Nvidia glasses $199

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Nvidia glasses $199

Post by Tril »

Maybe. People still pay when they want a product. Most Blu-ray players are still costing around $200-$250 and people still buy them.

For me, those glasses will get interesting when more supported projectors are released (at a consumer price) and if they eventually support the Xbox 360 or another better console that does not exist yet.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

I dub thee Nvidia.... FAIL.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Okta wrote:I dub thee Nvidia.... FAIL.
I support that statement
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
VOXEL
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VOXEL »

At CES 2009 nVidia finally introduced technology 3D Vision, along with 120Hz monitors. : D
Now you can order a stereo glasses separately or bundled with a 120Hz monitor their site.
Someone from the readers of the site mtbs3d.com already purchased this product?
It is interesting to hear people's opinion about this product:).
Not yet could someone clarify the situation with stereo driver for the car stereo glasses nVidia 3D Vision?
It is not possible to download from the site to date: (, but it just comes with glasses.
Is it true that the driver will not support monitors Zalman?

PS: Would those who have purchased this device, put the contents of the disc in the CD section of "Mtbs3D files", please.
Last edited by VOXEL on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my bad english )
Xerion
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Xerion »

I would purchase them but so far it seems US only :/
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

yuriythebest wrote:
I support that statement
Why would you say such a thing on an advocacy website? Let your $ do the talking. If you don't want it, then don't buy it. We all need Nvidia to sell a boatload of these so that John Q Public realizes S3D CAN be a mainstream product! Every S3D manufacturer needs to be successful at this point. Once mass market adoption of some type of S3D technology is achieved, then those with more restrictive solutions will naturally fall by the wayside. Like Nvidia or not, they did an admirable job with marketing, packaging, and distributing their new product.

As far as the kit being display restrictive, I don't think that is the case at all:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/GeForce_3D ... ments.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please note that is states, "100 Hz and higher analog CRTs". So here is the generic shutter capability that everyone has been waiting for, yet no one has even commented on this... And... SLI is fully supported so all of your minimum framerates should go up considerably! I personally applaud Nvidia for taking this approach as they are at least trying to guarantee some type of minimum quality of the end users experience when using their products. The past approach of tossing drivers out on the net and letting all of us tinkerers tear it apart was good to get the technology started, but a more packaged solution was required to get it out of the hands of us tinkerers and into the hands the average consumer that doesn't know how to get to the Windows control panel.

IZ3D is doing exactly the same thing by including as much functionality in their package as they can (monitor, glasses, driver) so they can ensure a minimum experience quality and I don't see you slamming them... The cost of the total solution from Nvidia is comparable to the cost of IZ3D just a few short months ago. The prices will drop just like IZ3D's did. IZ3D list price was $1,000 when it was first introduced...

And just for the record, NO glasses can be used on ANY screen. Not IZ3D's, not EDimensional, not Crystaleyes, Not Zalmans. The reduction of ghosting is just as much a function of the display as it is the glasses. I personally commend Nvidia for addressing as much of the technology as they could and not leave it up to the user to shop for 10 year old shutterglasses on ebay only to publicly complain about ghosting. Notice that there isn't any mention of ghosting in these reviews...
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
VOXEL
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VOXEL »

Xerion wrote:I would purchase them but so far it seems US only :/
In general, more can be ordered like in Canada. For Europe, added later, probably.
Through Retailers have tried to order?
ssiu

Post by ssiu »

pixel67 wrote: As far as the kit being display restrictive, I don't think that is the case at all:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/GeForce_3D ... ments.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please note that is states, "100 Hz and higher analog CRTs". So here is the generic shutter capability that everyone has been waiting for, yet no one has even commented on this...
I had commented on it: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 843#p19843
ssiu wrote:The driver most probably checks for the glasses and is locked to the NVIDIA glasses only. So NVIDIA will probably post updated driver on the website soon, but we won't be able to use it anyways without buying the NVIDIA glasses.

But it seems like it is not locked to display type -- the website says old analog CRT monitor with >=100Hz refresh is supported! I bet it will work on new Viewsonic S3D projector too.

