The Sony HMD is real!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Re: The Sony HMD is real!

Post by fireslayer26 »

@Pierreye- That looks awesome! Can't wait to see a video of it in action!
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
mAchiNE
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mAchiNE »

pierreye wrote:VR Gaming update.

One word, superb. This is the dream setup I had been waiting for.
Mate I am jelous! :mrgreen:
Looks awesome I need to get myself a setup like that!, you should try getting the 3rd space vest and use that to mount everything on, the you will get haptic feedback when you get shot!

What games have you tested this on? and how long does your battery pack last?
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

I want to get a 3rd space vest but the company do not respond to any enquiry so I give up plus software support sucks.
The battery pack should last at least 2.5 hours but I'm tired and sweating after an hour of gaming. So far, I only tested Modern Warfare 2 and the 50 degree FOV is good enough for gaming. Didn't feel like looking at tiny stamp size image and very immersive in 3D.

Guys, if you want VR, this is it. Thinking to add on Kinect for jumping and crouching command.

@Cyber - What software do you use to superimpose the second video into primary video?
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Looks great Pierreye! Jealous of your setup now!

Also, looking forward to seeing how PalmerTech gets on with the optics mods!
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

@pierreye
Yeah TN Games is bad like that, I've never gotten a response to my emails either.... but it works very well IMO on the games it works with (mostly COD games)

What battery Pack did you end up using?
also maybe you can use the Wii mote to detect jumping/crouching? using the accelerometer not the gyro
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@pierreye: Awesome man! Nice work. Looks like a impressive setup. Now I am even more excited to try out the HMZ-T1 with 3D gaming (since I only demoed it in the store on a 2D movie). I'd love to see a quick video of the setup if you have time. The software I use to edit my videos is MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus. It supports 3D, even with effects like text overlays, picture-in-picture, etc. Very good for the price (especially since I won it for free in a contest on this site).

Also, I agree that the 3rd Space Vest is disappointing. Not because it doesn't work, it works great. Its just that the driver sucks and support is non-existent. If there was good software support it would be awesome, but sadly so few games even work. Plus, it would complicate a wireless and/or backtop type of setup.
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

@cyber
yeah I agree about the support being crap but I don't think is going to complicte the setup much, pierreye already has a 12V battery to power it and the data might be able to go through the wireless USB port on the WAVI, it would however complicate a backtop system as you would need to add the 12V battery to power it (but woulnd't have to transmit the USB data wirelessly though) If the main games being played on the system are COD games then it will work fine, other games might be a bit more iffy (battlefield bad company 2 for example is suposed to work but does not :( )
Current System:
Previous 3D Systems:
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Guys, I'll shoot the video after X'mas. Will add-on additional MotionPlus for head tracking. One thing I can't show you guys is how good the image quality is. Focusing is pretty relax once you found the right position.

@Machine - The battery pack is Energizer XP18000. It comes with 3 simultaneous output, 19v, 10.5v and 5v. I ordered the willy cable that step down 19v to 12v to power up the Belkin 50w inverter. 10.5v is connected to ASUS WAVI (which is 12v but running fine).
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

pierreye wrote:Guys, I'll shoot the video after X'mas. Will add-on additional MotionPlus for head tracking. One thing I can't show you guys is how good the image quality is. Focusing is pretty relax once you found the right position.

@Machine - The battery pack is Energizer XP18000. It comes with 3 simultaneous output, 19v, 10.5v and 5v. I ordered the willy cable that step down 19v to 12v to power up the Belkin 50w inverter. 10.5v is connected to ASUS WAVI (which is 12v but running fine).

did u open up the processor box of sony and make changes to make it compatible with Energizer XP18000 power output connections - how did u do it ?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

pierreye wrote:Guys, I'll shoot the video after X'mas. Will add-on additional MotionPlus for head tracking. One thing I can't show you guys is how good the image quality is. Focusing is pretty relax once you found the right position.

Whats the input voltage at the controller box side? Wouldn't it be possible to connect a RC Lipo directly to the box?
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

I just use the inverter to convert 12v to 110v. Didn't open up the processor box and rip out the transformer.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

pierreye wrote:I just use the inverter to convert 12v to 110v. Didn't open up the processor box and rip out the transformer.
Does the box take wall voltage? Thats unusal most modern equipment has an external ac-adapter
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Yes. The processor take 110v as the input voltage.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I took apart my control box, and the only output from the internal transformer is 5V. I wired an external plug to mine so I can run it off my portable battery.
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

PalmerTech wrote:I took apart my control box, and the only output from the internal transformer is 5V. I wired an external plug to mine so I can run it off my portable battery.
Awesome! so with a small modification it can run off the 5V out on the Enegizer battery pack freeing up the 12V for other devices and removing the need for an inverter! great news :D
Current System:
Previous 3D Systems:
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:I took apart my control box, and the only output from the internal transformer is 5V. I wired an external plug to mine so I can run it off my portable battery.
did u succeed in making it 'glasses style' u were working on ?

guess if can mold-cast a 'glasses style' casing so that all we have to do is to take the 'assembly' out and put it in the mold......is that possible ?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Cool, then I can run it of a 11.1V lipo with a converter.... All i need now to get it to work with FPV flight is a good and not too expensive Composite > HDMI. Sadly all FPV systems today use composite for range and stability (Digital signals tend to break up too easily) and there are no FPV receivers i know of that output HDMI
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

ancjob wrote:

guess if can mold-cast a 'glasses style' casing so that all we have to do is to take the 'assembly' out and put it in the mold......is that possible ?
It is about 90% done, but I had to leave it before quite finishing, I am out of town for Christmas! I don't think a replacement casing is likely, mainly because these Olympus lenses (Very similar to the Z800 prism lenses) are in very short supply. Making more is certainly possible, but far beyond the scope of my project. Even if it were possible, my mod requires stripping the HMZ down to the bare minimum. Most of it was easy, but removing the last parts of the OLED frame is pretty tricky to do without breaking the panels!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:
ancjob wrote:

