RifTUP! FullHD Oculus DK1 upgrade kit

stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Re: Nexus 7 2nd Gen 1920x1200. Possible drop-in replacement?

Post by stevetb »

ExZero16 wrote:I've been following this post for a really long time now and it looks like it has finally gotten figured out.
Who do I contact to acquire one of the HDMI to MIPI boards? I can do all the modding myself I would just like to get one of the boards to connect a screen to.

Thank you!
Agreed, I have also been following this silently for a long period of time. Looks like now we can poke our heads out and start working on a way to get on this list.

-Steve
cgp44
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by cgp44 »

SO,

I am going to order the sharp 5.9er and some 50mm lenses. Whilst I google, could anyone
with a supplier who has either one, please link them. Thanks.
yunti
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yunti »

cgp44 wrote:SO,

I am going to order the sharp 5.9er and some 50mm lenses. Whilst I google, could anyone
with a supplier who has either one, please link them. Thanks.

Reminder details of the panel on panellook here:
http://www.panelook.com/LS059T1SX01_SHA ... 18926.html

Single order quantities can be ordered here:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-9-inch ... 86788.html

but that looks expensive - buk I'm sure there will be cheaper options elsewhere.

Why did you need 50mm lenses I thought kernel already mentioned it would work perfectly with the C cup lenses , or are you intending on building it DIY from scratch?

Daniel/rozsnyo & Kernel & OzOnE2k10 . I'm happy to place an order for the board when you are ready to accept orders - but whenever you are ready.
Thanks for all your work to date.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

the 5.9er at 97usd seems ok, the 5.5er was 80. What is your target price; 60?
I'll order one now, 30 bucks is neither here nor there for one off DIYing,

The lenses needs to be 50mm so there is no edge in the fov. As well the
current 30mm rift lens magnifying coverage of the screen is not much.
So we need a magnification of a larger screen area to get the maximum
usage of all those pixels. I want a 5.9 per eye.
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

Hi, all

here you can buy the Sharp 5,9" panel:

http://www.wayengineer.com/index.php?ma ... ts_id=5304
GOODYES
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GOODYES »

Heyy,
Both Sharp and LG are great, i think the price is good, just below 100 bucks for a 1080p in less than 6inch.

I have some questions about the mobos used for.
I saw 2 different versions of the HBTM5, last one a little more smaller.
I saw the boards from Daniel, there're great.

@silentbrain : Where did you get the hbtm5 (smaller one, is v2¿? or what), price any contact ?
@hornet: What device you got to use with the displays ?

Is there any other device available for buy like the above ones, to get an hdmi output from a dslr and to be displayed on this kind of displays ?
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

The DSLR and SDI viewfinder will be the next step - but that one I can not do alone. Any FPGA coders here ? :)

I have tested a 5.5" VFM-058W TVlogic and it is performing worse than I have expected (bad pixel to pixel funcion, color processing is not possible to turn off, and makes heat that you cant touch the box.. not to mention why they used so big box for it...).
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

I am waiting for board, I have only display so far.
GOODYES
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GOODYES »

@hornet: the one from ? the model ? how much you paid for ? and when you expect to have it ready for ?
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

GOODYES wrote:@hornet: the one from ? the model ? how much you paid for ? and when you expect to have it ready for ?
Hope from Daniel :-) (post above me)
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

I feel no need to hurry in buying display(s) yet.
Daniel said he will offer full kits (panel plus board) when ready. I can imagine that the demand for those kits will let him buy large quantities, so he can certainly make a good price AND still earn some bucks per kit ;).
Then there is still a smal chance, that there will be a >FHD panel available which can be driven with little adjustments. Then what do you do with your panels already bought?
Do not get me wrong, i would love to install the kit tomorrow. But i do think, that i can do that realisticly end of march. So i will wait, cross my fingers and fully trust Daniel abilities to deliver a flawless "upgrade-kit".
I will go (so far) with two lG 5.5" screens with boards in portrait dual setup - similar to the valve prototype ;)
BTW - After reading some articles about low persistance driving i do think, that there is a massive investment in knowledge necessary to do that right, which is very likely not possible to deliver from Daniel alone, even if we get our hands on a good OLED panel. But honestly i do only want higher resolution, and this goal is very close!
Last edited by mr.uu on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

