Oculus Rift: Driving PC hardware?

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Oculus Rift: Driving PC hardware?

Post by cybereality »

PC games have gotten a lot better in the past few years. Usually you can just install them (on Steam) and press play and the default configuration will select reasonable settings. I do remember the days when you had to manually edit autoexe.cfg files and stuff like that. Its not like that anymore. Sure, if you really want to tweak the settings, you can do that. That is part of what the PC is all about. But you don't have to it you don't want to.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

cybereality wrote:PC games have gotten a lot better in the past few years. Usually you can just install them (on Steam) and press play and the default configuration will select reasonable settings. I do remember the days when you had to manually edit autoexe.cfg files and stuff like that. Its not like that anymore. Sure, if you really want to tweak the settings, you can do that. That is part of what the PC is all about. But you don't have to it you don't want to.

truth be known, I'm grumbling a bit. I bought my first set of PC components in about 6 years... 3 months ago. My mobo finally blew, and I finally had to upgrade. I needed everything. But I had no reason at the time, to buy any premium or even mid level parts. So I cheaped out on everything. But I still have not put those cheap parts together, I'm using a spare laptop right now. As usual, even the fans look different these days. Everything has changed.

So I've got brand new cheap parts...unused, getting older every day..and some of them are useless for running the rift. Specifically CPU and video. video so slow..it's fanless. (ah..quiet!) And new PS required, and..and... I never expected to need speed again.

Ah well, such is life. :P

I walked away right about the same time steam began taking shape. I know nothing about it, as I tend to play games off line, single player, only. No on line.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Pyry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pyry »

ICEMANPAULWALL wrote:
Pyry wrote:
Nintendo is disappointed in its 16 million Wii-U sales because it was expecting somewhere around 24 million sold. .
Where did you get that number. They wanted to sell 5.5 mil in 2012 and dropped it to 4. http://wiiudaily.com/2013/02/wii-u-sold ... -analysts/

Ouya as a threat to Sony and Microsoft :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hah, you're right, I did some hasty skimming, and it's 16 million Wii-U GAME sales that Nintendo finds disappointing. I don't think either the Rift or the Ouya are real threats to companies which find 4 million sales to be serious failures. However, the Ouya (a product aiming to be a cheaper, mass-market competitor that appeals to 'casual' gamers) is likely seen as more of a threat than the Rift (an expensive niche peripheral for PCs that mainly appeals to 'hardcore' gamers who play FPSs).
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

cybereality wrote:PC games have gotten a lot better in the past few years. Usually you can just install them (on Steam) and press play and the default configuration will select reasonable settings. I do remember the days when you had to manually edit autoexe.cfg files and stuff like that. Its not like that anymore. Sure, if you really want to tweak the settings, you can do that. That is part of what the PC is all about. But you don't have to it you don't want to.

You know I used to hate Steam with a passion....some days I still do. I missed being about to do what I want with games and even pass them on to my dad after a few years.

But now with Steams DIRT cheap sales, Its hard to pass up...Especially those black Friday sales. It is nice to have that access to those games without having to buy a CD...it does make it easier but longer to install.
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

besides the personal dislike for someone else controlling my software, I don't have a high speed connection. Not that fast, anyway. I'd be waiting for days, to download a game. I've tried to download simple upgrades and been stymied.

I've always paid for my games. the only game I never paid for, oddly enough, is ....Wolfenstein 3-D! Hacked that one...(which in retrospect, was easy, compared to how strange it seemed to get in the following years).
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

Return to “Oculus VR”