The Sony HMD is real!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Osobari
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: The Sony HMD is real!

Post by Osobari »

ancjob wrote:
pierreye wrote:I have wait for ages for a good HMD and Sony HMD is the first one to tick most of my must have checkbox as a good HMD. Well, you only live once and I always believe earlier is better. I never save the best for last if I can afford. You never know what will happen tomorrow.
pal there are portable options like st1080 and cinemizer OLED and also epson HMD....2012 will see a lot of HMDs for consumers.....credit goes to Sony to have started the war of the HMDs for 'which is the best' - so far we had the vuzix making expensive sub-par toys now with Sony the challange is to beat Sony in it's 'HMD' game hence you have companies trying to outsmart Sony - so waiting is the virtue :lol:
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the ST1080 and the Cinemizer OLED the most. I think I like the Cinemizer the most since I don't have to wear my glasses with it, which I'd have to for the HMZ-T1 and the ST1080.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

PalmerTech wrote:Why are "good" optics so hard to manufacture? We're talking about glass purity and precision shaping right? Aren't these centuries old technologies? Why can they create such ultra pure and precise silicon crystal wafers for the electronics and not precision glass for the optics? Is it simply an economy of scales problem (no large fabs built for lens creation) or is it a fundamentally more challenging problem in some way?

If you are using glass, then yes, you can create very precise, precision optics. Problem is, it costs a LOT to make precise glass optics; Look at decent telescope eyepieces, for example. They can cost upwards of $500! Plus, glass is heavy, which is a big deal in an HMD.

That means that using plastic (acrylic) lenses is the only realistic solution. Good acrylic lenses are not ground like glass, they are made using a mold. Problem is, molds are a bit unpredictable, especially in regards to cooling compression. Designing precision molds that compensate for these defects is expensive and takes a lot of skill/luck/attempts. Even worse, the larger the lens is, the more expensive the mold is!

The Sony optics are really, really good, probably the best I have seen in a consumer HMD. All the time they took to get it right shows.
I understand that it is difficult to make precision optics of any kind because of the necessary purities, precision, and yield problems. But those seem like the exact type of issues that are encountered in making electronics. It's hard to grow perfect crystals and get all those circuits etched on there perfectly, but they have somehow overcome all those issues. It's amazing to me that I can go out and buy a CPU for $100 that (seemingly) requires a level of precision engineering at least an order of magnitude greater than a simple lens. Put simply - why do I have to pay 10 times as much for a component that requires 1/10th the engineering of a modern microprocessor? Is it simply economies of scale?
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Aeroflux wrote:
ancjob wrote:
pierreye wrote:I have wait for ages for a good HMD and Sony HMD is the first one to tick most of my must have checkbox as a good HMD. Well, you only live once and I always believe earlier is better. I never save the best for last if I can afford. You never know what will happen tomorrow.
pal there are portable options like st1080 and cinemizer OLED and also epson HMD....2012 will see a lot of HMDs for consumers.....credit goes to Sony to have started the war of the HMDs for 'which is the best' - so far we had the vuzix making expensive sub-par toys now with Sony the challange is to beat Sony in it's 'HMD' game hence you have companies trying to outsmart Sony - so waiting is the virtue :lol:
Indeed. The chain of events that led up to my demise in ordering the Sony HMD make a convincing case for fate as a tangible force in the universe. After so many years sitting on the sidelines and watching for something good, the resident motivation became a palpable rage as I turned from one of the first to know and pre-order to a castaway on the ocean of static which Sony nurtures lovingly...like a harpy slowly roasting it's young. Patience...through will or fate. Indeed.
Anyone still remember TDVisor? First to promise 720p HMD coming soon that in the end become a vaporware? I don't believe press release without seeing an actual working product. I don't really think ST1080 will be mass produce in 2012 as we all know the cost/price involved to get a good 1080p HMD but Cinemizer OLED is more realistic but again as mention in the specs, the FOV would be smaller than Sony. So I don't see any HMD in the horizon that can challenge Sony HMZ-T1. I don't want to die with regret!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

pierreye wrote: Anyone still remember TDVisor? First to promise 720p HMD coming soon that in the end become a vaporware? I don't believe press release without seeing an actual working product. I don't really think ST1080 will be mass produce in 2012 as we all know the cost/price involved to get a good 1080p HMD but Cinemizer OLED is more realistic but again as mention in the specs, the FOV would be smaller than Sony. So I don't see any HMD in the horizon that can challenge Sony HMZ-T1. I don't want to die with regret!
at the time Tdvisor was announced - no other company was interested but now with Sony there is a lot of interest in the HMD hence you have st1080,cinemizer,epson etc in the fray soon

yes but increased fov came with bulky size and lack of portability for sony......
for me fov 35 is good as it gets into peripheral vision...anything higher then it has to be fabulous optics to position four corners with vision for 'effortless' focus....something only accomplished by eMagin so far - i doubt sony 'd have done............
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