So for all the old timers mad at NVIDIA taking away shutter support on CRT --NVIDIA is finally bringing it back; it just wants us to pay. (That's not too unreasonable by itself, but $200 is IMO $50-$100 too expensive, and NVIDIA could have communicated its intentions clearly during the 2 years when it didn't update old drivers.)
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

VOXEL wrote:
Xerion wrote:I would purchase them but so far it seems US only :/
In general, more can be ordered like in Canada. For Europe, added later, probably.
Through Retailers have tried to order?
Yeah OK, Canada too and Puerto Rico and some US islands. But that wasn't my point ;) In any case, the only retailers listed on nvidia.com are CompUSA and TigerDirect, which seem to me as the same store, but then I might be mistaken. Also these stores only list the bundle with the samsung monitor, and I only want the glasses. Besides that I think they don't ship internationally either. (I don't consider Canada and Puerto Rico international really in this context)
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

ssiu wrote:
I had commented on it: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 843#p19843
Sorry for not giving you the credit ssiu.

I just hate seeing people bash Nvidia for what appears to be a very viable S3D solution that they don't own and have no intention of owning because it is made by the same company that took their "free" candy away. I am sure all of the tinkerers out there will find a way to dissect this kit and make it work with other display solutions, but in the meantime Nvidia should be given kudos for bringing out the kits and getting them in the hands of credible review sites. What makes MTBS so valuable is the amount of credible information contained within, not the rehashes of bitter feelings towards the pioneer that gave the industry life and just gave birth to a new baby...

Anyways, did you check out the reaction of the blond girl in the PC Perspective Review?

Priceless!!!
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

pixel67 wrote: The reduction of ghosting is just as much a function of the display as it is the glasses. I personally commend Nvidia for addressing as much of the technology as they could and not leave it up to the user to shop for 10 year old shutterglasses on ebay only to publicly complain about ghosting. Notice that there isn't any mention of ghosting in these reviews...
There is a review somewhere (don't remember which one) where they say they see double stuff (like a double sun and other random stuff). As for the whole solution itself, personally I think 22" is too small. 24"-26" I would be ok with. Hopefully there will be 24" monitors and larger coming out, as well as somebody maybe can get the drivers to work on 85HZ projectors.
iamcanadian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by iamcanadian »

Viewsonics 120 Hz projector not a bad price either. CDN $
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... =VIEWSONIC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I would like to see is the IZ3d drivers work with Shutters. Buy a projector like this instead of spending $400 on a 22" monitor. I would rather Pay $50.00 for good drivers and the same for edimensional glasses and your done. XP or Vista.
For me in CDN $ 250.00 for Nvidias Glasses I dont think so $480.00 for a monitor! Holy !@%@$!^!.
I hope the IZ3D team will continue their work on shutter support.
Okta

Post by Okta »

pixel67 wrote:
yuriythebest wrote:
I support that statement
Why would you say such a thing on an advocacy website? Let your $ do the talking. If you don't want it, then don't buy it. We all need Nvidia to sell a boatload of these so that John Q Public realizes S3D CAN be a mainstream product! Every S3D manufacturer needs to be successful at this point. Once mass market adoption of some type of S3D technology is achieved, then those with more restrictive solutions will naturally fall by the wayside. Like Nvidia or not, they did an admirable job with marketing, packaging, and distributing their new product.

As far as the kit being display restrictive, I don't think that is the case at all:

Please note that is states, "100 Hz and higher analog CRTs". So here is the generic shutter capability that everyone has been waiting for, yet no one has even commented on this... And... SLI is fully supported so all of your minimum framerates should go up considerably! I personally applaud Nvidia for taking this approach as they are at least trying to guarantee some type of minimum quality of the end users experience when using their products. The past approach of tossing drivers out on the net and letting all of us tinkerers tear it apart was good to get the technology started, but a more packaged solution was required to get it out of the hands of us tinkerers and into the hands the average consumer that doesn't know how to get to the Windows control panel.

IZ3D is doing exactly the same thing by including as much functionality in their package as they can (monitor, glasses, driver) so they can ensure a minimum experience quality and I don't see you slamming them... The cost of the total solution from Nvidia is comparable to the cost of IZ3D just a few short months ago. The prices will drop just like IZ3D's did. IZ3D list price was $1,000 when it was first introduced...

And just for the record, NO glasses can be used on ANY screen. Not IZ3D's, not EDimensional, not Crystaleyes, Not Zalmans. The reduction of ghosting is just as much a function of the display as it is the glasses. I personally commend Nvidia for addressing as much of the technology as they could and not leave it up to the user to shop for 10 year old shutterglasses on ebay only to publicly complain about ghosting. Notice that there isn't any mention of ghosting in these reviews...
Considering a lot of people already own shutter glasses or can buy them cheap as $9.99 NVidia is basicly charging $200US for a driver. Not only that but also making you buy Vista if you dont have it which is purely collusion with MS. Their glasses look good but i see no mention of phase or timing adjustment or any advanced features for tuning to eliminate ghosting you could expect from the latest greatest designed for multiple solutions.
If it turns out these glasses with work with 85hz projectors I would consider them but $200US is too steep and will seriously hamper the growth into mainstream when adding in a new display.

