as is the target audience, the PS3 doesn't have the selection/quality of kid-friendly games as the Wii).

Oh well..... it's all good......... I was a huge PC gamer in a prior life (let me date myself.... I was a GOD in Quake II and Unreal Tournament). I can still hold my own in Counter Strike Source (I love reverse gun game servers). But the PC is old, can't handle those games, and is in the basement........ I spend more time on the couch watching TV (which is why I want a nice BIG one) with my laptop leaving posts in forums... you know... important stuff! :lol:

I must admit tho, I've already been browsing the list of 3D capable games on the PS3.... so when I pull the trigger on the TV/glasses, etc I have to get at least one 3D game on the PS3!!

GC
GoldChain
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by GoldChain »

GoldChain wrote:I must admit tho, I've already been browsing the list of 3D capable games on the PS3.... so when I pull the trigger on the TV/glasses, etc I have to get at least one 3D game on the PS3!!
Okay....... so the TV is to arrive on Wednesday, and I couldn't help myself, so I already have MotorStorm 3D Rift purchased and installed.......... even without 3D, that game is HANDS DOWN the best $10 I've ever spent on any video game. What a great, fun game. Can't wait to see it in 3D.

Will likely purchase the WipEout HD bundle with the expansion pack for $25 also....... I've read great things about Virtua Tennis 4 (that would rock in 3D with the Move controller). And GT5 looks absolutely phenomenal..........

So there's another slow-drip bleed on my bank account........ What have I gotten myself into!?!?!?! :lol:
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

GoldChain wrote:So there's another slow-drip bleed on my bank account........ What have I gotten myself into!?!?!?! :lol:
I ask myself that every day but somehow I just keep buying gear...
GoldChain
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by GoldChain »

Speaking of gaming (PS3), does anyone in this forum do any gaming using the PS3 on a Mitsubishi DLP? I've been digging around, but have been unsuccessful trying to learn how the DLP sets handle any incoming 720p signals (i.e. how it handles the upconversion, the framerate, etc). In theory it could simply take the incoming 60Hz 720p signal, and graphically upconvert the frames to 1080p and hand off to the DMD for display. Since the DMD can "paint" a 1920x1080 frame @ 60Hz, this would be totally possible and likely the easiest way to handle 720p. However, for frame-packed 3D (i.e. both left/right images at full resolution in a single, double-bandwidth frame) in 720P@60, the display would need to display a new 720P image 120 times/sec (left 720p, then 120th sec later, right 720p). So you'd really have 2 choices (that I can think of off the top of my head):

1) Essentially dump 1/2 of the incoming frames, and stick with upconverting the remaining 720 frames up to 1080 and displaying. This would yield 1080 @ 30frame per eye per sec (which is what you'd get from watching any other 1080p content in 3D)

2) Since the DMD is 960x1080, you could upsample the 720 frames (120 of them/sec) to 1920x1080, then to 960x1080 (i.e. half horiz rez images) for display

3) Since the DMD is 960x1080, you could resample the 720 frames (120 of them/sec) to like 960x540 (eww?) for display (it's even possible for it to display such a made up resolution fullscreen).

Any ideas on how it does it? Once I get my TV, I'll hook up games and try them and "use the force" (i.e. if they look/play well, then they do, regardless of how they display what at what resolution, etc)

GC

Return to “3D Console Gaming”