@Brantlew: It is economies of scale to a certain degree. If millions of HMDs were being sold, then yes, economies of scale would help make the optics cheap enough.

@Ancjob: I have not made a full review yet because I am too busy, but the HMZ-T1 has a better exit pupil than the Z800. In my opinion, the Sony optics are superior.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Really, those other HMDs are pretty much vaporware at this point. The Sony is great quality, way better than any other options, and its a real product (sadly still on back-order). Realistically we are not going to see a better HMD until far into next year, maybe longer. Think about this guys, when did the Z800 come out? When did the VR920 come out? Its been years with nearly nothing. This is it.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

PalmerTech wrote:I have not made a full review yet because I am too busy, but the HMZ-T1 has a better exit pupil than the Z800. In my opinion, the Sony optics are superior.
It's good to hear that your impressions of the device are favorable. I'm curious to hear your take on the unit as a whole.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Surely the whole problem with high FOV was solved years ago with LEEP lenses. Why can we not get quality acrylic LEEP lenses? Are they too big/heavy to install in a small HMD or something?

The HMZ looks like the best HMD to come out in years, but without a better FOV its not really VR in my opinion, just a head mounted display. I'm actually thinking about not buying one and going the DIY path of building a HMD with better FOV, simply because I dont know if its going to improve things that much over my Z800. Have one of Fireslayers MRG's as a starting point...

However, I guess the unit will allow me to play modern games using a HMD (Skyrim, yay!) so it might be worthwhile for me still. Although, i've heard of conversion units that can convert 3D formats. I'm wondering if I could buy one of those for <$300, and then use it to play all the modern games on my Z800?
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:@Brantlew: It is economies of scale to a certain degree. If millions of HMDs were being sold, then yes, economies of scale would help make the optics cheap enough.

@Ancjob: I have not made a full review yet because I am too busy, but the HMZ-T1 has a better exit pupil than the Z800. In my opinion, the Sony optics are superior.

please Palmer - do review the sony making comparisons with headplay primarily.......as i still consider headplay having the best image so far albeit the optics....

u made me optimistic since you say sony has better optics than z800.....z800 has the ONLY advantage that it incorporates great optics resulting in 'effortless' focus........
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

LEEP style lenses only work with displays that are 3" or larger, not useful for the microdisplays used in these HMDs. High FOV is not all that hard to do with the right lenses, but you need to make size/weight sacrifices. Though the PR4 weighs less than the HMZ-T1... ;)

I will try to do that, Ancjob. I have not had enough time to play with the HMZ available for my use, I want to play with it more before giving a final verdict.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

i do not see the change in dimensions of the 'control box' of Sony HMD for uk version

it's the same as us version - difference is for volage only

just becoz of above fact -uk version [240V 50/60Hz] is GBP 70 [usd$100] higher than it 'd be [approx GBP 520]

why is that they did not make 'universal voltage 110v-240V 50/60Hz' processor box ? i wonder.....Sony are u reading this ?
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Aeroflux wrote: Indeed. The chain of events that led up to my demise in ordering the Sony HMD make a convincing case for fate as a tangible force in the universe. After so many years sitting on the sidelines and watching for something good, the resident motivation became a palpable rage as I turned from one of the first to know and pre-order to a castaway on the ocean of static which Sony nurtures lovingly...like a harpy slowly roasting it's young. Patience...through will or fate. Indeed.
Pretty far out there dude! Too many meds or not enough? :)
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

@ PalmerTech:
LEEP style lenses only work with displays that are 3" or larger, not useful for the microdisplays used in these HMDs. High FOV is not all that hard to do with the right lenses, but you need to make size/weight sacrifices. Though the PR4 weighs less than the HMZ-T1...
Well then, where the HELL are my high FOV HMD's. You'd think with bigger displays it would be easier to find higher resolutions. I dont care about a little extra weight, with the right helmet design (so it sits on your head, not sucked to the front of your face) those problems can be mitigated. I just want my VR (I dont consider ANY of the current HMDs including the Sony 'real' VR) and I want it NOW. Your PR4 sounds great ;)

So, why is there not a reasonably price HMD (say, the $1000 range) using LEEP and some bigger displays with decent res? You'd think they'd be a market even for small amounts of them, compared with the prices of some of the existing professional ones.
ERP
Cross Eyed!