Who knows, maybe we will find out the the new driver will be a free download and support my xforce glasses...NOT.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

Okta wrote:
Considering a lot of people already own shutter glasses or can buy them cheap as $9.99 NVidia is basicly charging $200US for a driver. Not only that but also making you buy Vista if you dont have it which is purely collusion with MS. Their glasses look good but i see no mention of phase or timing adjustment or any advanced features for tuning to eliminate ghosting you could expect from the latest greatest designed for multiple solutions.
If it turns out these glasses with work with 85hz projectors I would consider them but $200US is too steep and will seriously hamper the growth into mainstream when adding in a new display.

Who knows, maybe we will find out the the new driver will be a free download and support my xforce glasses...NOT.
Any maybe IZ3D will support someone elses glasses. Not. Maybe Zalman? Nope.

These kits are NOT intended for the existing stereogamer that has a parts collection and they shouldn't be. They are designed to get 2D gamers into 3D gaming.
Let's see what the competition has to offer:

1. Edimensional glasses and IZ3D Drivers: $199.99
2. TriDef kit: 149.99 but you still need to buy game drivers so add the cost of IZ3D output or DDD game drivers and you are back at 199.99 or thereabouts.

Seems to me they are worth it. Batteries in the glasses are rechargable. Score another advantage. No dongle that can potentially degrade video quality through multiple adapters (VGA to DVI, DVI to HDMI) They look a heck of a lot better than the blocky ED's. I agree that since we don't know the specs of the glasses then it is up for debate, but the ED's I had laying around from past purchases (2 pair so I know it isn't isolated) made my DLP HDTV ghost like crazy after 30 minutes of use due to LCD uniformity, where several reviews have already claimed 3+ hours without a problem. On Vista, I can't fault them too much for that. Windows 7 is just around the corner anyway...
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
mkultra333
Cross Eyed!

Post by mkultra333 »

I'd consider them now if they allowed 85hz (CRT) monitors. Otherwise it will have to wait until my next full-system upgrade, which may be years away.
Okta

Post by Okta »

mkultra333 wrote:I'd consider them now if they allowed 85hz (CRT) monitors. Otherwise it will have to wait until my next full-system upgrade, which may be years away.
It is hinted at that they will but i would wait for someone to test it. Thus it should work with dlp projectors at 85hz as well.
VOXEL
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VOXEL »

Hey, there are already lucky living in the U.S. or Canada, which acquired Nvidia 3D Glasses Kit?
If so, share your experiences here :)
smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by smoothy »

is it possible to do active stereo with 2 projectors for a curved screen with these new nvidia shutterglasses?

Also is it possible to do passive polarized stereo 3d with two projectors with these nvidia shutterglasses?

Many thanks in advance
snaileri
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by snaileri »

When can we expect 3Dvision glasses to hit european market?
I can't find any NVIDIA e-mail address, so I can't ask it from them myself.
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

smoothy wrote:is it possible to do active stereo with 2 projectors for a curved screen with these new nvidia shutterglasses?

Also is it possible to do passive polarized stereo 3d with two projectors with these nvidia shutterglasses?

Many thanks in advance
Do you even know what you are talking about? Read up about what passive and active mean ;)
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

snaileri wrote:When can we expect 3Dvision glasses to hit european market?
I can't find any NVIDIA e-mail address, so I can't ask it from them myself.
You can ask questions through a form on the site, I have already asked this particular question amongst others, will see when they respond.
edgoll
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by edgoll »

Regarding feedback from a user.... we may need to wait a bit longer.. I have taken the plunge and ordered the kit with Samsung LCD from CompUsa but it seems they are not going to be shipping for 7 to 10 days. Not sure if the other vendors have the same delay. it seems all the order pages call it a preorder at this point so maybe they are sending all the initially available ones to reviewers.