cgp44 wrote:The lenses needs to be 50mm so there is no edge in the fov.
Well, i do only see the edges (of the screen) if i press the lenses against my face and brush the lens with my eyelashes, which is not really a comfy way in setting up the rift - at least for me.
Or do you mean the "edge", better border of the lens?
cgp44 wrote:As well the current 30mm rift lens magnifying coverage of the screen is not much.
So we need a magnification of a larger screen area to get the maximum
usage of all those pixels. I want a 5.9 per eye.
This only makes sense if you use a dual landscape setup. But even in this case you do not really gain a lot horFOV because you have to tell the software to correctly use all those more pixels available. That is partly possible with VorpX, in increasing the diameter of the displayed image per side, but not for rift native software afaik (i could be wrong on that). That is excactly why the InfiniteEye uses software-wise three fewports combined to achieve the wide FOV picture necessary to fill the more horFOV correctly. So afaik there is no "easy" way to use the extra horFOV pixels...
And then, i do not know if a vertical scanline is something which can distract from experience or not - time will tell ;).
Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ryuuken24 »

Hi! Where will Daniel post his kit for sale once he's done? Or is it a DIY, so we just order the parts now, and we download his software?
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

I will definitely post a notice here, when I send the compact PCB layout to manufacturing.

Also, if anybody is interested getting this from me, just drop an email to hdmi2mipi@rozsnyo.com ( ideally stating the screen size - I can offer 5.0 / 5.5 / 5.9, if bare interface or PCB+LCD set is desired, quantity and maybe you can share your price proposal )

I will use those contacts to inform about availability and plan for production. Current plan is to produce about 10 prototypes for the guys from this thread who indicated their interest.
Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ryuuken24 »

I'm interested but, when is the whole project done? Also shouldn't you, Daniel, be the one to state a price, since you're the one working on it? I might wanna pay 10 bucks, and that for me is hell of a good price, see what I mean? I'm definitely going to email you. There is no way in hell Oculus is going to be selling the Rift earlier than four months. I still like my Rift, and this seems like a hell of a good mod.
shole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by shole »

Clearly there's a lot of interest but at least i'm still a bit unclear on the end product.
Specifically, if it will be a drop-in replacement on the software side.
If I need to modify the oculus sdk or use custom rendering, or if existing oculus content won't work, it's not worth it for me.
davidmi58
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by davidmi58 »

Also, will the mod be installable by a relative novice or is that a 5 hammer job?
AlexS23
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AlexS23 »

Hi,

I'd be interested in a kit, too (as long as there is no need to solder or anything like that).
State a price is difficult, it costs what it costs + an obolus for you.
I think the most expensiv will be the display?

Greetings
Alex
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

The display piece is expensive as the dealer is making almost 100% on it.

E.g. Sharp LS050T1SX01 is $80, but on ebay you can find it under HTC droid DNA replacement screen for $48.
Similar with the 7" panel - converting the chineese Taobao price to $ it is around $40-$50, but when I asked this seller to obtain it, the price was $65.

So.. it would be ideal if we could figure out which phone got the 5.9" Sharp inside, and source it as a replacement part from unsuspecting sellers.

Btw, the 5" are 160pcs/box ($70), the 5.9" are 120pcs/box ($80) - if we take the box, that is -$10 currently, but I do not like these prices, when I know they can be much lower. So still looking for a cheap display source, keeping these highly priced ones as last resort.

