The Sony HMD is real!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Re: The Sony HMD is real!

Post by CyberVillain »

How many amps do the box take on the 5V side? Can it be driven on a USB (0.5A).
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

PalmerTech wrote:Glad the XP18000 is working well for you, Pierre!

As far as those really beefy battery packs go, they should not really be needed. The Wavi consumes 24 watts, but my WiCast claims 10 watts, and I am measuring it at closer to 6 watts during normal use. I ran the WiCast and my HMD from my XP18000 the other day for just under 8 hours straight, and it was still going! That should be more than enough for normal use.
Wow, which HMD? Your PR4, or the HMZ-T1? What's the difference between the Wavi and the WiCast? And there's the IOGEAR. What do you think is the best option? I don't need to transmit through walls. I just want solid 720p 3D support and the longest lasting battery life. Hmm, there's no wireless transmitter than supports 1080p60 3D, is there? That would be useful for the ST1080, but I don't think there is any such device yet. I think 1080p24 3D is the max, but I'm not sure. I'd like to be able to make a decision soon, since I can get $30 off the IOGEAR from Costco, until January 31. That reminds me - I received an email from Blazin' 3D yesterday, notifying me that my HMZ Comfort 3 straps have shipped and should arrive in 1-2 weeks. I will be able to seriously use my HMZ when the straps arrive. :D
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

@Palmer - How many amps needed for 5v direct input into the Sony Processor box? I'm thinking to get a regulator that take 12v and stepdown to 5v - 3A to the box. Can you take a photo where should I connect to the 5v source?

I found a way to extend the playing time without hurting my back. Just bought a Reebok Train Tone top that come with toning bands that strengthen upper body muscles. It will pull your back straight and I feel less fatigue.

http://shop.reebok.com/US/product?model ... eId=O43591" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mayaman »

STRZ wrote:
CyberVillain wrote:I think the Sparkfun IMU is a good alternative for Wiimote, I'm working on a software for it to forward the tracking data to Glovepie (For TrackIR or other games) or Freetrack games
That would be incredible 8-)

How does this perform compared to Track IR5? Would it run smoother, more precise?

I'm asking this because there are users having issues with track IR in simracing games, simracing would be the task i would mainly use the HMZ for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MawY4SAxnPY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You have problems with TrackIR? I've got a version5 and have no issues in Dirt3, rFactor, or anything else really. Reinstall driver or calibrate correctly?
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

pierreye wrote:@Palmer - How many amps needed for 5v direct input into the Sony Processor box? I'm thinking to get a regulator that take 12v and stepdown to 5v - 3A to the box. Can you take a photo where should I connect to the 5v source?

I found a way to extend the playing time without hurting my back. Just bought a Reebok Train Tone top that come with toning bands that strengthen upper body muscles. It will pull your back straight and I feel less fatigue.

http://shop.reebok.com/US/product?model ... eId=O43591" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That shirt looks great! My PR4 backpack is currently light enough that it is no problem to carry, but I might buy one of these for when my PR5 is done, since the backpack has quite a bit more gear in it. Great for backtop computer systems, too.

Just took a photo of an unmodified HMZ-T1 control box to show where you connect 5V:

They use 3 pins/wires just to be save, you really only have to use one for ground, and one for voltage. I would suggest cutting the cable that goes into the board, and splicing an external power plug into it. That way, you don't have to modify the board at all, just easily replaceable wires. :)

My HMZ-T1 upgrade project is going to be on hold for a while, too many other things on my plate at the moment. :(
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Thanks for the diagram. Looks simple enough to mod. I'll unplug the connector and mod a custom cable that will feed in the 5v.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Looks like this guy come out with the best comfort mod using welder's headband.

http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.p ... st21468769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Thanks a great mod.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Hmm, I wonder how the welder's headband compares to the Blazin' 3D straps? I have a set on their way.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Nice find, maybe we shuld have a "no discussion" thread were we only post tips from this thread so stuff like this does not get lost between the pages...
Last edited by CyberVillain on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Using nightvision goggle mounts for an HMZ mod was mentioned on the avsforum thread. They could allow flipping the unit up, so the HMD wouldn't need to be removed if one needed to look at something in realspace.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Aphradonis wrote:Using nightvision goggle mounts for an HMZ mod was mentioned on the avsforum thread. They could allow flipping the unit up, so the HMD wouldn't need to be removed if one needed to look at something in realspace.
Nice but alot pricier than pierreye tip, and probably harder to mount the HMZ to that..
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Yep, good point CyberVillain. If someone is posting valuable information, its probably better to make a new thread and link to it in the 'discussion' threads.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Just stepped over my old youtub clip when Im flying my FPV drone, cant wait to replace that laptop screen with a Sony HMD (strapped to a 5v powersource)

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2IQKX1AaOI[/youtube-hd]