Post by ERP »

WiredEarp wrote:@ PalmerTech:
LEEP style lenses only work with displays that are 3" or larger, not useful for the microdisplays used in these HMDs. High FOV is not all that hard to do with the right lenses, but you need to make size/weight sacrifices. Though the PR4 weighs less than the HMZ-T1...
Well then, where the HELL are my high FOV HMD's. You'd think with bigger displays it would be easier to find higher resolutions. I dont care about a little extra weight, with the right helmet design (so it sits on your head, not sucked to the front of your face) those problems can be mitigated. I just want my VR (I dont consider ANY of the current HMDs including the Sony 'real' VR) and I want it NOW. Your PR4 sounds great ;)

So, why is there not a reasonably price HMD (say, the $1000 range) using LEEP and some bigger displays with decent res? You'd think they'd be a market even for small amounts of them, compared with the prices of some of the existing professional ones.
Nobody thinks they can sell bulky displays to people.
The assumption is the market wants compact lightweight designs, and this is why you end up with the plethora of <40 degree FOV HMDs.

From a DIY standpoint if you could source suitable displays and drive electronics, you could build something pretty compelling IMO. You'd need a software driver that could deal with <100% overlap, but I actually don't think that's a difficult hack to do on top of existing drivers.
It's a pity the IPhone retina display can't be practically driven from a PC.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

ERP wrote:You'd need a software driver that could deal with <100% overlap, but I actually don't think that's a difficult hack to do on top of existing drivers.
I am making some progress on my 3D driver which will, of course, support all that type of stuff. Very early right now, but I'm on the job.
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

If you were MUCH smarter then me there MAY be a way to get a custom hmd to work hardware based rather then software.Using a device that set ups dual projectors to display 3d.(optoma 3d xl for example.) It may work with two displays that are not projectors. I dont imagine it could tell difference.

I wish someone would figure out a way maybe using mirrors or some kind of special tubing(like the ones military uses to see inside rooms from around corners"snake camera") to make a hmd using two projectors. Like portable projector with low lumens (would have low light loss due to small screen and perfect enclosure) Would be cheap to build and easy to upgrade. Just takes a genius to figure out how to build it.
mAchiNE
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mAchiNE »

eqzitara1 wrote:If you were MUCH smarter then me there MAY be a way to get a custom hmd to work hardware based rather then software.Using a device that set ups dual projectors to display 3d.(optoma 3d xl for example.) It may work with two displays that are not projectors. I dont imagine it could tell difference.

I wish someone would figure out a way maybe using mirrors or some kind of special tubing(like the ones military uses to see inside rooms from around corners"snake camera") to make a hmd using two projectors. Like portable projector with low lumens (would have low light loss due to small screen and perfect enclosure) Would be cheap to build and easy to upgrade. Just takes a genius to figure out how to build it.
I'm pretty sure those "snake cameras" don't have any kind of special optical tubing, just a camera on the end of a tube that can be bent around corners, it will just have a wire running down the tube transferring the signal to the display at the other end
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

I didnt mean the actual device per say. I ment like tubing with mirrors.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

i have my card ready but holding on to my patience to wait to hear regd. ST1080 and cinemizer OLED first....no word on pricing yet

let they declare if the price is > usd$800 and i will pre-order sony HMD without a wink....