It is about 90% done, but I had to leave it before quite finishing, I am out of town for Christmas! I don't think a replacement casing is likely, mainly because these Olympus lenses (Very similar to the Z800 prism lenses) are in very short supply. Making more is certainly possible, but far beyond the scope of my project. Even if it were possible, my mod requires stripping the HMZ down to the bare minimum. Most of it was easy, but removing the last parts of the OLED frame is pretty tricky to do without breaking the panels!
wow! you are quite daring to rip open the sony thing....
still hoping someone 'd come out with custom 'glasses style case' to put the 'internal-assembly' in
one cannot be sure what the Japanese can do!

BTW - palmer now you have sony as well as headplay both - so can you answers the following :

1)which has the best image - color / sharpness / brightness / contrast - sony OR headplay since both are diff. technologies [OLED vs LCoS] ?

2)is the image 'very far' in sony and pleasant/relaxing to look at - compared with that of headplay ?

3)does putting the padded mod [ http://www.blazin3d.com/catalog/item/80 ... 095948.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ] help in relieving the pressure on forehead ? have u tried a mod like that ? does it work to use the set for long hrs [2.5hrs+] ?

4)image/focus adjustment is it more difficult in case of sony than on headplay ?

5)can the sony be considered an 'great' upgrade from headplay - what's your take on this ?

plz reply
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

@Palmer - How many amp needed for 5v? Based on my calculation of 15w consumption, it need 5v, 3amp which is more than what Energizer XP18000 can supply for 5v @ 1 amp.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Good to hear the HMZ just takes normal voltage internally (as expected).

PalmerTech, are there any signs that the internal power supply can take 240V as well as 120V?
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Wired, I dont have the hmz but I would guess not. If it was able to use 250v they would probalbly included a switch to choose 250/110. If you post a picture of the inside of the control box I may be able to give you a better answer.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

bobv5 wrote:Wired, I dont have the hmz but I would guess not. If it was able to use 250v they would probalbly included a switch to choose 250/110. If you post a picture of the inside of the control box I may be able to give you a better answer.
right bobv5 - that's called 'voltage selector' wish they had included this to make it for entire world.....
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Here's the short video playing COD:MW2. The battery pack and inverter are in the front pocket. The processor box and ASUS WAVI are secure to the back using flexible velcro strap. The VR gaming feel much more realistic compare to mouse/keyboard combo.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnbUsgJpKqs[/youtube]
Last edited by pierreye on Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Super cool!!!!

Only one thing, maybe increase the Yaw sensitivity a bit? You have to move a lot now to move just a bit in the game..

Also, very cool that you Roll the weapon to reload :D
Okta

Post by Okta »

Very nice. I agree with cybervillian, looks like you need to up the mouse sensitivity, one to one mouse tracking isnt necessary for immersive VR.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

:woot Awesome work! This is what I've been waiting on for years!!
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Very nice video pierreye!
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Will try to fine tune the turning speed. Need to balance between speed and aiming accuracy. I'll add on head tracking next week. Still sourcing for additional Wiimote Plus.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Hows the input lag? Looks like some? Or is it just the speed mentioned earlier?
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

I fine tune in the way that it is less sensitive to hand micro movement when in iron sight mode (50% less sensitive). That's why you see that slight movement doesn't move the cursor much for fine aiming. No lag during game play.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Really awesome! Nice work.

I'm my experiments I found 1:1 mapping to be more work than its worth (even though I used it for my video). With the tracking more sensitive it definitely seemed more fun and intuitive.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Thread took an off-topic direction, so I split it to here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=14165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very, very cool looking setup! Can't wait to hear how it goes with head tracking.
Corex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Corex »

CyberVillain wrote:Hows the input lag? Looks like some? Or is it just the speed mentioned earlier?
I'm interested in this too, anyone have an input on the subject?
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

I don't feel the lag is an issue here. The trigger and aiming are pretty accurate and playable. I'm going to try out faster turning speed today.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

New 3D Viewer model for 2012 officially confirmed!
NEWS.AT: Und wann ist mit dem Nachfolgemodell des 3D Viewer zu rechnen?
Janesch: Wir bei Sony gehen derzeit von einem jährlichen Update aus. Und es wird definitiv 2012 das nächste Modell erscheinen, genaue Daten haben wir aber noch nicht.

Q: And when can we expect a successor of the 3D Viewer?
A: We from Sony expect a yearly update, the next model will see light definitively in 2012, we don't have a certain releasedate yet..
http://www.news.at/articles/1149/542/31 ... pt-zukunft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Sony guy said aswell that they plan to release two models, one in the pricerange of the T1, and another cheaper one for the mass market.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

AWesome.

If the cheapo one doesn't suck, we could have mass market vr in less than five years.....
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

does not look like there will be better ergonomic design - it's the same design ...i do not know what changes are supposed to be in 2012 model...?
i am waiting for 'glasses-style' design with rest just the same as was before
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

ancjob wrote:does not look like there will be better ergonomic design - it's the same design
Why do you think that? The picture at the top is just a stock picture of an HMZ-T1, it is not a picture of the newer model.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

STRZ wrote:New 3D Viewer model for 2012 officially confirmed!

http://www.news.at/articles/1149/542/31 ... pt-zukunft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Sony guy said aswell that they plan to release two models, one in the pricerange of the T1, and another cheaper one for the mass market.
Isnt the HMZ cheapo already, better they make one twice as expensive and put some extra FOV and comfort into the package.. I dont want cheaper stuff I want better stuff!

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”