The 5.5" can be sourced oficially for $80 from Avnet express, The sharp 5 / 5.9 also, but no price is indicated and MOQ is 5000+ pieces.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

I rechecked my thoughts about reduced display width with the 5.9" single panel swap (calculation is ~10mm per side reduction).
See pic attached, where i cut a piece of paper with the dimensions of the 5.9" panel and taped it on the RiftDK panel.
As you can see, there is a similar ~10mm reduction of screen area on each side.

Then i checked the view with lenses and have to say, that i barely could see the edges, despite the reduced area.

As we all know, the proof is in the pudding, so i will now go with a one 5.9" panel swap setup, because in this test i could not see the problem of massively reduced hor or vert FOV, which was the main reason for me to go with a dual panel setup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mr.uu on Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

rozsnyo wrote:The display piece is expensive as the dealer is making almost 100% on it.

E.g. Sharp LS050T1SX01 is $80, but on ebay you can find it under HTC droid DNA replacement screen for $48.
Similar with the 7" panel - converting the chineese Taobao price to $ it is around $40-$50, but when I asked this seller to obtain it, the price was $65.

So.. it would be ideal if we could figure out which phone got the 5.9" Sharp inside, and source it as a replacement part from unsuspecting sellers.

Btw, the 5" are 160pcs/box ($70), the 5.9" are 120pcs/box ($80) - if we take the box, that is -$10 currently, but I do not like these prices, when I know they can be much lower. So still looking for a cheap display source, keeping these highly priced ones as last resort.

The 5.5" can be sourced oficially for $80 from Avnet express, The sharp 5 / 5.9 also, but no price is indicated and MOQ is 5000+ pieces.
If sourcing the panels right now for a good price is a problem, why not focus on the driver board as you did with the iPad retina driver board? You could still offer a kit for a couple of people who would like to have their kit tested before shipping. I am certain, that they would be ready to pay a higher price for that. I am one of these customers.
Do not under estimate the demand for this upgrade kit. Also i would think about adding an option to send their kits to you and you do the upgrade and then send it back to them...

How is your progress with the driver boards? Any estimate in size and weight? Any chance that you drive the boards with more than 60Hz? You said, the IC could drive 2xFHD at 60Hz... Any tests done yet?

Keep up the good work!
ExZero16
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ExZero16 »

If your looking for what phone that sharp 5.9" screen belongs to, it is the HTC One Max.

http://db0417.blog.163.com/blog/static/ ... 231545837/

I tried finding a replacement screen for the HTC One Max and couldn't find anything without the digitizer attached. I'm assuming that the LCD and Digitizer are glued together and i couldn't find anything for less than the $90 that someone posted a link to ( http://www.wayengineer.com/index.php?ma ... ts_id=5304 ).
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

mr.uu wrote:I rechecked my thoughts about reduced display width with the 5.9" single panel swap (calculation is ~10mm per side reduction).

As you can see, there is a similar ~10mm reduction of screen area on each side.

Then i checked the view with lenses and have to say, that i barely could see the edges, despite the reduced area.

As we all know, the proof is in the pudding, so i will now go with a one 5.9" panel swap setup, because in this test i could not see the problem of massively reduced hor or vert FOV, which was the main reason for me to go with a dual panel setup.

Hi mr.uu,
Will the way the image is rendered to the Rift 7inch screen mean that there will be Horz. & Vert. Fov loss with the 5.9 screen ?
What I mean by that, is the way the rift screen is not filled 100% with an image from edge to edge and then just split down the middle. It is two of those round-ish images on each side and they don't fill the whole screen out to the edges.
So won't the Horz. & Vert. Fov loss be worse than the 5.9 inch blank paper test can show ?
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

rozsnyo wrote:The display piece is expensive as the dealer is making almost 100% on it.
Hey rozsnyo,
That is a 1080p 7inch you were talking about right ?
If so, will your board work with the 7inch ?
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Hey Daniel I thought the replacement screen merchants were the rip off artists!

Regarding a lens for dual displays, you are reducing the magnification by 2 (sqrt 2?)
so you see a larger area of the screen. Has anyone explored this and found a source?
Preferably a 50mm width lens so we don't see the lens edge. I suppose the issue is we want
to have the lens right up to the eye and this would change optics rather than the usual
eye distance.