ST1080 - SMD were saying that refer here : http://www.siliconmicrodisplay.com/buy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it's december already .....
but the regd. pricing that's what it says : "Product goes on sale December 2011" Price: TBD

no word on cinemizer OLED yet......

i suspect both to be just "HYPE" no real product on paper.....[vapourware]....
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

The Cinemizer OLED is not vaporware, they are just not hyping it at all. They have a LOT of demo units out there, I really do think they are going to be released within a few months.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

But cinemizer OLED FOV is around 35 degree diagonal which is why I strike it out. Looks like there are some active modding activity going on at avsforum that try to address 2 issues - 1. Comfort , 2. Light reflection in the lens. With a center strap from the head pad to the back strip plus a counterweight should solved the front heavy issue. Another mod involve tapping the side of the lens to reduce light leakage that fix the internal reflection some of the users observed.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

pierreye wrote:But cinemizer OLED FOV is around 35 degree diagonal which is why I strike it out. Looks like there are some active modding activity going on at avsforum that try to address 2 issues - 1. Comfort , 2. Light reflection in the lens. With a center strap from the head pad to the back strip plus a counterweight should solved the front heavy issue. Another mod involve tapping the side of the lens to reduce light leakage that fix the internal reflection some of the users observed.

for me fov 35 is ok as it gets into peripheral vision and if the optics are ok then focus 'd be 'effortless'

NOT every HMD is eMagin so fov 35 works great for me....
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

35 is way too low for VR, and is really small even for normal gaming. I'd even take a 22" monitor over a 35 degree HMD. No point really.
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

I'd agree FOV 35 or less is very small, but I have found subjective screen size can be very odd especially when it comes to HMD's

For example, when I sit at my computer desk my 22" monitor seems subjectively only about 25% smaller than my 110" projector screen due to the distance between myself and the displays, however the 110" screen still seems a lot larger than the 22" and the 3D effect is much better, this is because there is real world reference, i.e i can see my couch relative to the screen, I think this gives the sense of scale you get from the large screen even though it is further away, while the large screen seems subjectively only 25% bigger that the 22" the sense of scale on the 22" is very small.

When it comes to HMDs all sense of distance to the screen is generally removed making it hard to get a sense of scale, so while technically a 35deg FOV is the same as a 60" screen from 8ft away or what ever, it does not seem as large as a 60" screen, i think if the optics can give you the sense that the screen is further away somehow then the screen might seem larger with the same FOV, by the sounds of it SONY may have acheived this with this HMZ-T1 as some reviewers do say that it has a very large screen effect when using it.

I think also once the FOV gets past a certian point (i.e. the edges of the screen are well into your perfieral vision) then this problem may no longer exist as you will start to feel like you are in the virtual world rather than looking into a virtual screen

@Cyber
so judging by your last comment the Wrap 1200VR is a waste of time then?
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I've always wondered what it would feel like if you rendered a "screen" in virtual space so that instead of the movie or desktop always perpendicular to your eyes it would actually be projected onto a huge movie screen size rectangle in virtual space just like sitting in a movie theater and being able to look away from it and walk closer to it. It's sort of a cheat - if you looked straight into the screen it would still just fill your entire 35 FOV, but the ability to look away from it and sense the contextual space around it that mAchiNE is talking about might give you the illusion that your screen was huge.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

As you say, once you get to a certain FOV, despite being able to see the edges, you can easily forget about them and gain immersion. I've had this a few times with the Z800, however, I dont think its really achievable consistently with anything < 60 degree FOV. The Virtuality system had visible edges and was not as immersive as I would like, however you could often experience some immersion. I don't really see the point with HMDs < 60 degree FOV. Its _NOT_ VR, its just a head mounted video display.

If we could get 60 degree plus immersion, it would be acceptable. 80+ would be really the minimum. Otherwise, as CR says, its just like watchign a screen. Sure, it floats in front of you and can use head tracking, but its just not a 'reality' in any way.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

brantlew wrote:I've always wondered what it would feel like if you rendered a "screen" in virtual space so that instead of the movie or desktop always perpendicular to your eyes it would actually be projected onto a huge movie screen size rectangle in virtual space just like sitting in a movie theater and being able to look away from it and walk closer to it.
You mean like in this Video @ 4:02 ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 7Prr68jH20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't get this projection HMD idea out of m head since i've seen the video, i know some threads here discussing this sort of ideas, but has anybody here tried to realize it?
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

bobv5 wrote:
Aeroflux wrote: Indeed. The chain of events that led up to my demise in ordering the Sony HMD make a convincing case for fate as a tangible force in the universe. After so many years sitting on the sidelines and watching for something good, the resident motivation became a palpable rage as I turned from one of the first to know and pre-order to a castaway on the ocean of static which Sony nurtures lovingly...like a harpy slowly roasting it's young. Patience...through will or fate. Indeed.
Pretty far out there dude! Too many meds or not enough? :)
It's a pretty simple timeline:

IFA announces Sony HMD officially. Naturally Sony of America doesn't list it on their website.