As for NVIDIA bashing or cheering, I am just glad there seems to be several paths forward again in 3d. I have been 3d less for 2 years now and I NEED MY FIX again ! I'll report when/ if I receive my order.
Blackbird 002, Maingear
GPU: Nvidia geforce 3d glasses, VR Vive Pro, Oculus; Mothballed 3d hardware: eDdimensional, z800
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

edgoll wrote:Regarding feedback from a user.... we may need to wait a bit longer.. I have taken the plunge and ordered the kit with Samsung LCD from CompUsa but it seems they are not going to be shipping for 7 to 10 days. Not sure if the other vendors have the same delay. it seems all the order pages call it a preorder at this point so maybe they are sending all the initially available ones to reviewers.

As for NVIDIA bashing or cheering, I am just glad there seems to be several paths forward again in 3d. I have been 3d less for 2 years now and I NEED MY FIX again ! I'll report when/ if I receive my order.
Yes, please post back when you get them. Ghosting, brightness etc (especially ghosting, maybe first time on lcd monitor with working glasses).
iamcanadian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by iamcanadian »

Edgoll I eagerly await your review,since my kids LCD just went i now I need to buy A new one HOW Convenient!. But I thought the Samsung would not be out till April? I know the Viewsonic is out this month. The price for the Samsung is $50 less than the Viewsonic according to this
http://www.cdrinfo.com/sections/news/De ... wsId=24661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I dont see it listed at Samsung yet? 2233RZ if this is the one.
genetic
Cross Eyed!

Post by genetic »

pixel67 wrote:I just hate seeing people bash Nvidia for what appears to be a very viable S3D solution that they don't own and have no intention of owning because it is made by the same company that took their "free" candy away. I am sure all of the tinkerers out there will find a way to dissect this kit and make it work with other display solutions, but in the meantime Nvidia should be given kudos for bringing out the kits and getting them in the hands of credible review sites. What makes MTBS so valuable is the amount of credible information contained within, not the rehashes of bitter feelings towards the pioneer that gave the industry life and just gave birth to a new baby...

Wow, Im guessing that you already know what those of us that have been F-ed over by Nvida would say and Im guessing that you are ready to fire back with something like "I spent a lot of money on stuff too bla bla bla" well thats good for you. Spend more for all I care. Some of us don't have that option.

And what about us HMD people? Imagine that ALL S-3D was no longer available on new games. Now Imagine for a moment of abandoning S-3D and returning to flat gaming. Would you do it? Or would you just give up and seek out every pre 2007 game ever made and hold out with your S-3D in obscurity?

This is the choice for HMD people now thanks to Nvidia. This may be hard to understand but I can not go back to a monitor any more than you can go back to flat games.

as for the baby comment.

Well, if Nvidia murdered its ten year old child so that it could give birth to this one...........
johnoliver
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by johnoliver »

$200 is a bit too pricey considering other competitors' price....I can order a set of Samsung SSG1000 for the DLP tv for around $100...except there is no usb charging
GPU: nVIDIA 8800GT 512MB
PSU: Corsair 550W
RAM: 2GB
CPU: Intel Core 2, 2.13 GHz
Display: 61'' Samsung 3D-Ready LED DLP TV (HL61A750) + 22'' Samsung 2233rz for PC
Glasses: Nvidia 3D Vision kit
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

genetic wrote: Wow, Im guessing that you already know what those of us that have been F-ed over by Nvida would say and Im guessing that you are ready to fire back with something like "I spent a lot of money on stuff too bla bla bla" well thats good for you. Spend more for all I care. Some of us don't have that option.

And what about us HMD people? Imagine that ALL S-3D was no longer available on new games. Now Imagine for a moment of abandoning S-3D and returning to flat gaming. Would you do it? Or would you just give up and seek out every pre 2007 game ever made and hold out with your S-3D in obscurity?

This is the choice for HMD people now thanks to Nvidia. This may be hard to understand but I can not go back to a monitor any more than you can go back to flat games.

as for the baby comment.

Well, if Nvidia murdered its ten year old child so that it could give birth to this one...........
Yes, I already know where this conversation would end up. Sorry you still feel that way. And no, it is not hard to understand. I too would like to have my Z800 back but I sold a long time ago after Emagin bumped the price out of consumers reach. Like you, I was left wanting on the driver front but I blamed Emagin AND Nvidia. I bought the Z800 from Emagin and they were the ones who let me down by not having a firm deal with Nvidia to provide the software it needed to be a successful product. At least Vuzix is doing it right by having their own driver.

I was left with a choice...