I have large lenses from those 3 inch magnifying enclosures.

I am looking at the rift screen as a one eye display. The said 3 incher has the narrow width
of the screen intruding. I will see whether landscape or portrait orientation is better.
The 3 incher has a fuzzy edge, so once I have two screens I will see.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

The Coolpad Grand has a 5.9 full HD screen.
Searching for screen replacements.

http://docteur-gsm.com/en/9319-coolpad-grand-4-8970l

scroll down to see the sharp 5.9er as the replacement part @ 50usd.
But drat, out of stock. Is this a put on?
Last edited by cgp44 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

what about this

no resolution quoted but it looks fHD @ 39usd

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/U970-Ori ... 88810.html

Edit: nope its 960x540
Last edited by cgp44 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

Hey Boys !

one important question. It is possible to change absolute diameter of rendered picture on screen direct in Oculus software (warping)? For new 5,9" screen it will be necessary to render both pictures R/L rel. bigger than on 7" panel (absolute size he same without black borders). Without it it will be problem that the picture is too small...Hope we can find solution.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

3dvison wrote:Hi mr.uu,
Will the way the image is rendered to the Rift 7inch screen mean that there will be Horz. & Vert. Fov loss with the 5.9 screen ?
What I mean by that, is the way the rift screen is not filled 100% with an image from edge to edge and then just split down the middle. It is two of those round-ish images on each side and they don't fill the whole screen out to the edges.
So won't the Horz. & Vert. Fov loss be worse than the 5.9 inch blank paper test can show ?
Hornet wrote:Hey Boys !
one important question. It is possible to change absolute diameter of rendered picture on screen direct in Oculus software (warping)? For new 5,9" screen it will be necessary to render both pictures R/L rel. bigger than on 7" panel (absolute size he same without black borders). Without it it will be problem that the picture is too small...Hope we can find solution.
You both are right, that the relative size of the rendered picture stays the same and the absolute size will be overall smaller, BUT:
First, we (I) hope that by faking the EDID of the first Rift FHD prototype - which uses similar sized panel - the size will be fixed IF the lenses are similar/the same. BTW, i just checked, the lenses i.m.h.o. are the same, what do you think? Check http://static.oculusvr.com/website/2013 ... sembly.jpg and this video where they filmed through a FHD prototype lens - unfortunately in german http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Oculus-Ri ... m-1084241/ EDIT: corrected link(s)
Second, we can still use the zoom function of VorpX or the application where it is offered...

But this is a perfect question we (better Daniel) can answer in a couple of weeks (days? ;) ), in trying out.
OR somebody of Oculus could be so nice and tell us the specs of the lenses and the screen of the first Rift FHD prototype... Errr, i must be dreaming, we have to test it ourselves.
Last edited by mr.uu on Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

cgp44 wrote:...Regarding a lens for dual displays, you are reducing the magnification by 2 (sqrt 2?)
so you see a larger area of the screen. Has anyone explored this and found a source?...
I did try many lenses in my iPad retina screen Frankenrift fun. Also lenses with less magnification (2.4x, 3x, fresnels, etc.).
I can tell you, that if using the original RiftDK housing it is not optimal to use lenses with a big difference in magnification than the RiftDK, because the size of the housing is optimized for the magnification of the riftDK lenses. To use MORE magnification is stupid because making screendoor, pixelization worse. To use LESS magnification you INCREASE the area viewed on the screen, so screendoor and pixelization is much better, BUT you have to also increase the overall diameter of the rendered picture to fit if you do not change the distance lens to screen. This is what i first did with my iPad retina Frankenrift. I used less magnification (around half, one fresnel only) and doubled the distance lens to screen (~10cm). Worked good, BUT was heavy as hell on my nose and VERY bulky. Also there is a much bigger area of the eye seperator visible.
So what you propose will not work with the standard distance to the screen, and if you put two screens in greater distance you will see the up&down (landscape) or left&right (portrait) borders BIG TIME.
I.m.h.o., a dual setup is only a way to go if you do a complete DIY like the InfinitEYE, OR you want to use exactly the same screen area as the RiftDK, so no hassle with the reduced screen area, but you have to use a dual 5.9" setup for that. And double weight of screen plus driver board for something which will very likely not be a problem when faking EDID is the way i will only go if i have no other option...