Another one when doing a fly around my parents neighborhood (its really cool that the range of wifi can get this long with the right wifi dongle), the software is my own software BTW

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfXUOkdCNac[/youtube-hd]
Okta

Post by Okta »

Do you have more info or a blog with your setup Cyber? I would really like a toy like that.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Okta wrote:Do you have more info or a blog with your setup Cyber? I would really like a toy like that.
Its not a toy! :D

I did a new thread for it since its somewhat connected to augmented reality

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=14299" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

just a heads up, looks like more delays directly from sony. the site now says 2/21 for shipment.

i canceled and found something off ebay before the prices go up again there... hopefully this week i'll have it in hand/on head.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

jayoh wrote:just a heads up, looks like more delays directly from sony. the site now says 2/21 for shipment.

i canceled and found something off ebay before the prices go up again there... hopefully this week i'll have it in hand/on head.
bad news for all of us :/
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Been using the HMD almost 1 month and I would say the display is very good. Recently I try out winter cap for comfort mod and it feels quite comfortable. Going to try out Dead Space 2 soon using roll as secondary fire. Need to modify the script to fit Dead Space 2 gaming style.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well its in stock now, says its shipping tomorrow.

Was about to buy it myself (got all the way to end of checkout), but I have a vacation coming up soon and I need to save some money :(
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

cybereality wrote:Well its in stock now, says its shipping tomorrow.

Was about to buy it myself (got all the way to end of checkout), but I have a vacation coming up soon and I need to save some money :(
Buy it now worry later is my motto :D
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I just read on a Swedish Home theater foum that Sony Center Stockholm had givn a guy on that forum a new date for shipping.. May 7th

:o :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

May is heavy, the last i heard for germany was march...
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

STRZ wrote:May is heavy, the last i heard for germany was march...
Called Sony Center and that guy told me that there is an "uncofirmed" shipping date of middle February..
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

March was for new orders afaik, the pending ones are shipped possibly in Ferbruary. But it wouldn't surprise if it differs from country to country. Some ordered their HMZ araound christmas in Austria and got it shipped immediately to Germany, very lucky.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Yeah there were a couple of lucky bastards here in Sweden too that got their units before x-mas :/
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

got mine in yesterday -- this thing is pretty impressive but i think i'm experiencing some glitches. i'm using nvidia 3dtv play to play games from my computer. i think i am still experiencing ghosting, but this is my first time playing with 3d.

some games shadows look broken, but that is up to the game, not the hmz-t1.

but, ghosting, if that's what i am seeing, is what's bothering me the most right now. any tips, tricks, advice? i thought this thing was supposed to elimate that 100%.

also, i found using a winter cap really helps with the comfort level. i just gave it an hour workout and no sore forehead like last night.
ERP
Cross Eyed!

Post by ERP »

jayoh wrote:got mine in yesterday -- this thing is pretty impressive but i think i'm experiencing some glitches. i'm using nvidia 3dtv play to play games from my computer. i think i am still experiencing ghosting, but this is my first time playing with 3d.

but, ghosting, if that's what i am seeing, is what's bothering me the most right now. any tips, tricks, advice? i thought this thing was supposed to elimate that 100%.

also, i found using a winter cap really helps with the comfort level. i just gave it an hour workout and no sore forehead like last night.
There will be no ghosting/Xtalk, you have separate image paths for both eyes.
What's more likely is you're seeing some sort of game specific artifact, very very few games are artifact free in 3D.
Can you describe what you're seeing?
take a screen shot?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@jayoh: You won't be seeing ghosting on an HMD, it uses 2 independent OLED microdisplays. Ghosting is usually do to viewing both eyes on a single screen, where the display mechanisms are not perfect, so one image will bleed into the next. With an HMD you do not have that problem, since each eye has its own display. What you may be seeing is binocular disparity, which can be uncomfortable if you are not experienced with 3D. This is what create the 3D effect, but having the left and right eye see a slightly different image. But if the effect is extreme (for example, with aggressive 3d settings or a badly configured game) then your brain will not be able to fuse the images together. So you will probably want to tone the settings down a bit. You can also try adjusting the convergence and seeing if that helps.

Also, maybe I am getting the wrong here. If you could explain a bit more about what you are seeing it would be easier to help.
Magnustokai
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Magnustokai »

jayoh wrote:got mine in yesterday -- this thing is pretty impressive but i think i'm experiencing some glitches. i'm using nvidia 3dtv play to play games from my computer. i think i am still experiencing ghosting, but this is my first time playing with 3d.

Try using Iz3d drivers. I use the side by side mode on IZ3d and play games in 1080p. The HMD scales it down to 720p but it gets rid of aliasing. Even on the lowest depth setting you get a great 3d effect and looks even better with higher depth. With 3dtv which I have your stuck playing games in 720p with no anti aliasing which you might have confused with ghosting or 1080p at 24hz which is awful for anything other than still pictures. The Tridef Drivers in side by side mode also work well.