AVS forums announced they are taking pre-orders. I pre-ordered instantly, and still turned out to be somewhere below the 30th to pre-order.

Sony finally opens pre-orders on their website for North America.

Sony sends an e-mail to dealers stating they won't receive any units because they have reached capacity on their online pre-orders. AVS sales relays this e-mail immediately, around midnight. Realizing that essentially Sony has taken a huge midnight dump on dealers, I pre-order the unit on their website.

Although the initial charge went through, my bank calls to notify me that some form of theft took place at a Chevron gas station. My information was stolen and my account was frozen immediately. A new card was on the way. I called Sony and asked them what should be done about correcting the payment information, as it was time-sensitive. They told me to call back when I get my new card.

Card finally arrives, I give Sony a call. They claim that the "request" has to be forwarded to a "research group". I should get a response within 24-48 business hours.

Sony sends me an e-mail that basically claimed I couldn't change my payment information. I gave them a call and the rep told me I would have to cancel my order and START OVER. I spoke with her supervisor, same bullshit. I told her I wanted to cancel the order. She said she couldn't handle that, the request needed to be sent to yet another "research group".

Last week they finally attempted to charge the voided card and cancelled the order as it wouldn't go through.

The only medication I need is for blood pressure, and the only reason is Sony. What is far out there is that Sony refused to take over $1000 from me, and my grocery store will take any form of payment I can muster.
ERP
Cross Eyed!

Post by ERP »

I can't get this projection HMD idea out of m head since i've seen the video, i know some threads here discussing this sort of ideas, but has anybody here tried to realize it?
Obviously that design doesn't work as shown, using a projector does not absolve the need for optics, although with a larger image the optics can be greatly simplified.

I did some experiments with a pico projector.
The short version is the packaging is hard, my design used a half silvered mirror between the projector and the screen, to make mounting the projector easier but it's difficult to package everything so it fits without a very compact lens system. I guess if the image is large enough it's still doable (my design was a lot more compact than the one in the video), because a single lens is likely sufficient.
If another display with reasonable characteristics could be found, it would probably be easier than trying to use projectors.

I do intend to take another look at it at some point.
Tyns
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tyns »

Anyone gotten the HMZ-T1 working with an AMD GPU? BF3 only renders to one screen in the HMD when I enable S3D.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

That video seems fairly naive. I think we've probably all had that idea of projecting in front of the user, but he has neglected the optics. There is no way you can easily focus on that screen from that distance without some kind of optics - which are the difficult part. Otherwise, theres really not much difference between that design and having a LCD screen mounted in place of the projection screen.

Its a nice idea and I think using projectors has potential to cut costs and weight etc, but there are definitely issues to be solved with the design still.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Let's look at the option realisitically. Can we build a 60 FOV, dual screen OLED/LED (min 720p) which is HDMI 1.4 3D and good optics under USD 1k? I look at the BOM and don't think it is feasible in this stage. So HMZ-T1 is a no brainer for me.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@mAchiNE: The 1200VR is an interesting device if you plan to use it in custom applications that require it. For example hobby VR, research, etc. Its really not that great for just playing games, even a 22" 3D monitor is a better experience. So aside from my excursions into "backtop VR" and some other side-projects I have planned, I would probably not want to seriously game with that headset. The quality is just too low. The HMZ-T1 is clearly a tier above, with more than acceptable image quality. And Sony certainly did something right with the optics, because it looks a lot larger than what you might be used to with 30-35 degree glasses. However what you gain in quality, you lose in mobility. Which is why I say the Vuzix still has a market for certain applications. For example, I like to ride on my exercise bike with my Wrap 310 and watch anime. No way that is possible with the Sony. So it depends on what you want to use it for.

I still think a pico-projection based HMD could work. Using fresnel optics you can focus on a large area that is fairly close to your eyes. I believe using a system like this you can, very cheaply, attain at least 90 degree FOV (maybe more). I've gotten side-tracked with all sorts of stuff, but I do plan on investigating this further.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

WiredEarp wrote:That video seems fairly naive. I think we've probably all had that idea of projecting in front of the user, but he has neglected the optics. There is no way you can easily focus on that screen from that distance without some kind of optics - which are the difficult part. Otherwise, theres really not much difference between that design and having a LCD screen mounted in place of the projection screen.