I could either continue to feel like the victim or I could move with the industry. Feel free to search for my earlier posts as I have ranted and raved as well. But, I eventually chose the latter simply because my ranting wasn't helping. Yes, I throw a lot of money at my S3D PC gaming habit and that is my choice. As a result, I also lose a lot more money on my hobby and recoup some of those costs on ebay.

All of this aside, I still always come back to one simple fact. If Nvidia hadn't chosen the path they did then companies like IZ3D might not be as prominent in the community as they are now, and this message that I am typing wouldn't exist because MTBS likely wouldn't exist. In essence, Nvidia made it possible to have competition in this market and competition breeds innovation.
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
chrisjarram

Post by chrisjarram »

distantreader wrote:iZ3D should work on getting ATI pageflip shutter mode more urgently!
Once Nvidia comes out with their driver that works, it will be a bloody battle for consumers' wallets between David and Goliath!
I've been saying this for months - yet they are really dragging with this, its done them no favours but hopefully will give them the kick up the bum they need! ;)
XFX GTX 280 XXX,BFG 7900GTX,Q6600,4gbXMS2,3TB RAID,2xWD Raptors,MountainMods U2-UFO Case,1KW Thermaltake PSU, 3x BenQ MP720p,Full active sim setup inc actuators,shakers,wind,THX sound.CrystalEyes 3,6 wireless ED w/ hipower emitter.
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

chrisjarram wrote:
distantreader wrote:iZ3D should work on getting ATI pageflip shutter mode more urgently!
Once Nvidia comes out with their driver that works, it will be a bloody battle for consumers' wallets between David and Goliath!
I've been saying this for months - yet they are really dragging with this, its done them no favours but hopefully will give them the kick up the bum they need! ;)
I am sure this is coming, but it can't be easy work. IZ3D's previous work was based around a wrapper but this type of driver wouldn't need that. IZ3D keeps eluding to a fundamentally new architecture with their 2.0 release so lets hope that is the case.
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
genetic
Cross Eyed!

Post by genetic »

pixel67 wrote: Yes, I already know where this conversation would end up. Sorry you still feel that way. And no, it is not hard to understand. I too would like to have my Z800 back but I sold a long time ago after Emagin bumped the price out of consumers reach. Like you, I was left wanting on the driver front but I blamed Emagin AND Nvidia. I bought the Z800 from Emagin and they were the ones who let me down by not having a firm deal with Nvidia to provide the software it needed to be a successful product. At least Vuzix is doing it right by having their own driver.

I was left with a choice...

I could either continue to feel like the victim or I could move with the industry. Feel free to search for my earlier posts as I have ranted and raved as well. But, I eventually chose the latter simply because my ranting wasn't helping. Yes, I throw a lot of money at my S3D PC gaming habit and that is my choice. As a result, I also lose a lot more money on my hobby and recoup some of those costs on ebay.

All of this aside, I still always come back to one simple fact. If Nvidia hadn't chosen the path they did then companies like IZ3D might not be as prominent in the community as they are now, and this message that I am typing wouldn't exist because MTBS likely wouldn't exist. In essence, Nvidia made it possible to have competition in this market and competition breeds innovation.
Well the difference is that Emagin failed. Nvidia failed us. I can forgive failure but not betrayal.
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

johnoliver wrote:$200 is a bit too pricey considering other competitors' price....I can order a set of Samsung SSG1000 for the DLP tv for around $100...except there is no usb charging
And no game drivers but an extra $50 can add that from IZ3D. Still have to deal with the cost of batteries though...
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

genetic wrote:
Well the difference is that Emagin failed. Nvidia failed us. I can forgive failure but not betrayal.
Were you able to get your Z800 working with the IZ3D Drivers? I have seen several threads here and on the IZ3D forums that states it is working... The output mode used by Nvidia's new kit is really the same output that drove the Z800 in their older drivers. Now that their kit is released, it will be interesting to see if they open up their software licensing model just like IZ3D did with their drivers.
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
Okta

Post by Okta »

pixel67 wrote:Now that their kit is released, it will be interesting to see if they open up their software licensing model just like IZ3D did with their drivers.
All my spite tells me this wont happen.
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

Okta wrote:
pixel67 wrote:Now that their kit is released, it will be interesting to see if they open up their software licensing model just like IZ3D did with their drivers.
All my spite tells me this wont happen.
It seems like it would be the next logical step though in their marketing campaign. Right now they only have the kits up for sale. What about those that need extra glasses? They have to start dissecting these kits sooner or later because no one in their right mind would buy 2 kits just to get an extra pair of glasses. Unless I am missing something on their website...
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
chrisjarram

Post by chrisjarram »

iamcanadian wrote:Viewsonics 120 Hz projector not a bad price either. CDN $
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... =VIEWSONIC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or rather, that would be if it were the correct projector ;) You've made the common mistake of seeing '120hz' as a supported refresh when the native is almost certainly 85hz. Be very, very careful about that.