EDIT for mixing up screen area size
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

Found this:
http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xc ... n_2015.asp
where they said that in 2014 we will see 2560x1440 panels in smartphones (soon the LG G Pro 2, 5.9" :o , revealed in three days) and in 2015 we will have UHD (3840x2160)! :D
So, possible that we will be able to upgrade even further in a couple of months...

Last hours i did spend in digging through old first Rift FHD prototype reviews. It looks as if the resolution is so much better, and that screendoor is not anymore THE thing which has to be improved. All really liked the panel and also the better response time. And after finding that the lenses are the same as the DK ones, i really can't wait seeing the improvement with my own eyes...

EDIT: it is said, that one of the two Samsung Galaxy S5 models has a 5.25" screen with 2560x1440 resolution...
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

There is also the Vivo Xplay 3S with its 2560x1440 6" display which should be coming shortly now (already available for preorder in Vivo stores) :
http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/viv ... 34999.html
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

Fredz wrote:There is also the Vivo Xplay 3S with its 2560x1440 6" display which should be coming shortly now (already available for preorder in Vivo stores) :
http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/viv ... 34999.html
Wow, available since December 2013, 490ppi. Where are our chinese friends? The panel should be available somewhere soon...
wileythecoyote
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wileythecoyote »

Usually in modern phones the display and touchscreen glass are fused together, so it's not necessarily going to be any cheaper and it might even fit in it's current from.

PS: I'd be interested in buying your upgrade kit. Good work man.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

Daniel, how will you power the driver board and new panel?
Any chance, that we power them from the USB power pins of the tracker?
I power my RiftDK and tracker via an USB3.0 hub, so there should be enough power to drive them, too. Wait, is 900mA x 5V=4.5W really enough?
Then i could get rid of one (the extra usb) cable for powering the new display...

As far as i heard after the mod we
-still have the old rift cable from the box to the rift, where we just power and drive the tracker with - most of the cable unused,
-the new HDMI cable to drive the display with,
-one (or two) USB to power driver board and new display

Or can we use the pins of the old cable for powering the old LVDS display for powering the driver board and new panel?
Or do you still want to use a custom HDMI wiring to power the new driver board and panel. But then you would need another box where you route extra power into the HDMI cable. Does not really make sense.

Thank you for your answers!
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

I've just got a DK1 to make a perfect fit upgrade kit - so it will be replacement boards of the original breakout (merge hdmi/power/usb to original rift cable) and all the electronics residing behind the screen. Some cnc machined frame to hold the LCD/board will be required. No longer need for any cutting, slightly higher cost (two boards) but will be seamlessly integrated to DK1. Good enough?
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

rozsnyo wrote:Good enough?
"Good Enough ?"
You're so modest.(SMILE)
Yes that will be "Good Enough"..
Does it come in Red..No I'll take a blue one...HaHa
Thanks rozsnyo.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

Well, i did not expect anything less from you! :shock: :lol:
shavster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by shavster »

Sounds like a splendid plan!
yunti
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yunti »

rozsnyo wrote:I've just got a DK1 to make a perfect fit upgrade kit - so it will be replacement boards of the original breakout (merge hdmi/power/usb to original rift cable) and all the electronics residing behind the screen. Some cnc machined frame to hold the LCD/board will be required. No longer need for any cutting, slightly higher cost (two boards) but will be seamlessly integrated to DK1. Good enough?

Sounds ideal!

Return to “Oculus VR”