Its a nice idea and I think using projectors has potential to cut costs and weight etc, but there are definitely issues to be solved with the design still.
30cm eye distance works for me with my 11" netbook, no problem of focussing really.

I'd say, if you mount it just far enough away it could work. I would use it for simracing, mounting the screen and projectors to a racing helmet, the screen sitting more or less just far away enough to focus and beeing able to grab the steering wheel.

Just waiting for Microvision to release 720p pico projectors, then i'll tr it out. If it works.. :woot
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:@mAchiNE: The 1200VR is an interesting device if you plan to use it in custom applications that require it. For example hobby VR, research, etc. Its really not that great for just playing games, even a 22" 3D monitor is a better experience. So aside from my excursions into "backtop VR" and some other side-projects I have planned, I would probably not want to seriously game with that headset. The quality is just too low.
yeah ! nice way of saying that Vuzix 1200vr is a poop or a joke - pal you used a lot too many words just to go roundabout to the same conclusion that the Vuzix 1200VR is a poop....in fact whatever Vuzix makes is a poop......

my advice to stay away from Vuzix...else you see your precious dollars going down the drain....

the great devices to watch out for are ST1080 and the cinemizer OLED......discounting HMZ-T1 for being too bulky......dunno why i get the feeling after reading reviews that it's the HD-OLED based 'Headplay'....
So if no ST1080 or cinemizer OLEd then HMZ-T1 becomes obvious choice else i'd rather avoid HMZ ....unless Sony makes something better and portable....
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

Received the following email this morning. Looks like Sony is very interested in the opinions of those that purchased the HMZ.

We are conducting a paid online research discussion on behalf of Sony
and would like to invite you to participate. You were selected by Sony
as a qualified candidate for this study, and we are very much interested
in your opinions. By taking the survey at the link below, you will have
the opportunity to provide your direct feedback on Sony´s products and
services, and if selected to take part in the study, you´ll receive a
check for $125. You will also receive a pocket video camera to use for
this project, and it will be yours to keep after you complete the study.

That . . . or somebodies phishing me.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Sounds like an awesome deal, provided its legit.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Sounds great, but almost too good to be true. I'd check it out very carefully first. Haven't really heard of anyone getting $125 and a free video camera just for a survey before...
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

Well while it does sound dodgy at first if you read it properly the online "survey" is to see if you are suitable to take part in the "study" if you are suitable for the "study" that is when you get the $125 and by the sounds of it the camera is for recording yourself during the "study"
I have been paid $50 before just for answering 10mins worth of questions about how I use online map software, this study was done by Google before releasing Google maps however this was done in person not online.

I would still be very cautious about this though, check the survey if it asks dodgy details about your bank acc etc then I'd steer clear, if it seems legit then I'd ask them which branch of SONY is doing the research and then look that branch up in the phone book and call them to confirm it is for real, its always a good Idea to be careful about what personal information you give over until you can confirm that it is actually SONY and not a scam
Current System:
Previous 3D Systems:
SDM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SDM »

Hello all,

New here, but been following along for quite some time. Just received a HMZT1 yesterday, got the same survey offer via email as rowanunderwood. Was extremely suspicious, still am, but the bit of investigation I've done so far seems to point to it possibly being legit. I never receive any spam emails, have done my best over the years to avoid getting on their lists.

Don't know if I'd get chosen though, so far not having an easy time with the HMZ. Cannot get focus for both eyes, regardless the pad, or pad just removed. Spent a good 7-8 hours so far fiddling with distance, straps, etc, just seems impossible for both of my eyes to achieve focus across the full screen/s. Don't know what Sony was thinking with the fit of the device. Forehead pad is just plain painful to me after only a few minutes (when I get as close as I can to focus that is), though I don't have issues with the nose pad/opening (small nose I guess) others seem to have.

Will keep trying for a few days, but it just really feels like an early prototype rather than a finished product ready for the market. Happy for those who've had success with it, been waiting a VERY long time for something like this to finally come along, but no proper focus and pain aren't exactly things I was expecting, so I'll likely be returning it. Really hope a second version with flaws corrected comes about, but of course cannot count on that (only thing holding me back from returning it now).

Just for general info, I typically sit approx 3 feet away from a 25" monitor. To me the HMZ image actually appears at about the same distance away, but is larger than the monitor (by maybe 10%).

Any way, just thought I'd finally chime in here, let rowanunderwood know he's not the only one that got the survey invitation.
-Steve

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”