This HMD is the best 3d display I have ever used. I've tried vuzix vr920 but the resolution was too low and there was color gradation. It was good for older games like max payne with its blocky levels but with modern games you notice the limits of the device. Then I tried the iz3d monitor. There was too much ghosting which detracted from the 3d effect. The last 3d display I had was the Panasonic shutterglass display. The problem with this was brightness, since shutter glass cuts it in half. The image also lost some color and it didn't do well with movies and games with lots of dark color elements. With bright outdoor scenes it did pretty well and there was no ghosting but most games are shades of brown these days.

The HMZ-T1 solves all of those problems. It is sharp, full color, full brightness, No ghosting, I can play games with no aliasing, 2d content looks amazing, it uses hdmi, it has a tv menu to adjust settings like contrast, sharpness, etc, the size of the screen is equivalent to sitting in the back of a movie theater or sitting 3 feet from a 42 inch television at least when compared to my panasonic. Even though it is 720p the image quality looks like it is 1080p. You do have to adjust the headset well or you will get blurring on the edges and your eyes have to be pretty close to the viewer so wearing glasses might be a problem.

It Supports side by side and over and under although it got a little tricky. Apparently if you have the nvidia 3dtv drivers enabled and auto 3d mode in the HMD settings ON, you can't change the 3d format to side by side, over and under manually. You have to disable both of those before you can manually change 3d format. This was necessary to use IZ3d and DDD.

I didn't find it heavy but the device does leave a mark on your forehead after long use.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

What do you think of this headband?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ChCm5Up1ho[/youtube]
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

thanks for your input guys. i was able to isolate some of the issues to the game itself (just cause 2, need for speed: the run).

i believe my eyes just aren't accustomed to this, but it is seemingly getting better. plus i gave batman: arkam city a spin last night AND had very little issues. i was completely blown away. truly a glimpse into the future. rocksteady did a bang up job with the 3d support. it was like peeking into a dollhouse and controlling the characters.

i will say the feeling i got from need for speed ultimately is what i'm looking for. i had a much more visceral experience with it, felt it in my gut. i plan on trying some other racing games soon. any recommendations?
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Try out Dirt 3 which support 3D Vision and Head tracking. Should be awesome with racing rig.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Flatout 2 is an old arcade racer that works really well in 3D. No head tracking but great 3D effects.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

iRacing has a great 3d effect, also supports headtracking, if you have the time and want to get serious with virtual motorsport, like the US racing series then i won't hesitate to join. it's epensive if you see it as game but not really if you see it as hobby.

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S41LR1MdhQA[/youtube-hd]
http://www.iracing.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are lots of more simulators but the ones which would please you graphically coming from NFS and the like are still in Beta status except iRacing. if it doesn't matter or you just want to try out a real sim i can recommend Live for Speed wich is quite old ( but gold ) and has a good demo version. Headtracking supportet. Just download the demo for free and give it a go visiting the ingame driving school and race against the AI, later if you get along you could join a community and race online against others.

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfxQ-XigikE[/youtube-hd]
http://www.lfs.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And watch out for project CARS or Rfactor2, both still in open alpha/beta status. Both very cool aswell with large communities behind.

BTT:

Some people from Austria reportet in a german forum that when they have placed their order yesterday they got already the confirmation that they will receive the successor model instead of the HMZ-T1 !

Don't know if it will be a entirely new model or just a refresh and design update, but !!
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

I had done the comfort mod using the suspension from the 3M safety helmet. This is the best mod, very comfortable and easy to wear. The front is stick to the forehead plastic using velcro tape and both side secure with cable tie. I also use blackout tape to block light leakage from the top. This mod will reduce the light reflection from the lens completely. Direct light normally enter through the top and side, not from bottom so it is not necessary to install light shield.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

pierreye wrote:I had done the comfort mod using the suspension from the 3M safety helmet. This is the best mod, very comfortable and easy to wear. The front is stick to the forehead plastic using velcro tape and both side secure with cable tie. I also use blackout tape to block light leakage from the top. This mod will reduce the light reflection from the lens completely. Direct light normally enter through the top and side, not from bottom so it is not necessary to install light shield.
Looks nice, but I heard that the displays get to far away if you use the bigger forehead pad, and that looks even thicker.. do you get good focus?
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

The padding is actually quite thin. I had to slightly tighten the clip to pull the screen closer to the eye. I can try to take out the forehead plastic and stick the headband to the smaller piece of plastic in front so that the distance to the eye is nearer.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/SCEA-S ... 14622.html

In general - I don't think news like this bodes well for a second iteration of the HMZ-T1. I would guess that a niche "research" project like this would be one of the first things to get cut during a restructuring phase. I hope I'm wrong.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

The second batch should already be completed or very close to completion so I think we who have preordered last year or early this year are safe....

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”