Viewsonic are releasing a true 120hz 3d unit next month (which IS stated as working with nVidia 3d vision), the PJD6220-3D - which will be $1499UDS. IMHO this will be the best solution yet - I'll snap one up the minute they are on the shelves.
XFX GTX 280 XXX,BFG 7900GTX,Q6600,4gbXMS2,3TB RAID,2xWD Raptors,MountainMods U2-UFO Case,1KW Thermaltake PSU, 3x BenQ MP720p,Full active sim setup inc actuators,shakers,wind,THX sound.CrystalEyes 3,6 wireless ED w/ hipower emitter.
Zeblade
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zeblade »

For the most part I agree with "pixel67" earlier post..

We've been waiting for Nvidia to do something with 3D and then they do. So the price is high yet they do the same with their graphic (even ATI) cards and guess what.. yep we still buy it. But lets come back from la la land. There is no way anyone can make whats put in that box for $9.99 or what ever. Where else can we go? Yep we cant so they like every over company out there can charge what every they want they , we all do it.

Come on.. no diff then APPLE ipod phone/itouch do you know the total cost to make them? HAHA not even close to 1/2 the cost we pay.. anyway.. I am just so happy to see NV doing something with 3D. It will in time get cheaper so I will support them and Iz3d we need both..
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

I send some questions to nvidia about the glasses a few days ago. Mainly whether I can set 85Hz for stereo and when they will be available in Europe. I have however written a quite elaborate story which the nvidia customer services rep. hasn't properly read judging from the reply I finally got today. I told them how I have a DLP projector that can do proper 85Hz, and they reply talking about how LCD response time is too slow. The question about Europe availability was completely ignored, which could be caused by being last in my mail, which I'm doubting they completely read. In any case, I have replied with a more direct asking of whether or not I can set 85 Hz in the driver and also if they could actually answer the other questions. I wish I could actually ask the engineer about the refresh rate directly :/
genetic
Cross Eyed!

Post by genetic »

pixel67 wrote:
genetic wrote:
Were you able to get your Z800 working with the IZ3D Drivers? I have seen several threads here and on the IZ3D forums that states it is working... The output mode used by Nvidia's new kit is really the same output that drove the Z800 in their older drivers. Now that their kit is released, it will be interesting to see if they open up their software licensing model just like IZ3D did with their drivers.
Well nobody has yet posted anything solid on Z800 + IZ3d yet. The popular opinion is that it would work with the new firmware but at a great loss to framerate and some kind of left right swapping problem. NOBODY has posted any real results.

I would love to test this but the cost of shipping the $25 firmware kit to my country is $70 dollars. But I have recently decided to burden a friend in the U.S. to send it to me (I hope it will be less expensive that way) but I need to wait a few weeks or so because I just had him send me a Novint Falcon and I don’t want to abuse him as a post office :D
genetic
Cross Eyed!

Post by genetic »

sorry, I just saw this.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 64&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

reading it now

Edit:
Basically, there isn’t a greater framerate drop, but rather the framerate must always be above 60fps or problems will occur.
If this is the way it will have to be, then that would mean that playing new games with the Z800 will require ultra high end PC upgrades constantly. But for the time being this may work as at least now it looks like I can finally upgrade.

Also, It looks like the new firmware may not be needed.
Last edited by genetic on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

Xerion wrote:I send some questions to nvidia about the glasses a few days ago. Mainly whether I can set 85Hz for stereo and when they will be available in Europe. I have however written a quite elaborate story which the nvidia customer services rep. hasn't properly read judging from the reply I finally got today. I told them how I have a DLP projector that can do proper 85Hz, and they reply talking about how LCD response time is too slow. The question about Europe availability was completely ignored, which could be caused by being last in my mail, which I'm doubting they completely read. In any case, I have replied with a more direct asking of whether or not I can set 85 Hz in the driver and also if they could actually answer the other questions. I wish I could actually ask the engineer about the refresh rate directly :/
You may want to try and send a message to one of the sites that reviewed the kit. They may be able to dig into the driver and tell you.
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”